The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
tascam uh7000 Audio Interfaces
Old 27th May 2016
U P D A T E

Hi Guys !
unfortunately my unit has the noise.
I am attaching a graph obtained with Arta software, mic levels at zero and open inputs
What a pity ... because the noise floor is basically very low indeed, peaks aside. Just those two nasty peaks ruin the overall effect ... i am studying the issue.

----

yes, but even the peaks are below -116db, so they will not be audible, correct?
Old 27th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfromHH View Post
U P D A T E
Hi Guys !
unfortunately my unit has the noise.
I am attaching a graph obtained with Arta software, mic levels at zero and open inputs
What a pity ... because the noise floor is basically very low indeed, peaks aside. Just those two nasty peaks ruin the overall effect ... i am studying the issue.

----
yes, but even the peaks are below -116db, so they will not be audible, correct?
Hi ! the graph for the Tascam is with gain set to 0.
I will see with the gain at max, the worst condition.
Regards, gino
Old 21st June 2016
Gear Maniac

Hi

I am looking for this, called the shop and they told me that I can`t use the dac for my studio monitors
if I connected out of aes tascam to spdif coaxial in on my octacapture, they told me that the conversion
would work but the monitoring is through my octacapture, so I`d lost the dac on the tascam, what I don`t
understand is if the converter work, why dont work the monitoring if I plunged my monitors to the out
of the tascam, seem like the UR824, would be a better solution for me, how do you
find the differnce between these two?, do you know if there are a possibility to make it work
with the octacapture like I told above and monitoring through the tascam???

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Portubong; 21st June 2016 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 21st June 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portubong View Post
Hi

I am looking for this, called the shop and they told me that I can`t use the dac for my studio monitors
if I connected out of aes tascam to spdif coaxial in on my octacapture, they told me that the conversion
would work but the monitoring is through my octacapture, so I`d lost the dac on the tascam, what I don`t
understand is if the converter work, why dont work the monitoring if I plunged my monitors to the out
of the tascam, seem like the UR824, would be a better solution for me, how do you
find the differnce between these two?, do you know if there are a possibility to make it work
with the octacapture like I told above and monitoring through the tascam???

Thanks in advance
Now I don't have any of these units (yet) but if you're going out of your tascam via the digital out into the digital in then yes, you will have to monitor through your octocapture as you are using the tascam mic preamps and sending out.

Surely to monitor through the tascam you would need to use you're octocapture as the master device and send the spidf out into the tascam aes in. This way you monitor through the tascam.

So to utilise both mic preamps and d a conversion you have to use 2 digital cables..

I hope I'm correct as this is why I've just purchased one..
Old 22nd June 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezed16 View Post
Now I don't have any of these units (yet) but if you're going out of your tascam via the digital out into the digital in then yes, you will have to monitor through your octocapture as you are using the tascam mic preamps and sending out.

Surely to monitor through the tascam you would need to use you're octocapture as the master device and send the spidf out into the tascam aes in. This way you monitor through the tascam.

So to utilise both mic preamps and d a conversion you have to use 2 digital cables..

I hope I'm correct as this is why I've just purchased one..
I don`t know, here when one person asked about connect the MR816,
was told to send out aes tascam to spdif in interface and I understand
send the monitor output of the octacapture to the line in on the
tascam, I didn`t understand very well the explanation from page 2
hope somebody can tell me exactly, since from the shop told me that
theorical should work but there are another things that maybe don`t
work as expected, what I am aiming is monitor with the tascam
and every channel 1-8 that I record with octacapture ad go through
the tascam line in (ad) too, I think going out aes to in spdif I get
the ad thing writed above, octacapture as master for stability, yes??,
so with another extra out spdif to in aes on tascam I get the
monitoring with the tascam or the way is on previous post page 2
explained that I believe not very clear i must say, send the monitor
output from the multi-interface to the line in on tascam?

Thank you for your answer, I wish somebody can help here to give
us the best way to do it.

Cheers

Last edited by Portubong; 22nd June 2016 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 22nd June 2016
Gear Maniac

Ah ok, I understand now seeing the back panels of both interfaces,
so if I do an da-ad loop while mixing will go through the ad on the
H-7000, I saw a review here changing their ideas between this
and the hilo, and felt ear fatigue and his system fail so switched again to the
hilo reporting best than ever, so even with this possible problems
I think that tascam do it really well¡¡, but i`d like to ask if some user here felt
something similar, if working by long time periods??, I think if tascam spend on
maturityof drivers and make a product on 1000 price range with better clocking and
quality of components. chips, etc I think could match 100% high end on the fatigue thing

Thanks

Last edited by Portubong; 22nd June 2016 at 01:34 AM.. Reason: cleaning
Old 22nd June 2016
Gear Maniac

one last question where to buy both digital wires in europe
here I found only thomann but Its 110 ohmios
so do I need to do it specialy for this?
Old 22nd June 2016
JAT
Lives for gear
Be careful. The Tascam 7000 only allows you to choose automatic and master for digital clock. 2 7000 can not sync up for 4x4 action since automatic never syncs and one of them will kill the digital in so as to prevent loop back. However, it should work fine with another standard digital in/out - I got it working w/ my old TC.

@
Old 22nd June 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
Be careful. The Tascam 7000 only allows you to choose automatic and master for digital clock. 2 7000 can not sync up for 4x4 action since automatic never syncs and one of them will kill the digital in so as to prevent loop back. However, it should work fine with another standard digital in/out - I got it working w/ my old TC.

@

So I understand that the UH-7000 work fine with interface that has the same
AES/EBU format, yes?, I think people here is using it in aes/spdif 75 ohmios,
so how is working for those people right now?, for octacapture seem to integrate best
with the DA-3000, since It has Spdif, the most important thing to me is recording while monitoring
so if the DA-3000 doesn`t have the headphone pot change to monitoring trick
I am out, but I think too that is a more expensive device, so I hope it`s as the UH-7000
on this regard, I called two times here in my country, one shop in barcelona and one in Madrid
and the guys didn`t know how it works, both told me that is very new and didn`t know
too much about it, one shop told me that it shoud work theorically, but he was like surprised
how half laughing about the aes/spdif, He didn`t tried that`s sure because I asked about,
but he was doubting hardly that depends of the interface, maybe is like you told us,
anyway, for the DA-3000 do I need two spdif or only one?, the idea is whatever
sound I record on the octacapture go straight to the ad on the DA-3000 while monitoring
in this last one but using the octacapture for stability and hardware inserts, synth with fx,
mics, octacapture has HI-z, what is not clear is if I need one or two spdif,
I am noob and didn`t buy anything so I would glad to do it the best way,
since the DA-3000 is a master maybe is better slave the octacapture to the
Da 3000??, I htink best way to either is use the main DA from the octacapture
to the preamp on the UH-7000 or the ad on the DA-3000, so I can record any synth
mic at the sime time while I am monitoring, in each interface would be out tascam in octa
Its select 9 or 9-10 and press record and when mixing same setup, only using the da
on the octacapture for loop and go through ad or preamp to record stems, individual tracks etc
if I am wrong or anyone think better way please, would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Portubong; 22nd June 2016 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: cleaning
Old 14th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
Something else - I bought a 2nd UH-7000 and tried to wire it into the first's digital in/out. However, the UH-7000s will only connect when one is set to "internal" while the other has to be set to "automatic." Internal kills the digital input, so you can't really use two units together. A shame.
This is bad! I was all set to buy a 2nd UH-7000.
Old 14th August 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
This is bad! I was all set to buy a 2nd UH-7000.
I was thinking about it too. I wonder if it's something they could fix with a driver revision.
Old 15th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I was thinking about it too. I wonder if it's something they could fix with a driver revision.
Would be nice but I'm not holding my breadth.

Its kind of a double whammy. Not only can you not connect two UH-7000s in full read/write mode. But whatever other interface/converter I choose for the 2nd device has to be the Master Clock for the Tascam - and I'm not going to get anything that I would feel comfortable with being the Master clock (quality wise) in the same price universe.

I would consider the Audients but those all have optical connections which I assume wont work with the Tascam's digital (over copper) XRLs.
Old 15th August 2016
Gear Guru

You can use the Audient with the Tascam with a Hosa ODL-312 to convert from AES to optical spdif.

My current thinking is I'll just use my Scarlett 18i8 as a master interface if I ever need compact mobile recording with the UH-7000. Those two make a pretty sensible little half rack stack that's easy enough to connect and configure, will fit in a suitcase.

The best no compromise combo would probably be the Presonus Studio 192 Mobile for me, not the Audient.
Old 15th August 2016
JAT
Lives for gear
I have one 7000 hooked up via usb to my main computer for stereo recording and output. I have a TASCAM US 20x20 which I got to work w/ the 7000 for when I need more than 2 ins here at home (not often).

The 2nd 7000 is on another computer. I can dump a project or mix to it, use it to output to my hardware for effecting/mastering, bring it into the other computer via the 7000 and voilà, have a mastered song (which was mostly the point of having a 2nd unit since I don't record 4 inputs that often.

the 7000 will in/out AES or spidf. Lynx in England has the proper cables for about $10 to go from XLR to RCA.

TASCAM said they have no real plans at this point to rewrite drivers which would allow you to use 2 units together as a 4X4. Which is a shame. They should make a 7008 or something, or drivers that simply allow you to stack 7000s into a multiple combo. Great product with lots of pro aspects except for stacking.
Old 15th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I msgd tascam about this and their reply was...

Hello. OK - Here's some detail: Yes. This will work. You will set the first unit to act as a Mic pre. You then go AES/EBU out to the "in" of unit #2 . Unit #2 is set to Interface mode and the clock source should be AES/EBU

Has anyone put this to practice?

Last edited by jezed16; 15th August 2016 at 06:55 PM..
Old 13th September 2016
Lives for gear

Made some changes to my DAW, and now my UH-7k's "Sample Clock Source" is defaulting to "Internal" instead of "Automatic".

Super annoying, anyone know how to fix this?

THANKS!
Old 23rd September 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezed16 View Post
I msgd tascam about this and their reply was...

Hello. OK - Here's some detail: Yes. This will work. You will set the first unit to act as a Mic pre. You then go AES/EBU out to the "in" of unit #2 . Unit #2 is set to Interface mode and the clock source should be AES/EBU

Has anyone put this to practice?
Oh cool!

sorry only have one still. If they say it will work though, I believe them.

I really think they should emulate UA and put comprehensive setup and application notes on their website for the whole public to read. Focusrite is good at this too, Mackie, etc.
Old 28th September 2016
Here for the gear

UH7000 Custom Linear Power Supply

Hi guys, I have spare PCBs that I made recently. Just to find out if anyone is interested in it.

It is simple drop-in replacement

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...psyd0aql42.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...psujpjdrpa.jpg
Old 31st October 2016
SEA
Lives for gear

UH-7000 vs. UR28M

I was wanting to AB the UH-7000 in Reaper with the UR28M on one project and the UH-7000 on the same project (2 identical projects opened at the same time) side-by-side (if this can be done).

This way I could listen to them and see how the units sounded next to each other. Of course cutting vocals tracks on each to hear if there was more detail in the UH-7000.

My ONE main concern is the latency on the UH-7000. Has it gotten better with the drivers?

Also, what about going OUT the AES into the RME HDSPe RayDAT (or one of the RME cards) to get the latency and the stability tight? Has anyone done this on the forum? I heard it can be done.

Thanks!
Old 31st October 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
My ONE main concern is the latency on the UH-7000. Has it gotten better with the drivers?
Latency is not so great and I'm not aware of any updates on that

Quote:

Also, what about going OUT the AES into the RME HDSPe RayDAT (or one of the RME cards) to get the latency and the stability tight? Has anyone done this on the forum? I heard it can be done.

Thanks!
My brother does exactly that with his RME UC. In his case he bought an adapter? I'll have to ask him later on tonight when I see him. Bottom line is it works fine as a stand alone AD/DA since it operates in stand alone. This way he has the latency and total mix of RME and the improved AD/DA of the Tascam.
Old 1st November 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Bottom line is it works fine as a stand alone AD/DA since it operates in stand alone. This way he has the latency and total mix of RME and the improved AD/DA of the Tascam.
I was wondering about this. So, without being connected to a computer, you can switch on the UH-7000, connect another interface via AES/EBU, and audio is converted automatically and available at the analogue outs?
Old 16th December 2016
Here for the gear

Does anyone have a problem with the LINK LINE button after updating the firmware and drivers?

Everything works fine initially straight out of the box. The LINK LINE button works perfectly until I updated the firmware to v1.07 and the driver to v1.02. Now it does not light up at all, even after I enabled the LINK LINE Button on the Interface panel.

Working on Windows 7 SP1 64bit. Please help!
Old 5th January 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musings View Post
Does anyone have a problem with the LINK LINE button after updating the firmware and drivers?

Everything works fine initially straight out of the box. The LINK LINE button works perfectly until I updated the firmware to v1.07 and the driver to v1.02. Now it does not light up at all, even after I enabled the LINK LINE Button on the Interface panel.

Working on Windows 7 SP1 64bit. Please help!

You have to press it a bit longer, but not same long as the phantom activation requires.
Old 11th January 2017
Here for the gear

Sorry for the late response. I let it rest for a couple of weeks, and than tried it again without any problems. So I don't have a clue what caused the problem, and what solved it. I hope your's is flawless...
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Guru

I just wanted to make a public note that the Focusrite Clarett has knocked the UH-7000 out of the top position for me. It's my new #1 favorite sounding interface.

It just gives that tiny little bit of extra clarity, like a 5% increase. They are really, really close, but the Clarett just pips it to the post for me.
Old 11th January 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
I just wanted to make a public note that the Focusrite Clarett has knocked the UH-7000 out of the top position for me. It's my new #1 favorite sounding interface.

It just gives that tiny little bit of extra clarity, like a 5% increase. They are really, really close, but the Clarett just pips it to the post for me.
Would that be the Clarett 2Pre?
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Would that be the Clarett 2Pre?
In my case, it's the 8PreX, but I would be just as happy with any of them depending on my channel count needs.

The 2Pre does seem to be the one closest to the UH-7000 in price and features. The main advantages are Thunderbolt computer connection, seperate headphone level (SUPER loud), and IMO slightly improved sound quality. At least closer to my own ideal.

For an extra hundred bucks though, I would immediately step up to the more fully featured 4Pre. You just get so much more.
Old 11th January 2017
Here for the gear
Yes i use Raydat and UH 7000 AES connection - basically the UH 7000 Running as a DAC or preamp when i need to .

Cant beat it as a combination . Set Tascam to automatic (clock), RME as master and you have crystal clear sound .

Use it at 96 or 48 , 24 bit.

Couple of things to note, if you use the Raydat channels for audio in windows also , it can create some problems at low latency settings - but then again you really should not be using the windows audio with Raydat anyway!

Thinking about getting the RME ADI-2 Pro 2 , but i think the gains will be minimal for the price (Even though it looks like it is going to be a mighty fine ADDA)
Old 12th January 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
In my case, it's the 8PreX, but I would be just as happy with any of them depending on my channel count needs.
Right.

Would you know, does your Clarett work in standalone mode..?
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Right.

Would you know, does your Clarett work in standalone mode..?
Tui, there's Clarett OctoPre, which is a standalone version with ADAT I/O.

https://global.focusrite.com/mic-pres/clarett-octopre
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search