The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What happened to Aphex IN2 Audio Interfaces
Old 25th June 2014
Lives for gear
What happened to Aphex IN2

Anybody having tried it ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb4OI-Wt6wg
Old 27th June 2014
Gear Head

yea and not one review anywhere,,strange.
Old 28th June 2014
I found it in stock at an online music dealer.
Old 28th June 2014
Gear Maniac

I bought one kinda on a whim. It took over 6 months from the time of the order till it arrived which was about 2 months ago (and isn't Aphex located in Sun Valley? this is about 10 minutes from where I work). It took so long that I forgot about it. My dealer didn't know why it took so long to arrive. Maybe Aphex is having some "issues"? Well I have no real use for it so I haven't even opened the box so I couldn't even say how well the thing performs. My guess is the IN2 would have a hard time competing against the stuff from Apogee and their great marketing. I can however heartily recommend the Aphex Headpod 4 headphone distribution amp. I use that all the time and it's great.
Old 28th June 2014
Gear Head

You bought it but hasn't even tried it?
Seriously dude, take one for the team and try it over the weekend.
please

What could make it a hit is if the latency due to the drivers AND the chip(on pc) makes low latency possible and if the built in optical limiters have a "musical" quality.
Old 10th July 2014
Gear Head

I'm so disappointed with this product.

It does not have direct hardware monitoring or a DSP to help achieve zero-delay monitoring of source audio.
let me explain so that those of you who may not have any or little experience with an external audio interface/sound card can understand.

When you plug an instrument/microphone into the IN2 you can clearly see it receives a signal but you cant hear anything.
You need to connect it to a DAW and from within your chosen program sett up software monitoring, and for this to work you need to have a really strong processor and a fast hard-drive or else you meet "MR latency".

Let me make it even more clear,due to the lack of hardware monitoring you can NOT use this device to play/sing along your favorite tracks on for example Spotify.
That sucks!
I don't know who they made this product for but i do think i know why there are no serious reviews of it and why almost no one seem to wanna sell it.?
Old 25th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by andytheswede View Post
I'm so disappointed with this product.

It does not have direct hardware monitoring or a DSP to help achieve zero-delay monitoring of source audio.
let me explain so that those of you who may not have any or little experience with an external audio interface/sound card can understand.

When you plug an instrument/microphone into the IN2 you can clearly see it receives a signal but you cant hear anything.
You need to connect it to a DAW and from within your chosen program sett up software monitoring, and for this to work you need to have a really strong processor and a fast hard-drive or else you meet "MR latency".

Let me make it even more clear,due to the lack of hardware monitoring you can NOT use this device to play/sing along your favorite tracks on for example Spotify.
That sucks!
I don't know who they made this product for but i do think i know why there are no serious reviews of it and why almost no one seem to wanna sell it.?
Bummer about having to open a daw to route sound from the inputs. I just got one today, and sure enough have to open up pro tools in order to hear my keyboard through the inputs. I thought there might have been something in the control panel, nope. Too bad, as the converters and preamps sound good on this.
Old 26th February 2015
Gear Head

Yea the preamps,the limiting and the ad/da sounded great.
They kind of shot themselves in the foot with this one.
It could have been the next great external soundcard for low/mid end users instead I think it will be discontinued.
Old 26th February 2015
It reminds of when I had the native instruments komplete audio 6. Inputs 3&4 had no sound, and I was pulling my hair out wondering what was going on, until I found out they worked through the daw as well. I do like the sound of the aphex, and I haven't made up my mind whether I want to get rid of it or not - I am really impressed with the sound. For a workaround, I named a pro tools session "aphex" and saved it, so I could just open it up on the fly when I want to hear the inputs on the aphex. An aphex control panel with routing would likely solve this problem. I ran itunes at the same time I was running the pro tools session to control the inputs on the aphex. There were no issues running both at the same time. I just look at it as the pro tools being my "control panel" for the aphex. I had the h/w buffer size in pro tools down to 64 samples! I haven't been able to do that in a while with the interfaces I've had of late.
Old 27th February 2015
Ok so for anyone that's interested: I'll admit at first I was going to return the unit, but the da conversion on this unit was just so incredible, and the headphone volume was pumped! I could drive my Sony MDr's with no problem with low volume. And the latency is really incredible for a usb device - reminds me of RME in this regard. So it was a toss-up. I decided to hold on to it, until I could put it through the paces as far as the ad conversion and the preamps. When my new keyboard came in, I put it through the line inputs, and was blown away by the sound. I also have a direct box, which I went through the xlr's on the back, and it sounded fantastic, warm, analog - just like I like my sound. Then I ran a latency test by putting one of my favorite plugins on a track in pro tools. I could use the plugin with different settings and no latency I could detect! I actually put a few plugins on the track just to be sure. So, I'm impressed. I also had another issue where I was getting drop outs, clicks, and the like. I have a newer laptop with usb 3 ports, and it was frustrating with the droputs and stuff. I tried different ports, and it would solve the problem, but then it'd come right back. So what I did was plug it into my usb 2 hub, and haven't had a problem since. So there's my two cents on it. I will be getting a SM7b shortly, and will see how that works out.
Old 25th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Just a follow up:
finally took the IN2 out of the box and have been using it for a few weeks as my "late at night" minimal system with a trash can Mac Pro and Sony headphones playing back Youtube and computer audio plus Ableton Live with a few soft synths (USB2 cable from the IN2 directly into one of the USB3 ports on the Mac Pro). I have been pleasantly surprised how great this unit sounds and functions. I have never recorded anything into the IN2 but just use it as a headphone playback system so no comment on the mic pres. The headphone amp sounds fantastic and I am listening at a very modest volume level so suffice to say that the amp could blow out your ears if you dial in loud volume. I shot it out with an Apogee One (the newer model) and the IN2 sounds better, I'd say much better. I was also using a Dangerous Source which I just love and I think the IN2 headphone amp sounds better. When I first hooked the IN2 up, it was running at 192kHz without me realizing and I didn't encounter a hitch. Now I run at 48kHz and a really low buffer size (I think 128) and I get no hickups with Live (I think the Mac Pro also helps). I basically can't detect any latency when playing my MIDI keyboard. The form factor also works well for me.
So if you are looking for a really simple USB audio interface, you should check this out.
Old 27th February 2017
Here for the gear

Got one for £75 from Bax...fantastic..wish I;d bought the lot
Old 9th June 2018
Gear Addict
So if the mic pres work fine, how does it operate with the SPDIF/digital output acting as a slave to a master interface? I want to get it to add 2 channels to my 8 channel roland octacapture.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search