The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Key players: Does buying Push feel like you're a drummer buying a drum computer?
Old 19th June 2014
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Polarelch's Avatar
 

Key players: Does buying Push feel like you're a drummer buying a drum computer?

Hi. I consider buying Push as a controller for Ableton.

If you're not a keys player, please stop reading.

I assume it's the controller with the most "control" over various functions on the market - that's why. I don't intend to play Push like an instrument, but I'm aware it's sold and marketed as one to people who can't play keys.

Well I've been playing keys over 30 years before Push came out, so I wonder if other players feel as insulted and feel their talent being attacked and labeled as "not needed anymore" as I am, because of Push, and how it's marketed and received by many.

Am I the devil's advocate if I buy this?
Will it be a great enough controller for my recording software (I'm not a DJ ) Ableton? I assume Ableton is still that as well, after all?
Even though they ridiculously let down the producers who want to work with the arrangement view.

Old 19th June 2014
  #2
Lives for gear
 
login's Avatar
Yes, it kind of feels like cheating, but the layout can lead to some exploration.

I don't why you think it's targeted at dj's, it's for production. For Djing I would say it sucks because it lacks of faders.

Do you intend to use the step sequencers? Because if not I feel It will be a waste of money for you. Yes, it provides a lot of integrated control for live but focused on the workflow Push offers. IMHO it's UI was designed to make the workflow they present in numerous videos possible, so it's not so good if you have your own and don't intend to use the keyboard layout and the sequencers.

Checkout Nativekontrol.com scripts, PXT which expands Push controls over arrengement, but also their scripts for other controllers which might give you the deeper integration you are seeking without Push.
Old 19th June 2014
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Polarelch's Avatar
 

Yeah, I probably didn't put it well enough - I meant that Ableton itself feels like it's more targeted at DJs rather than musicians / producers lately.
And let's not start this "are DJs musicians?" debate now

I will make use of the step seqencing feature. Definitely. However I wonder if it's restricted to Drum Racks or if I can also sequence - say - Battery with it. I'd use it anyway though.
I also don't reaaally have an own workflow yet, so I kind of look for hardware to put me in some direction. My idea is to record beats, bass and other "rhythmic" parts of my music in clips / Session view and then record more "free" stuff like piano, leads and vocals in arrangement view.
However, beat creation remains the biggest hurdle for me, as beat doesn't play a big role in my music. I just feel I have to do it, and still look for "my" way that I think is most fun and least brain-heavy. Step sequencing is always more inviting to me than pads based / MPC-style beat creation.
I guess Push would be perfect for that as it also seems to offer dedicated buttons for double, duplicate, quantize, fixed length, etc.
It lacks faders, which I always find a waste of space and money.

I had a look at the new APC40mkII and thought - apart of the new colours and the Session button - they only removed useful stuff and on the other side added useless stuff for my needs.
Old 19th June 2014
  #4
Lives for gear
 
barryfell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch View Post
Yeah, I probably didn't put it well enough - I meant that Ableton itself feels like it's more targeted at DJs rather than musicians / producers lately.
In what way?

Quote:
I will make use of the step seqencing feature. Definitely. However I wonder if it's restricted to Drum Racks or if I can also sequence - say - Battery with it. I'd use it anyway though.
Yes you can sequence Battery with it after a little setting up.

Quote:
I also don't reaaally have an own workflow yet, so I kind of look for hardware to put me in some direction. My idea is to record beats, bass and other "rhythmic" parts of my music in clips / Session view and then record more "free" stuff like piano, leads and vocals in arrangement view.
However, beat creation remains the biggest hurdle for me, as beat doesn't play a big role in my music. I just feel I have to do it, and still look for "my" way that I think is most fun and least brain-heavy. Step sequencing is always more inviting to me than pads based / MPC-style beat creation.
I guess Push would be perfect for that as it also seems to offer dedicated buttons for double, duplicate, quantize, fixed length, etc.
It lacks faders, which I always find a waste of space and money.

I had a look at the new APC40mkII and thought - apart of the new colours and the Session button - they only removed useful stuff and on the other side added useless stuff for my needs.
Sounds like Push should work out well for you then.
Old 21st June 2014
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Polarelch's Avatar
 

In what way... well, I can't list anything specific here, it's just my general impression. One example though is, the new APC40 Mk2 adds features that DJs will find more useful than producers who often work with the arrangement view would. The session view is great indeed, but the arrangement view is downright let down, both in Ableton development and on controllers. You'd hardly find a stop button on any ableton-specific controller. The old APC40 had one, the new one doesn't. It's essential for me to stop in arrangement view and return to start by hitting it again - just an example.

I think I'll try Push. It has by far the most buttons for various features, and I like the coloured pads a lot. I'm just angry at myself to have missed the sale, but I couldn't decide quickly enough.... :/
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump