The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your favorite mixing/mastering and effects plugin "kit"? Dynamics Plugins
Old 25th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Your favorite mixing/mastering and effects plugin "kit"?

The headline says it all. Very curious about what people here use for these tasks, partly because I'm in a situation where that can be very helpful. Good plugin bundles are the best, but single plugins is great too. Requirements are : not overly expensive (judge by yourself) and must work great together, hence "kit".

Looking for the normal type of mixing/mastering and effects plugins:
- EQ
- Limiter
- Compressor
- Multiband Compressor
- Other, for example Stereo Imager

- Reverb
- Delay
- Disortion
- Filter (may fit in same category as above)
- Saturator
- Other

Very curious to hear your favorites
Old 26th May 2014
Gear Addict

Ozone...

Any "kit" is impossible to make up as every song/style would have you reach for a different chain...

Flux, waves, voxengo, etc they all have kits that somebody use
Old 26th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jDroid View Post
Ozone...

Any "kit" is impossible to make up as every song/style would have you reach for a different chain...

Flux, waves, voxengo, etc they all have kits that somebody use
Meant like different plugins that work great together as a plugin "kit".
Old 26th May 2014
Gear Addict

Yeah I know but I think this can't be answered... because like API2500 can work wonders on 2 tracks but one will come to life with L2 and the other one with Ozone Maximizer.

Learning the different sonic nuances of the plugins is all trial and error... and preference...

It's about what kind of bell resonance your looking for eq and etc etc, I'm not trying to sink this thread. It's really just how it is....

Though i can say ozone is great, using an api here and there, flux too but aint got money for flux yet... :(
Old 26th May 2014
Lives for gear

They don't need to be in the same bundle or made by the same maker to work perfect together.

If you want most featured and totally transparent plugins DMG Audio are the best ones. He used to work for Focusrite and done work for Sonalksis. Not the cheapest plugs but he puts more into them than any other.

The only sense in using a bundle for me is the upcoming Slate Digital VMR which is two vintage EQ and two vintage compressors plus a top secret free plugin. These all open in the same plugin GUI so keeps all the controls together.

- EQ DMG Audio EQuilibrium is every EQ in one.
- Limiter DMG Audio Compassion does all dynamics types or Fab Filter Pro-L
- Compressor DMG Audio Compassion, Soundtoys Devil-loc for nasty compression, Slate Digital VBC for coloured compressors.
- Multiband Compressor DMG Audio Compassion
- Other, for example Stereo Imager Soundtoys Microshift no ilok required

- Reverb Valhalla Vintage Verb, cant find anything that beats it for that 80s reverb.
- Delay Soundtoys Echoboy, Primetime or Ubermod if on a budget still sounds like it cost £80.
- Disortion Soundtoys Decapitator and Radiator
- Filter (may fit in same category as above) Cytomic, Soundtoys
- Saturator Soundtoys, Slate Digital
- Gate Fab Filter Pro-G
Old 26th May 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboom75 View Post
They don't need to be in the same bundle or made by the same maker to work perfect together.

If you want most featured and totally transparent plugins DMG Audio are the best ones. He used to work for Focusrite and done work for Sonalksis. Not the cheapest plugs but he puts more into them than any other.

The only sense in using a bundle for me is the upcoming Slate Digital VMR which is two vintage EQ and two vintage compressors plus a top secret free plugin. These all open in the same plugin GUI so keeps all the controls together.

- Compressor DMG Audio Compassion, Soundtoys Devil-loc for nasty compression, Slate Digital VBC for coloured compressors.

- Reverb Valhalla Vintage Verb, cant find anything that beats it for that 80s reverb.
- Delay Soundtoys Echoboy, Primetime or Ubermod if on a budget still sounds like it cost £80.
- Gate Fab Filter Pro-G
Sure.. but that doesn't answer the op's question...
Old 26th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jDroid View Post
Sure.. but that doesn't answer the op's question...
Actually it does. This is what I am looking after. Being made by the company or being in a bundle is a pro, not a necessity.
Old 26th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:

- Gate Fab Filter Pro-G
Great list! Was initially put of by DMGAudio's hefty price tag, but I will give them a go. If they are that flexible, I have to try them out. And does Soundtoys require an iLok?
Old 26th May 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimano45 View Post
Actually it does. This is what I am looking after. Being made by the company or being in a bundle is a pro, not a necessity.
......Ok, im out
Old 27th June 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:

- Gate Fab Filter Pro-G
Hello kaboom75
I just saw your list...
I actually have most of the plugins you listed and I am currently demoing DMG EQuilibrium and COMPassion. I saw that you listed Pro Zg as your go to Gate. Just curious, why did you chose Pro G over the COMPassion gate?
Also, do you have experience with Pro C? How does that compare?
Lastly, you mentioned Slate VMR, what do you think that would offer that you can't already accomplish with both DMG plugs?
Sincerely,
Prem
Old 27th June 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
- Limiter DMG Audio Compassion does all dynamics types
You use compassion for limiting full mixes? Interesting. I have never tried it for that. (I use the Ozone limiter for that usually).

For the rest, I concur. DMG Equilibrium for nearly all my EQ duties and Compassion for nearly all compression tasks.

Alistair
Old 27th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The headline says it all. Very curious about what people here use for these tasks, partly because I'm in a situation where that can be very helpful. Good plugin bundles are the best, but single plugins is great too. Requirements are : not overly expensive (judge by yourself) and must work great together, hence "kit".

- EQ
- Limiter
- Compressor
- Multiband Compressor

- Reverb
- Delay
- Disortion
- Saturator
- Other

What I use all the time, to gain stage:
Klanghelm's "VUMT" meters.

Here's what I tend to use most:

EQ:
Overall: Sonimus' "SonEQ Pro (love the LP and HP filters in this eq), or PSP's "Noble Q", sometimes Softube's EQF-100, it's a sweet sounding eq.
Surgical: DMG Equality

Compression:
Kush's "UBK-1", Klanghelm's "DC8C", Wave's "CLA Classic Comps", Softube's TLA-100A, Massey's "CT5.", PSP's "BussPressor."
Most used: UBK-1 and DC8C.

Limiter

Slate's "FG-X" or Abbey Road's "TG12413"

Multiband comp... can't remember the last time I used one.
Stereo image plug... see, "Multiband comp"

Reverb:
Valhalla "Vintageverb" or "Room", Exponential Audio's "Phoenix." Both companies make great sounding reverb plugs, in my opinion.

Delay:
PSP's "Echo" (LOVE this thing!), Massey's "TD5)

Distortion:
Soundtoys' "Decaptitator", or "Devil-Loc"

Saturation:
Klanghelm's "SDRR", PSP's "Vintage Warmer", Soundtoys' "Radiator"... use all 3 all the time, when needed.

"Other"...
Channel emulations: Slate's "VCC", Wave's "REDD" and "Kramer HLS Channel."
Tape: Slate's "VTM"

As far as a "kit", the only thing that's always on every channel is the VUMT plug to get everthing gain staged. Do that first and you've made life much easier on yourself.
From there, probably the Sonimus SonEQ plug, for the HPF and LPF especially, then maybe a comp like the UBK-1 and that's it.
On the 2 buss, usually Slate's virtual mixbuss, then maybe a little parallel comp and eq, then Slate's VTM at the end. A lot of times it's just Slate's mixbuss and VTM.

That about covers it, hope that helps!
Old 6th July 2014
Gear Maniac

This is just based on what I own and use, but might include some wishlist items...

- EQ - Stillwell Vibe EQ, Fabfilter ProQ, Voxengo Gliss EQ, Sonimus SonEQ Pro.
- Limiter - Elephant
- Compressor - Stillwell Major Tom, sknote C165a, Massey CT5, Mellowmuse CP2V, Cytomic The Glue.
- Multiband Compressor - CamelAudio CamelPhat (actually a very useful single band comp), Ableton Multiband.
- Other, for example Stereo Imager - Stillwell Transient Monster

- Reverb - Valhalla Vintage Verb, Room Verb, TAL reverb, Stillwell Verbiage
- Delay - Ableton L/R delay, TAL Dub II, Fxpansion Bloom.
- Disortion - Fabfilter Saturn
- Filter (may fit in same category as above) - VPS Philta, TAL filter.
- Saturator - Fabfilter Saturn, Massey Tapehead, Sonimus Satson.
- Other - TAL Chorus, Valhalla Shimmer, CamelAudio CamelSpace.

Last edited by rogernotroger; 6th July 2014 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: just bought SonEQ Pro...
Old 6th July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:

- EQ
- Limiter
- Compressor
- Multiband Compressor

- Reverb
- Delay
- Disortion
- Saturator
- Other

-Pro Q - a game changer (also use DMG Equality)
-Ozone & DAW's limiter
-Reaxcomp
-don't use stereo imagers, just delays.

-Poor plate by Vacuum Sound
-DAW's delay
-haven't cared for any distortion plugs, I prefer hardware.
Old 28th December 2014
MAster Eq -> Brainworx Digital V2: the only one I know with m/s, graphic, desser and mono-maker...the auto listen is a super great tool for quick listen of each frequency
Old 29th December 2014
Lives for gear
Compressors : Uad Manley Vary Mu,Brainworx Shadow Hills,Acustica Shadow Hills (Will Be in the chain)Native instruments Vary Mu,Toneboosters Buscomp,Sonoris Mastering Comp

Eqs:Uad Massive Passive,Acustica Amber,Equillibrium or Cambridge EQ both most sharpest and precise eq's ever build

Limiters:Toneboosters Barricade (Transparent,Smooth)Sonnox Oxford (Destroyer,loudness)

Saturation : Slate Revival ,Henry Olonga Mojo Series for Nebula
Old 29th December 2014
Old 29th December 2014
Lives for gear
Honestly for something inexpensive most DAWS come with everything you need to create a professional mix. If you are looking to step it up from there I probably wouldnt cheap out when it comes to eq compression and reverb. For eq and compression id recommed fab filter and/or slate mix rack. For reverb Id recommend valhalla as a great cheap option and the e.a.r. Reverbs for nebula as well. Lexicon pcm is great too and not too expensive now.
Old 29th December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:

- EQ
- Limiter
- Compressor
- Multiband Compressor

- Reverb
- Delay
- Disortion
- Saturator
- Other

the following are my current favorites/bread and butter/goto tools (while
a variety of others are used on as needed basis):

plugins:
- EQ vmr, uad pultec, waves api, tg12345 strip eq section
- Limiter slate fg-x
- Compressor uad la2a and 1176 series, softube cl1b
- Multiband Compressor ozone 5
- Other, for example Stereo Imager tg12345 strip stereo widener section

- Reverb phoenixverb, uad lexicon 224, uad emt140
- Delay echoboy
- Disortion radiator, reaktor, guitar rig, boz digital sasquach, omnipressor
- Filter (may fit in same category as above) acustica nebula moog and urei filters
- Saturator uad studer, magma, guitar rig
- Other uad api strip (gate and preamp sections), uad oxford inflator,
hornet autogain/vu meter, waves lowair subharmonic synth,
sibyla, lisp,& toneboosters deesssers, amazing slowdowner
Old 29th December 2014
Here for the gear

the Nomad plugins are legit ... Love using liquid delay for ambient vibes
Old 29th December 2014
EQ: Waves H-EQ is one of the best flexible EQs I have tried as well as Waves SSL EQ

Compression: I have to admit that the Softube FET Compressor did really amaze me how analog it sounds ... I have also the Waves CLA Compressors that are quite nice as well as the Logic Pro X Compressor can sometimes finish any job you want

Delays: you can't go wrong with Waves H-Delay as well as the new free plugin offered by Native Instruments Called Replika ...

Other FXs: You can't go wrong with Camel Audio Effects ... you have to try them ...
Old 29th December 2014
Gear Guru
For a "system" try SkNote Stripbus. Very nice options and deep. Will be updated. Harrison Mixbus is a great system also if you can forgo midi and 64 bit. EQ compression saturation, really nice way to go. You can compliment SkStrip with the Hornet 34 eq which is very cool since strip offers tweaking eq, not real sculpting. Low money. Almost another system in an emulation is Klanghelm SDRR, great tool and very deep, again with the hornet eq great combo. For a compressor UBK-1 is another system deal since it does more.
Old 29th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacnadon View Post
[..]
Eqs: [..] Equillibrium or Cambridge EQ both most sharpest and precise eq's ever build
Even sharper and more precise as Acon Digital Equalize? Or did you perhaps have not tried that EQ yet? If not, you should, it makes you forget the UAD Cambridge. heh

And no, I'm not an UAD hater, I have a nice collection of amazing UAD plugins, but the Cambridge EQ I have no use for anymore. Equalize has got me covered!
Old 30th December 2014
Lives for gear

Metric Halo Production Bundle
Old 31st December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando View Post
Even sharper and more precise as Acon Digital Equalize? Or did you perhaps have not tried that EQ yet? If not, you should, it makes you forget the UAD Cambridge. heh

And no, I'm not an UAD hater, I have a nice collection of amazing UAD plugins, but the Cambridge EQ I have no use for anymore. Equalize has got me covered!
well i didn't tried to be fair so i cant comment on it but will follow ur opinion and try it.

I still like some of the filters in the cambridge they have very good selection of high pass filters on it.It would make some sense this plugin to be updated with some analyser,mid side mode, more bands,probably fir filters as well!
Old 31st December 2014
this is all "mastering chain" stuff that may or may not appear on my submix...not including bus compression (with vbc) as that's very obviously a strict mixing thing

pro-q 2 (probably using natural phase) with a very slight matching curve from my closest sounding reference

saturn set to whatever tape mode I suits the material...oversampled, obviously

pro-c...usually set pretty lightly...it's transparent enough so that I can usually get additional gluing without any serious audible compression

pro-mb tweaked very heavily...not necessarily a ton of processing but carefully chosen...I usually start "forcing" the bass to mono with this one...I'll usually oversample this pretty heavily

waves center to very subtlety widen if necessary

maybe pro-q 2 again set to natural or linear phase for any additional tweaks and maybe a high pass

pro l set to achieve the appropriate rms and paying close attention to musicality and the ever important isp detection

the order itself could change accordingly but hey...that's not really what this is about anyway...you could take away everything but my fabfilter plugins and id still be able to operate just fine...they aren't exactly the cheapest plugins but they're my favorite sounding in many cases and they're great to work with...if we're being honest, though, you could get very similar results using ozone...it's a very good suite and contains some form of every one of the processors I use
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search