The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FOCUSRITE SCARLETT 2i2 no audio problem!
Old 29th April 2014
Here for the gear

FOCUSRITE SCARLETT 2i2 no audio problem!

Hi guys! Well Im really desperate and need some help ´cause the guys of Focursite didn´t answer. Well I have this issue. I bought a Scarlett 2i2 and used it for around a week with no problems. I plugged it yesterday and for some reason it didn´t process audio. What do I mean by this? Eveything is ok, my DAW recognizes the interface, I checked the output and input settings in my DAW and mac but audio doesn´t come out. I tried to record something with the mic but audio didd´t come in. Its something really weird. Also when i plug my interface the leds from the channels turn orange and light up a few times. PLEASE I NEED HELP IM REALLY DESPERATE.
Old 29th April 2014
Gear Head
what about gain level on Scarlet? check gain level on the interface
Old 29th April 2014
Gear Head
Note the Scarlett 2i2 has no “Mic/line” switch – the Focusrite preamplifier stage is automatically configured for a microphone when you plug an XLR into the input, and for a line or instrument when you connect a jack plug. Set the LINE/INST switch next to the socket to INST if you are connecting a musical instrument (a guitar in the example) via an ordinary 2-pole (TS) guitar jack, or to LINE if you are connecting a line level source such as the balanced output of a stage piano via a 3-pole (TRS) jack. Note the Combo connector accepts both TRS and TS types of jack plug.
Old 29th April 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturio View Post
what about gain level on Scarlet? check gain level on the interface
Everything was working fine. Audio came in and out but one day it just stopped working. Computer recognizes the scarlett but any audio come in or out. Its really depressing cause i dont know what else to do
Old 29th April 2014
Uninstall and re-install the sound card's drivers. Then make sure the signal chain and gain stages for it are correct. Check it 3 to 4 times as its usually a signal chain or gain stage error.

CJ
Old 2nd May 2014
Here for the gear

I'm in a very similar situation as OP.
I'm only using the interface as a soundcard for monitors, windows volume mixer shows audio being played through the interface yet no sound. I've tried reinstalling drivers and using different computers with no luck.

Also to inspire a little rage, here's a direct quote from the focusrite site:

"Very many of the products returned under warranty are found not to exhibit any fault at all. To avoid unnecessary inconvenience to you in terms of retuning the product please contact Focusrite support."

yet they only offer an International helpline as 'customer support'. It's cheaper just to send it back to them
Old 30th May 2014
Here for the gear

Same

I am also in a very similar situation:
(Windows 7)

My Scarlett 2i2 worked perfectly for many months.
I was away from home for 2 days, during which my brother and his friend wanted to record on my PC (they had no experience and I had no idea that they were poking around with my equipment) but when I came back to use my computer, the audio would not play.

The sound according to windows IS being sent to my "line in" device (AKA scarlett 2i2, same as it always has been).

If I play audio, windows shows that it IS sending signal (the green bar). But no audio plays back via the line out ports in the back OR the headphone port in the front

I've tried many restarts, uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers, drivers ARE up to date, but to no avail. I have used the 2i2 for months, so I know how to set it up. All levels and connections are setup properly.

The only thing that seems out of place is I have no amber rings around the gain knobs (I seem to recall they would show up constantly before) or any color rings for that matter, if I attempt to use my mic lines as I always have. Except I get a brief flicker from the amber rings if I unplug/replug the 2i2's USB

After all that I've tried I fear the 2i2 itself is defective, but I just can't imagine how my little bro could have done anything to fry it. He says he didn't even touch the 2i2. Could it just be coincidence that my box went bad at this time?

If you have any ideas that I haven't already tried PLEEEEEEEEEASE HELP!!!!! thank you
Old 30th May 2014
Gear Addict

Try a new USB slot before going through the trouble of sending it back/contacting tech support.
Old 30th May 2014
Here for the gear

Oh whoops I forgot to include that in my list of things I've tried!

I've read that has worked for some people. For me, no luck in any USB port :(
Old 1st July 2014
Here for the gear

I now have the same problem with my Scarlett 2i2. I believe it was a result of plugging the output of the interface into a mixing desk (for live use) and after this there is no signal from any input/output.

The interface is still recognized in windows and reaper, and will even 'play' audio as displayed by the audo levels in reaper's mixer / pc sound... but there is no signal whatsoever coming from the interface. Upon plugging in a microphone / guitar into either input, there are no halo light gain indicators and no input level whatsoever also.

I posted on other forums and most people replied saying that I burnt out the capacitors inside in Scarlett, due to phantom power perhaps being left turned on on the mixing desk.

I have tried 3 different USB ports (both USB 2.0 and 3.0) and I have even tried installing the interface on another machine, but all to no avail. I'm guessing the interface is fried and it's time to buy a new one.

I'm not really keen to replace the 2i2 - instead I'm thinking Roland Quad-Capture / Komplete Audio 6 etc... something along those lines if anyone can offer suggestions? I really would like to get the RME babyface but is the price really justified?
Old 1st July 2014
Lives for gear

check and make sure that the device is enabled in the preferences.
Old 7th January 2015
Here for the gear

Hello, did you find a way to fix your problem. I have the same !!! It's awful, I don't no what to do !

Thanks !
Old 9th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Hello all,

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your Scarlett 2i2. If you have not already, please reach out to us so that we are able to assist you with your issue. You can reach us here: Contact | Focusrite

All the best.
Old 6th May 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Scarlett focusrite 2i2

I just bought a new lap top and for some reason when I plugged the USB to the lap top, it keeps flashing yellow or orange. Keep in my mind, I didn't have this problem with my old lap top. I try to installed it, and upgrade the hard drive, and even restart my whole computer and have no luck so whatever. Both of my lap top are PC. I have a Scarlett Focusrite 2i2. What do you think is the problem?
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Hi Onesoul,

Does this current laptop have the latest driver installed? If not you can find it here: Downloads | Focusrite

If this does not help with the issue then I would recommend reaching out to us so that we can assist you further in the matter: Contact | Focusrite

All the best.
Old 7th May 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

To Louie Focusrite,

I have already try to install the latest hard drive like 4 or 5 times with no luck so whatever. I've reached out to you guys before and you guys told me to buy a new USB core, but I'm not going to do that cause there are people who has already done that and it didn't work for them. The good thing is that I still have my old lap top with all my files in it, but if I do decide to buy a new interface, it won't be another Focusrite.
Old 6th August 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear
www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wrzmCeJbs I made a video of myself firing this stuff up because of the issue, I've lost hard valued cash on it.
Old 7th August 2015
Here for the gear
I've had the exact same problem but because I bought it second hand a while back, the warranty has expired and a chargeable repair will cost me about £70/$100 which is not worth it at all considering how much a new one costs and the fact that it will probably just break again! Quite annoyed to be honest because now I have to fork out for a new interface but I suppose you live and you learn, I won't be buying any focusrite products anytime soon!
Old 19th December 2015
Here for the gear

Just checking to see if OP or anyone else has found a fix for this problem, as I am experiencing the same issue.

Thanks!
Old 3rd March 2016
Gear Nut

My 2i2 died three days ago after working for two years like a charm. I did nothing unusual, same routine as every day. It fires up, Mac recognises it, USB-light indicates stable connection, Digital Performer shows correct levels and sends them to the 2i2. But the box remains silent in both ways. No input no output. The thing is dead and repair would cost me more than a decent 2-channel box secondhand. I did like the 2i2, but I won't get another one.
Old 21st April 2016
Gear Head
Same issue

I plugged my 2i2 into my mixer to send some tracks I recorded to 1/4" tape and it just died as soon as I did that. Receives signal from the inputs, but nothing coming out.

This is BS! I've done this process 50 times and Ive never had a problem. I made sure that there was no phantom power so I haven't a clue as to how this happened. All I know now is that I don't have a working interface and I'm going to have to shell out more money to buy a new one.

I wrote to the company. Let's see what they say. I bought this thing brand new about 8 months ago and there's no way it should be this fragile. If I don't get any help I'm never buying another piece of gear from them.
Old 14th September 2016
Here for the gear

Hey there! I'm running into the same problem on a two year old interface. I have no audio from the front headphone jack. Yes, it's turned up. I also have no audio from the rear output jacks. Yes, direct monitor is turned completely to playback. I'm using the Scarlett 2i4 with Pro Tools 12.5.2 on a MacBook Pro 2.9 Ghz Intel Core i5. I’m using the default I/O for the 2i4. I’ve switched between Headphone Source 1-2 and 3-4.

With the unit plugged in and no software running, I can hear some very low level white noise from both headphone outputs (1-2 and 3-4). The headphone level pot doesn’t increase or decrease the white noise level.

I tried running a 1K tone through the outputs. When Pro Tools is outputting 1-2, it’s the same low level as above. When Pro Tools is outputting 3-4, I can hear the tone at a very low level on both Scarlett 1-2 and 3-4 headphone output. The headphone level pot doesn’t increase or decrease the 1K level.

I’ve replaced it with a 2i2 and everything works.

I did install the Class Compliant mode that Focusrite suggests for Mavericks.

Has anyone run into this?
Old 17th October 2016
Here for the gear

Check the Power cable, sometimes it's not powerful enough and may need to be switched out. Somehow mine got switched with another, it stopped working, then I switched it to another adaptor and the audio is coming in and out again. Hope that helps!
Old 8th January 2017
Here for the gear

I had a similar problem with my Focusrite and here's how i solved the problem --> https://youtu.be/fRudBYR_H84
Old 12th January 2017
Here for the gear

So is the conclusion of this thread that if there are no lights flashing when you plug in your microphone or guitar then the interface is faulty? I have a Scarlett 2i4 and I am having the exact same problem! My computer recognizes the device, the software is up to date and the USB ports are functional. The interface is even receiving signal just no flashing lights when I plug in my guitar or sound at all. I've read through all the threads and followed every detail of the videos so everything is set up correctly.
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Hi hanslander,

Sorry to hear that you're having some problems. If you could contact us directly we will be able to advise you on the best steps to troubleshoot this further: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Best,
Jack // Focusrite Technical Support
Old 17th April 2017
Here for the gear

go to advanced sound settings on the control panel and toggle the playback quality, take out usb then put back in, should work
Old 11th July 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by briwar454 View Post
Hey there! I'm running into the same problem on a two year old interface. I have no audio from the front headphone jack. Yes, it's turned up. I also have no audio from the rear output jacks. Yes, direct monitor is turned completely to playback. I'm using the Scarlett 2i4 with Pro Tools 12.5.2 on a MacBook Pro 2.9 Ghz Intel Core i5. I’m using the default I/O for the 2i4. I’ve switched between Headphone Source 1-2 and 3-4.

With the unit plugged in and no software running, I can hear some very low level white noise from both headphone outputs (1-2 and 3-4). The headphone level pot doesn’t increase or decrease the white noise level.

I’ve replaced it with a 2i2 and everything works.
Here I am having similar problem with my 2i4 on macOS Sierra 10.12.5. Just submitted the issue to Focusrite. Hope there will be definite solution to this :-)
Old 28th July 2017
Here for the gear

Search & Download "Scarlett Plugin Suite"

Fixed my problem in the I/O setup on my mac computer Thank God
Old 4th August 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidstar View Post
Fixed my problem in the I/O setup on my mac computer Thank God
How did you fix it?
📝 Reply