The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Edirol FA-101 and Windows 8.1 compatability Audio Interfaces
Old 19th March 2014
Here for the gear

Edirol FA-101 and Windows 8.1 compatability

Hi,

Is anyone using an Edirol FA-101 with Windows 8.1? Do they work OK together?

I need to update my operating system (and computer) from XP. I want to go straight to Windows 8.1 but am not 100% sure my Edirol FA-101 will work OK with the new OS.

I have emailed Roland and they don't seem to be able to clarify this.

There is a driver here (which is good):

FA-101 :: Downloads :: Support :: Roland

But on another page it says 'Limited compatibility - Compatible with Windows(R) 8.1 64-bit Edition with limited operation'

Compatibility with Windows

I just wonder what 'Limited compatability' actually means.

so if anyone is using an FA-101 with Winodws 8.1 I would really like to hear about it.

Cheers.

Old 28th March 2014
Here for the gear

anyone?
Old 28th March 2014
The issu is stated right below the driver information:
CAUTION
If the sample rate of FA-66 is changed in Windows 8.1, playing and recording sounds with media player or system sounds via WASAPI, MME, or DirectSound cannot be executed.
In such a case, configure the settings as follows. (Playing and recording sounds via ASIO can be executed.)

Open [Control Panel]. Click [Hardware and Sound] and [Sound].
* When the control panel is displayed with icon view, click [Sound].
Select [FA-66 OUT 1] in [Playback] and click the [Properties] button.
Open the [Advanced] tab.
Select a bit rate which is not currently selected in [Default Format] and click the [OK] button.
Repeat Procedure 2 to 4 for [FA-66 OUT 2] and [FA-66 OUT 3] in [Playback] as well.
Select [FA-66 IN 1] in [Recording] and click the [Properties] button.
Open the [Advanced] tab.
Select a bit rate which is not currently selected in [Default Format] and click the [OK] button.
Repeat Procedure 6 to 8 for [FA-66 OUT 2] and [FA-66 OUT 3] in [Recording] as well.
Old 28th March 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks DAW PLUS,

but the issue you have highlighted is something that is also relevant for the Winodws 8 compatibility, however Roland does not says Windows 8 is fully compatible and windows 8.1 has'limited' compatability.

If the only issue is the you highlighted then I should be fine as I am using ASIO.

Thanks,
Old 28th March 2014
Lives for gear

I can only say that I have an old FA-101 standing below my RME UCX. I used the Edirol with Windows 7 for a year or two w/o any issues. Would assume that Windows 8 also should work fine.
Old 28th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bins View Post
Hi,

Is anyone using an Edirol FA-101 with Windows 8.1? Do they work OK together?

I need to update my operating system (and computer) from XP. I want to go straight to Windows 8.1 but am not 100% sure my Edirol FA-101 will work OK with the new OS.

I have emailed Roland and they don't seem to be able to clarify this.

There is a driver here (which is good):

FA-101 :: Downloads :: Support :: Roland

But on another page it says 'Limited compatibility - Compatible with Windows(R) 8.1 64-bit Edition with limited operation'

Compatibility with Windows

I just wonder what 'Limited compatability' actually means.

so if anyone is using an FA-101 with Winodws 8.1 I would really like to hear about it.

Cheers.

I'm still using my FA-66 and saw the same things you did at the Roland site, and I have had no issues.
Old 29th March 2014
Here for the gear

Cheers for the reply Declan.

If your FA-66 works then I am now pretty certain that my FA-101 will too.

Old 3rd August 2014
Here for the gear

Only one sample rate

I have followed the Roland instructions for win 8.1 and my FA66, but only one sample rate (48000) is available in the dropdown were you select the sample rate.

So, still no 44000 and that is what I had under Vista and want with win 8.1

Any thougths?
Old 3rd August 2014
Here for the gear

Sample rate FA-66

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Just to confirm The FA-101 does work with Win 8.1<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi horssenp,

I am pretty sure it is possible to get the correct sample rate in Win 8.1. My FA-101 is working perfect in Win 8.1 and Ableton.

Not sure I will be able to help but:

What music production software are you using?
Are you using the ASIO or WDM?
What have you set the sample rate to on the FA-66 actual unit?

'only one sample rate (48000) is available in the dropdown were you select the sample rate' - is that withinn Windows audio Settings or your Mucis production Software?

(always make sure you power off/on the FA-66 when you change the sample settings on the rear of the unit to fully implement the new setting)

Last edited by bins; 3rd August 2014 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: extra info added :)
Old 3rd September 2015
Here for the gear

Fa-101

Just thought I would update this post. In the end the FA-101 didn't work with my computer running Win 8.1. The system kept freezing and I had to reboot. I updated Windows and drivers for the video card etc but I still got the same problem

i am now using a focusrite 2i4 and that is OK...although I did have a few problems with that too...it took a few tweeks to get theat workng smooth..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search