The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best amp simulation software? Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 15th March 2014
Here for the gear

Best amp simulation software?

I've been using Guitar Rig for a while, but I'm curious to try another amp simulator. My only requirements are that it must be AAX and there must be a physical pedal board available to control the software. What are my choices and which ones do you recommend?
Old 15th March 2014
Dgr
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRUGiHOYi View Post
I've been using Guitar Rig for a while, but I'm curious to try another amp simulator. My only requirements are that it must be AAX and there must be a physical pedal board available to control the software. What are my choices and which ones do you recommend?
Kuassa, Scuffham, BX Rockrack and Amplitube
Old 15th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRUGiHOYi View Post
Unfortunately you just missed a great deal on Amplitube and its expansions.

Not sure there is a definitive best out there and it certainly depends on what type of tones you're after.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Amplitube is my fave at the moment.
Old 15th March 2014
GTR3 and Softubes amp rooms.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Guitar Rig.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

I've demoed all the amp sims and ended up with Scuffham.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

The reamp section (clean) on CLA Guitar (Waves) is pretty good sounding to me.
Old 15th March 2014
Keep in mind, distortion plugins sound very different at different sample rates.
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Addict

Kuassa
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Nut

TSE X50 v2.0

PlugSlut
Old 16th March 2014
WKG
Lives for gear
BX Rockrack and Scuffham.
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Addict

Scuffham sounds great.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Scuffham gets used here the most along with OwnHammer cabs.
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Guru

My favorite native sim would have to be Pod Farm overall. Scuffam is great in a more "boutique" way.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

In this order:

Scuffham S-Gear 2
Kuassa
TSE
Ignite Audio
Mercuriall
LePou

Anything else just doesn't compare.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Scuffham, TSE, Kuassa, Mercurial, LePou.

+1 to "Anything else just doesn't compare."
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Head

I've got most of them & would say Scuffham S-Gear, TSE X50 and Mercuriall.

The TSE one is blowing me away at the minute, so easy to use & can get a great sound very quickly without going through endless presets & options.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

The TH-2 Lynchbox is nice. AT Slash as well.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

I love Guitar Rig (which obviously you have), and Amplitube.
Old 17th March 2014
Here for the gear

I have GR5, TSE X50, Scuffham, BX_RockRack and some misc freebies. Currently I'm very happy with TSE & Scuffham and semi pleased with BX. GR5 sounds like...a sim. I have a Marshall TSL 100 with Peavey 5150 4x12 cab and have to say that the TSE is just as satisfying to play.

I have an HD500 that I use as a midi foot controller, and just FYI I've found that SPDIF works much better than XLR to my interface (Digi 002R). XLR has a small amount of noise that gets amplified by the amp sim (very annoying actually).
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Although I like every other UAD plugin I have, the SoftTube guitar sims is very weak to me and I am very disappointed in them. I also have Amplitube and consistently get very good results with it.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

I own BX Rockrack. interested how these compare to hardware units such as Axe FX.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
In this order:

Scuffham S-Gear 2
Kuassa
TSE
Ignite Audio
Mercuriall
LePou

Anything else just doesn't compare.
Listen to this man.
Old 27th May 2014
Lives for gear

I was going to create a new thread but bumped into this one.
What do you guys think of the Pod Farm 2? Is it a step up from Amplitube and Guitar Rig ?
Seems there is not a lot of info out there for this one.
Old 27th May 2014
Here for the gear

Research Project: Valve Amp Vs Fractal Audio-Axe-Fx Ultra

Hey guys, I am student at the Brighton Institute of Modern Music and I doing a research project on digital amp modelling vs Valve Amplifiers for my. This is a call to all guitarists to answer my quick questionnaire. I need all the help I can get!!
Follow the two links for the survey and the soundcloud audio clips.
I would advise to listen to the samples simultaneously to answering the questions, so the samples are fresh in you mind.
Also listen through a good set of speakers or headphones/earphones. No laptop speakers please.
Warning: Samples are at a standard volume, operating at -0.1db. Do not listen on really high volumes, do not want to you to destroy your ears.

Thank you!!

https://soundcloud.com/calum_munro/s...t-valve-amp-vs

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/L5KF6QN

Research Project: Valve Amp Vs Fractal Audio-Axe-Fx Ultra
All samples were recorded using the same DI signal (same performance). The DI signal was sent via a Re-amp box into each amplifier, ensuring that both the digital modeler and valve amplifiers received
SOUNDCLOUD
Old 27th May 2014
Gear Addict

Duplicate

Last edited by PFRfan; 27th May 2014 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: Duplicate
Old 27th May 2014
Gear Addict

Duplicate

Last edited by PFRfan; 27th May 2014 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: Duplicate
Old 27th May 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorydom View Post
I was going to create a new thread but bumped into this one.
What do you guys think of the Pod Farm 2? Is it a step up from Amplitube and Guitar Rig ?
Seems there is not a lot of info out there for this one.
If I remember correctly, POD Farm 2 doesn't really change any of the of POD modeling. It just adds a much more flexible interface along with dual amping capability. Personally, I slightly prefer Amplitube over the other two, but I'm really only interested in maybe 3 or 4 amps total. POD Farm is all about giving you a TON of amps & effects (I personally like the preamp/EQ models - the Neve is actually pretty good).

At the moment, though, I just use my Yamaha THR10. I can record directly via USB, or just throw a mic in front of it. It gives me my favorite sounds. I have a terrible time in any amp sim (including Kuassa) trying to dial in the right level of clean/breakup and a smooth even tone. On the Yamaha it takes like 2 seconds. I used to have a Line 6 Variax and an X3 Live board which gave me a bazillion tonal options. But I usually left it on the Strat setting going through a Deluxe Reverb model. So I sold it all and got a Classic Vibe Strat and ended up with the THR10 - I have 1000 times more fun playing and I get better tone. Great thing about the amp is that you don't need it to be loud at all in order to record great tone with a mic. The last song I did had a CAD M179 in front of the THR recording at low background music level and it sounds great - other than some bleed from Jeopardy playing on the TV upstairs!
Old 27th May 2014
Lives for gear

BIAS Amp from Positive Grid.
IOs only.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search