The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best amp simulation software? Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 24th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexe View Post
so how are we going to find about this whenever it's going to be released?
I'm sure you will hear, the amp sim is already out, its an add on to it. I'll post here if you like, i think it wont be long, few weeks, months at the most
Old 24th April 2016
Lives for gear

I sold my fractal stuff for the Kemper and recently sold my Kemper for the Yamaha THR100HD

I like this hybrid approach the best and the sounds are amazing

i love having the dual channel head unit i can combine
i love a PERFECTLY working software GUI (downfall of kemper for me)
i love that my pedals work great in front of it
i love the designed it for direct recording and a specifically tuned speaker cab
i love the yamaha build quality

i have TH3, amplitube, scuffham etc. so if your talking about just SOFTWARE those are all good. but this yamah for me is truly the end of the search because it combines all the parts of each world i love, Software, direct OR speaker cab, real knobs, great emulations, verbs, gates, OD, Pre amps, the ability to combine 2 unique channels into one getting some of the best slight break up chmiey sounds i ever had even with an amp. it takes every part of this quest we are on and combines them all

i can go direct and quiet at night, i can play live, i can store and work on the software, i can turn real knobs, i can use my pedals that i love and i can TWEAK and set up my own sounds from scratch.

for me, this is the best i have ever had for my situation

this may be the best overall presentation i have seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=nmKl0QqDU3o

Last edited by trock; 24th April 2016 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: Found the youtube i wanted
Old 24th April 2016
Lives for gear

I forgot to add, around the 5:50 mark he says Yamaha bought Line 6? is this true?
Old 24th April 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
I forgot to add, around the 5:50 mark he says Yamaha bought Line 6? is this true?
Yes a while ago.
Old 24th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsmith View Post
I'm sure you will hear, the amp sim is already out, its an add on to it. I'll post here if you like, i think it wont be long, few weeks, months at the most
This sounds awesome. Definitely looking forward to hearing more about this!!
Old 25th April 2016
Have yet to try the Yamaha, but for my money, the Scuffham sounds the best if you're going for accuracy and response. And I like the way it allows you to load impulses. Guitar Rig to me doesn't have that "air hitting a mic diaphragm" punch I want, but other than that they all have their strong points. Amplitube 4 being 64-bit only ruins it for me because I have a lot of synths that are still 32-bit and I'd rather not be mucking about with j-bridge and the like. That was a puzzling decision since you really only have to set a target in your compiler to accommodate.
Old 25th April 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloid View Post
It's not just the power of the computer. You'd need an interface with rock solid drivers that will perform with buffers set below 10 ms. There are a number on the market, RME being one of them.
Yes indeed, soundcard latency is also a big factor. My question, ultimately, is can software plugins (assuming high end computer components are used) compete with the low latencies of outboard effects, such as Axe FX, , Helix, G-Force, etc?

Last edited by Sizzlewich; 25th April 2016 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: oops
Old 26th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzlewich View Post
Yes indeed, soundcard latency is also a big factor. My question, ultimately, is can software plugins (assuming high end computer components are used) compete with the low latencies of outboard effects, such as Axe FX, , Helix, G-Force, etc?
I'd say yes, absolutely. Latency is a real world thing because of the time it takes sound to travel. My understanding is playing guitar 5 feet away from your amp is giving you roughky 5ms of delay from the time you pick till your ears hear the amps sound. 1 foot per ms travel time. Plenty of interfaces can do 5ms, some slightly less. The problem is during a plugin heavy session, tracking with an amp sim can be a problem if you're forced to use a higher buffer setting. On my Clarett though, I can play without any noticeable latency up to a 256 buffer.
Old 27th April 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
I'd say yes, absolutely. Latency is a real world thing because of the time it takes sound to travel. My understanding is playing guitar 5 feet away from your amp is giving you roughky 5ms of delay from the time you pick till your ears hear the amps sound. 1 foot per ms travel time. Plenty of interfaces can do 5ms, some slightly less. The problem is during a plugin heavy session, tracking with an amp sim can be a problem if you're forced to use a higher buffer setting. On my Clarett though, I can play without any noticeable latency up to a 256 buffer.
Hey, that's good to know. The concern of amp sims won't be an issue for me, as I plan on only running through a tube amp.

I'm working on building a computer to use Ableton Live on. It will be well-built (RME interface, i7 processor, 16Gb RAM, SSD), and I would like to also work with the vast amount of effects plugins available, such as Waves, Guitar Rig, UA, etc. But as there will be live sound recreation, latency and reliability are a concern.

If the quality, reliability and playability are on par with, say, the Axe FX or Eventide, plugins would be the ticket for this application.

How's the Clarett working out for you? Seems like a quality rig
Old 27th April 2016
Lives for gear

I play live with another guitarist. My sounds are coming out of Mainstage, mostly using Scufffham. His are coming out of an Axe FX.
We have one output without cab emulation going into a power amp + cab for stage sound, and an emulated output for the FOH engineer.
I prefer the tone of Scuffham to the Axe FX, which still has a slight hint of fizz at the top (particularly noticeable when listening to the sound without a cab emulation, not that you'd want to do that for very long!) and the setup is really the best of both worlds.
As long as the Mac doesn't crash, I'm very happy :D
Old 28th April 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack View Post
I play live with another guitarist. My sounds are coming out of Mainstage, mostly using Scufffham. His are coming out of an Axe FX.
We have one output without cab emulation going into a power amp + cab for stage sound, and an emulated output for the FOH engineer.
I prefer the tone of Scuffham to the Axe FX, which still has a slight hint of fizz at the top (particularly noticeable when listening to the sound without a cab emulation, not that you'd want to do that for very long!) and the setup is really the best of both worlds.
As long as the Mac doesn't crash, I'm very happy :D
I like the idea of emulated out to the sound man. It makes his life easier, which makes you sound better.
Old 28th April 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'd say yes, absolutely. Latency is a real world thing because of the time it takes sound to travel. My understanding is playing guitar 5 feet away from your amp is giving you roughky 5ms of delay from the time you pick till your ears hear the amps sound.
It takes about 1 foot per millisecond from the time the sound leaves the speaker,not from the time the pick hits the string.Anything in the chain before that point can also cause latency.Most digital effects will add a little latency from the analog to digital conversion and conversion back to analog.If you have a chain of digital effects it can add up.
Old 28th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicklickz View Post
It takes about 1 foot per millisecond from the time the sound leaves the speaker,not from the time the pick hits the string.Anything in the chain before that point can also cause latency.Most digital effects will add a little latency from the analog to digital conversion and conversion back to analog.If you have a chain of digital effects it can add up.
I was referring to playing through a real amp to compare it to the digital realm.
Old 28th April 2016
I use it mostly on Bass, Amplitube 3/4 and Guitar Rig, but mostly Amplitube because of the AMpeg, fender bassman and Orange sims. + CAB simulator!!!
Old 28th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which amp sim?
Old 29th April 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
I was referring to playing through a real amp to compare it to the digital realm.
Exactly. In other words, there is an unavoidable 'analog' latency due to the proximity of where you stand from the sound source. This, further compounded by digital latency has a tendency to pull the interaction of the instrument and music away. I think it's amazing, however, how well one adjusts to these latencies and plays 'ahead' to compensate for this. The issue I have is when I switch from a heavy effects laden signal to say, a dry one. Once the digital latency disappears, I have to quickly readjust and play without the prior latency compensation. It's possible, but just takes the focus away from enjoying the performance.
Old 29th April 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaws View Post
Which amp sim?
I must second this request. I'd love to hear what that software could do with these tube Amps!
Old 29th April 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Exactly. In other words, there is an unavoidable 'analog' latency due to the proximity of where you stand from the sound source. This, further compounded by digital latency has a tendency to pull the interaction of the instrument and music away. I think it's amazing, however, how well one adjusts to these latencies and plays 'ahead' to compensate for this. The issue I have is when I switch from a heavy effects laden signal to say, a dry one. Once the digital latency disappears, I have to quickly readjust and play without the prior latency compensation. It's possible, but just takes the focus away from enjoying the performance.
That's what I was trying to say in post number 192 .
Old 3rd May 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Which amp sim should we be looking for that would have this quite anticipated feature?
Old 3rd May 2016
Gear Addict

My personal favorite is bias fx, but unfortunately their pricing structure is whacked out. To me, it sounds a lot better than Guitar Right or Amplitube, especially heavier tones. I have not tried the Scuffham stuff though.
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
I sold my fractal stuff for the Kemper and recently sold my Kemper for the Yamaha THR100HD

I like this hybrid approach the best and the sounds are amazing

i love having the dual channel head unit i can combine
i love a PERFECTLY working software GUI (downfall of kemper for me)
i love that my pedals work great in front of it
i love the designed it for direct recording and a specifically tuned speaker cab
i love the yamaha build quality

i have TH3, amplitube, scuffham etc. so if your talking about just SOFTWARE those are all good. but this yamah for me is truly the end of the search because it combines all the parts of each world i love, Software, direct OR speaker cab, real knobs, great emulations, verbs, gates, OD, Pre amps, the ability to combine 2 unique channels into one getting some of the best slight break up chmiey sounds i ever had even with an amp. it takes every part of this quest we are on and combines them all

i can go direct and quiet at night, i can play live, i can store and work on the software, i can turn real knobs, i can use my pedals that i love and i can TWEAK and set up my own sounds from scratch.

for me, this is the best i have ever had for my situation

this may be the best overall presentation i have seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=nmKl0QqDU3o
Hmmmmmm. With a cab, the demos sound great. With the sim "cabs" it sounds really good. But need to hear more about software/hardware integration.

Is it like line 6/etc where you can have the screen open for tweaking about still have it running through a soundcard for your daw?
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear

You can have the GUI open the whole time but no its not like a line 6 in that this does not come loaded with effects, it come with a reverb and a gate and an overdrive sections where you can choose different types of those , then a whole section of what looks like hundreds of different cab sounds that are great that you can load into the head unit. i run pedals in front of it like a strymon delay, and strymon tremolo and i have never had a better sound.
Old 3rd May 2016
Quote:
Which amp sim should we be looking for that would have this quite anticipated feature?

I'm sorry i just cant speak about it anymore then i already have. :(
Old 4th May 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
I'm sorry i just cant speak about it anymore then i already have. :(
Understood - and which naturally makes this covert op even more interesting! I'll stay tuned...
Old 4th May 2016
Gear Addict

I'll have to stay tuned as well. A potentially viable Kemper alternative in a software plugin is surely of interest. If anything, I'm almost surprised it's taken this long for something like that to surface.
Old 5th May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaws View Post
Which amp sim?
Quote:
I must second this request. I'd love to hear what that software could do with these tube Amps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorman View Post
I'll have to stay tuned as well. A potentially viable Kemper alternative in a software plugin is surely of interest. If anything, I'm almost surprised it's taken this long for something like that to surface.
OK, so i Just sampled a famous recording, I'm using a Telecaster which isn't what Ray used in his recording from 1964 but its pretty close emulation,

I (try) play two famous riffs at the start so you know what i sampled then change some settings, I also turn of the sim at one point so you can hear my direct guitar signal, then finish up using the same famous guitar sound to play a bit of Desire, I always find that a good one to test the tone of an amp.
Please bare in mind Im not a great guitarist. But this will give you something to think about until its public.
Attached Files

Mr Davies.mp3 (982.2 KB, 3756 views)

Last edited by aaronsmith; 5th May 2016 at 05:41 PM..
Old 5th May 2016
Lives for gear

Sounds pretty nice I have to say. Keen to learn more about this mystery ampsim!
Old 8th May 2016
Lives for gear

Sounds great. I'd have no problem sitting that in a mix.
Old 8th May 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
OK, so i Just sampled a famous recording, I'm using a Telecaster which isn't what Ray used in his recording from 1964 but its pretty close emulation,

I (try) play two famous riffs at the start so you know what i sampled then change some settings, I also turn of the sim at one point so you can hear my direct guitar signal, then finish up using the same famous guitar sound to play a bit of Desire, I always find that a good one to test the tone of an amp.
Please bare in mind Im not a great guitarist. But this will give you something to think about until its public.
'You really got me' on that tone - if it can also capture the feel and response of an amp, you've got a winner here. I recognized what you were playing by the second chord, and I think that's a fairly complex tone to emulate.
Old 8th May 2016
Quote:
'You really got me' on that tone - if it can also capture the feel and response of an amp, you've got a winner here. I recognized what you were playing by the second chord, and I think that's a fairly complex tone to emulate.
Yes its a very famous and complex sound, i was using a different guitar and I use odd tuning too, the first part was "You really got me" but the sampled sound was from "all day and all of the night", which i played on the 2nd part and it was bang on to my ears. To me this is some kind of magic, i cant understand how it can snatch a sound like that.
In practical use i can see this being very handy when going back to a recording and not knowing what settings or amp or even guitar was used, and getting in that ball park, well, its closer then that, in the room i say.
Plus, the way the software works, you can add or take away the gain once its sampled, so its like taking tweeking the original amp, very cleaver.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search