The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best amp simulation software? Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 7th April 2015
Also look for some good impulse responses. Redwirez, Ownhammer, Kalthallen among others are doing some very good stuff.
Old 7th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsmith View Post
...snip video...
I know we both have to represent the products we're somehow associated with but perhaps a comparison to the actual Orange amp would be a better comparison. I'd assume the official version would shine there, which is why Cliff Cooper chose IK to represent his amps best digitally:
Quote:
“We work closely with the IK engineers and programmers to ensure the quality and accuracy of the sound,” says Orange founder and CEO Cliff Cooper. “There is a lot of software out there that claim to give the Orange sound, but they don’t even come close. With IK we can sit down together and nail the Orange sound.”
From IK Multimedia | AmpliTube Orange for Mac/PC Now Available
Old 7th April 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarisation View Post
Nola111, do try Kuassa Creme, its price has come down since my post #51

If you look at the top left of the amp (the "overdrive" section) it's like 3 different distortion pedals you can add to the input

Almost 3 years on my top 2 sims are still S-Gear + Kuassa Creme!
Thanks for the info, Guitarisation!
Old 7th April 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Also look for some good impulse responses. Redwirez, Ownhammer, Kalthallen among others are doing some very good stuff.
I have some of the Redwirez impulses and they are really great. I look forward to trying them with the Lepou amps.
Old 7th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola111 View Post
I have some of the Redwirez impulses and they are really great. I look forward to trying them with the Lepou amps.
Get this Kalthallen freebie too, it's very well done!
Old 7th April 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Get this Kalthallen freebie too, it's very well done!
Will do, thanks!
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
I know we both have to represent the products we're somehow associated with but perhaps a comparison to the actual Orange amp would be a better comparison. I'd assume the official version would shine there, which is why Cliff Cooper chose IK to represent his amps best digitally:

Yeah, that's a pretty good testimonial. Orange by Amplitube 3 happens to have my favorite orange model.
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear

I demoe'd BIAS recently and I found it extremely good.
The only problem is that if you want a simple delay or reverb (let alone chorus, phasers etc) you have to turn to other plugins which makes the whole process a bit convoluted and less fun.
But sound wise it's great.
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear
we are all blessed to exist post kemper/andy44 creation, Amen.

edit: i never use any kemper fx or put pedals in the line, just straight up profile with some eq and some cabinet tweak.
Old 8th April 2015
Gear Maniac

Really digging Magix vandall lately.
for dist and OD it's pretty good.
For me,better than GR and waves stuff.
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear

I've gone back to using my amps. I still use the sims for some things but I decided to put a cabinet in a closet and leave it mic'd up so I can record with it as fast as I can with sims. I think that made a world of difference for me.
One of the main things I've noticed is that I spend a lot less time tweaking and searching for a sound when using a real amp.
I know what my pedalboard sounds like and I know what the range of tones from each amp sounds like. Tube screamer into a super reverb or a Tube Driver into a Marshall, I know what that sounds like. I have a more limited choice but I'm liking those options better. I'm not trying to throw fuel on the real vs sims fire, I'm just saying that a hybrid rig where you use both or use the sims just for effects on a recorded live amp is working well for me.
Old 8th April 2015
Quote:

Yes indeed, that would be better, however, i was really showing just how close these software actually sound once the HP was added, No one has done more for the progress of amp software then IK and AT3 really is very good and sounds a lot like the amps in question. I do feel that suddenly though there is a new wave of softwares that has the edge in valve responsiveness, AT3 does has the signature voice as does the POD or amp farm, but lacks the dynamic response and interactivity that a guitarist feels when he plays. Sometimes its less about emulation and more about authenticity.
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear

AmpliTube is quite authentic too, even though I respect your biased opinion. We will have to agree to disagree based on biased opinions. That is why I pointed out comparing to the real amps, not just sound but realistic Orange tones and playability with realism in all aspects.

I thank you for the compliments and AmpliTube 4 is on the way so we will continue to do more for amp sims and raise the bar once again. There are also some new models on the horizon that are sought after and also bar-raising in their quality - and authenticity

Last edited by Peter - IK; 8th April 2015 at 02:48 PM..
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
AmpliTube 4 is on the way so we will continue to do more for amp sims and raise the bar once again.
good news!
Old 8th April 2015
Quote:
AmpliTube is quite authentic too, even though I respect your biased opinion. We will have to agree to disagree based on biased opinions. That is why I pointed out comparing to the real amps, not just sound but realistic Orange tones and playability with realism in all aspects.

I thank you for the compliments and AmpliTube 4 is on the way so we will continue to do more for amp sims and raise the bar once again. There are also some new models on the horizon that are sought after and also bar-raising in their quality - and authenticity
This excites me, great news, you guys alwasy raised the bar
can i add that in this day an age, 2x 4x 8x OverSampling is a must,
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks, I look forward to it too (including the new models that will precede AT4 which are fantastic). We do oversampling now (also in T-RackS) and allow you to set to a more resource-economical mode for times where you may not have the horsepower. I will relay your thoughts about that, too, though.
Old 22nd April 2015
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRECS View Post
Messing with S-Gear, and off the bat it sounds really good....however not as good as the Axe-Fx. I am open to experimenting, so if anyone has any suggestions for setting it up, I'd be open. The Axe-Fx gave me the feeling that it could go beyond analog, without losing anything I loved about analog...the S-Gear sounds cool and would definitely be useful to demo with, but overall I can't get it to sound nearly as full as the Axe. Any suggestions?
I just ordered an Axe FX II, and I tried the demo of Scuffham, which I will probably buy. I am not sure it is entirely fair to compare the two products just on price.
Old 22nd April 2015
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaburque View Post
I have one but it's mostly retired and I'll get around to selling it.

Eleven Rack is very good but not on the same tier as Axe Fx or Kemper and I would rate it slightly below S-Gear. The amp sims and the effects are good to very good but it's weak link is the speaker sim which is old fashioned filters. The IR implementation in S-Gear and Axe Fx are on another level of quality and the Kemper kind of is one big IR player with incredible realism.

That does not mean you should not buy an 11R because it's still a very capable box and they go cheap used. The market does not realize the value of these things as they go used on eBay for less than $350. The box is very well constructed with quality convertors and op amps and has a guitar jack with the correct impedance for an electric guitar so it doesn't suck tone like a lot of interfaces do. You also get a mic jack, balanced XLR outs, spidf and more. The expansion pack is highly recommended.
I don't know about yours, but I find the mic pre almost worthless.
Old 10th March 2016
pjk
Gear Addict
Some of the commercial sims are finally starting to get better but after a very long time testing options The best amp sims in terms of quality of tone, realism and most analogue easy style set up ( no need to endlessly tweak ) are amazingly and annoyingly ( after having bought amp sims ) still .......the free ones - LE POU and IGNITE AMPS. They have the most natural amp like frequency response, hard to believe but true to me and I've been playing, recording and mixing valve amps for decades.

Easy way to test this is to send them out through a neutral solid state power amp and into guitar cabs via a low latency system, and no you don't need super duper conversion. That way you can compare to real valve amps. I have very nice valve amps and the free sims compare well with them. Whilst the valve amps have a slight edge at low gain settings I actually prefer some of the heavier tones on the sims. They do sound different but often not worse.

People often assume, as I did, that commercial will be better, thinking more time and effort will be spent and whilst that may well be the case, the results speak for themselves to me. I simply can't argue with it. The talent is just there.

Let's just hope they continue to support these wonderful free amps. I donated to help as if you don't they might end up not updating and supporting them for new systems.

I am dreading updating my current system this year...lets hope no heart break is in store !

Last edited by pjk; 10th March 2016 at 01:53 PM..
Old 10th March 2016
Gear Nut

BIAS.
Old 10th March 2016
Lives for gear

Scuffham S-Gear is miles beyond anything I've tried. I've been trying and using amp sims since Amp Farm back in the early 2000's.

Kuassa also makes great stuff.

For bass, Studio Devil VBA and VBA Pro are top notch.

Those are my picks. For electric guitar, I am never able to top S-Gear, and believe me, my endless curiosity keeps me trying.
Old 10th March 2016
Gear Maniac
Having tried a lot of these (Amplitube, Guitar Rig, Reviver) I recently started using my Line 6 HD500X. It had been sitting in a box because I was too lazy to learn how to use it. I've only played with the Blackface, JTM and Vox emulations, but I think these are my favourite simulated sounds so far ...and I bought it primarily for its time-based effects.
Old 10th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
Scuffham S-Gear is miles beyond anything I've tried. I've been trying and using amp sims since Amp Farm back in the early 2000's.

Those are my picks. For electric guitar, I am never able to top S-Gear, and believe me, my endless curiosity keeps me trying.
S-Gear for me too if I'm in the box. I have a Kemper, but S gear once set up right with the correct impedance input to load your guitar pickups, and levels set correctly is first class.

Some of the 3rd party cab IR's are stunning too. Rewirez and Tonehammer are two I've used with great effect.

MC
Old 10th March 2016
Here for the gear

I'm a high gain junkie, so I get most fun out of
- Magix Vandal (post eq it with Burnley) , awesomeness
- TH2 has many flavors and very good fx pedals
- Grindmachine cool for playing but very noisy
- TSE50 nice sound but kinda one trick pony
- le pou Legion with some decent IR's can give suprisingly good results too.
Old 10th March 2016
Lives for gear

So where specifically do the amp sim makers place their attention six or seven years on? Other than porting to cellphones and iPads.

New versions come out that promote new modeling techniques, but anyone into coding that knows "what" those improved techniques are circa 2016?. Do all the amps get totally re-modelled with some higher algorithm program? I still read comments on properly loaded guitar inputs still coming off fizzy (etc) in sims. Do you agree? Or have sim makers taken care of that issue to where no one complains about it any more?

What has IK actually done .... or any sim maker....in version 20 (or whatever is current) that wasn't being done in version 1? Will version 1 become sought after "vintage-collectible" sim stuff someday?

And with the proportion of thumbs-ups on S-Gear (which lazy as I am, I haven't yet tried), what is so rocket-science in that one that ik/Bias etc haven't been able to say...ahh, that's what they're doing.... and then incorporate that.......whatever "that" is. I have a hard time believing that the actual coding/modeling process for amps is vastly different from company to company..... at least here in circa 2016.
Old 10th March 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post

Yup, I remember those days... still have my original Pod!

I'm currently rocking Kuassa, TSE-50x, and Recab 4.

But don't forget Recabinet 5 is around the corner... the new thermionik 5 is already out and it's definitely worth a spin. Wondering how the new clean / crunch will stack up with S-Gear.
Old 11th March 2016
Lives for gear

Overload TH3. I own Guitar Rig, Scuffman, Pod Farm, Revalver and Ampitube. TH3 is easily I my favorite.
Old 11th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
So where specifically do the amp sim makers place their attention six or seven years on? Other than porting to cellphones and iPads.

New versions come out that promote new modeling techniques, but anyone into coding that knows "what" those improved techniques are circa 2016?. Do all the amps get totally re-modelled with some higher algorithm program? I still read comments on properly loaded guitar inputs still coming off fizzy (etc) in sims. Do you agree? Or have sim makers taken care of that issue to where no one complains about it any more?

What has IK actually done .... or any sim maker....in version 20 (or whatever is current) that wasn't being done in version 1? Will version 1 become sought after "vintage-collectible" sim stuff someday?

And with the proportion of thumbs-ups on S-Gear (which lazy as I am, I haven't yet tried), what is so rocket-science in that one that ik/Bias etc haven't been able to say...ahh, that's what they're doing.... and then incorporate that.......whatever "that" is. I have a hard time believing that the actual coding/modeling process for amps is vastly different from company to company..... at least here in circa 2016.
Feel for one. Scuffham really nails fast enough processing to feel like you're playing through an amp. Outside of that, I feel that the tone is fatter and better defined than some of the other sims I've used, but I'm not a hi gain guy.
Old 11th March 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post

Great questions. Would LOVE if some commercial developers answered.

This is a quote from the LePou coder to give you a general idea:

"first thing is to develop a tube model that is fast enough for real time processing. I have base mine on Koren's tube model. Then I model the rest of the circuit at component level"
Old 11th March 2016
Im pretty sure Line6 does in fact redo their models from time to time.. I have a friend who works there and helped develop the Helix. I know he's working on the models a lot, and from the pictures Ive seen of their workspace, it doesn't seem like they really add new amps all the time, its the same ones that have always been there. They've gotta be doing something with em, otherwise they wouldn't have any need for that department anymore when they can just copy/paste the old models into a new package.

That said I own PODFarm 1 and 2 and it only gets used when I need to write some demo material quickly. Compared to my real 1982 JCM800 and every Vox Ive played, those models just don't cut it for me, but its not like I can fire up a half stack at 2am. There is just something missing in the sound when I put a PODFarm track up next to my mic'd Marshall that I would never use it in a song. A friend of mine owns Amplitude 3, and I gotta give it to those guys there.. That one almost nailed it, both the JCM800 and the AC30 models.. Plus they have just about every pedal in my rig available as well.. I almost cried when I went looking through the distortion pedals and lo and behold, there was the almighty Boss HM-2.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search