The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula: is it any good? Equalizer Plugins
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
What hardware does it capture?
From the website:

"With "THE Drum Compressor", you get:
True analog hardware
Real VCA's
Real Opto-Cell Tube Compression
Real Opto-Cell Tube Limiting
Real Tube Compressors in multiple modes and multiple sonic characteristics
Real FET Compression
The Sound of Op-Amps, Transformers, Tubes, VCA's, harmonic drive and spectral revoicing.
Hundreds of meticulously edited programs created for ideal settings for
Snare, Kick, Toms, Overheads, Cymbals, Rooms, and even the Drum Bus!
'New York Style' "PRL" Parallel compression
Various Mix/Blend dry/wet "PRL" settings
Side Chain filtering of high pass for different character, from big and responsive to loud and gripping.
All of the sounds you want from a drum compressor, from fast, punchy console bus compression and classic vca's, to colored warm circuits and fuzzy drive.
Drum programs that glue the bus together, 'smack', 'pump', 'breath', add 'punch', tighten and articulate, and bring focus to the drum bus.
Harmonic Distortion, and clean 'favorite' programs.
Wet/Dry "Mix" programs for incredible diversity and complex results.
Low EQ Side Chain Filtering to reduce pumping and breathing on specialized programs.
Program presets edited from the input, output, drive, threshold, ratio, release, attack, program rate response, look-ahead, and more!
Program parameters are adjustable for maximum flexibility, ease-of-use, and fine-tune control."

Link: CDSoundMaster Audio Software
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

have to say never bothered with the neb comps ,but hell fire "THE Drum Compressor" is stunning !
In all my days I have never heard anything so grabby/punchy ITB
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Question here:
I work at 88.2 Khz sampling rate.
If i use the 96 khz version will my DAW do the math automatically or would it be better to go 96khz for my DAW session?
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Question here:
If i use the 96 khz version will my DAW do the math automatically or would it be better to go 96khz for my DAW session?
Nebula up- or downsamples internally to whatever rate you use.
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 View Post
have to say never bothered with the neb comps ,but hell fire "THE Drum Compressor" is stunning !
yeah, an enthusiastic +1 here. I've had it since it was released and haven't mixed acoustic drums without it since. punchy yet open. that's not easy to find.

the hype with it seemed to die with 'well nebula isn't great at compression, it can't be that good'. but it is that good.

I just bought Michael's THE guitar FET comp and so far I just really like what it does to my guitar tracks.

best regards,
marco
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Man, I told you so!

That thing has some serious balls and saturation. 1176? Or maybe some rare, custom piece of gear? Apparently CDSM is really secretive about the original hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Question here:
Yeah, Nebula can downsample but not upsample. For real authenticity 'tho, i'ts recommended that you use the 96k in 96k, so that it doesn't have to be converted (but I honestly can't hear the difference).
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Well thats about as vague as it gets
No info whatsoever what is sampled
No sale
If it aint the original vintage unit
No sale
If its a reissue
No sale
If its a clone
No sale
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
Well thats about as vague as it gets
No info whatsoever what is sampled
No sale
If it aint the original vintage unit
No sale
If its a reissue
No sale
If its a clone
No sale
your loss not there's ,does it matter ? use your ears If sounds good then it sounds good
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear
There are quite a few very good Nebula compressors these days. Cupwise has an amazing Neve Buss comp and a coveted Fairchild. Tim Petherick has quite a few great compressors and limiters. heck, I love the Gemini Audio compressors, Alex B's got more than a few..... I don't understand the issues people have with Nebula compressors unless they are looking for extreme and obliterating squashing.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

I posted the same message on the Alexb MFC thread. I thought I could share it here too

OMG I just had an audio orgasm! I tried the MFC AirPunch mixbus with Timed (50ms) on my mixbus . my mix was already really sounding great and balanced. nothing on the master.no comp, no tape nor eq. WOW just that MFC instance made my mix sound Out of this ****ing box now im gonna put the Line In on every channel (or the Mic on tracks I need to dirty more), the group busses and the panner should all this should be sweet

I attached 44.1/24bit wav files of my mix dry and with 3 MFC Timed (modern, clean and airpunch). the cine doesnt really work well on my music. Modern is also a good. choice. i'm curious which one you guys like the most.

listen to the files here
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q7lx5wyx39zlv2q/FRpuuwtjd5

Mixing is fun
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick81 View Post
I posted the same message on the Alexb MFC thread. I thought I could share it here too

OMG I just had an audio orgasm! I tried the MFC AirPunch mixbus with Timed (50ms) on my mixbus . my mix was already really sounding great and balanced. nothing on the master.no comp, no tape nor eq. WOW just that MFC instance made my mix sound Out of this ****ing box now im gonna put the Line In on every channel (or the Mic on tracks I need to dirty more), the group busses and the panner should all this should be sweet

I attached 44.1/24bit wav files of my mix dry and with 3 MFC Timed (modern, clean and airpunch). the cine doesnt really work well on my music. Modern is also a good. choice. i'm curious which one you guys like the most.

listen to the files here
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q7lx5wyx39zlv2q/FRpuuwtjd5

Mixing is fun
I don't know if you know this, but the presets are just EQ curves made with some good analog EQ, so nothing's stopping you from dialing in the EQ yourself But hey, if it sounds good it sounds good..

I haven't even tried the panner yet. It's truly hard to imagine that there's any solid state console in existence that sounds better. Let me know if there is.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for the comment. yes I read the manual and there is a smile eq curve for sure. but ya. it sounds good and its subtle.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

ok totally sold on "the drum compressor"
can anybody recommend a neb comp for lead vocals ?
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Nut

The Creamy 660 from cupwise gets a lot of praise for vocals ...
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think any good tube compressor will do, The 660, Phoenix or the DTE.. take your pick. I haven't tried the 660 personally.

The 660 will probably handle the compression itself the best since it's pretty new.
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
I think any good tube compressor will do, The 660, Phoenix or the DTE.. take your pick. I haven't tried the 660 personally.

The 660 will probably handle the compression itself the best since it's pretty new.
No idea how close it is to the real thing... but, it sounds GREAT with the "regular" preset. However, when you render with the SHQ, it is unbeatable in the box. All of the problems that Nebula had with comps pretty much disappears and you can even get a ton of GR to work properly (at least on the comp, limiter still kinda acts weird). Same goes for his 33609.

Then I think, if I had a studio with a real EAR 660, Neve 33609, and DBX 160A (CDSM's), I could do whatever I need.

Now, where's a working 1176 library?
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
I don't know if you know this, but the presets are just EQ curves made with some good analog EQ, so nothing's stopping you from dialing in the EQ yourself But hey, if it sounds good it sounds good..

I haven't even tried the panner yet. It's truly hard to imagine that there's any solid state console in existence that sounds better. Let me know if there is.
I don't mean to insult you, but Nebula presets are far more than simple EQ curves from whatever unit was sampled. Perhaps read up on the whole technology, it's much much more than that. If you already know this, I apologize...but if you do know this, what do you mean then?
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReckNC00 View Post
Now, where's a working 1176 library?
Here you go: G76
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by richinmusic View Post
I don't mean to insult you, but Nebula presets are far more than simple EQ curves from whatever unit was sampled. Perhaps read up on the whole technology, it's much much more than that. If you already know this, I apologize...but if you do know this, what do you mean then?

I think he knew that; he was talking about the Nebula console presets where Alex "sweetened" with eq and embedded it with the console he was capturing. He was not hearing the unadulterated sound of that console, and it was probably the added eq that was making his mix come alive so much so to speak. I have several of his consoles and the straight up pure console programs with no eq are very subtle on a mix imo. When I started adding the tweaked eq versions then obviously you started hearing more of a difference since the signal was being EQed.. Which is great if that was what was needed.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
I think he knew that; he was talking about the Nebula console presets where Alex "sweetened" with eq and embedded it with the console he was capturing. He was not hearing the unadulterated sound of that console, and it was probably the added eq that was making his mix come alive so much so to speak. I have several of his consoles and the straight up pure console programs with no eq are very subtle on a mix imo. When I started adding the tweaked eq versions then obviously you started hearing more of a difference since the signal was being EQed.. Which is great if that was what was needed.
Exactly what I was talking about..

I think that one of the major advantages in the console programs is the improved stereo image.. even with the default presets you get better, deeper, somehow "lifted" stereo image (and punchier transients). It just sounds a bit more powerful and in-your-face IMO in a more natural way.

Once again, when listening for a longer periods of time in TIMED mode, it becomes more apparent when you suddenly turn it off.
Old 25th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Here you go: G76
Tried the heck out of the demos on these one. Still nowhere near what an 1176 is supposed to do, although it's the best try so far. Great tone.
Old 16th April 2014
Gear Nut

Latest development of Nebula Reverb is awesome. Just tested the 1.3.708 version which is 30% or more efficient on CPU, loads faster and have a lot of enhancements. Over the last few months a huge development have been going on with Nebula, including enhanced workflow with their new multiband ACQUA series of plugins. The new ACQUA engine gives you a taste of whats coming in Nebula 4 (to be released later this year). The latest library development from third party developers are setting a new standard of sound quality.
Old 16th April 2014
Lives for gear

Good to hear on 1.3.708 version .

I'm in the middle of a series of projects. I'm always hesitant to upgrade during that time.
Especially Nebula handling 95%+ of the load.
Old 16th April 2014
Lives for gear

Please excuse my ignorance, but I have not tried Nebula for several years.
Is it still very demanding of cpu and rm resources?

I had tried the demo version and it killed my computer - an Athlon II 64bit dual core - at the time.

People said that the full version was a lot more cpu efficient, but I am wondering what would be the minimum spec cpu and ram wise to run a realistic set of Neb plugs these days?
Old 16th April 2014
Lives for gear

Modern Quad core with 8 GB Ram will be a nice starting place. Your DAW being able to freeze is very important also. Reaper is the best at handling many Nebula instances on my computer with Studio One second, YMMV, so you'll want to test your system.
Old 16th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but I have not tried Nebula for several years.
Is it still very demanding of cpu and rm resources?

I had tried the demo version and it killed my computer - an Athlon II 64bit dual core - at the time.

People said that the full version was a lot more cpu efficient, but I am wondering what would be the minimum spec cpu and ram wise to run a realistic set of Neb plugs these days?
I have a I5 intel system, certainly not one of the fastest and since the latest updates I can use multiple instances in Reaper. In a busy mix I can use it on kick, snare, drumbus, bass, vocals, synths, Just to be sure I render the synths with nebula when I use it to colorize. And I only use 1 nebula instance per track, that gives me enough 'sound'.
Performance has become very much better.
BTW I have Nebula3 bundle, not the pro version, that seems to have an even better performance. It depends on the programs tho.
So you will find out what programs are easy on your system.
Old 18th April 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
http://www.alessandroboschi.eu/html/...fenix.htmkfhkh
Old 18th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnew View Post
Latest development of Nebula Reverb is awesome. Just tested the 1.3.708 version which is 30% or more efficient on CPU, loads faster and have a lot of enhancements. Over the last few months a huge development have been going on with Nebula, including enhanced workflow with their new multiband ACQUA series of plugins. The new ACQUA engine gives you a taste of whats coming in Nebula 4 (to be released later this year). The latest library development from third party developers are setting a new standard of sound quality.
I have not upgraded in so long, I cannot remember what is involved. Is there a fee? What special measures need to be taken before upgrading? What risks are involved if I make a mistake? Does Nebula still instantiate as before in older projects? Do you lose any 3rd party libraries? Any other bits of info or insight would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Old 18th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Best Nebula comp for Vocal, Bass and others is Cupwise Creamy 660
Old 18th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
I have not upgraded in so long, I cannot remember what is involved. Is there a fee? What special measures need to be taken before upgrading? What risks are involved if I make a mistake? Does Nebula still instantiate as before in older projects? Do you lose any 3rd party libraries? Any other bits of info or insight would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Hi,

log in at the website, go to 'dashboard', download Nebula or the update version, install, ready, I had no problems with libraries (I used the update versions I think for three times last months).
Worth it for the performance etc. This is just my experience.

Regards

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search