The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula: is it any good? Equalizer Plugins
Old 17th March 2014
  #61
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnew View Post
Purchased Trinity - Nice to finally have a multiband parametric EQ with Nebula technology - Cool! Testing this "british" sounding EQ. Cooltek v2 may arrive in same fashion tomorrow.
I notice the knobs are a bit jumpy in Cubase; you?

Looking forward to Cooltek v2 tomorrow too.
Old 17th March 2014
  #62
Lives for gear
 

So what do the trinity type releases mean for pro users? I see they have a discount on for the release which is great but what about current customers? Is trinity a closed plugin as in can't load other libraries?
Old 17th March 2014
  #63
Gear Nut
 
arnew's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by telluride View Post
I notice the knobs are a bit jumpy in Cubase; you?

Looking forward to Cooltek v2 tomorrow too.
Try shift - mouse wheel - works better!
Old 17th March 2014
  #64
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnew View Post
Try shift - mouse wheel - works better!
I tried that too but it's still a bit too fast for my taste.
minor issue though, the eq is nice.
Old 17th March 2014
  #65
Gear Addict
Trinity EQ = CDSoundmaster Trident (Trid-en-True)?

Looks like SSL freq choices. WHAT IS IT?
Old 17th March 2014
  #66
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by parquix View Post
this Nebula mojo thing you guys talked about is really a game changer.
Welcome to the future, enjoy Nebula, it's a great sounding tool.
Old 18th March 2014
  #67
Lives for gear
Person which created that Trinity EQ for Nebula - is he eating too much of LSD or something...that hurts..i am sure sound is amazing but for real...what happened to color balancing..
Old 18th March 2014
  #68
Lives for gear
 
djanthonyw's Avatar
 

Nebula is very good, but I switched back to algorithmic options because it's better workflow and I feel there are definitely a select few options which meet Nebula and hardware such as:

Satson (and most likely Britson too)
Satin
Equilibrium
SonEQ Pro
Sweetone
The Drop
ArtsAcoustic CL1
WaveArts Tube Saturator
NI Solid Mix
PSP EQs
Old 18th March 2014
  #69
Lives for gear
 
djanthonyw's Avatar
 

double post
Old 18th March 2014
  #70
Lives for gear
 

I have all those too but did the opposite, switched back to Nebula after not using it for about a year.
What a difference, especially with eq's & consoles.
Old 18th March 2014
  #71
Deleted User
Guest
Is "Nebula is best for EQ" still true for people who've tried UAD's recent EQ offerings - Pultec mkII, API, 610, etc.?
Old 18th March 2014
  #72
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Is "Nebula is best for EQ" still true for people who've tried UAD's recent EQ offerings - Pultec mkII, API, 610, etc.?
I tried them. I think Nebula got a little bit better sound. Even with UAD MKII - for me Nebula has better edge. When we are at EQ department. Compressors are another story. I don't like Nebula there at all. But...i switched to algorithmic because of better workflow and less delay.

I still didn't get answer on Nebula 4. Anyone with any clue? Will it address inconvenient delay. Yes i am aware of XML tuning for less delay but i want even less delay..Can anyone point me to official Nebula 4 highlights...Zaphod?
Old 18th March 2014
  #73
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
Can anyone point me to official Nebula 4 highlights...Zaphod?
You'll probably get the most info here: http://www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=11

Old 18th March 2014
  #74
Lives for gear
 
nickelironsteel's Avatar
 

Equilibrium comes close but no dice and im a huge equilibrium fan

Just compare the pultec curves or the gml

Nebula has the edge with eqs

With comps not so much here i dig their mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
Nebula is very good, but I switched back to algorithmic options because it's better workflow and I feel there are definitely a select few options which meet Nebula and hardware such as:

Satson (and most likely Britson too)
Satin
Equilibrium
SonEQ Pro
Sweetone
The Drop
ArtsAcoustic CL1
WaveArts Tube Saturator
NI Solid Mix
PSP EQs
Old 18th March 2014
  #75
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
Equilibrium comes close but no dice and im a huge equilibrium fan

Just compare the pultec curves or the gml

Nebula has the edge with eqs

With comps not so much here i dig their mojo
Exactly my opinion
Old 18th March 2014
  #76
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
You'll probably get the most info here: • View forum - Working with Nebula

Thank you for the link...well to be honest i am a little bit disappointed with what i saw there. Zaphod is telling that Nebula 4 details can't be disclosed which is fine.

But i've found this thread • View topic - Unwanted detuning defect in Nebula libraries: Please Read! and (this is purely my opinion) i don't quite like that attitude of main developer. I mean user is having random really weird repeatable issue. One of the most respectable Nebula program developer confirm it as well (Cupwise), and all i am seeing is developer really weird superiority attitude.

Like that it's user fault because noone mentioned it before (i liked how OP mentioned how he revealed this issue to mix engineers which are supposedly able to hear sonic shadows and auras and how this reveal wasn't exactly nice experience hahaha).

I am aware someone is having hard day but to say that everyone other stinks it's just way over the top. IMHO. Would you say this is something nice and mature (coming from main developer when asked to improve or fix that error which was all about in thread i linkes):

I'll do it if other developers find a way for improving their ones. Promised.
Each time a new plugin is announced on kvr I start testing it (hoping it is good in some way) and I discover after a while I'm adding garbage to my tracks, as long as the plugin count increases. I'm surprised few ones are speaking about this, because guys, I find it everywhere.


Reality check? WTF? I've sold Nebula mainly because of tedious workflow but missimg their EQ. Seeing these weird things at their forum is forcing me to reconsider my plan for Nebula 4.
Old 18th March 2014
  #77
Gear Nut
 
andiw's Avatar
 

@mpod: I don't want to offend anybody but Giancarlo's attitude is sometime a little bit 'arrogant' (and has been in the past as well) ...

So my relationship with Nebula and the 'company' behind it is of the love+hate kind ...

(attention attention: this is my personal opinion!)
Old 18th March 2014
  #78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
Thank you for the link...well to be honest i am a little bit disappointed with what i saw there. Zaphod is telling that Nebula 4 details can't be disclosed which is fine.

But i've found this thread • View topic - Unwanted detuning defect in Nebula libraries: Please Read! and (this is purely my opinion) i don't quite like that attitude of main developer. I mean user is having random really weird repeatable issue. One of the most respectable Nebula program developer confirm it as well (Cupwise), and all i am seeing is developer really weird superiority attitude.

Like that it's user fault because noone mentioned it before (i liked how OP mentioned how he revealed this issue to mix engineers which are supposedly able to hear sonic shadows and auras and how this reveal wasn't exactly nice experience hahaha).

I am aware someone is having hard day but to say that everyone other stinks it's just way over the top. IMHO. Would you say this is something nice and mature (coming from main developer when asked to improve or fix that error which was all about in thread i linkes):

I'll do it if other developers find a way for improving their ones. Promised.
Each time a new plugin is announced on kvr I start testing it (hoping it is good in some way) and I discover after a while I'm adding garbage to my tracks, as long as the plugin count increases. I'm surprised few ones are speaking about this, because guys, I find it everywhere.


Reality check? WTF? I've sold Nebula mainly because of tedious workflow but missimg their EQ. Seeing these weird things at their forum is forcing me to reconsider my plan for Nebula 4.
do what you like regarding your plan for nebula 4. But you cherry picked one post (responding to a trivial comment) out of a 9 page thread with plenty helpful/insightful input from Giancarlo. Even after an accusation from the OP that he thinks no one has the right ears to hear the problem that is staring them in the face - he responds calmly:

• View topic - Unwanted detuning defect in Nebula libraries: Please Read!

Im surprised anyone thinks Giancarlo attitude is arrogant he is one of the nicest developers I ever dealt with! Maybe one slight problem is the language barrier and his english...
Old 18th March 2014
  #79
Lives for gear
 
Jpchartrand's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiw View Post
@mpod: I don't want to offend anybody but Giancarlo's attitude is sometime a little bit 'arrogant' (and has been in the past as well) ...

So my relationship with Nebula and the 'company' behind it is of the love+hate kind ...

(attention attention: this is my personal opinion!)
Fully agree. I find them extremely arrogant but hey...they're developers. Not business folks.
Old 18th March 2014
  #80
Gear Nut
 
andiw's Avatar
 

Just to clarify: you can be nice and seem 'arrogant' at the same time ...

For me arrogant doesn't mean you're an a**hole ... ;-)
Old 18th March 2014
  #81
Lives for gear
 
Jpchartrand's Avatar
Same here. I don't know them personally. I just know that whenever I've needed help from them, they seem very condescending and give answers that only a dev could understand.

I do business development for a living and man I wish I had fell on something like Nebula in my career. I would have milked it like Slate.
Old 18th March 2014
  #82
Lives for gear
 
ultra171's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpchartrand View Post
I do business development for a living and man I wish I had fell on something like Nebula in my career. I would have milked it like Slate.
Maybe that's exactly what Nebula was never really about, eh?

That being said, I had the change to try the Baxandall EQ from CDSoundmaster, "to put some solid state EQ flavor on the master", I thought..

MY GOD! This thing is a revelation. It's like my low-end suddenly grew balls went to the gym! Makes a huge, HUGE difference. No more sloppy, muddy, punchless kicks.

It's easily worth the money, only because of the saturation.
Old 18th March 2014
  #83
Lives for gear
 
Jpchartrand's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
Maybe that's exactly what Nebula was never really about, eh?
haha good one! Are you a politician?
Old 18th March 2014
  #84
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
Maybe that's exactly what Nebula was never really about, eh?

That being said, I had the change to try the Baxandall EQ from CDSoundmaster, "to put some solid state EQ flavor on the master", I thought..

MY GOD! This thing is a revelation. It's like my low-end suddenly grew balls went to the gym! Makes a huge, HUGE difference. No more sloppy, muddy, punchless kicks.

It's easily worth the money, only because of the saturation.
The low boosts on some of the recent Neb EQs... It's just ridiculous. I feel betrayed by the algo plugins I used previous.
Old 18th March 2014
  #85
Lives for gear
 
ultra171's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpchartrand View Post
haha good one! Are you a politician?
No, I mean when you get into it, there are tons of people sharing libraries just for free, and a lot of the 3rd party stuff is just dirt cheap.

Good people man, mostly.
Old 18th March 2014
  #86
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicJesus View Post
Not sure why you equate - "it is not accurately modeling the hardware" with "it sounds like garbage". All along I have said - if you like it, fine then use it. In fact, I don't particularly have an opinion about whether various "emulations" sound good or not.

What I am saying is that in a simple test used to bench hardware (not the only one surely, but one of the simplest), Nebula doesn't stand up as accurately modeling either an harmonic spectrum, "distortion", or non-linear variations. It does, however, introduce aliasing, unusual harmonic high and low passes, and lots of "stuff" that isn't being generated from the hardware. And it amazes me that people who purport to be "engineers" don't bench their equipment (hard or soft)—it is typically the first thing you do with a new piece of equipment before you integrate it into an environment.

By all means - if you like what various emulations do, and you think they sound like the hardware—then use it. Put it on every channel. Obviously, it is doing something that a number of people like. And for that, I congratulate the developers.
I've just been sitting on the outside watching your posts on this subject. I respect your opinion, but it seems to me like you are not forthright with the request for you to post your measurments. Surely you know you cannot just jump onto these forums with what your claiming without substantiating them with the proof of your findings. If you made the measurements its should be a simple process of posting screen shots of your results. That would not only substantiate your claim, but also quell the onslaught. Just saying.
Old 18th March 2014
  #87
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
do what you like regarding your plan for nebula 4. But you cherry picked one post (responding to a trivial comment) out of a 9 page thread with plenty helpful/insightful input from Giancarlo. Even after an accusation from the OP that he thinks no one has the right ears to hear the problem that is staring them in the face - he responds calmly:

• View topic - Unwanted detuning defect in Nebula libraries: Please Read!

Im surprised anyone thinks Giancarlo attitude is arrogant he is one of the nicest developers I ever dealt with! Maybe one slight problem is the language barrier and his english...
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking too...
Old 18th March 2014
  #88
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by imloggedin View Post
Let's not beat around the bush. Anyone with a decent set of ears knows Nebula is the best EQ plugin available at the moment. The programs are so cheap its one of the best investments you can make. Anyone who says otherwise can't hear or isn't setting it up right. Not all programs are created equal also.
I think it does a great job with the preamp simulation as well. Many different color palates to choose from. Especially with the AlexB collection.
Old 18th March 2014
  #89
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylen View Post
I downloaded a 44.1K 5 second sweep from Professional Online Audio Frequency Signal Generator. Put it in Reaper 4.6 44.1K project.
Gain-staged the sweep ahead of the Nebula 3 Pro instance using FreeG (Sonalksis) to -18dbrms. Loaded several commercial EQ presets from AlexB, CDSM, TimPetherick using the 44.1K preset. (All at 44.1K so there's no resampling)
Saw some good stuff (harmonics) & "garbage" (aliasing) in Span below -90dbfs, if I turn the nebula drive knob down then visually the "garbage" goes below -105dbfs and into the sample noise floor. Is that what we're looking at?
Seems to me like those levels are so far down that they are literally "in the noise".
Old 18th March 2014
  #90
Im trying to understand how the term arrogance has been applied to the developers of Nebula - because in all of my interactions since the beta days - they have seemed like the friendliest most humble group of people. Arrogance is defined as "offensive display of superiority or self-importance; overbearing pride."

Then it has occurred to me - perhaps it is the nature of the AA business, alongside the language barrier, italian nature (vs american consumer culture) that has caused this perception.

Nebula has not been developed like a typical plugin business. It really was developed by Giancarlo as a way to try to get better sound for those who could not afford hardware. I remember even having to make a strong request publicly for Giancarlo to develop a Mac version - because in their eyes - Macs were higher cost computers and Nebula was for the broke PC guys who could not afford studios and hardware. But, because they are cool - they listened to the requests and in the end they made it for Mac also. In the early days it very much had a 'Robin Hood' take from the rich give to the poor style feel. As it gained popularity it sort of has grown into a business - but not in the most essential capitalist way. That is why some people who expect anything to be milked for every last drip of that capitalist dollar - might be confused by AA. Even they have said for a while their instructions and website were not ideal and they didnt even want to hugely encourage users to join because for a time it was a developing technology, and they had limited support resources - that they were letting others get in on. People could use this technology but at the cost of time, CPU, workflow etc. The actual money cost tho was always low considering what you got. It was sometimes a frustrating club to be a member of - but a friendly one - because people were always keep to help out and generally just pleased you can get a program for an API 5500 which was indistinguishable from the hardware unit - for €20. I know for a lot of guys in the early days c2008 it was the first time they heard a really nice quality EQ or reverb not from the hardware which they could never afford - but from a Nebula program.

The only problems with support I ever see, is when the support or developers missed a post asking for help and someone does not know whats going on, but as soon as they see - they get a reply. Ok sometimes the organisation structures left a bit to be desired - but for me because the costs were low and technology advanced - I thought it was an amusing idiosyncrasy. Now perhaps from a raw consumer standpoint - it might be seen as arrogant if a group of people set up their business and dont trip over themselves to make the perfect consumer experience and make themselves slaves to the bottom line - but sometimes there is more going on in life than making the maximum - and instead building and doing things your own way to your own set of principals.

Now they are putting proper time into the business and tidying up some of these aspects, quicker automated licenses, support tickets etc. They do listen and I hope people are pleasantly surprised by the new releases...
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump