The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metric Halo announces new technologies and upgrade path Audio Interfaces
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Metric Halo announces new technologies and upgrade path

there are some great new infos from metric halo:
- driver support for win/linux
- usb connection device
- mh link - a new connection over cat5

there are 2 short videos on the german facebook site with bj. buchalter and stefan bahr:
mhlabs.de
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Is it for the entire 2d range? It's metric halo - of course it is. Anymore info that that?
I've been hostage to a mac for years and with bitwig Linux and if I can run my 2882 under Linux disto - this may be massive massive news!
Old 14th March 2014

a great new info would be vst support
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

I went to the German site and found nothing - I also can't find anything via google. Have you got any links?
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter N. View Post

a great new info would be vst support
i think this is also coming
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
I went to the German site and found nothing - I also can't find anything via google. Have you got any links?
facebook search: mhlabs.de
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is it for the entire 2d range? It's metric halo - of course it is. Anymore info that that?
I've been hostage to a mac for years and with bitwig Linux and if I can run my 2882 under Linux disto - this may be massive massive news!
yeah!!! i think metric halo is the one and only company with a superb future-proof support!!!
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nott View Post
facebook search: mhlabs.de
Watch the video on that site !

G
Old 14th March 2014
Here for the gear

It seems that to get Windows/Linux support, one has to get the new USB interface i.e. no driver support for F/W.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Better late than never, congratulations, really good news, now that I am still looking for a new interface.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

4:41 of video 1, did I hear right, "no more aggravate device"

Andy
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Addict

Super excited about this as I'm in the market for new audio interface! I wonder what's the ETA for this?
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

I cannot find this either. Are you sure you read correctly ? Been waiting for a win7 driver but no avail.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
I cannot find this either. Are you sure you read correctly ? Been waiting for a win7 driver but no avail.

Here are the vids. Only the very start is in german. Interesting watch!! Definitely Windows coming.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=584657858292385

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=584662884958549
Old 14th March 2014
Here for the gear

Metric Halo announces new technologies and upgrade path

I'm losing track of all the MusikMesse postings, but I gather no one has posted this yet.
The German Metric Halo branch has posted two videos in which Metric Halo developer B. J. Buchalter wraps up parts of the new technologies they have been developing:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=584657858292385

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=584662884958549

The gist is that all MIO interfaces, as far back as the 2882, will get another upgrade with different interface options including USB. USB will be class-compliant so that basic features of the interfaces can be used in all operating systems supporting the particular USB device class, including Windows and Linux.
Transport is mainly provided with a new technology called MH Link, running via Cat 5 cables. Latency is very low.
A new mixing/routing matrix is provided called MH Router, the numbers are quite stunning with 1024 x 1024 matrix points of simultaneous I/O.
Protocols supported are MADI, ADAT, AES/EBU, and good old analog via MH's converter cards.

As of now, there was no information about pricing and availabilty.

Best regards,
Ralph
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Did I miss something - does this include a Thunderbolt upgrade?

The Metric Halo site still says: "We are currently talking with Intel about integrating Thunderbolt technology into our hardware and once it is available, Thunderbolt will be included in all new products as well as an upgrade for all existing interfaces."
Old 14th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
Did I miss something - does this include a Thunderbolt upgrade?

The Metric Halo site still says: "We are currently talking with Intel about integrating Thunderbolt technology into our hardware and once it is available, Thunderbolt will be included in all new products as well as an upgrade for all existing interfaces."
I believe there will be a variety of interface options to cater different needs.
I'm anticipating a more detailed demo as much as the rest of us, but unfortunately Mr Buchalter's airline inadvertently postponed the delivery of some of his items. In case the MusikMesse is over before things are in one place, Metric Halo Germany will do a video conference in which the news are further detailed and demoed.

Best regards,
Ralph
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysexguy View Post
4:41 of video 1, did I hear right, "no more aggravate device"

Andy
i find that truly aggregating!
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Such a great company!
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

best greetings from bj buchalter (right) and stefan bahr (left) from frankfurt!!!

as every time metric halo comes with amazing new products and a future proof technology!!!

thanks for that

https://www.facebook.com/pages/mhlab...271885?fref=ts
Attached Thumbnails
Metric Halo announces new technologies and upgrade path-metric-halo-bj-buchalter-stefan-bahr.jpg  
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

This is stunning news - so USB integration with 1ms latency drivers (they wrote an entire from the ground up driver!) windows AND Linux.
So thunderbolt may not happen now? Sounds like they don't need it - 1024 streams in both directions is crazy...
My 2882 is without the best investment I've ever made. The thing still sounds like god - can't believe how good it sounds still.
So cheap computer farms or nodes is going to be a game changer for me. I'm no longer forced to buy expensive laptops and overpriced computers again!
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Oh and being class compliant ios devices can now be used in the metric halo world so look out for some cool apps. I just love the fact I'll be able to use the ipad in a fully professional setting without all this convoluted workarounds. Animoog......... Animoog....
Old 14th March 2014
ukm
Gear Nut

I'm interested - but without facebook.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

^^^^ yeah I was the same - I forgot I had an account - worth it to join and see the videos - I've been thinking about the possibilities all night. Stunning announcement. Now how many bones is this gonna cost? I'm assuming this will be done via a daughterboard?
Old 14th March 2014
Quote:
This is stunning news - so USB integration with 1ms latency drivers (they wrote an entire from the ground up driver!) windows AND Linux.
Not 1ms. 1 sample. That's 1/192 of a ms.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Sorry your right! Damn I'm glad to be wrong - 1 sample! Are these guys geniuses or what....
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Oh and being class compliant ios devices can now be used in the metric halo world so look out for some cool apps. I just love the fact I'll be able to use the ipad in a fully professional setting without all this convoluted workarounds. Animoog......... Animoog....
I'm pretty sure the apogee devices have been doing this for a while but, pretty cool none the less!

Quote:
Sorry your right! Damn I'm glad to be wrong - 1 sample! Are these guys geniuses or what....
Can you guys clarify? Its not 1 sample of round trip latency.. thats not possible. I think the matrix routing thing he was talking about takes 1 sample of latency. This is not uncommon.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

The MIO interfaces need a hardware upgrade i guess.

When is this all available? A timeframe pls ?
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Metric Halo should REALLY develop a direct communication mixer controller to put MH Link & Router routing and flexibility right at our fingertips!

MH, are you listening???
Old 15th March 2014
The latency is 1 sample per connection, if I understood correctly. That means if you have computer>router>2882 that is 3 samples of latency one way. If you do monitor mixes using their built in dsp it doesn't need to go to the computer. So latency for instrument>interface>ears should be 2 samples at worst. Latency for instrument>interface>computer>interface>ears should be 6 samples + whatever your DAW/plugins add

This is a box that has been a long time coming. Definitely the missing link.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search