The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metric Halo announces new technologies and upgrade path Audio Interfaces
Old 26th October 2014
Gear Addict

Hmm, a blind test may be in order..
Old 28th October 2014
Hi guys,
maybe someone here can answer:

I have 2882 + ULN2. With 3D cards in both units will I be able to connect more converters via ALL connections?
Say an ADAT unit hooked on to the 2882 and another to the ULN2 plus an AES/EBU to the 2882 and one more AES/EBU to the ULN" AND be able to track all those 30 inputs to Pro Tools??

Mikkel
Denmark
Old 29th October 2014
Lives for gear

Yes you can in 44.1 and 48 KHz
Old 3rd November 2014
Here for the gear

Judging from the announced specs, will the 3d card offer any improvements in terms of SQ to those of us that use a metric halo interface as a DAC (and digital speaker crossover)?
Old 3rd November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhard View Post
Yes you can in 44.1 and 48 KHz
Well, it also depends on if the digital i/o options change with the new card. I got the sense that perhaps one could add 8 channels of AES to the 2882 and/or the ULN-2, which would allow all channels at higher rates. Of course, I could be completely wrong.
Old 6th November 2014
Here for the gear
Sorry if I missed that and it was already mentioned somewhere, but pricing info from mhlabs.de facebook account (google translate, I don't know german ):

Quote:
While working on the last bits for the integration, we are pleased to announce that each Metric Halo hardware that was purchased after March 2014 (as of 9/12/2014 z.Zt.76 € net plus VAT., According to current dollar exchange rate) eligible to upgrade at a price of 99 $, once the 3D upgrade is available.
Equipment acquired before March 2014 can at a price of $ 599 (currently € 460 net plus VAT., According to current dollar state 09/12/2014)
The upgrades will be available directly from Metric Halo Germany.
Old 6th November 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortstarr View Post
Any one have any idea if this upgrade would subsume a 2d upgrade? I have a 2882+DSP and ULN2, neither of which have been upgraded to 2d. I was about to pull that trigger this summer, but I wonder if I should wait?
How does your 2882 have +DSP and no 2d card? 2d card is required for +DSP upgrade..
Old 7th November 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBlack View Post
How does your 2882 have +DSP and no 2d card? 2d card is required for +DSP upgrade..
before there was the 2d card , there were two models of the 2882 and the uln2 . one the normal, without dsp and one the model with + dsp.
Old 11th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhizomeman View Post
My ULN8 and ULN2 are the wisest investments I ever made for my studio...period.
Why do you own both?
Old 11th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
Why do you own both?
I had a ULN2 first, and then was offered an amazing deal on a ULN8 that was too good to pass.
Old 19th November 2014
Confused. Am a ULN2 + 2882 owner

With 3D cards in both units, Can I connect the two via a cat5 cable and just plug a USB3 cable in one of the units and not having to deal with other cables than maybe wordclock via BNC?
So all audio pass through the cat5 cable? And no matter what analog or digital input of the two devices are used will find the DAW?

Just looking for answers :-)
Mikkel
Old 19th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkelkiilerich View Post
Confused. Am a ULN2 + 2882 owner

With 3D cards in both units, Can I connect the two via a cat5 cable and just plug a USB3 cable in one of the units and not having to deal with other cables than maybe wordclock via BNC?
So all audio pass through the cat5 cable? And no matter what analog or digital input of the two devices are used will find the DAW?

Just looking for answers :-)
Mikkel
All you need is the USB cable to one of the boxes and then the ethernet cable between the two boxes, which handles audio, control, and clocking. All inputs and outputs from both boxes will be available to the DAW with no external bussing. That's it. If you have another computer, that can be connected to the other box via USB at the same time with full access.

HTH
Old 20th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhurwitz View Post
All you need is the USB cable to one of the boxes and then the ethernet cable between the two boxes, which handles audio, control, and clocking. All inputs and outputs from both boxes will be available to the DAW with no external bussing. That's it. If you have another computer, that can be connected to the other box via USB at the same time with full access.

HTH
Jesus!!! This is crazy...THXXXX!!!!!
Old 21st November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkelkiilerich View Post
Jesus!!! This is crazy...THXXXX!!!!!
You can see why there's so much anticipation about this upgrade. What other company retrofits with this kind of technology all the way back to their first product?
Old 21st November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhurwitz View Post
If you have another computer, that can be connected to the other box via USB at the same time with full access.
HTH
2 computers accessing the same 2 boxes with full control simultaneously? I'm trying to envisage a usage scenario and mostly how that won't cause all kinds of conflict madness. "they're mine" "no mine!" "I said 48" "Well I said 44.1"

serial-wrong-end-of-stick-getter btw but someone had to ask....
Old 21st November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
2 computers accessing the same 2 boxes with full control simultaneously? I'm trying to envisage a usage scenario and mostly how that won't cause all kinds of conflict madness. "they're mine" "no mine!" "I said 48" "Well I said 44.1"

serial-wrong-end-of-stick-getter btw but someone had to ask....
You know, all those questions occurred to me as well, but I'm sure that Metric Halo has it figured out.

This was the initial statement:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** Q4: When I connect multiple computers which will show the Miomixer? All of them or is one the master?

We are still working on this, so we are going to defer answering it until we have a more complete story to tell.

*** Q5: Can I record to two computers at the same time for redundancy?

Yes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later statements gave the distinct impression that all boxes would have access to the mixer, so that you could have a computer accessing each box which would allow different people access to the mixing functions. Being able to set up independent mixing stations so that performers have access to their own mixes as well as to allow comprehensive film mixing setups, so that you can have a sound effects mixer, a dialogue mixer, and a music mixer, etc., all working together both seemed to be scenarios that were envisioned.

I'm sure that there will probably be some protocol to ensure that the above catastrophes don't occur. Full details probably won't come out until the release of the 3d card.
Old 24th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Pardon my probable ignorance but does this MH protocol has anything to do with (or is it compatible with) AVB? So lets say I would buy the Avid S3 controller (that has an AVB audio interface in it), could I link the 3D box to it via the ethernet connection on both?

thanks in advance
Old 24th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cube View Post
Pardon my probable ignorance but does this MH protocol has anything to do with (or is it compatible with) AVB? So lets say I would buy the Avid S3 controller (that has an AVB audio interface in it), could I link the 3D box to it via the ethernet connection on both?

thanks in advance
It might be related in some way, but no, they are not compatible. It is a protocol that is proprietary to Metric Halo. It would be nice if it could speak to other manufacturer's devices, but I doubt that's going to happen in the near future.
Old 17th December 2014
Gear Addict

Any Updates on timetable ?
Old 17th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomteontour View Post
Last word we got was two or three months at this point as things get solidified with the 3d interfaces. Looking very forward to it. Metric Halo makes great kit and I'm looking forward to this. Can't wait till it's released.

I use 6 of their interfaces to do high channel count stuff and it's a delight.
Old 17th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomteontour View Post
AFAIK Spring 2015.
Old 17th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
AFAIK Spring 2015.
North hemisphere spring I suppose. heh

Anyway, time to save some money. Looking forward to the USB/Windows implementation as I'm pretty tired of chasing interfaces...will get a Metric Halo and never look back!
Old 17th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
North hemisphere spring I suppose. heh

Anyway, time to save some money. Looking forward to the USB/Windows implementation as I'm pretty tired of chasing interfaces...will get a Metric Halo and never look back!
my exact same thoughts diogo.. difference being that i'm on OSX and never look back as well on that :P
Old 24th March 2015
Lives for gear

any news on 3d cards? did i miss it?
Old 15th April 2015
Anyone else getting nervous?
Old 15th April 2015
Gear Addict

It's a little strange that there haven't been ANY real updates now for a year! Wasn't it Musicmesse last year that they announced it? I bought my 2882 in anticipation of the 3D card.
Old 15th April 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actualsizeaudio View Post
Anyone else getting nervous?
Never let yourself get nervous with this company. They always deliver on everything, and everything just kicks ass right out of the door. This company will outlast them all. 25 years from now I'll still be using my LIO-8 and ULN-2 while the landfills are heaped with today's Apollos and Apogees...and they will sound and perform as gloriously as they do today.

Excited and patiently waiting for some 3D.

-dd
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

Why do loyal customers have to pay $599 for the upgrade and new customers just $99 is really beyond me. This is a really bad decision. $249 is more like it.
Old 22nd April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Why do loyal customers have to pay $599 for the upgrade and new customers just $99 is really beyond me. This is a really bad decision. $249 is more like it.
BJ mentioned on the MH mailing list that there will be deals for existing customers.

"Folks,

On this topic (the price tag), you have got to remember that this is Metric Halo we are talking about. There will be a loyal customer program as well as a program for upgrading multiple units at the same time. But we are not ready to talk about details at the moment.

The key take away from the information we provided with the sale is that if you have been on the fence on buying a new box now -- go ahead -- there is no downside.

B.J. Buchalter
Metric Halo
Metric Halo "
Old 11th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
In my opinion this is an absurd attitude to take. I bought my units early at a much higher cost than they go for now, but I've been using them daily for years. I would never expect to pay the same upgrade price, or even same price per unit as some customer who is just getting into the game now. You HAVE to let people know who might jump in now that they will be taken care of or else no one will buy a new unit, which means MH doesn't make any money, which means they would never be able to develop and support the new upgrade in the first place. The price of things hopefully comes down as technology moves forward, especially computer based things. If you can't accept that then I recommend sticking to buying only analog gear.

B.J.:0 godspeed on this upgrade. Thunderbolt sucks. The sooner we can get these things off that bus of our mac pros and onto the USB bus the sooner we can start living a happier life in here (hopefully).
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search