The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metric Halo announces new technologies and upgrade path Audio Interfaces
Old 12th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdizzy View Post
So what was the reason these units used firewire instead of USB2...?
When they first started, I think it was a case of fw vs usb1. So no brainer there.
Then after that, if I remember correctly, USB2 was using the CPU for data transfer while fw had its own on board chip (macs using the reliable ti chip), so I think it probably also made sense to continue with firewire as the drivers were already there and users didn't have to worry about any load on the CPU.
Bare in mind MH was only for macs, and all macs for a long time came with FW and the same chip and driver, which made things simple for both MH and customers.
Now that they're opening up their product to windows and linux, and the fact all macs and PCs come with at least USB2 while the majority don't come with fw, it made sense for them to develop new code specific to USB.

Is my guess.
Old 13th April 2014
I think their implementation of USB 2 is also something that's quite different from the standard implementation. It seems like it wasn't until they took a fresh look at all the options that they discovered that USB 2 could perform like this. After looking at the video, I got the sense that maybe B.J. was as surprised as we are!
Old 13th April 2014
Lives for gear

I hope they update the built in DSP fx to match their production suite. The interface on the higher res screens is just too painful.
+1 on simple mixer control
Old 13th April 2014
Lives for gear

Definently - I want the production sweet and am about to pick up Chanel strip 3 for $30 I would love to use more than a few instances of haloverb - also the GUI would be great as would the updated code, I guess if we are paying for an updated card with more powerful dsp this maybe possible and why it wasn't able to be done before? Mh are extremely generous.
Old 13th April 2014
Lives for gear

Can someone speak of the analog side of the 2882? I guess it's pretty common knowledge that the quality of conversion is largely dictated by the quality of the analog integration as behringer and lynx share converter chipsets.
I've always wondered if there was a mod or I'd just love to know more about it
Old 14th April 2014
Gear Addict

Any more info on the timeline for release / hw updates to existing interfaces ?

cheers
Old 14th April 2014
Gear Addict

Any more info on the timeline for release / hw updates to existing interfaces ?

cheers
Old 14th April 2014
Lives for gear

Anyone found any more info whatsoever? We got the info-blast and lost luggage at NAMM and AFAIK nothing since then.
Old 16th April 2014
Gear Maniac

I am confused as to the possibilities for low latency performance for virtual instruments.

I have heard some things about linux and low latency, and now im seeing this metric halo ipdate.

I am currently using rme ff800 and ableton live 9 , and am getting a round trip latency of about 6ms at 44.1.

I would like to get this down under 3ms if possible.

Can anyone chime in on whether bitwig on linux and updated metric halo offers better instrument performance?
Old 16th April 2014
Gear Maniac

I am confused as to the possibilities for low latency performance for virtual instruments.

I have heard some things about linux and low latency, and now im seeing this metric halo ipdate.

I am currently using rme ff800 and ableton live 9 , and am getting a round trip latency of about 6ms at 44.1.

I would like to get this down under 3ms if possible.

Can anyone chime in on whether bitwig on linux and updated metric halo offers better instrument performance?
Old 16th April 2014
Lives for gear

Read the thread and watch the videos etc, as far as I can see there has been no mention of latencies, only box-to-box times. I'm hoping there will be positive implications for latencies but as all we've seen so far is a Powerpoint and a frothing German I think we're a way off any info about your bleeding edge dream combo yet. (not being snarky, just that as-yet-vapourware, Linux and Bitwig is a relatively...esoteric setup.
Old 17th April 2014
Here for the gear

So I've loved my ULN-2 (now 2D) for over ten years now, and I'm completely in favor of future-proofing and bringing in all those potential users with USB, but it's getting a little long in the tooth, and at some point I wouldn't exactly mind a replacement device. I wouldn't think twice before putting down my $1999 on a ULN-2X that provided the converters of the ULN-8, a more powerful (and routable) headphone output, updated controls, and thunderbolt. I'd expect that unit to last at least ten years itself. Not every Metric Halo user needs to chain several devices to run concerts through; some of us just need the best two or four channel unit possible and don't want to even think about looking outside the family, as it were. I'd go to a LIO-8 before I went to another company, but I've really no need for its eight inputs, and it'd be nice to stay at the size of the ULN-2. Good, though, to see things rolling forward in Safety Harbor. maybe a sign of more activity to come?
Old 17th April 2014
Lives for gear

Very much with you, this upgrade seems aimed at multi-box and new usb users, unless there's some dramatic latency/functionality improvement I have no reason to upgrade either. As you said, a ULN4 would KILL and I totally agree on better headphone routability too. As always, write to them and let them know directly.
Old 17th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
Very much with you, this upgrade seems aimed at multi-box and new usb users, unless there's some dramatic latency/functionality improvement I have no reason to upgrade either. As you said, a ULN4 would KILL and I totally agree on better headphone routability too. As always, write to them and let them know directly.
If you're already satisfied with your DSP performance for plugins in the MIO mixer, you probably don't need it.
Never used a ULN2 so not sure how much of the DSP is used for high sample rate audio coming in and out, but if uses a fair bit, this upgrade will basically free up all of your DSP for plugins only so you should see the benefit.
Obviously makes much more sense for the 8 channel users and especially those with multiple boxes.
Old 20th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
Can someone speak of the analog side of the 2882? I guess it's pretty common knowledge that the quality of conversion is largely dictated by the quality of the analog integration as behringer and lynx share converter chipsets.
I've always wondered if there was a mod or I'd just love to know more about it
There's a lot to be found about this on these forums but as a user for 3 or so years I'll say it's an amazing unit, not just considering its age. Virtually the only flaw I can find is that the Mic Pres get a bit noisy after 25dB or so, so if you use low output mics a lot, budget for suitable external pres.

I wouldn't want to miss its sound, the dsp plugins (especially character) and the routing possibilities at this point. We use one live on stage and just love it... independent monitor mixes for in ear, gates, eq and compression on every synth and mic... all without taking CPU load away from ableton. Much much love for MH over here.
Old 20th April 2014
Lives for gear

That's funny I haven't been able to find a thing on the analog side of the 2882. Apparently it uses gen 1 aNalog whereas uln2 uses gen2 analog. I'm wondering the differnance. I'm suspecting it operates on a higher voltage rail due to the uln2 pres.
The 2882 has zipper noise above 40db but I don't use the pres. I guess my main question is - are there any mods available - it will need recapping at some point due to the digital card now being replaced for a second time.
It must be excellent as that's the thing that separates the quality of conversion the most - 14 years is a long time to be at the top
Old 23rd June 2014
Lives for gear

Any more news??
Old 23rd June 2014
Lives for gear

Nope I've been looking just then - nothing more I can find
Old 23rd June 2014
You guess correctly: 2882 analog voltages are lower, due to bus powering capability. It ships with a switchable "mod" for "high power mode" - basically when you're plugged into the wall it can run the rails hotter. The zipper noise you mention only happens when you change levels in realtime. It's a consequence of the unit's fully digital controls (ULN2 is fully analog-controlled level, gen 3 ULN8 is digitally-controlled analog, no zipper noise ever in either).

As to new architecture, based on their comments about these technologies, I would expect to see shipping boxes sometime in fall or early winter. It's a BIG shift, that affects the whole line.
Old 23rd June 2014
You guess correctly: 2882 analog voltages are lower, due to bus powering capability. It ships with a switchable "mod" for "high power mode" - basically when you're plugged into the wall it can run the rails hotter. The zipper noise you mention only happens when you change levels in realtime. It's a consequence of the unit's fully digital controls (ULN2 is fully analog-controlled level, gen 3 ULN8 is digitally-controlled analog, no zipper noise ever in either).

As to new architecture, based on their comments about these technologies, I would expect to see shipping boxes sometime in fall or early winter. It's a BIG shift, that affects the whole line.
Old 15th July 2014
Here for the gear

I'm pleased to read that Windows support is coming in the near future. I almost broke down and bought a cheap MacBook Pro off of Ebay, just so I could use the ULN-2 as my interface.
Old 29th August 2014
Gear Addict

Any more news on the schedule ?
Old 29th August 2014
Lives for gear

Damn I thought there was some news. I woudnt expect anything til late in the year
Old 30th August 2014
Lives for gear

Hurry up already!
I hope the increase the size of the plugin interfaces. The knobs on MIO compressor at tiny. I hope they change the colour on the eq too. The dark blue text on black background is pretty hard to read.
Old 30th August 2014
Lives for gear

Hurry up already!
I hope the increase the size of the plugin interfaces. The knobs on MIO compressor at tiny. I hope they change the colour on the eq too. The dark blue text on black background is pretty hard to read.
Old 31st August 2014
Lives for gear

I'd wish for an extra upgrade option in hardware for the ULN/LIO-8 when they update the hardware platform to meet USB2/Ethernet routing and audio transfers:
the possibiltity to exchange the digital AES for an extra set of 8 analog IO.
This would make the LIO/ULN-8 killer with 16 analog hi-grade IO. Buy 2 and you have 32 IO fully matrixed in 2 1U racks.
Would love this!!
If only MH would consider offering this option in their upgrade path....
Old 31st August 2014
Lives for gear

I'd wish for an extra upgrade option in hardware for the ULN/LIO-8 when they update the hardware platform to meet USB2/Ethernet routing and audio transfers:
the possibiltity to exchange the digital AES for an extra set of 8 analog IO.
This would make the LIO/ULN-8 killer with 16 analog hi-grade IO. Buy 2 and you have 32 IO fully matrixed in 2 1U racks.
Would love this!!
If only MH would consider offering this option in their upgrade path....
Old 31st August 2014
lxm
Gear Addict

WOW im really dumb. I just bought a ULN-8 and didnt realize they dont have Windows drivers. I thought there was no such thing. Guess I was wrong :( Looks like I might be converting to a Hackintosh. Yikes.

How much would this conversion be?
Old 31st August 2014
Lives for gear

I think they plan to support windows. Send them email perhaps they can provide a beta version.
Old 31st August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxm View Post
WOW im really dumb. I just bought a ULN-8 and didnt realize they dont have Windows drivers. I thought there was no such thing. Guess I was wrong :( Looks like I might be converting to a Hackintosh. Yikes.

How much would this conversion be?
Windows is coming. I don't think you have to convert to a Hackintosh, but a Mac Mini or something similar might work out for a while in the meantime (I found a Mac Pro 1,1 in a recycle bin that is working out quite well for me, although it doesn't run the latest OS. Can't beat the price!).

It depends on what you want to do with it, for simple capture and basic mixing, etc., you don't need a very powerful machine. For lots of VIs, well, I don't do that myself, but I would imagine it might be a bit pricier.

We're all waiting on the edge of our seats for the new cards! It would be great if BJ could give us an update.

Edwin
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search