The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metric Halo announces new technologies and upgrade path Audio Interfaces
Old 21st March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
You need to re-read the MH tech post

Yes you get all the routing with 4 additional samples - the routing - NOT i/o audio to audio!
I don't need to re-read it. I understood that. I was referring to the box to box routing latency, not audio to audio latency. sorry.
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Maniac
This is mind-blowing. I'm excited more than I can say. I've got 3 ULN-8s, used both in the studio an for remote work. I'm just SOOOOOO glad to see an elegant solution for multibox setups that offers this kind of throughput and flexibility. On top of this solution, the fact that we're moving to USB and opening up to Windows/iOS/Linux is just stunning....can't wait!!!!
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actualsizeaudio View Post
I don't need to re-read it. I understood that. I was referring to the box to box routing latency, not audio to audio latency. sorry.
Cool - I see your edit - I deleted mine :-) --- carry on...
Old 21st March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
Cool - I see your edit - I deleted mine :-) --- carry on...
You should un-delete it! That's helpful info, especially for people who don't own these boxes.

I've got some so I was vague in my original post because I was imagining it in my mind. Plus, all A/D D/A involves samples of latency, which while some of us might take it for granted, others might not realize or remember.

I believe Pro Tools HDX is .7ms which at 48K is 33 samples. So as you can see with the numbers you posted, within the Mio mixing environment they are comparable. Within the DAW environment it's another story.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actualsizeaudio View Post
You should un-delete it! That's helpful info, especially for people who don't own these boxes.

I've got some so I was vague in my original post because I was imagining it in my mind. Plus, all A/D D/A involves samples of latency, which while some of us might take it for granted, others might not realize or remember.

I believe Pro Tools HDX is .7ms which at 48K is 33 samples. So as you can see with the numbers you posted, within the Mio mixing environment they are comparable. Within the DAW environment it's another story.
Sorry about that - no undelete button though :-) -

WRT HDx - the 0.7ms figure is for 96kHz operation using dsp accelerated plugins with AVID i/o. The actual A/D D/A time is not published for these but I have measured the LowLatency monitor mode in the HD i/o at 96kHz and found that time to be 0.47ms. At 44.1kHz the HD i/o A/D D/A times are much higher (1.9ms)! Extrapolating this all out:

HDx processing time 96kHz ~0.23ms
Mio processing time 44.1kHz ~0.24ms (never measured at 96kHz)
ULN8 A/D D/A = 107samples = 2.43ms (44.1), 1.12ms(96)
AVID 16X16 A/D D/A ~1.9ms (44.1), 0.47ms(96)

I owned a ULN8 for a year and a half and still own the AVID 16x16. All are measured data from scope and function generator.
Old 22nd March 2014
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
As I read BJ's email, the channel count between Mio/DAW will be 96i/o at 44/48; 48 i/o at 88/96; and 24 i/o at 192. Internally, the Mio via the MH router will have a limit of 1024 X 1024 channels. If I'm understanding this correctly -- well to quote another post above -- Bad. Ass.
Extending the 18 channels a unit can sum ATM would be a godsend. Still, when BJ says 'more channels, more plugins', it sounds almost too good to be true. I mean, it's the same dsp inside. Of course I can only hope to be able to run on my ULN-2 96 Characters on 96 channels and completely bypass the DAW's mixer...
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
Extending the 18 channels a unit can sum ATM would be a godsend. Still, when BJ says 'more channels, more plugins', it sounds almost too good to be true. I mean, it's the same dsp inside. Of course I can only hope to be able to run on my ULN-2 96 Characters on 96 channels and completely bypass the DAW's mixer...
Uhh -- no. It is a new DSP as part of the upgrade. Plus offload of a bunch of stuff that the DSP is currently doing…

More channels, more plugins…

Best regards,

B.J. Buchalter
Metric Halo
Old 22nd March 2014
OMU
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply! Sounds good. I always liked MIO for summing better than pretty much any other piece of software I came across. Now let's see what 'affordable' means
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Nut

Too bad USB-PD is still in the early stages of drafting. This would have allowed bus powering of devices like firewire, assuming the host computer supports it in the future...
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Power over ethernet maybe
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Thinking around 'Mobile' and 'future' (read 'present'), and that this upgrade seems to be focussed on connectivity, in the same way as uln2/2882 have 2 FW ports I'd LOVE to see 4 usb ports on the upgrade. Even usb 2 would allow a very useful number of synths/controllers and less hubs, clogged up ports, esp. in a live/mobile situation. I was wondering about regular midi connections but at this stage in the game usb ports would be far more use to a wider range of users I think.
Any info on such? And thanks BJ and the MH folks, money-where-the-mouth-is future-proofing and upgrades are .....simply right in so many ways.
Old 24th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejohn View Post
I cannot find this eithe
????
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear
if you don't want to upgrade to the new usb format, will the existing firewire boxes continue to be supported?
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

New rumor material on the mhlabs.de facebook page. Wireless phone app for Metric Halo. Probably for controlling it?
Old 26th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by just.sounds View Post
New rumor material on the mhlabs.de facebook page. Wireless phone app for Metric Halo. Probably for controlling it?
I've been pestering them for a while for a way for talent to control their own monitor mixes via iOs. I would love this if multiple phones could access the mixer at once!
Old 26th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhurwitz View Post
I've been pestering them for a while for a way for talent to control their own monitor mixes via iOs. I would love this if multiple phones could access the mixer at once!
What they should do is let the mixer be controlled by MIDI/OSC like countless people have asked. This would open up their market quite a bit as you would be able to use your own controllers with MIO Console. Great for live work/performance.
Old 26th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgordito View Post
What they should do is let the mixer be controlled by MIDI/OSC like countless people have asked. This would open up their market quite a bit as you would be able to use your own controllers with MIO Console. Great for live work/performance.
Would this allow multiple people to access the MIO Console at once?
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

That could be done with OSC. For instance touchosc is an implementation of osc for tablets.
Old 26th March 2014
Quote:
Would this allow multiple people to access the MIO Console at once?
You would just need to broadcast the console state to all clients so that everyone has the current console settings. This wouldn't be a problem if either MIO Console was aware of all clients (IP addresses).

I think MH has always wanted to come up with their own complete solution where you can insert plugins, create new tracks, etc.

I think most people would be extremely happy just to have a midi/OSC learn feature to control your "default" console settings. People don't usually change/design their MIO console live. They have it setup the way they want and add a channel if needed on the spot.

By opening up to MIDI/OSC learn people could designed their simplified tablet/phone UIs using lemur or touchOSC. I've given up hope... this is why my uln-2 stays at home while I bring a ubspre2 and run plugins via software when I need to.
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

I really wonder whether it would be possible to use the +DSP based Metric Halo Plugins in the host DAW like you can with a UAD box. They (sadly) never implemented it with Firewire, and I guess with USB it will be impossible anyways. A lot of the DSP power goes unused like that. Maybe there will still be the MIO Console Plugin that allows streaming to the DAW. Which is about the same workflow as Waves offer with their new Digigrid stuff. Dunno, I just don't find it intuitive when workin in a DAW environment.
Old 26th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimmt View Post
They (sadly) never implemented it with Firewire, and I guess with USB it will be impossible anyways.
Not necessarily, and certainly not because of the USB2 "speed," which is what MH's protocol overrides. USB2 as implemented by MH will have much higher throughput than Firewire.
Old 27th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimmt View Post
They (sadly) never implemented it with Firewire, and I guess with USB it will be impossible anyways.
They never implemented a lot of things they never said they were going to do. Buy the production bundle and turn that frown upside down, cupcake.
Old 27th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
They never implemented a lot of things they never said they were going to do. Buy the production bundle and turn that frown upside down, cupcake.
+1. The production bundle is actually superior in some ways in that there are more parameters available. I'm hoping they are going to bring some of those developments back over to the hardware versions.
Old 29th March 2014
Lives for gear

I'm floored and stunned! As the owner of two 2882s and a LIO - this is what I've been waiting for!
Old 29th March 2014
Gear Maniac

My age-old 2882 might just be the only piece of music equipment without strings or skins on it or membranes in it that has stuck around for such a long time. Easily the best investment in computer equipment I've ever made. I can't wait to link up the two of them and start PROPER drum recording.
Old 11th April 2014
Gear Head
Any one have any idea if this upgrade would subsume a 2d upgrade? I have a 2882+DSP and ULN2, neither of which have been upgraded to 2d. I was about to pull that trigger this summer, but I wonder if I should wait?
Old 11th April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortstarr View Post
Any one have any idea if this upgrade would subsume a 2d upgrade? I have a 2882+DSP and ULN2, neither of which have been upgraded to 2d. I was about to pull that trigger this summer, but I wonder if I should wait?
I don't know, but I suspect that the new card replaces the 2d card since they both replace the internal dsp.
Old 11th April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortstarr View Post
I would wait. The new card will replace just about everything except the analog board (as far as I understand it).

It's hard to wait, though!
Old 12th April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
I would wait. The new card will replace just about everything except the analog board (as far as I understand it).

It's hard to wait, though!
+1
Old 12th April 2014
Gear Maniac

So what was the reason these units used firewire instead of USB2...?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search