The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metric Halo announces new technologies and upgrade path Audio Interfaces
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
I am sure the networking and channeling is all great for some, but for us most home studio users who have only ONE 2882 or LIO or ULN8..... what do we gain from all this?
You currently have twenty mixer tracks through firewire. As best I can tell, you will now have almost a hundred through USB2. To me, that's a big deal.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

'faster audio'...how much faster I wonder?
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I see faster audio, a bit more routing flexibility, connection through USB or Ethernet, and - ta da!- Windows drivers..... but thats about it, no?
No, the upgrade comes with a cookie.
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Addict

Does Win Support mean, we could see VST support for the Plug In Suite in 2014 as well ?
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

I watched the videos, but I don't get it yet. Will the interfaces get a hardware-upgrade? Will I need an additional box between interface and computer?
Did someone visit the MHalo-booth in Frankfurt and could be more specific about the setup? Does anyone know at least anything about the cost?
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

my guess is that existing interfaces will get an upgrade pcb + back panel upgrade wich incorperates the RJ45 MHlink(ethernet) sockets. Similar to the 2d card upgrade for the uln2.

Further there is a mystery box in the works with usb and rj45 connections.
This box has at least a crosspoint routing matrix but it is not sure if there are more goodies in it.

edit: maybe it also incorperates a usb in the back panel/pcb upgrade. So you can acces all the audio streams from your boxes and leave matrix as centrepiece.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomuse View Post
You currently have twenty mixer tracks through firewire. As best I can tell, you will now have almost a hundred through USB2. To me, that's a big deal.
But that won't really matter to a small setup that only uses one MH box. It seems like if you're on a Mac with one box there isn't much new here. But once you want to expand past one box it really changes the game.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

We have 6 boxes....it's a dream come true for me!!!
I want it!!!
Old 17th March 2014
Quote:
I am sure the networking and channeling is all great for some, but for us most home studio users who have only ONE 2882 or LIO or ULN8..... what do we gain from all this?

I see faster audio, a bit more routing flexibility, connection through USB or Ethernet, and - ta da!- Windows drivers..... but thats about it, no?
Well, if you are using only one box, it's true that the improvements might not mean much, but having inter box audio communication is truly revolutionary. The promise of having a multi box digital mixer with all the MH capabilities brings the boxes way past the status of being mere interfaces. I've used my 3 box setup as a mixer for things like doing in ear monitor mixes, etc., which is doable, but requires a fair amount of planning in terms of setting up bus routing in advance and keeping track of which sub mixes go where, not to mention using up digital inputs which could otherwise be used for more mic or line inputs. It can get convoluted quickly and if the gig throws curveballs, like more inputs or more mix requirements, compromises can be tricky. For instance, I recorded a 14 piece marimba band on location with 10 different headphone mixes going on, and it took quite a while to figure out what submix compromises would be acceptable for each headphone mix. With the new setup, having busses that go across all the boxes mean that no compromises are necessary, nor are lots of extra strips in the MIO Console mixer.

Also, I'm looking forward to being able to have some musicians connect to the other two boxes with their devices to directly create their own mixes. I've been doing this already using Logic running purely as a mixer, accessible via Pro Remote, but it's a lot of computer resources for the benefit of one player. I'm hoping this a first step to creating a method of having multiple iPad or iPhone users all being able to adjust their own monitor mixes at the same time.

So, I'd call it a lot more routing flexibility!
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
But that won't really matter to a small setup that only uses one MH box. It seems like if you're on a Mac with one box there isn't much new here.
I don't see that. If I make it a point to sum, mix and master with the MH fx in the MH box, which I do, I won't now be forced to go down to stems/submixes in stages to do it. To me that's a matter of significant convenience. It doesn't mean I can now do something that was absolutely beyond the capability of the system before, but it does mean there is a much faster and more flexible way to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
But once you want to expand past one box it really changes the game.
That's for certain.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear
The "exciting" thing here is blocks of channels connected with Cat5! Wiring is a huge deal in even 2 box setups and can easily cost $1K+. Connecting - interconnecting multiple boxes with simple Ethernet is a huge time and cost saver. Why not extend this straight into the computer?

Ethernet is now an official trend, eh? Waves, Focusrite and now MH...
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

I suspect it is not an ip protocol and you can't use regular ethernet hardware. Because ethernet is not capable of 1 sample latency. It is probably more close to aes50 or Madi in structure but i'm very curious what BJ has cooked ;-)
Old 17th March 2014
GnS
Gear Maniac

BJ, are you hearing us? Tell us a little more please!!!
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Head

TechTalk

Maybe I can get BJ for a small after-show TechTalk tonight, and picking up some of your questions...
Soon
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
The "exciting" thing here is blocks of channels connected with Cat5! Wiring is a huge deal in even 2 box setups and can easily cost $1K+. Connecting - interconnecting multiple boxes with simple Ethernet is a huge time and cost saver. Why not extend this straight into the computer?

Ethernet is now an official trend, eh? Waves, Focusrite and now MH...
I started streaming multiplex audio and midi over ethernet back in 2003 with FxTeleport, and then later with Vienna Ensemble Pro. Gigabit ethernet is pretty robust and they now even have 10 gigabit ethernet.
Old 18th March 2014
cme
Gear Nut

To me, while everything else is huge, being able to use windows or Linux is the biggest deal. And since it's USB 2.0 it will work with basically any computer out there. But come on MH. Where some official info??!?
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear
presumably then, you can run the MIO on usb and things like firewire hd and uad boxes can use the firewire - useful for people with older iMacs. wonder if you'll be able to use the mio with an iPad?
Old 18th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by loaf View Post
presumably then, you can run the MIO on usb and things like firewire hd and uad boxes can use the firewire - useful for people with older iMacs. wonder if you'll be able to use the mio with an iPad?
I think that's the idea with implementing a class compliant USB protocol, at least that's what B.J. implied. I guess they'd need to develop a Console app to go along with it.

Those guys must be working awfully hard in Florida these days.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhurwitz View Post
I think that's the idea with implementing a class compliant USB protocol, at least that's what B.J. implied.
The video showed compatibility with iOS devices, so the answer is yes…
Old 19th March 2014
Quote:
Well, if you are using only one box, it's true that the improvements might not mean much, but having inter box audio communication is truly revolutionary. The promise of having a multi box digital mixer with all the MH capabilities brings the boxes way past the status of being mere interfaces. I've used my 3 box setup as a mixer for things like doing in ear monitor mixes, etc., which is doable, but requires a fair amount of planning in terms of setting up bus routing in advance and keeping track of which sub mixes go where, not to mention using up digital inputs which could otherwise be used for more mic or line inputs. It can get convoluted quickly and if the gig throws curveballs, like more inputs or more mix requirements, compromises can be tricky. For instance, I recorded a 14 piece marimba band on location with 10 different headphone mixes going on, and it took quite a while to figure out what submix compromises would be acceptable for each headphone mix. With the new setup, having busses that go across all the boxes mean that no compromises are necessary, nor are lots of extra strips in the MIO Console mixer.

Also, I'm looking forward to being able to have some musicians connect to the other two boxes with their devices to directly create their own mixes. I've been doing this already using Logic running purely as a mixer, accessible via Pro Remote, but it's a lot of computer resources for the benefit of one player. I'm hoping this a first step to creating a method of having multiple iPad or iPhone users all being able to adjust their own monitor mixes at the same time.

This plus 1000. I have 3 boxes, and right now certain configurations cause me to suffer cranial dissonance. This looks like an end to that. Holy cow.

I'm wondering if you can use all of the available outputs in a 3 box system in the monitor controller section. That would be awesome.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Nut

Hal-lay-frikkin-loo-yah.

I threw out all things Mac at start of 2013, and I was getting very close to finally biting the HDX bullet.

But sorry AVID, I am now going to go full Windows / Metric Halo.

Happy dance, happy dance.
Old 19th March 2014
Perhaps this routing system opens up potentially another added bonus: The ability to use +DSP plugs as an insert directly within the DAW, i.e. UAD plug-ins.

Just a thought.
Old 19th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actualsizeaudio View Post
Perhaps this routing system opens up potentially another added bonus: The ability to use +DSP plugs as an insert directly within the DAW, i.e. UAD plug-ins.

Just a thought.
isn't this already possible with console connect? (or has that been phased out? it's been years since I used it)
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakanai View Post
isn't this already possible with console connect? (or has that been phased out? it's been years since I used it)
Yes and no and no.

Yes you can use +DSP plugs by routing signals from the DAW to the MIO, though the routing was greatly simplified with the release of the MIO v5mixer.

No console connect does not provide away to use those same plugs within the DAW, it does provide away to link DAW files to specific MIO v5 mixer set ups for easy recall. However, MH did create DAW versions of their +DSP plugs for sale separately.

No it has not been phased out.
Old 19th March 2014
rlg
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I'm very interested in the new routing options as well. I'm juggling two ULN-8s and a 2882 in my studio, with a need (well, desire) for 4-6 separate stereo headphone mixes. The convoluted routing, and hijacking the digital ins and outs was one thing, but in addition, just the routing alone would eat up all of the +DSP resources (especially at 96k) on the MH units, so even thinking about using character + strip + Haloverb plugins was a wild dream. I eventually went with taking the analog sends from the ULN-8s and sending them to a Behringer X32 rack unit (don't laugh, it's perfectly functional in this role) as a cue mixer, to free up DSP resources on the MH boxes. Would be nice to bring everything back to an integrated Metric Halo environment.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict

Also eagerly awaiting more info....
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Nut

Ha! I had considered using the x32 Rackmount for a similar routing solution on a
A&H GLD setup. The irony. I might still have to... hmmm

The shear genius of the convoluted routing and work-arounds you all (Metric Halo Users) have devised to span the inherent limitations is a constant source of wonder and gratitude. It also speaks to quality of the boxes to inspire such flexibility.

The point though is that having the new MH Mix Matrix will put it all, all boxes, inputs and outputs, formats, under one single lovely 80 Bit hood-with the latest BJ Buchalter engine. Now I'm no betting man, but my 10 or 12 year old MIO 2882 +DSP swiss- army- knife is standing up shouting " Let it Ride !!!! " The ULN8s and ULN2 are spoiled young children who expect such magnificence. Now, let's see it!
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by just.sounds View Post
I suspect it is not an ip protocol and you can't use regular ethernet hardware. Because ethernet is not capable of 1 sample latency. It is probably more close to aes50 or Madi in structure but i'm very curious what BJ has cooked ;-)
I'm no expert, but isn't Ravenna capable of some ridiculously low latency over IP?
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

I have no idea what Ravenna is. I just wanted to say Matyas, that is the coolest avatar on this site.
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Ravenna site :
"The low-latency requirement has already been elucidated in the Live Sound section, but with RAVENNA's capability to configure latency numbers in the sub-milliseconds range, it can perfectly match the needs in the recording environment."

Sub milisecond is low but i think still more than 4 samples. ;-)
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search