The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metric Halo announces new technologies and upgrade path Audio Interfaces
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

I am stunned. I do not know what the upgrade will cost but the fact that they will offer this to 13 year old boxes is amazing.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Was about to buy something else, now just going to wait an extra month for a ULN2. Genius move.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman View Post
Such a great company!
The very best!

- c
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

OH, the irony that this comes just after I started transitioning away from MH b/c of lack of Windows support and ethernet/MADI compatibility...
Old 15th March 2014
cme
Gear Nut

I'm very excited about this. I had asked about possible Linux integration a couple of months ago and got the standard, "we can't talk about any future plans" type response. Glad they finally did it. But like everyone else, "how much and how soon?"
Old 15th March 2014
Personally this has got me more excited than any other news coming out of this year's Messe. Can't wait for more details!
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am stunned. I do not know what the upgrade will cost but the fact that they will offer this to 13 year old boxes is amazing.
Yeah this. Scoreboard Metric Halo!
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Yup my 2882 is the single best investment I've made - I've had it 10 years and upgraded it a couple of times. And now this - I'm stunned, truely. Now Linux - bitwig will be Linux capable as will my 2882 - I wonder if there's a wrapper or someway to make plugins work under Linux as a virtual carrier. No idea but something I'll be investigating.
Does anyone know anything about Linux and plugin compatibility?
Old 15th March 2014
GnS
Gear Maniac

MH is the only company that can create such an intimate relationship between the gear and yourself. The only other company who can do this, is Apple.

The MIO stuff is simply amazing: reliable, ultra-flexible and very good sounding.

My 2882 is a bit noisy at the output, some op-amp upgrade would be great. My ULN2 is doing great. If there will be MADI available, I will do a MH dance and put it on youtube.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

I always wondered about any opamp upgrades or any mods actually to the analog sections. Does anyone know of any and whether they're safe and worthwhile?
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Madi is available!
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Addict

Spectacular. It's like having an audio interface designed by NASA scientists - they just keep squeezing more capability out of the tech. It's beautiful to watch and to benefit from. If you're looking at interfaces and don't go Metric Halo, you might feel very foolish later.

I'm now intrigued as to how the MIO Console might change to accommodate this. On the current DSP we should be able to get roughly 48 stereo (96 mono) tracks each with a Character setting and MIOStrip. Looking forward to advanced side chain communication between stereo tracks.
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Guru

This is really cool. Always been interested in MH stuff but it was mac only. Unfortunately I am so invested in a RME system I doubt I wanna go through the effort or expense of the cross grade.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Looking forward to advanced side chain communication between stereo tracks.[/QUOTE]

I didnt hear that? Wow - can you explain it a bit? I wonder if theyll give the MIO plugins (character, haloerb ect) a gui now..... Or how its all going to work under linux - via WINE?
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Head

This. Is. Amazing!! Was hoping for an upgrade for my 2882 to thunderbolt, bit holy moly that usb connection part sounds amazing!

Interesting is that a lot of interfaces are going back to usb. Is the protocol really improved or did they now find the way how to do it (Almost zero-latency)?
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieftenbelt View Post
This. Is. Amazing!! Was hoping for an upgrade for my 2882 to thunderbolt, bit holy moly that usb connection part sounds amazing!

Interesting is that a lot of interfaces are going back to usb. Is the protocol really improved or did they now find the way how to do it (Almost zero-latency)?
USB3 is a different ballgame. I am assuming MH are using USB3?

Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Nope they did it with usb2 unbelievable huh? They built they're own USB driver though - entirely so that maybe why? The nodes and connections to them are via cat5 though
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
Nope they did it with usb2 unbelievable huh? They built they're own USB driver though - entirely so that maybe why? The nodes and connections to them are via cat5 though
That is cool. You can run those units full duplex on USB?
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesH View Post
OH, the irony that this comes just after I started transitioning away from MH b/c of lack of Windows support and ethernet/MADI compatibility...
What to say! But I'm not complaining!
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma
Quote:
Originally Posted by biomuse
Looking forward to advanced side chain communication between stereo tracks.
I didnt hear that? Wow - can you explain it a bit? I wonder if theyll give the MIO plugins (character, haloerb ect) a gui now..... Or how its all going to work under linux - via WINE?
That wasn't announced in the video, it's a feature that's been chatted about in the MH user group. There's currently a workaround that uses quad buss channels as conduits for inter-track sidechaining, but adding it as a standard capability for stereo tracks means that, if you roll your own graphs, you can easily do a ton of Waves C6 (or, frankly, C-as-high-as-you-want-with-whatever-you-feel-like-adding) style mix tricks without the workaround. That plus the new higher track count and the sound quality of the mixer and plugs makes this a mixing environment to die for.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear
All great news. I was just considering getting a ULN-8 - this only makes my decision easier.
Old 16th March 2014
Quote:
Such a great company!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
The very best!

- c
Indeed!

They really know how to take care of their customers and move forward in business.
Owning their products always felt like the only future-proof investment I've ever made.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr XY View Post
Here are the vids. Only the very start is in german. Interesting watch!! Definitely Windows coming.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=584657858292385

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=584662884958549
Holy crap!!
Old 16th March 2014
Great news indeed. I just jumped on the MH wagon and got a LIO-8 and a ULN-2. Honestly I've never been so blown away by the sheer quality, integration and ease of use with a product line. The **** just works and sounds amazing. It's a bloody crime that this company and its products are so underrated compared to Apogee and Avid. These boxes are absurdly powerful, deep and well-designed.
Old 16th March 2014
I'm still a bit stunned.

Have always been interested in MH stuff but I'm on Windows so I've had to dismiss them in the past. But now that's all changed. Have been considering upgrading my ageing current interface for a good while now. So I will hang on to it until they reveal more details. Hopefully I can finally now become an LIO-8 owner after all in the near future.

Keith.
Old 16th March 2014
Heard from someone at Messe that this upgrade will replace the main board and rear panel of the MH interfaces.. hopefully this will be a field installable!
Exciting stuff from MH
Old 17th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by method1 View Post
Heard from someone at Messe that this upgrade will replace the main board and rear panel of the MH interfaces.. hopefully this will be a field installable!
Exciting stuff from MH
If it's not field installable, they are going to have to hire quite a crew to handle the initial demand.

This is what we've been waiting for for a loooooooong time!
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakanai View Post
The latency is 1 sample per connection, if I understood correctly. That means if you have computer>router>2882 that is 3 samples of latency one way. If you do monitor mixes using their built in dsp it doesn't need to go to the computer. So latency for instrument>interface>ears should be 2 samples at worst. Latency for instrument>interface>computer>interface>ears should be 6 samples + whatever your DAW/plugins add

This is a box that has been a long time coming. Definitely the missing link.

I believe this is 1 sample per DIGITAL connection as in:
Router --> MH Link, MH Link --> USB

The numbers we do not have explicitly are USB In --> DAW or DAW out --> USB. 1 Sample would be historic and AFAIK not possible (would be happy to be wrong about this). 1ms each would be the usual lowest USB numbers I have ever seen. Don't forget A/D and D/A.

So very exciting stuff - love the Ethernet connectivity - love to hear the details on USB in/out latencies. I fear the 1 sample stuff is being taken way out of context.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

I am sure the networking and channeling is all great for some, but for us most home studio users who have only ONE 2882 or LIO or ULN8..... what do we gain from all this?

I see faster audio, a bit more routing flexibility, connection through USB or Ethernet, and - ta da!- Windows drivers..... but thats about it, no?
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
for us most home studio users who have only ONE 2882 or LIO or ULN8..... what do we gain from all this?

I see faster audio, a bit more routing flexibility, connection through USB or Ethernet, and - ta da!- Windows drivers..... but thats about it, no?
That's about it??
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search