The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metric Halo announces new technologies and upgrade path Audio Interfaces
Old 13th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
I don't believe a "philosophical stance" would affect the situation.
It most certainly did. This upgrade took longer than expected due to the fact that it was trickier getting the new architecture to work with legacy boxes than they anticipated. I believe BJ mentioned that either in this thread or in another thread.

Wether or not it was the right call will be interesting. I think the answer will be yes, but that will all depend on how many 2882 users buy into the 3D architecture.

I'm interested to see, and I'm obviously rooting for users to upgrade their boxes.
Old 13th July 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by method1 View Post
Don't worry guys there is some real movement happening now ;-)
could you elaborate on this? serious?
Old 14th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooWahmBah View Post
could you elaborate on this? serious?
Summer NAMM maybe?
Old 14th July 2017
Lives for gear

i think we'll see it very soon!!
Old 14th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
... plus MH's long-time commitment to never leave former customers "stranded"....
That's the philosophical stance. They already admitted that if it weren't for needing to fit this new tech in the older hardware, they'd already have a product to market.
Old 14th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
That's the philosophical stance. They already admitted that if it weren't for needing to fit this new tech in the older hardware, they'd already have a product to market.
You and @Actualsizeaudio are correct. Not sure what I was thinking.
Old 16th July 2017
Given the cost of the 3d upgrade I'm not sure many 2882 users will upgrade. At the same time, you can be sure the new 8channel offerings will basically go supported forever...
Old 31st July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgordito View Post
Given the cost of the 3d upgrade I'm not sure many 2882 users will upgrade. At the same time, you can be sure the new 8channel offerings will basically go supported forever...
Aside from the value of just buying the newer hardware over the first box MH put out 16 years ago, it doesn't make any sense to put that much upgrade money into a box with the 2882 mic pres. Plus, even when Legacy boxes can be pulled into the future, they are compatible for use with new hardware and software but don't gain the whole feature set of a non-Legacy one in the same rig, as in the case of using a Legacy 2882 with 2d upgraded non-Legacy MH hardware. It would be nice to add it to a 3d unit but I can't see spending the money just to have 8 line inputs in an upgraded 2882 as the center of the rig.

If I upgrade to 3d (I have an old 2882+DSP and a 2d ULN2) I'll put the 2882 into some other service and not include it in an upgraded rig. If it was my only MH box I wouldn't upgrade it, sheerly from a cost standpoint.
Old 31st August 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboy View Post
Aside from the value of just buying the newer hardware over the first box MH put out 16 years ago, it doesn't make any sense to put that much upgrade money into a box with the 2882 mic pres. Plus, even when Legacy boxes can be pulled into the future, they are compatible for use with new hardware and software but don't gain the whole feature set of a non-Legacy one in the same rig, as in the case of using a Legacy 2882 with 2d upgraded non-Legacy MH hardware. It would be nice to add it to a 3d unit but I can't see spending the money just to have 8 line inputs in an upgraded 2882 as the center of the rig.

If I upgrade to 3d (I have an old 2882+DSP and a 2d ULN2) I'll put the 2882 into some other service and not include it in an upgraded rig. If it was my only MH box I wouldn't upgrade it, sheerly from a cost standpoint.
What is the cost of the 3D upgrade for a 2882 ?? I bought mine in october 2015.
The upgrade makes sense as I am already using it with external high-end pres..so it is more like a converter to me, a converter with excellent software stability, super low latency (especially as i am monitoring through it, not through the DAW) amazing routing possibilities and great plugs (although I wish I could use those directly in the daw on mixdown)
The ability to be able to add an uln8 and have all inputs/ outputs working together at 24/96 like it was one big interface in the mio console would be a great deal.
The will from a company to keep up to date old boxes, so that they don't become electronic junk after a few years is also very important to me (it's a model every company should aspire to if we want to stop the world turning into a huge disaster) They already have succeded in that sense providing 2d and constant driver updates.
Companies like Avid who make their own products purposely obsolete after a few years, I avoid them at all cost. I bought an original mbox in 2004 (new in the store)..it become unusable only 3 years after...unless I use 3rd party drivers (which I have done thanks to Ploytec usb-audio)
The question is more like ...when ???
I've been thinking of adding a ULN8 to my setup for a while but the idea of using aggregate to use both together (or lose most of the inputs by plugging one into each other via AES) is not pleasing me...
So when is it going to happen??
If not soon enough I will have to go a complete different route (RME UFX+ most likely) and it would be a shame
Old 31st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tammer View Post
What is the cost of the 3D upgrade for a 2882 ?? I bought mine in october 2015.
To me the upgrade makes sense as I am already using it with external high-end pres..so it is more like a converter to me, a converter with excellent software stability, super low latency (especially as i am monitoring through it, not through the DAW) amazing routing possibilities and great plugs (although I wish I could use those directly in the daw on mixdown)
The ability to be able to add an uln8 and have all inputs/ outputs working together at 24/96 like it was one big interface in the mio console would be a great deal to me.
The will from a company to keep up to date old boxes, so that they don't become electronic junk after a few years is also very important to me (it's a model every company should aspire to if we want to stop the world turning into a huge disaster) They already have succeded in that sense providing 2d and constant driver updates.
Companies like Avid who make their own products purposely obsolete after a few years, I avoid them at all cost. I bought an original mbox in 2004 (new in the store)..it become unusable only 3 years after...unless I use 3rd party drivers (which I have done thanks to Ploytec usb-audio)
The question is more like ...when ???
I've been thinking of adding a ULN8 to my setup for a while but the idea of using aggregate to use both together (or lose most of the inputs by plugging one into each other via AES) is not pleasing me...
So when is it going to happen??
If not soon enough I will have to go a complete different route (RME UFX+ most likely) and it would be a shame
AFAIK that would fall in the discounted upgrade grace period so $99...please chime in if that's wrong.
Old 31st August 2017
Lives for gear

I bought a ULN8 a few days ago...
I already own another one and 2 2882s
It should update to 3D for 99$ as far as I know...
Though I hope for news about the 3D release every day, even at current stage it is still the best option for my needs.
It felt a bit like betting on a horse, to buy a new ULN8 right now, but I have high hopes that we are close to a release....B.J. ??
Old 31st August 2017
Gear Addict

Going on three years now I'm calling it. 3D card = Vaporware this company is a mess.
Old 31st August 2017
Lives for gear

^3 years ago my 2882 could have done with a 3D upgrade. Id often run out of processing power running 18 inputs and 8 outputs. Since then the industry has moved on. Elektron's Overbridge has essentially replaced my 2882 for inputs, running my Analog Keys, Rytm and indirectly my Octatrack into Cubase over usb at 24bit with vst plugins fx. Time has passed the 3d card for me. I don't need it anymore.

i did read they are having problems with the old units like mine. But rather than wait till its ready for every box, they should release it for the models it does work with now.
Old 31st August 2017
Lives for gear

This is starting to have a slight Heaven's Gate/Waterworld vibe to it which is concerning...However, using a thunderbolt adapter with the ULN/LIO devices works perfectly - the drivers are rock solid. So in a very significant way these devices are already future proof. I realize the extra "dongle" is an annoyance, just felt it was important to add as a point of information to this thread.
Old 31st August 2017
Lives for gear

I'll happily buy someone's LIO-8 at a "the industry has moved on" price.
Old 1st September 2017
RTG
Gear Maniac

I wonder what Metric Halo could create with a clean slate. What a burden it must be to support so many older products! Having said that, my LIO8 doesn't really leave me wanting much.
Old 24th December 2017
Old 24th December 2017
Lives for gear

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

New 3d Master Board hardware with the following:

USB-C for USB connectivity
▪audio transport is implemented in HW - there is no software involvement
2 MHLink Gigabit Ethernet ports
▪ these work for both audio and data transport
▪ audio transport is implemented in HW - there is no software involvement
Word-clock in and out
EdgeBus card slot (for flexible additional I/O)
New clocking circuit for better clock accuracy and jitter performance
Auto-clock rate detection for external clocks
New digital power supply design for improved clock performance
Support for !all! existing boxes (ULN-8, LIO-8, 2882, ULN-2)

MH Multicore Audio Network On a Chip (ANOC) with
▪ Instantiable +DSP processing core with massive system RAM (1 Gigabyte)
▪ Custom dedicated processing cores per chip *:
128 channel by 64 bus 192k Mixer core with fully interpolated gains
▪ 1024 slot audio router core (@192k)
▪ 1024 channel Peak/VU/RMS meter core
Custom I/O processing cores:
▪ AES I/O core I2S I/O core
▪ SPDIF I/O core ADAT I/O core
▪ TOSLink I/O core SMPTE I/O core
▪ MIDI I/O core MADI I/O core
▪ Custom communication cores:
▪ USB Audio transport core
▪ MHLink Audio transport cores
▪ GigE packet router core

Firmware for the 3d Master Board:
◦ Full support for all of the front panels
◦ Full support for USB MIDI Class
◦ Full support for USB Audio Class 2
◦ Full support for USB Control of connected box
◦ Full support for MHLink Direct Audio + Control
◦ Full support for AES/SPDIF/TOSLINK/ADAT/SMPTE
◦ Full support for all existing analog boards
◦ Full support for all digital I/O boards
◦ Full support for all EdgeBus cards
◦ Full support for all Firmware update (over USB or Ethernet)
◦ All +DSP plugins ported to new platform
• A variety of new EdgeBus card Hardware modules in addition to the one to replace AES/SPDIF on 2882/ULN-2

New MHLink Direct driver:
◦ Allows communication with boxes via Ethernet
◦ Provides one audio device for all boxes connected together via MHLink (up to 128 channels of I/O @ 192k)
• New MIO Console 3d
◦ Revamped UI
◦ 64-bit Portable App
◦ All +DSP plugins ported to 64-bit
◦ Manages MHLink Domains (groups of boxes connected together via MHLink)
▪ one clock domain (all boxes slave from master)
▪ one audio driver (all channels available via one driver)
▪ one consolidated mixer (all inputs and outputs available to the mixer)
▪ all channels time-aligned
▪ no additional cabling requirements between boxes (just an MHLink cable)
Consolidated mixer supports up to 128 inputs and 64 busses
@192k across all the boxes in a domain
◦ Automagically manages routing within the domain (no user-level box-to-box routing required)
◦ Automagically manages resource allocation between boxes in the domain
◦ Automatically manages clocking between boxes in the domain
◦ Simplified routing model relative to 2d (even for one box)

• Lots of usability enhancements in the mixer
The processing going on in the "Custom dedicated processing cores" (marked with a *) above is approximately equivalent to the processing power of 30 2d DSPs. It is dedicated processing, so it can’t be used for plugins, but it is processing that has to be implemented on the DSP in 2d, and it requires no instantiable DSP power in 3d.
The RAM available to the instantiable +DSP core (1 GB) is more than 2500x the RAM available in 2d (384 kB); this means that running out of memory for delays or reverbs simply won’t happen on 3d.
In multibox systems, the instantiable processing is distributed over the processors in all the boxes, so adding more boxes adds more processing.

Now, what's this gonna' set me back??

Old 16th June 2018
Gear Nut

Metric Halo 3D card.

https://mhsecure.com/3dEarlyAccess/

$499 for most units made pre-2014.

$99 for boxes made from March 2014 and on.

One thing a bit hard to understand:

"MH DSP Engine — Enhanced processing power and massive memory in the hardware. All 3d hardware includes the +DSP license providing over a hundred plug-ins and the unique Metric Halo Graph environment."

Do I still have to buy +DSP separately?

If no, then I'm sold.
Old 17th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTech View Post
Metric Halo 3D card.

https://mhsecure.com/3dEarlyAccess/

$499 for most units made pre-2014.

$99 for boxes made from March 2014 and on.

One thing a bit hard to understand:

"MH DSP Engine — Enhanced processing power and massive memory in the hardware. All 3d hardware includes the +DSP license providing over a hundred plug-ins and the unique Metric Halo Graph environment."

Do I still have to buy +DSP separately?

If no, then I'm sold.
No you don't.
Old 17th June 2018
Lives for gear

Already pressed the go button on the 3D card. May be time to get preamps 5-8 as well.
Old 17th June 2018
We currently have 3 threads running about this subject on the Music Computers, so please let's keep it all on a single one:

Metric Halo 3D Is Here

Thanks!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search