The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metric Halo announces new technologies and upgrade path Audio Interfaces
Old 4th May 2016
Gear Head
Yes, While I feel terrible holding up the line (I have a 2882 with the S/N 455), I really don't want my MIO become garbage. At the same time, I'm a little impatient because I recently acquired a second 2882, but was surprised to learn that I can't monitor the other from the first. 3d looks like the real solution.

But I've recently tried a few interfaces, and returned them all. Nothing currently beats the MIO. They just need to update the software to today's standards.
Old 16th May 2016
Lives for gear

So wait any dates yet on upgrade? I just moved to windows and put my uln2 for sale then saw this thread just wondering if i should wait and hold onto my mac till this is sorted
Old 22nd May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri View Post
So wait any dates yet on upgrade? I just moved to windows and put my uln2 for sale then saw this thread just wondering if i should wait and hold onto my mac till this is sorted
Well I am also waiting and waiting for the upgrade, and also thought about a change. But by comparing Metric Halo with other stuff like Apogee, Prism Sound, RME and UAD I found out that my ULN8 + MIO seems to be still ahead of competition concerning stability, usage simplicity and sound quality.

Meanwhile I use my two ULN8 on Windows 7- 64 machine exclusively (for PT and Sampltude) integrated with Marian PCIe AES/ EBU cards. It´s a rock solid combination for Windows 7 Pro with the same near to zero latency and sound quality. ULN8 and Marian D4 Cards works just perfectly together.

I configured 7 MIO- ULN-8 Setups for 99,9 % of my recording situations and only have to push the ULN-8 snapshot button if I want to change some pre configured MIO stuff. Thats by far the best Metric Halo integration you can get with a Windows machine. I am very sure to keep this combination a couple of years even when BJ is ready to rock the long awaited upgrade.
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info, yeah ill happily wait too I love metric halos gear cant see myself swithching.
Old 29th May 2016
Gear Nut

I have a beast of a PC that I built this past year and I'd love to switch over to using it for audio full time. I am using a 2012 Mac Mini for all audio right now so that I can keep using my ULN2. I had one once, sold it. Regretted it and bought one again. Don't want to go down that path again. I'll limp along with the mac mini setup until the 3D card comes!
Old 29th May 2016
Lives for gear

OH WOW!! THEY JUST ANNOUNCED THE RELEASE DATE!.... finally!!!

http://bit.ly/IqT6zt
Old 30th May 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post

^^^^^^That is just utterly cruel clickbait my friend.
Old 30th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Dear Gearslutz,

I have accepted the sins of my past. Implement the middle finger button.

Sincerely,
Humble MH User
Old 30th May 2016
Lives for gear

Metric Halo, I'm never gonna give you up.
Old 30th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:

Hahaha! That is just cruel! Well played.
Old 19th June 2016
Here for the gear
Just noticed that Apogee released a new Symphony MKII. Retail price of one w/ 8 ch Mic pre in Canada is 6K (LOL, yes LOL). The funniest part is that they claim the MKII to be future-proof, but everything made before is now garbage. I didn't dive in the tech specs of this new hardware, but I'm pretty sure that my LIO converters w/ ULN preamps is by a long shot better than this new Apogee stuff.

Don't give up
Old 19th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nott View Post
yeah!!! i think metric halo is the one and only company with a superb future-proof support!!!
RME too!
Old 21st June 2016
Gear Addict

As much as I appreciate the MH Upgrade Path and future proof support: really hoping to get some transparency when to expect it. It´s been two years and some of us made their decisions based on the announcement. I do not mind the increased development time, but I´d really like to know what I am up to, to come to a decision where I am heading with my set up.
Old 21st June 2016
Lives for gear

The 3D card will come. Question is exactly when but it WILL be worthwhile. Investing in another product is not a good option path IMHO. Think of the possibilities when buying additional hardware secondhand afterwards!

I must add though that MH should get their act together. NO news is bad news....
Old 22nd June 2016
Gear Maniac

I can't be the only PC user here that invested in a mio as soon as the 3d card was announced just to have it sitting in a box for god knows how long completely unusable!
Old 22nd June 2016
Lives for gear

I have a ULN2 in auction now I'm seriously considering taking down and mothballing until 3d comes out and my market suddenly quadruples.....
Old 15th August 2016
Gear Maniac

yes It would be great if MH keep the user base in the loops. yes they maybe hiding away from question answers, but they could make a Blog with where no one can post any thing and just update folks every month about the project and where its going. Am now thinking of moving over to antelope system as they keep folks in the loop.
Old 15th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Pepsi cola hell the vid has 232,105,445 views. I didn't know so many folks like MH
Old 26th August 2016
Gear Addict

While I've been waiting I've finally started putting a half open eye out for other options and I have to admit I'm extremely interested in RME's DURec recording directly to storage function. I've never owned an RME product but they might be the only company I would ever shift my interface ball to, as their support rep is in the same high ballpark as MH's, which I'm spoiled by. Question is: where do the mic press of their four pre units that have DURec sit with regard to ULN2s? Different of course, but I'm hearing of a lot of good work being done on stock RMEs and their press. But are they a disappointment in detail after using ULN2s? Can anyone who has used both comment on how they felt about them? I'm interested enough in doing remotes without a computer that I'm considering selling my ULN2 2d expanded and legacy 2882 both to go with an RME, but not if the ULN2 press are that much, well, for lack of a better term "better".

Thanks for any experience on this : )
Old 13th November 2016
Lives for gear

Any update?
Old 29th November 2016
Gear Addict

From the Facebook thread:
Quote:
Martin Macheiner Also, ich hoffe ich darfs verraten: 2882 ja, uln-2 ja, die anderen sowieso - sprich: ALLE jemals von MH gebauten interfaces; dante ja, madi ja, ravenna ja; rechenleistung x32; zu kaufen sobald alle bauteile in ausreichender anzahl geliefert sind. engineering ist fertig! damit sinds auch die ersten überhaupt mit usb-c. verbindung auch über cat zum rechner.

Translated to English
So, I hope i can tell: 2882 yes, Uln-2 YES, the other - say, anyway all of mh ever built interfaces; Dante Yes, Madi yes, Ravenna, yes; computing power to buy x32; once all the components in An adequate number of are delivered. Engineering is ready! So it's also the first ever with USB-C. Connection also about cat to host.
Old 2nd December 2016
Gear Addict

Bugger! News posted but it's in German! What's he saying? Ha! I neeeeed to know!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=busgMGkez7g
Old 2nd December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Zoltan View Post
Bugger! News posted but it's in German! What's he saying? Ha! I neeeeed to know!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=busgMGkez7g
nothing new so far: the upgrade will work on all interfaces, better sound even for the old 2882 due to new clocking, 128 channels over cat5, there will be several new "edge cards" like adat, aes/ebu, madi, etc.
more realtime RAM for DSP, and the DSP isnt SHARK anymore, its now a FPGA.
there is another video in the making, where he and B.J. discuss the software aspekts of the 3D upgrade.
every interface in a chain over MHlink can share dsp power.
Old 2nd December 2016
Gear Addict

Awesome yeah it sounded like said there was a gigabyte for the dsp at some point?
Old 2nd December 2016
Gear Head

he says: 32mb RAM, plus 1GB realtime RAM, plus 4GB BOOTRAM
Old 3rd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Zoltan View Post
He is basically saying "You can't imagine how much I love my Philicorda".
Old 3rd December 2016
Lives for gear

First an overview about the hardware, FPGA dsp 32x times dsp power 32mb+1gb ram 4gb boot ram. New clock new power regulators, extra madi on opti and coax.

USB-C connection
ethernet+clocking 128 channels + clocking. (192Khz)
dsp can be shared via MH link.

Ethernet can be connected to PC.
Old 5th December 2016
Gear Addict
W.H.E.N ?????????
Old 5th December 2016
Lives for gear

If I buy a new one today can I get the upgrade to 3D for 99$ ? It's either a Lio/uln8 or the new symhpony. I had the symphony mk1 for a while. just want to see what MH is all about, how's latency monitoring through the daw ? Mainly for VI etc..
3D Conversion vs symphony ?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search