The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metric Halo announces new technologies and upgrade path Audio Interfaces
Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear

My sources say that it will be sometime after March.

And I've got a feeling it will be worth it.
Old 2nd March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooWahmBah View Post
I could but my hope was to take the ULN2 on the road and leave my mytek and pres at home without losing a certain quality.
Many many records have been made usign 2882 and ULN-2. ULN-2's preamps are of a higher grade than 2882 and the 2D card makes the ULN-2 sound better due to better clocking. You also get more DSP juice, so you can even make a rough mix on the field with a very light computer, all in the uln2 dsp. Many times I've considered going up to the LIO-8+4p which does have better ADCs and preamps but then you need to couple it to a patchbay, etc. It's just not as portable and practical, I find the uln-2 at the end of what I consider portable

Honestly, with a non 2D ULN-2 I would just wait for the 3D upgrade to come and then upgrade that box. MH pres are not super colorful, which is typically a good thing, but there's plenty of offers in lunchbox format for that.

Many people have described the uln-2 as two great preamps combined with a ADC/DAC chain. There's even shoot outs on this forum with other preamps and it holds its own.

I can see having a uln-2 together with a small lunchbox as a killer recording setup. Currently I have a fet compressor after the preamp and before the DAC and that's just a great setup. It's one less conversion path to do or less plugins to worry about. A fet compressor can be tremendously useful to make sure you don't clip while still getting a great SNR into the box right off the bat. oh, and a 1176 sound to go with it.. :-)

Only higher end stuff ADCs have insert before the ADC, I know of no other small portable soundcard that allows you to insert stuff after the preamp and before the ADC. That is often overlooked as a killer feature of the ULN-2. It's when you start observing all the details that MH has implemented on the ULN2 that you realize how much of a swiss army knife it can be.
Old 24th March 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by planck View Post
My sources say that it will be sometime after March.

And I've got a feeling it will be worth it.
...so I guess the projected release date as per your source is between April 2016 to eternity.
Old 24th March 2016
Lives for gear

That is exactly correct. I think it will be released around 2704

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalimo View Post
...so I guess the projected release date as per your source is between April 2016 to eternity.
Old 26th March 2016
Gear Addict

BJ stated that the delay in releasing the 3D card is because they are having issues with the older units from ten years ago. I do not want to sound selfish (owner of two Uln8's) but wouldn't it make sense to release the card for the newer machine while you work on the older ones. This action would definitely benefit the company and keep it relevant in the mind of potential buyers especially when the competition are dropping new techs yearly. Just my 2 cents
Old 26th March 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by planck View Post
That is exactly correct. I think it will be released around 2704

Just a little bit more patience, it will be worth it.
Old 30th March 2016
I was just thinking - this is taking suspiciously long for 'just' a USB upgrade. What if MH was secretly working on a USB + SoundGrid card?
Old 30th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medienhexer View Post
I was just thinking - this is taking suspiciously long for 'just' a USB upgrade. What if MH was secretly working on a USB + SoundGrid card?
Or something even better!
Old 30th March 2016

It's not just a USB upgrade, it's a whole new digital card, clock, software drivers, and physical interface with not only USB, but their proprietary box2box ethernet protocol. It's a massive upgrade. They can take all the time they need. I will wait patiently.
Old 30th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Demulling View Post
It's not just a USB upgrade, it's a whole new digital card, clock, software drivers, and physical interface with not only USB, but their proprietary box2box ethernet protocol. It's a massive upgrade. They can take all the time they need. I will wait patiently.
Indeed. Box healing, where multiple interfaces show up as one big box with busses across all inputs and outputs is a huge development. It becomes like one big scalable digital mixer.

B.J.'s initial announcement, reposted above, has lots of details about this and bears rereading.

It will change my recording life. It's hard to be so patient, but I'm sure it will be worth it.
Old 30th March 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhurwitz View Post
Indeed. Box healing, where multiple interfaces show up as one big box with busses across all inputs and outputs is a huge development. It becomes like one big scalable digital mixer.

B.J.'s initial announcement, reposted above, has lots of details about this and bears rereading.

It will change my recording life. It's hard to be so patient, but I'm sure it will be worth it.
it definitely will.
Old 30th March 2016
Quote:
It will change my recording life if it is stable. I love the sound of my interfaces, and the software feature-wise is lightyears ahead of the other interfaces on board mixing engines in terms of usability. However, firewire is no longer stable for me, and I've had downtime in here with these things. I've come so close to pulling the trigger on ditching them over the past 6 months because of it. I almost can't take it anymore.

This isn't just about being impatient for the newest and greatest toy, it's about keeping our systems current and stable, and for someone like me who has weeks like I'm having now, where I'm putting in a 60 hour work week on a 100 min doc, I can't afford any glitches. I took my system on vacation last week and used a USB interface just for monitoring. When I returned and plugged in my ULNs I had issues with outputs not working, had to have multiple restarts and ditchings of preferences. Waste of valuable time. Using these interfaces in aggregate is NFG, and I'm losing my mind waiting for the ability to use my multiple boxes as one.

I fully understand that they would release it today if they could. They have to be sitting on a huge payday, which has to be really hard for them. Their pain is surely thrice what my pain is right now. I simply had to unload here for a second so people understand where some of us are coming from with our seeming impatience.

And yes, I'm willing to wait if it means stability.
Old 30th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Surely they are going to at least re announce at musikmesse right???

Surely...
Old 30th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Demulling View Post
One can always dream and make suggestions. Not that it will change any business strategies. But to quote the great Adam Savage:'I reject reality and substitute my own' ;-)
Old 30th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actualsizeaudio View Post
It will change my recording life if it is stable. I love the sound of my interfaces, and the software feature-wise is lightyears ahead of the other interfaces on board mixing engines in terms of usability. However, firewire is no longer stable for me, and I've had downtime in here with these things. I've come so close to pulling the trigger on ditching them over the past 6 months because of it. I almost can't take it anymore.

This isn't just about being impatient for the newest and greatest toy, it's about keeping our systems current and stable, and for someone like me who has weeks like I'm having now, where I'm putting in a 60 hour work week on a 100 min doc, I can't afford any glitches. I took my system on vacation last week and used a USB interface just for monitoring. When I returned and plugged in my ULNs I had issues with outputs not working, had to have multiple restarts and ditchings of preferences. Waste of valuable time. Using these interfaces in aggregate is NFG, and I'm losing my mind waiting for the ability to use my multiple boxes as one.

I fully understand that they would release it today if they could. They have to be sitting on a huge payday, which has to be really hard for them. Their pain is surely thrice what my pain is right now. I simply had to unload here for a second so people understand where some of us are coming from with our seeming impatience.

And yes, I'm willing to wait if it means stability.
I'm really sorry to hear you've had trouble. FW has been rock solid for me. I've done 32 tracks with aggregation in Logic and many sessions in ProTools as well with aggregated boxes. Have you submitted support tickets or brought up your issues on the mailing list? I've found that most issues that aren't outright hardware failures or software problems can be dealt with quite easily with those resources. Or PM me, I'm happy to help. MH customer support is some of the best. Call them up or submit a ticket.

The only time I've had trouble with FW is when I've used cables that were on the way out or flat out broken.
Old 30th March 2016
Quote:
I'm really sorry to hear you've had trouble. FW has been rock solid for me. I've done 32 tracks with aggregation in Logic and many sessions in ProTools as well with aggregated boxes. Have you submitted support tickets or brought up your issues on the mailing list? I've found that most issues that aren't outright hardware failures or software problems can be dealt with quite easily with those resources. Or PM me, I'm happy to help. MH customer support is some of the best. Call them up or submit a ticket.

The only time I've had trouble with FW is when I've used cables that were on the way out or flat out broken.
I'e dealt with MH directly on some of the issues I've had that I need their help with, i.e. analog boards going bad, etc. I have no problems with their support, it is exceptional. I just think the issue is that new computers like the trashcan Mac Pro I use with no FW, and using the thunderbolt to FW bridge is not completely stable. I mostly have no issues, but I often times do have issues where I need to trash prefs multiple times, reboot machines multiple times, and reset outputs when I switch from another interface setup back to the ULNs, or if I switch sample rates from 2x to 1x, etc. When I moved to the new Mac the guys at MH labs helped me not have a nervous breakdown (it was close), so I do thank them.

All in all it's fine, but it's not getting better the further we move away from firewire as being a standard protocol. Glad they started this upgrade when they did. I'm still not completely convinced it's going to make it to market it has been so long. I think I'm 75% convinced that it will. If it doesn't I will cry since the ULNs are the only converters I've used in here in the last 10 years that don't give me ear fatigue. Like a big weepy, sobbing cry with snot running down my face kind of thing.
Old 30th March 2016
Quote:
Or PM me, I'm happy to help. MH customer support is some of the best. Call them up or submit a ticket.
Oh, and thanks! That's very nice of you.
Old 31st March 2016
Here for the gear
Class Compliant

Hi someone know if 3D card have Class compliant mode ?
Old 31st March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad2323 View Post
Hi someone know if 3D card have Class compliant mode ?
Yes, that's specifically talked about on the first page and in the video
Old 3rd April 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medienhexer View Post
Yes, that's specifically talked about on the first page and in the video
Still dreaming about what might be possible with some future iOS, an Ipad Pro and an ULN8 on class compliant USB in the future
Old 7th April 2016
Gear Addict

Bj! having me wait this long, this thing better do it all I'm talking peace in the Middle East, make my vocals sound like like franky Sinatra... Plus more.
Old 8th April 2016
Gear Addict

Any news on 3D on Messe ?
Old 8th April 2016
Gear Nut

Don't think so... guess we won't get it 2016...

Anyone has experience with Antelope Windows drivers so far btw?
Old 8th April 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitcheeGoo View Post
Don't think so... guess we won't get it 2016...

Anyone has experience with Antelope Windows drivers so far btw?
Waiting & waiting & waiting here for the 3D release, like you. I think it's coming soon though (I'm a psychic :-) )

Antelope drivers don't seem to be "rock solid" from what I gathered on this forum...
Last week on the orion studio thread :
"Nice plugins Marcel, but we need more urgent working machines, better control panel without bugs and not so urgent new plugins! Right now I have to work but only with headphones is possible to do something. Monitor outputs are broken... "

If I was jumping ship to another system...I would probably choose RME who is another manufacturer that puts reliable products on the market.
I'm staying with MH though, I love the MIO console and that system just works...
Old 11th April 2016
Gear Addict

I´d really appreciate at least a little update. Have a 2882 sitting around and was kind of counting on it to extend with 3D and a 2nd 2882 or Lio this year for analog summing. Might start moving on towards Antelope.
Old 11th April 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tammer View Post
Waiting & waiting & waiting here for the 3D release, like you. I think it's coming soon though (I'm a psychic :-) )

Antelope drivers don't seem to be "rock solid" from what I gathered on this forum...
Last week on the orion studio thread :
"Nice plugins Marcel, but we need more urgent working machines, better control panel without bugs and not so urgent new plugins! Right now I have to work but only with headphones is possible to do something. Monitor outputs are broken... "

If I was jumping ship to another system...I would probably choose RME who is another manufacturer that puts reliable products on the market.
I'm staying with MH though, I love the MIO console and that system just works...

Yeah I heard that kind of thing about Antelope drivers as well. That's the problem. Regarding RME, that's my nemesis. I know they do technically perfect things in terms of drivers and stuff. I just don't like their Pres, their convertion and Total Mix....

Why in the world MH having so much troubles bringing this thing?
Old 11th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Alot of people are discussing the switch to rme or antelope on here but it doesn't appear to bother bj right now.

Staying this quiet whilst 2 competitors release new products can mean either they are in trouble (which I very much doubt) or they are quietly confident that when they release the 3d they will blow the competitors out the water!

Let's hope so!
Old 11th April 2016
Lives for gear

I was pretty sure there would be an announcement at the Musikmesse...
No word at all...
hmm...makes me wonder....
Old 11th April 2016
Gear Addict

To be fare Bj did give an update 2 months ago stating that the delays in the 3D card was due to issues in upgrading the old units from 5/10 years ago. My uln8 works perfectly, I would like to use my second unit without loosing inputs and purchasing additional cables and the aggravate system that they currently use sucks. In closing metric halo stuff are still awesome, I still feel slighted by them for leading me to buy a second unit when they spoke like the upgrade was around the corner.
Old 3rd May 2016
Gear Addict
hmmmmm. I have a legacy ULN-2 so compatibility with the older units is a concern for me .....sorry to be holding up you modern guys .
Maybe they should just offer a trade in
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search