The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metric Halo announces new technologies and upgrade path Audio Interfaces
Old 14th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actualsizeaudio View Post
In my opinion this is an absurd attitude to take. I bought my units early at a much higher cost than they go for now, but I've been using them daily for years. I would never expect to pay the same upgrade price, or even same price per unit as some customer who is just getting into the game now. You HAVE to let people know who might jump in now that they will be taken care of or else no one will buy a new unit, which means MH doesn't make any money, which means they would never be able to develop and support the new upgrade in the first place. The price of things hopefully comes down as technology moves forward, especially computer based things. If you can't accept that then I recommend sticking to buying only analog gear.

B.J.:0 godspeed on this upgrade. Thunderbolt sucks. The sooner we can get these things off that bus of our mac pros and onto the USB bus the sooner we can start living a happier life in here (hopefully).
I disagree. its equally as important to keep your existing customer base happy.
Mind you, BJ mentioned MH will make a deal on a case to case basis depending on how much one spent with buying their gear and software. And that's a good thing.

I DO agree that - like FireWire- Thunderbolt is the pits. USB has proven itself and is now protocol wise even better than FireWire and not master-slave based anymore. But I would think everything should go towards Ethernet and glassfibre technology: way more flexible.
Old 24th July 2015
Gear Addict
signed on for updates
Old 2nd August 2015
Gear Addict

Its gotten quite about this. Anybody knows why ? Still hoping to upgrade my 2882 soon
Old 3rd August 2015
Lives for gear

Hurry up already MH. I was looking at UAD Apollo webpages yesterday :/
Old 5th September 2015
Gear Maniac

This is the only thing keeping me on osx and my macbook just died, holding out for the usb update that works on windows.
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear

This is taking forever
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear

ULN-8 was a rumor for 3 or more years
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear

...and was worth the wait....
I guess B.J. is regretting the tease they gave us on Musikmesse 2014....
I would love to buy another ULN8 on the sale they have right now...but it's hard to sell a bet that D3 will be out soon to your boss or clients or projects that are coming up...
That is a bit strange...I guess they would sell much more if they would be confirming a release date....or giving more insight....but he has burnt his fingers already....
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhard View Post
...and was worth the wait....
I guess B.J. is regretting the tease they gave us on Musikmesse 2014....
I would love to buy another ULN8 on the sale they have right now...but it's hard to sell a bet that D3 will be out soon to your boss or clients or projects that are coming up...
That is a bit strange...I guess they would sell much more if they would be confirming a release date....or giving more insight....but he has burnt his fingers already....
Quite right. Lesson learned for MH I suppose. It usually backfires with too early teasers. Think of Slate Digital and more recently with Behringer with their X-touch range and Mötor controllers....
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear

Don't forget about soundtoys...

Also, have you all noticed how MH plug-ins have been perpetually on sale for a year or so?
Old 5th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote from another thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedancer View Post
I emailed Metric directly and they got back to me but the response didn't sound too "any day now".
From the email,
"We are working on a hardware upgrade that will incorporate USB connectivity, and we are looking into supporting Windows as well. We do not have a timeline for when this would be available, however."
:(
Wasn't this scheduled for this quarter? It is extremely frustrating for me as a windows user.

I don't care if it takes a year as long as I know, il just buy an rme for the meantime! It's the not knowing that's the worst thing, some insight would be helpful :/
Old 25th September 2015
Gear Head

I just saw an announcement that MH is going to be at IMSTA in NYC, Sept 26, 2015.

Do you think they might use this opportunity to roll out the 3D card???
Old 25th September 2015
Lives for gear

...not very high hopes here.....
Old 25th September 2015
Gear Maniac

I very much doubt it also. They must be prepared for everyone there to ask them about it so at least we must get some sort of update.

Who is close enough to get there and report back?
Old 25th September 2015
Gear Maniac

I very much doubt it also. They must be prepared for everyone there to ask them about it so at least we must get some sort of update.

Who is close enough to get there and report back?
Old 5th October 2015
Gear Addict

I know.. patience is key in every aspect of life, still my 2882 is hoping so much for the 3D card soon
Old 5th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomteontour View Post
I know.. patience is key in every aspect of life, still my 2882 is hoping so much for the 3D card soon
I can tell you from personal experience, you are not alone! I can't wait for box healing.

But, I'd rather they take their time and get it right than release something half-baked. It's not like my MH boxes are unusable as they are.
Old 5th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhurwitz View Post
. It's not like my MH boxes are unusable as they are.
I have a pc, bought a 2882 hoping for upgrade ages ago so it is for me! :(
Old 5th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezed16 View Post
I have a pc, bought a 2882 hoping for upgrade ages ago so it is for me! :(
That's frustrating. However, the 2882 will operate with a wide variety of Macs, so maybe picking up a Core 2 Duo Mac Mini might be a good option for while you wait.

This one is pretty inexpensive, at the moment (although soon to be gone).

Metric Halo announces new technologies and upgrade pathWorks Perfect Apple Mac Mini Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz 2 GB RAM | eBay

I know it's not what you've wanted to do, but it will at least make the box useable.
Old 5th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhurwitz View Post
That's frustrating. However, the 2882 will operate with a wide variety of Macs, so maybe picking up a Core 2 Duo Mac Mini might be a good option for while you wait.

This one is pretty inexpensive, at the moment (although soon to be gone).

Metric Halo announces new technologies and upgrade pathWorks Perfect Apple Mac Mini Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz 2 GB RAM | eBay

I know it's not what you've wanted to do, but it will at least make the box useable.
Wow, that is cheap! If I found something going for that price locally I'd snap it up. Only thing is most macs are more expensive and I know as soon as I buy one they will announce the upgrade.

That's why I just wish they would give us some info. I don't care if it takes two years as long as I know so I can work around it. :/

Thanks for your help though man!
Old 5th October 2015
Lives for gear

I'm eagerly waiting for the 3D card too. However, I'm aware that MH are not the sort of company that will rush out updates that have not been thoroughly beta tested. Apparently the ULN-8 works fine with El Capitan (not that I have any intention to update anytime soon). When OS 12 will be out the Mac firewire driver will be pretty much obsolete and the 3D card will start to become urgent, otherwise lots of users will be left in the sh*t.
I'm confident that the 3D card will be out by then.
Old 9th October 2015
Gear Addict

This waiting game is rediculous I have two uln8 that I'm waiting to use together without all the aes cable patching. I am disappointed right now, not for the delays but for the lack of communication.
Old 9th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Exactly... its the lack of communication that's driving me nuts too.

I would like to see another tech talk video released to hear something about the upgrade. Considering I quote "we have this all running on usb 2 now!" Was over a year ago.... something big must have changed right?
Old 23rd October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezed16 View Post
something big must have changed right?
Oh yes - it'll be worth the wait...

John

(Under NDA)
Old 23rd October 2015
Gear Head

That's not fair
Old 23rd October 2015
Gear Maniac

I just built a hackintosh and put in a firewire pci card. I don't even boot into windows anymore so not really worried about usb/windows anymore.
Old 23rd October 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsound View Post
Oh yes - it'll be worth the wait...

John

(Under NDA)
Good to hear!

I've been assuming that the delay was due to a more extensive revamp of the MIO console in conjunction with the increased DSP horsepower in the 3d card. Looking forward to what they come up with.
Old 25th October 2015
Lives for gear

Holding off buying a new Windows compatible interface to see what happens with this. Some communication.....PLEASE!!!!
Old 26th October 2015
Lives for gear

Posting here and hoping they'll answer is just...hoping. Why doesn't someone just call them and ask nicely that they let everyone know something, either here or one of the major info channels.
Old 26th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
Posting here and hoping they'll answer is just...hoping. Why doesn't someone just call them and ask nicely that they let everyone know something, either here or one of the major info channels.
True, but I don't think we'll get much more. I called them about another issue a month ago and they said things were moving well along but wouldn't give me any details. It would be nice to have them make statements as to how things are going, but my guess is that they don't want to get burned by making promises based on circumstances that change. It's possible they regret letting the cat out of the bag when they did and then had to deal with not being able to keep up with the timelines that they created.

I do think they would have told me if they felt that they had created expectations for something that was never going to happen, so my impression then was that it was reasonably soon or maybe a little after that. We'll see. I could only infer from tone of voice. But they did help to resolve my issue quickly and easily!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search