The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ahoy! I just bought 2 mac minis, now using VEP Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 21st December 2014
Gear Maniac

Would two of the new iMacs work in a network setup, and would you be able to use both display together as one or would it be one different displays for each computer?
Old 29th December 2014
today i bought VEP, just waiting for my USB dongle to use it

so I'm trying to get the screen sharing working between my 2012 macbook pro running 10.9 and a 2008 white macbook running 10.6.8. i can get the screen to display, but i cannot control anything. i have the toolbar open on the screen sharing window, but i cant click the 'control' icon to, i assume, allow for remote controlling.

EDIT: just figured it out.
Old 12th January 2015
Gear Addict

Getting closer to getting my setup going here. I've networked my mini and iMac with just a CAT6 cable. There are some settings/prefs that need to change in order to be able to see them both.

I'm currently getting all my VI's installed on the mini (close to being done). I bought a second iLok and will move those licenses to it. Most of my sample libraries are installed on an external FW drive, so I'll probably continue to use that for now, until I can upgrade with an SSD. Migrating all of my VI's is a little bit of a pain (yeah, I own too many)...having to download installers again, find old emails on ones with license codes, etc, but it's not that bad. So far so good though, with a couple of minor snags. The one I may not move is the Air IEP...that was a pain to install on the first machine

Thanks again, guys. I'll add more when I get some sessions up and running!
Old 31st January 2015
I've got my rig all set up and working fine except performance isn't what i was expecting. I'm running a 2012 mbp as a slave to a 2012 imac. I'm still getting cracks and pops when playing three, sometimes two instruments simultaneously. Ableton loads at 14% CPU usage but I have a template with all my mixing plugins as the default. I'm using 96000/128 and I have my vep servers set to 8 cores. I know some had said to allocate 2 to each instance, but I found that performance improved when I did this. What's going on here?
Old 12th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guy View Post
I've got my rig all set up and working fine except performance isn't what i was expecting. I'm running a 2012 mbp as a slave to a 2012 imac. I'm still getting cracks and pops when playing three, sometimes two instruments simultaneously. Ableton loads at 14% CPU usage but I have a template with all my mixing plugins as the default. I'm using 96000/128 and I have my vep servers set to 8 cores. I know some had said to allocate 2 to each instance, but I found that performance improved when I did this. What's going on here?
Sorry for taking so long, didn't see your comment...

You're getting pops and clicks at 14%?

That would be an audio interface issue...

Ableton CPU usage should be completely independent from the VEP usage on your slave machine.

You should be able to run as many instances as your slave can handle without seeing any performance hit in Ableton.

This sounds like an audio interface problem or possibly one of your mixing plugins causing trouble?
Old 12th February 2015
Lives for gear

The one area where my MMS has not done well is recording at 96kHz. I need to try it again, but the one session I did really taxed the machine. I have no problems at 48, so I didn't work on getting it sorted out.

I don't know if that's behind the problem with the slave MMS, but it's a consideration.

I'd love to hear from any users with these machines who work successfully at 96.
Old 13th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugo View Post
Sorry for taking so long, didn't see your comment...

You're getting pops and clicks at 14%?

That would be an audio interface issue...

Ableton CPU usage should be completely independent from the VEP usage on your slave machine.

You should be able to run as many instances as your slave can handle without seeing any performance hit in Ableton.

This sounds like an audio interface problem or possibly one of your mixing plugins causing trouble?
thanks. after a little looking, i got it all sorted out. my problem was that the VEP server buffers were set too low. i was just playing with a **** ton of diva and bazille instances with no hiccups!
Old 12th May 2015
Here for the gear

first let me say awesome thread with so much great info!! Just had a couple questions hopefully someone can help me with...

I have an older '09 mbp (dual core 2.26ghz 8gb ram 256ssd) and an even older 07 iMac (2.4ghz dual core 2gb ram)

I have been considering either adding a mac mini or possibly an 09 mac pro (4,1) and using VEPro 5 to network.

I want to be able to really go crazy on VI instances (omni/trillian, komplete, etc) with little worry. Is it worth the time/money to network 2 older macs (the 09 mbp and 07 iMac) with the '12 quad core mini? I also I have been looking at a used 8 core 2.93ghz MP from '09 (comparable in price to a '12 mac mini) would this be a better option? I'd like to try and extend the life on these older macs I currently have but perhaps I should just keep my mbp and try to find 2 quad core mac minis from '12.

Also, I am still using my apogee duet 2 (USB) will this eventually be a weak point in my quest for processing power?

I record a lot of wet guitar into logic while using guitar rig, etc and curious how the workflow with VEpro 5 recording audio between slave/master setups and what is most efficient routing?

One last question, in regard to page 1 you mentioned not all of your combined 768 SSD GB space will be usable. Trying to understand why? I assume logic projects get saved to the master, as well as when bouncing it uses the master hdd? What about when using external drives to write/record audio, would this be carried out on the slave? I have all my VIs and their corresponding audio samples on a separate external HDD, would I need to clone the external drives or does only 1 slave need the file path? Sometimes its confusing trying to direct all these VI (kontakt, maschine, omni, etc ) to the right file path when having the samples on multiple drives and I feel having 3 macs networked would be a nightmare.

Sorry if I'm over thinking this. Many many many thanks for any help/advice!!!!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search