The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ahoy! I just bought 2 mac minis, now using VEP Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 13th December 2014
Gear Addict

Ordered my mini today! Picked up a 2012 i7 on ebay. Hope to get it all going within the next couple of weeks.

So glad I came across this thread. Been debating on upgrading options for quite a while.

Cheers, guys!
Old 13th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
You need to use screen sharing so you can pull up the Slave's desktop on your Master's screen, keyboard and mouse. The soft synths reside on the slave. Or you can have two sets of screens, keyboard and mice but no one does that.
firstly, thanks to all the contributors to this thread. ive been following it since it was first posted and now ive finally started getting everything together; my rig should be complete just after the new year. my goal is to run a PC setup into a MBP as the host. this being the case, can anyone recommend some screen sharing software to suit this, either paid or free? id be fine using a second (well, third actually) monitor, but id like to use only one keyboard and mouse.
Old 13th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guy View Post
my goal is to run a PC setup into a MBP as the host. this being the case, can anyone recommend some screen sharing software to suit this, either paid or free?
Both Apple and Microsoft make Remote Desktop software. I've not mixed Macs and PCs but it should work.

https://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

Remote Desktop app for Windows in the Windows Store
Old 14th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Both Apple and Microsoft make Remote Desktop software. I've not mixed Macs and PCs but it should work.

https://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

Remote Desktop app for Windows in the Windows Store
I use MSFT Remote Desktop on my Mac to control my VEP PC slave. Works like a charm. If you go this route, try the RDC/VEP connection before you jump through any hoops trying to get Mac/PC networking to function properly - *that* is a pain in the ass, but VEP works in spite of it all. Nice piece of software.
Old 18th December 2014
Gear Addict

So I got my mini and I'm working on setting it up. Couple of questions for you guys.

1. Do I only need the ethernet cable to connect to my iMac? That sends audio/video, etc? I'm going to try TeamViewer to remote to it before I dump $80 into ARD.
2. I have been running my samples from external drives. If I load VE Pro on the mini, is this still a good way to go? I've got about 2 Tb of samples, including the EW stuff - should I invest in a large SSD and move some to the mini, or continue running from the external drives through firewire?

Thanks again for this thread
Old 18th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkervin View Post
So I got my mini and I'm working on setting it up. Couple of questions for you guys.

1. Do I only need the ethernet cable to connect to my iMac? That sends audio/video, etc? I'm going to try TeamViewer to remote to it before I dump $80 into ARD.
2. I have been running my samples from external drives. If I load VE Pro on the mini, is this still a good way to go? I've got about 2 Tb of samples, including the EW stuff - should I invest in a large SSD and move some to the mini, or continue running from the external drives through firewire?

I believe you'll need a gigabit switch between the two machines, unless Macs now accept direct Ethernet connection. Don't forget to install the correct VE server packs.

If the idea is to move the load from your main machine to the slave (which is the Mini) then you'll want to move all the samples to something that runs off the Mini - if you have the bucks, throw a couple of big SSD's in the Mini or externally via FW or Thunderbolt; if not, then run your existing drives via Firewire off the mini.

Please note that the Mini will be a slave - any plugs you want to run in VEP will need to be installed on that machine.

Although the VEP instructions will seem completely confusing at first, if you follow them, it will become clear eventually, and then you're good to go. It's a different way of operating and thinking - just be glad you don't have to deal with networking a Mac and a PC, like I did... ...although VEP makes that pretty easy, which I didn't realize at first.

Give yourself some time to figure it out; you'll be very happy once you're up and running.
Old 18th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

2. You need a simple gigabit ethernet switch like this one or any other

Amazon.com: TP-LINK TL-SG1005D 10/100/1000Mbps 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch, 10Gbps Capacity: Electronics

You connect the ethernet cable of both computers to this, and they will be ready.

2. I use an external HD for my kontakt libraries on my slave without any trouble. At first I was trying to use the hard drive for both computers, but it was pretty slow, so I duplicated my hard drive so that each machine had their own. I still run plugins on my master machine, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered and would have just connected my hard drive to the slave and left it at that.

Let me know if you have any other troubles with the set up. Here's the basic how to in case you haven't watched the youtube tutorial

1. Install VEP5 to your master and slave machines
2. Make sure the machines are connected via the gigabit ethernet switch
3. On your slave machine, open the VEP5 server application (VEP Server if you want 32 bit, VEP Server 64 if you want 64 bit, or both if you want an instance of 32 and 64 bit.)
4. Open your daw on your Master computer
5. Add an instrument track, and select Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 plugin
6. Connect to the VEP5 server instance using "Connect" and selecting one of the available instances (this will open VEP5 on your slave machine)
7. Add instruments to your VEP5 server application and you are all set up, just be sure to select the right output if you're using multi-outputs, and be sure to select the correct midi channel if you're doing multiple midi lanes from your master

If you have any troubles, let me know where you're getting stuck and I'll try to walk you through it. The youtube set up videos are pretty helpful, too
Old 19th December 2014
Gear Addict

Thanks a million guys! You rock! I'll post again when I have an update. Thanks!!!!!
Jon
Old 19th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myles View Post
I believe you'll need a gigabit switch between the two machines, unless Macs now accept direct Ethernet connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugo View Post
2. You need a simple gigabit ethernet switch like this one or any other
I just connected my two Macs together directly with a CAT 5 cable. What is the switch for?
Old 19th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just connected my two Macs together directly with a CAT 5 cable. What is the switch for?
...that works? I mean, I guess that should work...

VEP manual says to use a gigabit ethernet switch, maybe it works for 2 computers but you need the switch for 3+? I use my laptop + 2 mac minis, so I never tried it.
Old 19th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugo View Post
...that works? I mean, I guess that should work...
Works great for 2 Macs. Are you guys trying to do link aggregation and bond multiple ports for > 1 Gb/s data transfer or something?
Old 19th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Works great for 2 Macs. Are you guys trying to do link aggregation and bond multiple ports for > 1 Gb/s data transfer or something?
Nah nothing that complex, I think the switch is just so you can use more than 2 machines, since most computers only have 1 ethernet port.
Old 19th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, apparently, it's to increase revenues for switch manufacturers.

In fact, if you look on Netgear's annual report, it's a revenue line item: "Stuff people think they need, but really don't ha ha ha!"

But, yeah, if you have an existing network, or more than two machines, you'll need a switch.
Old 20th December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well, apparently, it's to increase revenues for switch manufacturers.

In fact, if you look on Netgear's annual report, it's a revenue line item: "Stuff people think they need, but really don't ha ha ha!"

But, yeah, if you have an existing network, or more than two machines, you'll need a switch.
Switches are cheap now, and easier than dealing with the possible complications of not using a "special ethernet crossover cable" when connecting only two computers. See some of the issues discussed here:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...2235614AAD8LhW
Old 20th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by czoli View Post
Switches are cheap now, and easier than dealing with the possible complications of not using a "special ethernet crossover cable" when connecting only two computers. See some of the issues discussed here:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...2235614AAD8LhW
Macs haven't required crossover cables (between other Macs) since the early 2000's... Auto-MDIX is your friend.
Old 20th December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Macs haven't required crossover cables (between other Macs) since the early 2000's... Auto-MDIX is your friend.
The link says: "Most network cards have autonegotiation built in". You're correct Auto-MDIX has made the world a better place I had to build my own crossover cables in the late 90s hooking up HP Unix to a Mac. So it's hardware dependent. But if you are working with a dinosaur and VEP you probably have to get a mental checkup anyways Safer to have the fast Gig connection here between the two via cables or switch.
Old 20th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by czoli View Post
The link says: "Most network cards have autonegotiation built in". You're correct Auto-MDIX has made the world a better place I had to build my own crossover cables in the late 90s hooking up HP Unix to a Mac. So it's hardware dependent. But if you are working with a dinosaur and VEP you probably have to get a mental checkup anyways Safer to have the fast Gig connection here between the two via cables or switch.
Yep, I'd rather spend $20 on a switch than d*%k around with making ethernet cables... one situation where I trust surface mount technology far more than my own, um, artisanal production...
Old 20th December 2014
Gear Addict

So I've tried connecting the mini to my iMac using an ethernet cable. Do I need to configure this in Network settings? If I click on Ethernet I get a message saying either no cable is plugged in, or the device at the other end is not responding. Is just an ethernet cable adequate? I'm trying to use Team Viewer also, but don't see anything obvious there.

Cheers, guys
Old 20th December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
So I've tried connecting the mini to my iMac using an ethernet cable. Do I need to configure this in Network settings? If I click on Ethernet I get a message saying either no cable is plugged in, or the device at the other end is not responding. Is just an ethernet cable adequate? I'm trying to use Team Viewer also, but don't see anything obvious there.

Cheers, guys
I literally haven't done this in over a decade btw, though I still have the homemade crossover cable buried away in a box somewhere Look at my posted link above for advice. According to the link:

The computers both have to have the same network address. You can use:
192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.11
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: Can leave blank or just use 192.168.1.1
Old 20th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Cheers, guys
This Google thing is pretty cool...

https://it.uoregon.edu/connect-macs
Old 20th December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
This Google thing is pretty cool...

https://it.uoregon.edu/connect-macs
Yeah I've been searching google and youtube but haven't come up with anything that worked yet. Thanks.
Old 20th December 2014
Gear Addict

I guess I should mention here that my mini didn't come with a keyboard or mouse - so do I need that to go into my preferences and allow sharing before I can do all this? Sorry for the dumb questions - networking is somewhat of a weak point for me.\
Old 21st December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
So I've tried connecting the mini to my iMac using an ethernet cable. Do I need to configure this in Network settings?
Yes. You need to set it up so they're both on the network and see each other. Set up static IP addresses manually and see if it helps.
Old 21st December 2014
Gear Addict

B&H now have a few of the 2012 i7 quad servers back in stock & on sale at $849 (the 2.3 GHz model):

Apple Mac mini Desktop Computer with OS X Server MD389LL/A B&H

Thought it could be useful/relevant to anyone reading this thread.
Old 21st December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes. You need to set it up so they're both on the network and see each other. Set up static IP addresses manually and see if it helps.
Fixed IP is a must.

As is a keyboard and a mouse.
Old 21st December 2014
Lives for gear
Is VEP just a OSX way to have a cheap amount of power as opposed to an expensive New Mac Pro when doing orchestral music?

I run an overlocked Scan Hex core (4930k 64GB ram) using Cubase Pro 8 and I can get an insane amount of instruments up and running at very low latency all sequenced directly inside Cubase Pro 8 - I can't see why one would need VEP and another (4930k) unless trying to recreate a full 80 piece orchestra at 96KHz with massive sample libraries.

So VEP is a film composers solution?
Old 21st December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Is VEP just a OSX way to have a cheap amount of power as opposed to an expensive New Mac Pro when doing orchestral music?

I run an overlocked Scan Hex core...
Yes! Damn, man, you saw right through it. It's just another way my sorry Mac ass tries to make up for not having a PC...

But, wait... I do have a PC. For a slave.

Quote:
So VEP is a film composers solution?
Nope. Just another way to do things. It's an elegant way to use VSL stuff. It's handy if you want to use a plug that's VST or AU only and you work in Pro Tools. And it's a way to avoid having to build something with an overclocked Scan Hex blah blah. Although the way Apple is going, I'll probably be building a Hackintosh for my next machine.
Old 21st December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yes! Damn, man, you saw right through it. It's just another way my sorry Mac ass tries to make up for not having a PC...

But, wait... I do have a PC. For a slave.

Nope. Just another way to do things. It's an elegant way to use VSL stuff. It's handy if you want to use a plug that's VST or AU only and you work in Pro Tools. And it's a way to avoid having to build something with an overclocked Scan Hex blah blah. Although the way Apple is going, I'll probably be building a Hackintosh for my next machine.
Ask an honest question .... get a sarcastic answer ... yep your on Gearslutz!

Although your second paragraph seems a little more friendly :-)

Right so the VSL stuff works better with VEP, ok that makes sense not that I can afford their orchestral samples!

Yes, I have heard Pro Tools benefits from VEP. although I thought that was less so with PT11?

By the way I didn't build my own PC (I would have a clue!) I bought it from Scan in the UK, it does seem very powerful.

I also run Logic X on a iMac for transferring client material to Cubase Pro 8 - so I don't hate OSX or anything like that.

I have a spare PC with two UAD-1 and a Powercore PCI-e card in it and someone suggested I use VEP to keep them going as 32 bit processors inside
Cubase Pro 8 64bit - is this as easy as it sounds? I also have a few 32bit VI's I still like, the thing is my Slave would only be a Q9550 Core2 Quad not even an i7
I'm not sure it would work with VEP?

Thanks
Old 21st December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ask an honest question .... get a sarcastic answer ... yep your on Gearslutz!

Although your second paragraph seems a little more friendly :-)

Right so the VSL stuff works better with VEP, ok that makes sense not that I can afford their orchestral samples!

Yes, I have heard Pro Tools benefits from VEP. although I thought that was less so with PT11?

By the way I didn't build my own PC (I would have a clue!) I bought it from Scan in the UK, it does seem very powerful.

I also run Logic X on a iMac for transferring client material to Cubase Pro 8 - so I don't hate OSX or anything like that.

I have a spare PC with two UAD-1 and a Powercore PCI-e card in it and someone suggested I use VEP to keep them going as 32 bit processors inside
Cubase Pro 8 64bit - is this as easy as it sounds? I also have a few 32bit VI's I still like, the thing is my Slave would only be a Q9550 Core2 Quad not even an i7
I'm not sure it would work with VEP?

Thanks
Sorry, it sounded like we were off on some sort of PC vs Mac thing...

Anyway, you hit on another way VEP can be effective - if you like the VI's and don't want to (or can't) move them to 64, it'll do it for you. You can run 64bit and 32bit servers simultaneously. I think Core2 is the minimum, so you might be OK.
Old 21st December 2014
Lives for gear

The hightenor . . . Yes, using two last generation Mini's networked together via VEP5 is one of the better options open to those who prefer buying Apple only products. It's a shame Apple killed the golden goose for music guys with their large performance step backwards with the new generation of Mini (there is a separate thread on that subject if you want to learn more), but with a little effort you can find the last generation for an Apple DAW rig. The VEP networking software just allows multiple computers to be hooked together so you can divide the load and have redundancy (just as old school computer farming has). Given some virtual instruments are such resource hogs that a few instances can bring even a recent computer to it's knees if you don't use smart workflow practices, VEP is not just for a composer's benefit. Depending on what you are running on even a single computer, VEP has shown to improve performance.

While it looks like you had no intention of thread crapping (PC vs. Hackintosh vs. Mac), this specific thread outlines a current great Apple only product DAW solution.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search