The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ahoy! I just bought 2 mac minis, now using VEP Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 11th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleNorth View Post
Hey Naugo,
Thanks for the rundown -- I'm currently building a similar rig.

But another question: what is your X8 on? Just a stand? I like how that looks sitting right under that long table. Looks great for composing
It's sitting on a slide out drawer I bult to recess (so I could slide my knees in) and draw out (to play). You can see it better in this pic while I was still working on the room

I measured my neighbors piano keys height to put it at standard piano height, it kinda makes the desk a little high - more like a table like you said - but it's really only 5" higher so it's not too bad.
Old 11th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by x99 View Post
I'm trying to get my head around how plugins on the network are used other than automation. Lets see if I have this right...

One mini can be the main daw system, a second can be the 'slave'. Using remote desktop, the keyboard and mouse connected to the main system can be used to control the slave system. Is this correct? So if a synth is loaded to the slave mini, it would need to be edited using via remote desktop, unless you decided to have a second screen/ mouse/ keyboard set up in place.

Naugo, I saw you've updated from the projector (posted elsewhere on GS) but noted there is now MBP plus 2 screeen displays. I'm not sure if they're being accessed via remote desktop? I'd like to better understand that.

(Might be useful to include the updated pic in this thread to aid discussion, but I'm not sure which thread i saw it in)
Synergy

Synergy - Mouse and keyboard sharing software

Is what I use to make the keyboard and mouse act as one across all computers. It works like a charm, there is no delay between switching screens, it behaves exactly as if they were connected to one computer, except when you type - it only types on whatever computer your cursor is on. Also really cool is your clipboard is shared, so you can copy from one machine and paste onto another.
Old 11th July 2014
Gear Head

Nice! I would happily take any blueprints you have for that build
Old 11th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice! I would happily take any blueprints you have for that build
For the desk?
Old 12th July 2014
Gear Head

Yep!
Old 13th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep!
I'll try and find the plans I had this weekend and get you the list of hardware you'd need. I think the total cost of the desk build was < $150 which is pretty good considering the quality and size. One thing I would do different next time is build a 10 degree angled top as opposed to a flat top, better for acoustics.
Old 13th July 2014
May I ask why you got rid of the projector deal.and what are you using instead?
I can'y seem to find the other thread another poster was talking about
Old 14th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post
May I ask why you got rid of the projector deal.and what are you using instead?
I can'y seem to find the other thread another poster was talking about
I got tired of switching screens between the two mac minis and the projector ran pretty hot which I didn't care for. It's still a great projector but better suited for theater / gaming. I'm now using just a couple of $130 1080p 22" IPS monitors. Nothing special but they get the job done easily and don't make a big impact acoustically.
Old 16th July 2014
I guess 22" is not a lot different to 24",and as you say"don't make a big impact acoustically"I was just intrigued[like I'm sure others were too] as I v'e never seen a projector used for daw use,pity about the negatives,though the twin mini's+ MBP,and VEP has made for a great read.
Old 16th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep!
Hey I don't have any digital blueprints or anything leftover from the desk but I can tell you it was really straightforward and simple, everything from home depot, I've never built a desk before so if you have the tools you can do it for sure, here's the tools and parts you need -

Tools

Mitre Saw & Table Saw (you could get the cuts done at home depot but if they're a little off you'll need a way to fix the legs to exact length yourself...you could also use those table balancing feet that go on each leg and allow you to level the table even if the legs aren't the same length, anyway I digress the point is you need to cut some wood)

Power Drill and drill bit barely smaller than the size of a 2" wood screw

Phillips Screwdriver

Nail gun / molding nails

Hardware

Box of 2" Wood Screws

Small box of 1" Wood Screws

(14) L-Hinge Screw Plates for stabalizing bars

(1) Set of Heavy Duty 18" Drawer Slides

Two quarts of wood stain and two quarts of finish

Lumber

Desk Top - (1) 1" x 2' x 8' Select Pine Board (These are ~$40 at HD)

Keyboard Tray - (1) 1" x 18" x 8' select Pine Board

Desk Legs - you'll need (2) 6" x 4" x 8' Studs - look at them before buying
and make sure they are straight, home depots wood is crap. You cut these 1" short of the desired height of the desk. For my desk, I think I wanted the keyboard keys at 30" off ground and my keyboard is 4" high so I cut the legs 35" which gives my keyboard an inch of breathing space and puts my desk at 36" off ground level. You can adjust this to taste.

Support Beams / Stabilizers - (4) 2" x 4" x 8' studs

Side Diagonal Stabilizers - (1) 1" x 10" x 8' board (you'll need to make a 45 degree cut with a mitre saw to fit it between the front and back legs)

Molding / Finish - I used the cheapest modling I could find to hide the edges and make it look professional. I You need like 20' or maybe just one 16' molding piece will do it. The bigger and more elaborate your molding, the better the desk will look. Cut it 45 degree inside / out cuts and nail em to the top and keyboard tray.

That's all you need. It's really not much, and I built the entire desk in a single day. Staining and finishing took like a week that's the part that takes patience.

My workflow was -

1. Screw the Desk top corners to the legs to make a semi-stable-table

2. Stabilize the frame by adding real stabilizing bar and then side stabilizing bars. I added a fourth stabilizing / pedal bar but it's not necessary if your leg cuts are even and the table is sturdy.

3. Add the side diagnol stabilizing boards.

4. Screw the 2"x4" studs for the keyboard draw to the table frame sides at appropriate height.

5. Build the keyboard drawer - Place two 2"x4" studs on opposing sides of the keyboard drawer lumber you bought and screw them in sideways using several screws along the way. The heavier your workstation, the more screws you should use - you don't want this to fall apart.

6. Screw the drawer slide hardware on to the outside of the 2"x4" studs on the keyboard drawer, and screw the drawer slide receiving hardware onto the 2x4's that you put on the desk frame.

7. Line up the keyboard drawer slides with the receiving hardware and slide into place. This is the trickiest part - there is a margin of error of only about .25 - .5" anymore and this won't work, so make sure your keyboard drawer cut is precise, if it's too short there's no fixing and you'll have to buy another. Cut long and centimeter your way into the right size if you have to, I think those wood boards are like $30 so it's a tough mistake to make even once.

8. Add the molding and stress test. Finish it up however you want, put some screw hiders in and add moliding wround the hard edges to make it look nice. Stress test it to make sure it's pretty stable. Then just stain and you're ready to rock.
Old 16th July 2014
Lives for gear
this is offtopic i think but....i dont see the purpose of the VEP if youre talkion about a live performance setup... if you use ableton and use only its native instruments....but I could use a mac mini + macbook for live performance, vep is just for people who make big orchestra songs and for studio only right?
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inversound View Post
this is offtopic i think but....i dont see the purpose of the VEP if youre talkion about a live performance setup... if you use ableton and use only its native instruments....but I could use a mac mini + macbook for live performance, vep is just for people who make big orchestra songs and for studio only right?
I think typically yes it is a studio tool more so than a live tool, but that's not to discredit the potential of it as a live networking tool.

I don't know anyone who uses ableton and only ableton instruments... not that there's anything wrong with that or not that people don't do it, I just don't see it happen. Most people want to incoorporate other textures from synths like Massive, Omnisphere, kontakt libraries, etc...

As such, it would be an incredibly useful live tool - you could host all of your instrument on the VEP server and you could host your effects on the slave server. This allows you to run more instruments and more effects in a live setting as one consistent system.

Of course if you are only using ableton instruments and effects, this won't help. VEP is a plugin host, and ableton instruments and effects are not plugins but native daw instruments / effects, therefore they can not be used in VEP.
Old 18th September 2014
Here for the gear

Naugo, what do you think about Apollo performance/latency in conjunction with Omnispher, Kontakt virtual libraries and such kind of plugins and did you consider another card before you bought Apollo?
Old 25th October 2014
Gear Addict

...just got a second mac to pair up with the mac pro... lets see how well VEP suits me...
Old 25th October 2014
Gear Addict

doublepost
Old 4th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasco View Post
...just got a second mac to pair up with the mac pro... lets see how well VEP suits me... interesting thread
Any update after a week? Interested to know how it's treating you. I am extremely happy with the setup myself.
Old 8th November 2014
Gear Addict

Hi Naugo,

Yea its great and works wonderfully if you just can bear with setting a few templates and don't mind tweaking the other computer a little bit every once in a while

Its easy as pie when you have everything set up the way you want and it frees up all those resources from the main computer. Adds working headroom.

The only thing you really have to do is install your instruments/fx on the second computer and possibly set some templates on your favourite daw with instances of, lets say Kontakt loaded through VEP, and you're off.

I don't have all my templates set up yet to maximise the usefulness (I tend to tinker on the main comp still more than necessary) but when I get e.g. all my drum setups made up as presets I can imagine this cutting away a chunk of time and processing power drained from the main screen otherwise.

This is powerful, but you have to knowingly make use of it. There's a danger of getting into noodling mode on the main computer and forget about the extra headroom thats right beside me (and the answer is templates...)

I hope this helps..

Brasco
Old 8th November 2014
Gear Addict

doublepost
Old 7th December 2014
Gear Addict

Hey guys,

First - thanks for this thread. It's awesome. I've been using VE Pro with PT11 for several months and love it. I currently only have an iMac, but see a noticeable improvement in performance when hosting VI's with VE Pro.

I have been considering buying a mac mini for some time, but I'm wondering if I should do something about my imac first. It's a late 2009 model, 2.8 Ghz i7 quad core with 12 Gb of Ram. I really like it and would prefer to keep it and add the mini - but is it foolish to try and keep this one going?

Thanks!
Jon
Old 9th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkervin View Post
Hey guys,

First - thanks for this thread. It's awesome. I've been using VE Pro with PT11 for several months and love it. I currently only have an iMac, but see a noticeable improvement in performance when hosting VI's with VE Pro.

I have been considering buying a mac mini for some time, but I'm wondering if I should do something about my imac first. It's a late 2009 model, 2.8 Ghz i7 quad core with 12 Gb of Ram. I really like it and would prefer to keep it and add the mini - but is it foolish to try and keep this one going?

Thanks!
Jon
I don't think it's foolish at all... if it still works, you should keep it as an additional source of DSP just in case you ever work on a project that needs it. Maybe you get the mini and find yourself never using the Imac, in that case you can always sell the imac for a little bit of cash, use it as a home computer elsewhere in your house, or gift it to a friend / relative who needs a computer.
Old 9th December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugo View Post
I don't think it's foolish at all... if it still works, you should keep it as an additional source of DSP just in case you ever work on a project that needs it. Maybe you get the mini and find yourself never using the Imac, in that case you can always sell the imac for a little bit of cash, use it as a home computer elsewhere in your house, or gift it to a friend / relative who needs a computer.
Awesome! Thanks so much for the reply! I'll probably pull the trigger within the next couple of weeks.
Old 9th December 2014
heres a question: say you have a project set up and the slave is running all VIs and synths. when it coms time to render the track to wav, do adjustments need to be made or will it render directly from the slave?
Old 11th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guy View Post
heres a question: say you have a project set up and the slave is running all VIs and synths. when it coms time to render the track to wav, do adjustments need to be made or will it render directly from the slave?
Freeze and flatten works as normal in Ableton, as does bouncing / exporting
Old 11th December 2014
Gear Guru

Here's one:

So, same as he said, instruments/VI's on the slave, mix processing only on the master, when I want to automate parameters on a synth like cutoff etc, how does that work?

As I understand it the midi to play the synth goes from master to slave, plays the synth, and the audio stream goes back to the master, but that would imply I have no access to the synth's parameters to automate within the master, or am I misunderstanding something?

Thinking Logic by the way.....

Old 11th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Here's one:

So, same as he said, instruments/VI's on the slave, mix processing only on the master, when I want to automate parameters on a synth like cutoff etc, how does that work?

As I understand it the midi to play the synth goes from master to slave, plays the synth, and the audio stream goes back to the master, but that would imply I have no access to the synth's parameters to automate within the master, or am I misunderstanding something?

Thinking Logic by the way.....
You need to use screen sharing so you can pull up the Slave's desktop on your Master's screen, keyboard and mouse. The soft synths reside on the slave. Or you can have two sets of screens, keyboard and mice but no one does that.
Old 11th December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
You need to use screen sharing so you can pull up the Slave's desktop on your Master's screen, keyboard and mouse. The soft synths reside on the slave. Or you can have two sets of screens, keyboard and mice but no one does that.
Ok, but I am only running one DAW, say Logic. So, how do I record the automation of synth parameters in the main DAW concerning a synth VI that resides on the slave? I pull up the slave's desktop on the master computer screen, but there is no DAW there, right, so how do I record it?
Old 11th December 2014
Vep allows slave instrument automation from the master. The VEP plugins pass the parameter data over LAN.
Old 11th December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Vep allows slave instrument automation from the master. The VEP plugins pass the parameter data over LAN.
Great, Thank you.
Old 12th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Ok, but I am only running one DAW, say Logic. So, how do I record the automation of synth parameters in the main DAW concerning a synth VI that resides on the slave? I pull up the slave's desktop on the master computer screen, but there is no DAW there, right, so how do I record it?
The specific steps:

- Open Automation window in VEP 5
- "Learn" a parameter and assign it a value (Ableton and Logic handle this differently. In logic you would use the "Parameters" option, and in Ableton you would use the "Midi Controllers" option. There are 512 values that can be assigned to automate parameters in each instance of VEP. You can run as many instances as your slave can manage)
- From logic, Press A to show automation, and under the drop down menu on your track you will see an option for the 512 parameter values.
- Select the corresponding value and you are ready to draw or record in your automation
Old 12th December 2014
Gear Guru

Thank you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search