The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ahoy! I just bought 2 mac minis, now using VEP Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 21st March 2014
Tui
Gear Guru

What's with the ever changing thread title..? I hope this doesn't catch on at GS.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Obviously the GAS caused heavy breathing, resulting in bad images... heh
They look a little steamed up…
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
What's with the ever changing thread title..? I hope this doesn't catch on at GS.
The first was due to expletives where the op had ** in them, the second was due to me thinking more people could use the thread with VEP in it. The moderator granted the request. I don't think it will happen very often.
Old 21st March 2014
its the ever expanding thread title! AHHHHHH!
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guy View Post
its the ever expanding thread title! AHHHHHH!
Yeah it's now the redundant title of redundancy.. oh well.

And I know my phones camera totally sucks... the back of my iphone 4 is shattered and there's a blurry crack right along the camera lense. I'll take some proper setup pics when its all ready to rock.
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Addict

Really curious to know if anyone is using this with FL Studio.
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

I'm so close I can tase it

Minis are still shrink wrapped on the floor :(
Old 28th March 2014
Lives for gear

Just got them set up and everything moved in the room and plugged in. It's 3:30 in the morning here I have work at 9 am so that's it for now, expect an update on how easy it is to set up the system and if it was worth it or not in the next 4-5 days..

Old 28th March 2014
Wow, that's a pretty rad setup. I thought my 27" screen was "big"
Old 28th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guy View Post
Wow, that's a pretty rad setup. I thought my 27" screen was "big"
Hah, thanks! I went the projector route because that "screen" is actually a 8' x 4' x 8" Bass trap / front wall absorber and I didn't want to put a big reflective screen in front, so I just wrapped it with white GOM fabric, stained a wood frame and it worked out pretty nice. I'm just itching to get out of this cubicle so I can go back home and start installing software!!
Old 28th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
I'm just itching to get out of this cubicle so I can go back home and start installing software!!
Nice setup! Don't forget to plug in the two (master & slave) flash dongles (either blue Steinberg or purple VSL) for the software to authorize.
Old 28th March 2014
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
I went the projector route because that "screen" is actually a 8' x 4' x 8" Bass trap / front wall absorber
Cool idea!

I wonder, is there a (noisy) fan inside the projector?
Old 28th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Cool idea!

I wonder, is there a (noisy) fan inside the projector?
There IS a fan that does run, but so far it's quiet enough that it won't bother me during production. Very valid concern though, some of them are pretty loud.
Old 30th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Have to demo this VEP when I get time, seen a few videos of it in action and it looks very interesting.
Old 30th March 2014
Lives for gear
Interesting idea, that laptop/projector combo!

It looks like a very relaxing environment for composing.
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear

Alright I want to give a quick preliminary review now that I've got the system up and running for the most part. I went through the first round of tests today... and I have to say - HOLY FUDGING ICE CREAM BALLS I am very pleased and unbelievably impressed by the seamlessness of VEP5. Setting up the system was a breeze, it all just worked like it was supposed to - not something I expected at all. I just ran a first quick test - 16 stereo instruments (Diva, Zebra, Massive, Fm8, Sylenth, Absynth, Lush 101, etc..) on each mac mini, with my macbook pro running Ableton live and feeding each instrument either a 4-note poly sequence or a mono sequence... AND.... Neither mac mini topped out over 30%, and my macbook pro on Ableton didn't even crack 4%!!!! That's with 32 simultaneous instruments playing and some distortion (ohmicide, trash, camel phat), compression, eq, reverb, delay, with plenty of room to spare!! Of course it sounded like **** haha but that's not the point !!!!I couldn't even play 16 instruments at once before and now I feel like I have unlimited potential with orchestra pieces and even potentially using this setup to make one bad ass live rig (although probably too working many parts for that).

This is just a prelim review as I haven't really gotten a chance to push it yet, but I have to say, so far I am really liking what I'm seeing. I was expecting good results but I'm getting giddy thinking about how good it's performing right now. To all thinking about a mac pro upgrade I think this is worth taking a look at!!
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear

That's great - VEP is pretty shizzle-ific.
Old 31st March 2014
Quote:
Alright I want to give a quick prelimary review now that I've got the system up and running for the most part. I went through the first round of tests today... and I have to say - HOLY FUDGING ICE CREAM BALLS I am very pleased and unbelievably impressed by the seamlessness of VEP5. Setting up the system was a breeze, it all just worked like it was supposed to - not something I expected at all. I just ran a first quick test - 16 stereo instruments (Diva, Zebra, Massive, Fm8, Sylenth, Absynth, Lush 101, etc..) on each mac mini, with my macbook pro running Ableton live and feeding each instrument either a 4-note poly sequence or a mono sequence... AND.... Neither mac mini topped out over 30%, and my macbook pro on Ableton didn't even crack 4%!!!! That's with 32 simultaneous instruments playing and some distortion (ohmicide, trash, camel phat), compression, eq, reverb, delay, with plenty of room to spare!! Of course it sounded like **** haha but that's not the point !!!!I couldn't even play 16 instruments at once before and now I feel like I have unlimited potential with orchestra pieces and even potentially using this setup to make one bad ass live rig (although probably too working many parts for that).

This is just a prelim review as I haven't really gotten a chance to push it yet, but I have to say, so far I am really liking what I'm seeing. I wasn't expecting good results but I'm getting giddy thinking about how good it's performing right now. To all thinking about a mac pro upgrade I think this is worth taking a look at!!
this is excellent. ive been looking at building a monster PC to use with a macbook pro + VEP ever since you first posted a couple weeks ago. looks like i can incorporate the PC, and all its strengths, into the OSX ecosystem. man, how cool
Old 31st March 2014
Gear Addict

I've a question:

How do you control/tweak the separate computers? say you want to change patches on computer number 3, how do you do that?

I've also got the NMP and while its great I already managed to max it out a few times... Not because I needed to but because I didnt want to bounce tracks - at all.
Old 31st March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasco View Post
I've a question:

How do you control/tweak the separate computers? say you want to change patches on computer number 3, how do you do that?

I've also got the NMP and while its great I already managed to max it out a few times... Not because I needed to but because I didnt want to bounce tracks - at all.
You will need complete access to the slave to control it, i.e. with its own keyboard/mouse/monitor or with a KVM (as most users do).
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasco View Post
Easy as pie on Mac OSX. Just use the built-in screen sharing utility. You'll see a small window of the slave desktop which you can use the host mouse and keyboard on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
You will need complete access to the slave to control it, i.e. with its own keyboard/mouse/monitor or with a KVM (as most users do).
You may need duplicate keyboards, mouses and monitors on a PC but never on elegant Mac OSX!
Old 31st March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
Easy as pie on Mac OSX. Just use the built-in screen sharing utility. You'll see a small window of the slave desktop which you can use the host mouse and keyboard on.

You may need duplicate keyboards, mouses and monitors on a PC but never on elegant Mac OSX!
Ah great I might as well go shopping then if it's that easy
Old 31st March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
Thanks for reminding me of remote desktop, which is implemented in Windows. Forgot to mention it... heh
But since Brasco has an nMP that wouldn't really help him anyway...
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

Mid way through second day of testing and things are stable and working well.

The only problem I'm having is trying to automate parameters from the slave in Ableton Live. It is easy to do in Logic, it was a breeze, but I can't seem to figure out how to get it to work in Ableton
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

Okay got it working after tinkering around a bit more. The automation of plugins from the slaves has to be done through the midi clip automation editing, not the "Configure" button like normal. Instead you just match up the control CC's of the midi clip to the control cc's of VEP5 and it works like it should.
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

WOW. I really think this set up is the answer to my problems. VEP5 is unbelievably effecient when it comes to using CPU power, I almost can't believe it after working in a DAW all these years with plugin instruments I had no idea what I was missing. I can run 80+ instruments all at once with various degrees of processing and the computers dont even sniff at it... hovering around 35-40% each and they don't show any signs of performance problems. Even trying to run 16 simultaneous in Ableton live was giving me problems before.. I could barely play 2 instances of Diva if I was also trying to run Massive, reaktor, zebra, kontakt, etc... and now I can play 8 instances of it with 40-50 other instruments going on I can't even describe how happy I am with how this project has turned out!!

Now that I've tested it to levels of ridiculousness and know I won't be running into any CPU walls, I can't wait to get started making some music without hearing glitches and pops nonstop or having to bounce over and over!!

If you're considering this as a solution, DO IT!!! So far A++++ for VEP5!
Old 1st April 2014
I'm intrigued, as I run Ableton Live and would love the opportunity to run multiple copies of Diva in divine mode. How many voices of Diva are you running simultaneously with those 8 instances, and is that in Divine mode, with the Multicore button highlighted? Diva is by far my heaviest CPU killing software, and my favourite one too.
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

Given how cheap hardware KVM switches are it may be worth having less running in the background via remote desktop. Lean and mean still equals lower latency and faster.
Old 1st April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
Given how cheap hardware KVM switches are it may be worth having less running in the background via remote desktop. Lean and mean still equals lower latency and faster.
It depends on what is changing on the screen that you are monitoring. Since this connection is a gigabyte ethernet connection, you could simply just put Remote Desktop in the background hiding it when not is use and it may not matter. It's monitoring the video ram buffer in memory of what is getting transferred from the slave machine video card. The other way is to run the slave machine at a lower color resolution so the video ram buffer is very small Go down to 256 colors if possible. I don't know with recent changes in Mac OSX if this is now possible. Then it's barely any video buffer. You could try it from there and go up in resolution size. Smaller resolution is a smaller buffer. I would monitor it with "activity monitor" for CPU activity first on the slave machine. This utility is in the Applications/utilities folder. Otherwise don't bring up Remote Desktop unless you have to.
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

How does it work with midi? Say u run ableton/logic on mac and have a mackie controller and a apc40, how does the automatic controller assignment works? For example, when switching between tracks apc/mcu automatically gives u midi control over that tracks parameters so how would it handle plugs/vsts from the slave? Can apc/mcu be connected to the master and control the slave at the same time or do we need dedicated controllers connected to the slave?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search