The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
3 Best/Worst Plugin Companies To You - 2014 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 20th July 2015
Gear Addict

Im guessing the 'best' are the ones you using all the time... at the moment these are the ones for me:
Fab Filter, Eventide, TDR (plus Logic plugins) - giving me all the tools i need, from fx & modulation up to mastering.

As for the 'worst' - i dont really have one, coz these days i can demo most, if not all, before im spending €€€... unless you counting TC Electronic for discontinued PowerCore and stop supporting existing users.
Old 20th July 2015
Lives for gear

Not gonna' get into who is worst.

But for me the BEST are

1 PSPaudioware = great sound and value
2 U-he = SOUND!!!
3 Plugin alliance = best bundle value by a long way

G
Old 20th July 2015
Lives for gear

Seems Arturia pops up regularly as the worst. I understand it now, months ago I posted a stack trace crash for their free Moog plug-in and their automatic support response was 'tough luck we don't support freebies or fix them.' So of course I don't trust them with money for paid products, either.
Old 14th August 2015
Best: Spectrasonics for sound and support.
Worst: Applied Acoustic System been waiting for days for a response to a problem
TC Electronics... Native Instruments... don't bother to call them... or email for that matter. Universal Audio....they still have not fixed a problem with the presets and digital performer.
Old 14th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
I would like to add my $.02 for 2015

Best:
1. Waves
2. Harman (Lexicon)
3. A.O.M
Waves have definitely improved. I'm not sure they are my #1 , but I will take them off of my Worst list.

As for the best:
  • PSP
  • Klanghelm
  • Fabfilter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
Worst:
1. Slate Digital - nice plugins, but horrible "time to market" model. Lot's of promises followed by email after email full of lame excuses.
2. Relab Development - Outstanding reverb but horrible customer service and the company has not upgraded this $349 software after stating over the past 3+ years that it would.
3. Slate Digital / Relab Development. I actually can't come up with a 3rd based on the plugins I use, so I thought I would just reiterate the 1st two :-)
  • Slate

I don't have Relab, so I have no opinion on them, but I do have Slate plugins, and have to agree with you. Slate plugins sound great, but the company comes off as fast on promises, and frustratingly slow on delivery. Thankfully the updated VCC finally came out.

• IK Multimedia

Waves was on this part of my list for a long time. But they are not this year. Maybe I will put IK here this year because their products can be obtuse and make a mess in your DAW plugin manager if you're not careful. Regardless, Amplitube rocks.
  • Pace

Last, but not least, Pace. It's a freaking black hole if you need help from them.

Honorable Mentions:

1. iZotope
2. SoundToys
3. Toontrack
Old 14th August 2015
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentmoon View Post
Native Instruments... don't bother to call them... or email for that matter.
That hasn't been my experience. I've had several issues with different versions of Kontakt. It took NI a few days to reply, but they always have, and on one occasion addressed an issue in the subsequent update.
Old 15th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timemist View Post
I don't have Relab, so I have no opinion on them, but I do have Slate plugins, and have to agree with you. Slate plugins sound great, but the company comes off as fast on promises, and frustratingly slow on delivery. Thankfully the updated VCC finally came out.
Don't necessarily agree. Early days still for Slate, but they seem to be getting better at managing updates etc. Growing pains?

OTH, whenever I've needed tech support from them they've been great.
Old 12th December 2015
Gear Nut

Best
- Plugin Alliance (Quality plugins, great support, and they know what to emulate. Takes customer's requests seriously)
- Softube (Great plugins and great support. Love their GUI too.)
- 2CAudio (I LOVE all of their reverbs. And Andrew is such a great guy! )

Also worth mentioning are:
- DMG Audio (All of their plugins are superb)
- Klanghelm (Best bang-for-the-buck developer. Looking forward to their future products.)
- u-he (Great synths, great plugins, and great support)

Worst
- Acustica Audio (Quality plugins I admit, but support is utterly terrible. My tickets were ignored twice… so I eventually worked my ass off and solved the problems on my own. Also this company is slightly arrogant imo.)
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear
Best: DDMF, Klanghelm, TDR
Worst: Avid, Avid, Avid, Avid, and Avid. I realize they are not really a plugin company, but it's impossible to not mention them when there is a question about a digital audio company and the word "worst" is in the same sentence. The all-time most arrogant, punitive, and belligerent company in the field of digital audio, ever. No one is in second place, they stand alone.

Did I mention that Avid is the worst?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Hello Slutz,

Just wanted to see what your thoughts were on the best/worst Plugin Companies that actually listen or don't listen to customers here or at other forums.
This means with updates, fixes, GUI issues, and overall customer support problems via phone and/or email/forums.
Also, please say why you feel this way. Hopefully, most of them (Plugin Companies) can come here to either say thanks or comment to dispute and/or defend/apologize as to why.
Of course, customer support is the most basic but most important tool to be successful in any business.

Let them here from you!!!

Best:

1. Slate Digital - Since day 1, seems like they not only listen to customers and keep a presents here but add features that are key to customers. Their selection of what to emulate or produce is keys as well.

2. T-Racks - I have to say that they have hugely stepped up on this. Seems like Peter has been a huge help at this with being on this forum, making customers aware of updates and why they have updated because of what was said here or/and on other forums.

3. Cytomic - Though I haven't used the Glue as much now a days, I have to say I read and follow this company in seeing how he handles customer issues and updates and I must say, they are extremely fast and it seems like he listens as well.

Worst:

1. SSL - Not only have they totally dropped the ball on the Codemeter issue but, to have the issue go on for so long, at some point, I would think a company would rethink after 2 years but, for some reason, they decided to defend instead and I think that hurt them in the long run. I do see that they are now, getting ready to use iLok (Yeah) but, I guess my question at this point, how long is too long before they start to listen.

2. Motu - This company is almost laughable. I'll start with the MachFive. In my experience, trying to get that fixed and working correctly never happened then, they fixed all the issue but they released it in Version 2. So, I bought version 2. Then that started having deleting issues with samples plus other issues. They helped me for a little then I never heard back.
They never updated until a year later but then, it didn't fix the issue's I was having. Then it look like they fixed the issues in Version 3. I said forget. It now sits in the unused plugin folder.
I thought I learned my lesson but, I bought the BPM as I didn't own the MPC Ren yet, and this had some of the same issues. They promised to be on top of these updates as they were getting horrible feedback from customers as to why they don't update their products but after the first 2 updates, they again dropped the ball. At this point, I just told myself, no more Motu plugins/products - ever.

3. TC Electronics - The reason they are on my list is because, the fact that they make one of the best sounding Reverb plugins (VSS3 & DVR2) and an incredible Mastering Compressor/EQ (MD3)
and for them too make and support it for TDM was a dream.
Though it was extremely expensive, it is extremely well worth it. I use their plugins on every mix. Now, for them to say, we are not doing any future updates for AAX/AAX64 for any of their plugins when they clearly have a huge consumer base in Pro Tools is crazy and extremely upsetting. I don't want to move to PT 11 HD because of it (or one of the reasons).
Then they bring out their Radar plugins on AAX. WTF!!! Sorry but, never again will I buy another TC Plugin/product.

Honorable mention for both:

Best -

4. DMG - They are somewhat of a new company but man, are they on the right track. Not only is their Equilibrium EQ one of the best EQ plugins but, their customer support for it is outstanding and extremely fast!
Biggups to Dave!

5. Antares - Auto Tune has not only worked throughout the years for me and other (since 1999) but, they have been A+ in getting out extremely fast updates/fixes since day 1. Their personable email support is incredible as well! Thanks Tammy!

6. Valhalla - Great plugin (VV) fast updates and fixes and fast upgrades that are free and incredible. Not to mention that their plugin is only $50 to start.

Worst -

4. Slate Digital - Only for their lack of getting promised updates and fixes out within a period of time. It really takes them a long time and I see that it is really upsetting a lot of people here when you continue to bring out new products and not fix the stuff thats already out.
I know that it is different teams that works on new and older plugins but, at the end of the day, to customers, that doesn't matter and in time, it will be felt more than heard. I hope they understand that before it's too late.

5. Waves - WUP has been long talked about and hated and/or loved. So, if a plugin does not work right and they don't fix it until a later release, you mean to tell me that I have to pay for you to fix what doesn't work? Why/What did I pay for then. At a point, you feel like your really just paying for fixes. Which what WUP really is and for future updates for Mercury users that I'm not.
Of course, I haven't updated mine for a while as they still work great. I think what gets me is when they add a plugin to a bundle or a fix that they find out later or an updated GUI.
It does get annoying but, as long as it works, I'm OK.

Please, don't just put a companies name here and not say why. Be fair and let them know.
Hopefully they will read these and comments and give their side of view be it bad or good.

Thanks,

Marc
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

Soon we can make 2016 edition!

Old 18th December 2015
Gear Nut
I can't pick three. To leave out any of these companies from a top three would be criminal.

DDMF, Softube, Scuffham Amps, Acon Digital, Fabfilter, Klanghelm, DMGAudio, U-he, Gforce, Xfer Records, SampleMagic. All have excellent products and from my experience exceptional customer service.

In my experience. The worst customer service easily goes to NI. I will not be buying from them again, so that aside. I would not consider any other company that I have bought from for the worst list.

Last edited by Raven46; 28th January 2016 at 05:19 PM..
Old 18th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Soon we can make 2016 edition!

Old 18th December 2015
Lives for gear

IMHO : Crysonics are horrible compared to all the rest.
Old 18th December 2015
Gear Addict

The worst:::
ABBEY ROAD. Spent around 8-900 for their plugins and they drop support.
MACKIE. The biggest piece of crap co for not properly supporting an interface they sold me for $800.
CAMEL AUDIO. I can't download the exe for the products I paid for anywhere

The best:::
UAD. Although a bs model. They are professionals
Many other good companies for 2 & 3.
Old 18th December 2015
Best
UAD, Slate, Waves

Worst
No comment...
Old 18th December 2015
Gear Nut

Best are: Softube Soundtoys Plugin Alliance
Worst : Avid
Old 18th December 2015
Lives for gear

Best:
PSP Audioware
Klanghelm
Tokyo Dawn
WaveArts

Worst:
Not worth mentioning...
Old 18th December 2015
Lives for gear

Best: Softube , Klanghelm, Slate Digital
Worst: Avid, Avid, Avid.
Old 19th December 2015
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven46 View Post
The worst customer service easily goes to NI.
Out of curiosity - what exactly happened?
Old 19th December 2015
Lives for gear

Worst for me in the last 15 years -

DUY - I'm not sure if anybody could top them for worst customer service ever.

Abbey Road - Wish they would have just turned over the plugins to plugin-alliance. Nothing else has really replaced the TG Limiter plugin.
Old 19th December 2015
Lives for gear

they are all good except TC because the will in the end discontinue support for everything they sell.
and izotope who love to stick it to there customers by charging more for plugin upgrades than Avid does for a Pro tools upgrade.
Old 19th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by planck View Post
Worst: Avid, Avid, Avid.
All there is to say. Just hope someone over there is monitoring this, though given the extent to which they ignore their customers' wishes, hard to imagine.
Old 19th December 2015
TNM
Lives for gear
best three for me for support and product quality:
Universal Audio, Softube, Acon Digital

I mean of course there are many, MANY more great devs out there (too many to list!), but recently these guys really stick out to me.

Worst three for support:
Plugin Alliance without a doubt (emails ignored, general rudeness, no respect for loyal customers)
Native Instruments - some shocking experiences here
Apple with Logic
Old 19th December 2015
Gear Maniac

Best:

1)Indiginus- great stuff at great prices. I needed help with an update because I had missed an earlier update and they responded and fixed me up within minutes, even though I emailed them at night.

2) Toneboosters- High quality plugs that don't break the bank, and very easy licensing, in which you simply download one of those tiny key files that you can save, backup and use as you see fit, similar to the way Cockos/Reaper does it.

3) NI I've read bad stories about their customer service, and they can be remote and opaque, but the quality is undeniable, the upgrade paths are generous, and the one time I asked for customer support they included me in a half price sale retroactively, even though I had purchased about a week before the sale began, and refunded the difference. Plus free Xmas gifts that are not just throwaway nothings!

Since it's only three, there's no room for Stillwell, MeldaProductions, Izotope, Boulder Sounds or AAS, who also deserve lauds.

Worst:

1) Waves - Wave Central is horrible, their CP continues to be unacceptably intrusive despite the fact you no longer need iLok.

2) Air Music Technology - This was my fault, as I should have read the fine print before impulsively purchasing Xpand!2, as it requires PACE, which I will not have on my DAW PC, so I just threw away my $$$ on that. Nice synth though, otherwise.

3) Any of the other companies that insist on draconian CP dongles, USB sticks, online monitoring, who clutter up the market with stuff I won't use and should only be boycotted, not supported. If everyone boycotted them, that crapola would go away. I wish there was a KVR site that only had announcements from developers who use righteous CP, so I wouldn't have to sift through that nonsense.
Old 19th December 2015
joh
Gear Nut

Lately, Liquidsonics impressed me with their very good customersupport (even though we could´t solve the problem with AU Validation on Logic X/10.8.5.)
They even offered me a refund ! (which I didn´t take advantage off)

Best :
Liquidsonics
UAD
Metric Halo
Soundtoys
NI

Worst :
Apple

Worst by far :
AVID

I will never ever use WAVES because of their licencing system
Old 19th December 2015
joh
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
Did I mention that Avid is the worst?
No you didn´t. Please mention.
Old 19th December 2015
Here for the gear

The best:
Klanghelm
Tokyo Dawn
U-He
The worst:
IkMultimedia and his "Sounds Download Reactivation Credit" I'll never buy other ikmultimedia software for this question.
Avid and his Pro Tools First.
Old 19th December 2015
RTR
Lives for gear

It is hard for me to even contact NI support. They open their office late, plus the 3 hour time difference..I have to wait until 3 in the afternoon to call them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven46 View Post
I can't pick three. To leave out any of these companies from a top three would be criminal.

DDMF, Softube, Scuffham Amps, Acon Digital, SKnote, Fabfilter, Klanghelm, DMGAudio, U-he, Gforce, Xfer Records, SampleMagic. All have excellent products and from my experience exceptional customer service.

In my experience. The worst customer service easily goes to NI. I will not be buying from them again, so that aside. I would not consider any other company that I have bought from for the worst list.
Old 19th December 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Out of curiosity - what exactly happened?
Without getting into specifics as to why I had to contact them... When I had a problem installing my product I got a reply within a couple hours. I thought great a good sign of good customer service to come.
After a couple days trying to get the product to work I started mailing them for some help. This went on for three weeks, which was mainly due to the fact that it would take two if not three days to receive a reply. It felt like they were just dragging it out in the end. The tone in the mails I received were very arrogant, borderline rude and I felt they wrote to me as if speaking to a child. They were making out it was my fault that I could not get it to work, yet I tried everything I knew and everything they told me to try. I did never get the issue resolved and just gave up on it. Money wasted on a product I will never use.

I've mailed, to mention just a few Christian DDMF, Quinto SKnote, Rob U-he and Daniel Audient(Should have included them in my list) I have always received timely and very helpful replies from them and others no matter how stupid I felt my question/issue was. My questions always answered and issues always resolved. All the companies I've listed in the best list are great at supporting their customers. There are others that didn't make the list that are great too like IK, Sound Radix, Overloud and Hofa but my list couldn't include everyone, so I only put down those I've dealt with directly this year and not previously.

Others might say NI's support is great but I only speak of my own experience and they sucked big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
It is hard for me to even contact NI support. They open their office late, plus the 3 hour time difference..I have to wait until 3 in the afternoon to call them
I'm in Europe so it's fine for me, their about 1.5hrs ahead.
Old 19th December 2015
Lives for gear

I'll please ask again if you guys could let us and the plugin companies that monitor this site/thread know why they are your best and/or worst to better your experience and theirs.
It really does help and I see companies getting better and being more upfront on GS.

Thanks guys and let's keep it going.

Marc

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search