The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
3 Best/Worst Plugin Companies To You - 2014 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 7th November 2014
  #211
Best: Waves / UAD / IK Multimedia / PSP / Plugin Alliance / Celemony (Good Support and Great Plugins)

Worst: Slate Digital (plug ins are great but terrible Update support) more than a year passed by and they are still claiming that the updates are coming.
Old 7th November 2014
  #212
Lives for gear
 
Kindred's Avatar
 

After spending a week (not continuously, off and on) trying to install my first ever Waves product (Codex) and getting errors at every step, I have now slotted Waves above Arturia in my bad books.

In 10 years or so of installing 100 or more plugins, this is the first time I can't even get the plugin to install, let alone work!

Here is my message to Waves - this is how you install a plugin - download an exe file, install, enter serial or put license on ilok. That should be it.
Old 7th November 2014
  #213
Gear Addict
 

best :

Arturia for mini and micro brute synth, wich are great and affordable analogue synths.

(since 2013 - 2014) Korg (for making great products most peoples can buy (volca / electribe mk2 séries, for making copy of old analogue synth, for making great apps on Ios) and for being in phase with the present reality and customer needs.

an exemplary model of what I want to see in this industry.

worst :

(since 2010) uad (because they still force you to use and buy overpriced outdated dongle in 2014 / 2015, and their vision seems so limited, like a dead end for me).

(since 2014) Propellerhead (because of the huge mistake to release a poor featured v8 for 129 € / 129 usd (see the new change ratio 1 usd = 1 € wich is also a mistake), and also because they take too much time to add features we all want in their RE sdk (just to preserve their own profit (?) wich I don't support in a closed environnement), too much tools for guitarist I just dont care in Reason.

Exactly what I don't want in any closed plateform when the company behind it decides to milk you because they think your are tied to them since you spend a huge amount of money in their products.
Old 7th November 2014
  #214
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
SK Sta Level and Stripbus are seriously good also
Worth to mention also the Verbtone one of the finest plate emulations u can ever find,the dbx of sknote its so far the best offered as well they have excellent SSL 4000 with really fattening up effect.The Dimension D so its one of the best choruses ! Stagerspace its one plugin ppl kinda never talked about witch its superb quality reverb !I use Roundtone for tape delay and its mind blowing !
Old 8th November 2014
  #215
Lives for gear
 
Kindred's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred View Post
After spending a week (not continuously, off and on) trying to install my first ever Waves product (Codex) and getting errors at every step, I have now slotted Waves above Arturia in my bad books.

In 10 years or so of installing 100 or more plugins, this is the first time I can't even get the plugin to install, let alone work!

Here is my message to Waves - this is how you install a plugin - download an exe file, install, enter serial or put license on ilok. That should be it.
Update - a gentlemen named Adam at Waves was extremely patient and helpful and have resolved this - however still amazed at how a simple process (installing a plugin) could be made so unnecessarily complex compared to other devs...
Old 8th November 2014
  #216
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred View Post
Update - a gentlemen named Adam at Waves was extremely patient and helpful and have resolved this - however still amazed at how a simple process (installing a plugin) could be made so unnecessarily complex compared to other devs...
I had issues getting my first (and only) waves plugin installed as well. I finally figured it out on my own once waves support got back to me. It was a bit of a hack, but I know my way around computers and it works now...
Old 8th November 2014
  #217
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Keep them coming fellas!!!

Thanks to everyone that is not only saying the companies they love/hate but, explaining why!
So key for this thread.

Hope to see more plugin companies chime in.

Marc
Old 8th November 2014
  #218
Gear Head
 
SpeckledOwl's Avatar
 

Gotta chime in with another mention for UAD as one of the best… Any time I've needed support I've waited less than 5 minutes to get a knowledgeable person on the phone. They definitely deserve credit for that.
Old 8th November 2014
  #219
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Hope to see more plugin companies chime in.
Well, I have already chimed in regularly, but not for a bit. So I should also say thanks to the additional "bests" I've seen since my last post. If there are any worsts that I have not addressed or missed in any way, I'm available via PM to see if there's something we can sort out. Thanks!
Old 19th January 2015
  #220
Lives for gear
Best 2014: Waves because their plug-ins are great and the support people are very helpful. My cherry-picked set of Waves plug-ins just do what I want. They abandoned iLok too, so extra points for that.
Native Instruments are in worst too.

Honourable mention: U-he. Great software, great attitude. I don't own anything yet, but I want to.

Worst 2014: Native Instruments because they abandon older OS X versions too early and are keen to point the finger elsewhere when you have serious issues (hardware in my case). I still love their software and use it all the time, so they are in Best as well on that alone.
FXpansion for keeping latest Tremor in eternal beta (larger part of 2014) and suggest I downgrade when there are issues. I still love Tremor, but it's a troubled relationship.
Old 20th January 2015
  #221
Gear Head
Best:

Audio Damage - great sounding programs at reasonable prices
PSP Audioware - I love the sound of their software and they have awesome sales all the time
Waves - I know they're not popular because of the upgrade program, but they've had amazing deals lately. The Waves Gold for $200 and $29 plugins are hard to pass up.

Worst:

Native Instruments - Guitar Rig is still buggy in Ableton Live (resets to default preset when you recall the program), Komplete 10 was pretty underwhelming
Arturia - I love their programs and their new licensing program but it took two weeks to get the email/upgrade offer for V Collection 4 to appear in my account. Lots of back and forth with multiple people in their support. I finally got it and was able to upgrade, but I don't know why it was so difficult to make their website work correctly. Most everyone got the email and offer right away but for some random people it took forever for them to figure it out and make it work.
Old 20th January 2015
  #222
Lives for gear
 
billcarroll's Avatar
 

Best:
- Cytomic
- u-he
- Xfer

honorable mention: Slate, FabFilter, UAD, Valhalla

Worst:
- Arturia
Old 20th January 2015
  #223
Gear Guru
I gotta bash Slate for taking so long with the FGX and VCC updates, they won't be compatible with my OS. Really disappointed since when I bought them they were compatible and no word about it, just hype......
Old 21st January 2015
  #224
Gear Nut
 

VSL is the worst, on account of their ghetto documentation and unreliable customer support.
Old 21st January 2015
  #225
Gear Addict
 
LejonBrames's Avatar
 

Worst:
Sknote - This guy is straight rotten and childish lately. Bullies customer online, acts like a dismissive dick when CUSTOMERS enquire about the updates promised from 2 years ago, and no quality assurance for his plugins. And the people who act like it's other peoples problems are just as bad as the ****ty parents that refuse to acknowledge that their kid is an asshole. Never buying from this company again.

OverToneDSP - Dont let customers know a discount or update is happening. I always have to find out from an outside source. They refuse to get some kind of simple mailing list. IT's kind of absurd. Other than that the plugins are great, but I dunno if I can keep supporting them with this kind of business relations.

Sknote - Yep, his rotteness has made the list twice. I seriously have no idea what's going on with the guy, maybe a family member died recently and he's just not taking it well, but he seriously doesn't know how to conduct himself to paying customers. Seriously, I used to be one of his most loyal, outspoken customers. I can't stand behind him any longer.

Best:

IK - I think it's already been explained enough why they're awesome, so I wont rehash on this. Keep up the good work guys.

Hornet - Awesome developer, awesome guy, nice as hell. Has been on top of every bug I've had, trying to figure it out. Let me switch out a plugin for a different one when the one I had just wouldn't work on my set up.
Old 21st January 2015
  #226
Gear Nut
 
LightBlue's Avatar
 

Have to mention that when updating Cubase to v8 recently I had a problem with Pianoteq v5 loading properly. I mailed the guys at Modartt with the error codes and within a couple of days, they had fixed the issue and mailed me a new version to test (which has been fine). Absolutely stellar customer support.

My second mention would go to Partrick Kunz. His products are first class (I've owned a number of Juno's and SH-101's over the years and his emulations are damn close) and always found him to be incredibly responsive and courteous to deal with.

Unfortunately like others, Arturia have not been up to the mark for me.
Old 22nd January 2015
  #227
Lives for gear
 
quintosardo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post

...
Hope to see more plugin companies chime in.

Marc
Here we go!
Old 11th February 2015
  #228
Here for the gear
 

Slate Digital customer support non-existant

I have tried calling Slate Digital for a problem with the VCC plugin not showing up in my Pro Tools session. I also tried changing my password to their site and it won't accept it now so I can't even get into my account. After more than a week, nobody from Slate has called me back despite leaving three voicemails and writing them on their site.

I thought that they were still hung over from NAMM but come on, it's February 11 now. How patient am I suppose to be here?

Steven Slate, are you listening?
Old 11th February 2015
  #229
Lives for gear
 
JC Biffro's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCello View Post
I have tried calling Slate Digital for a problem with the VCC plugin not showing up in my Pro Tools session. I also tried changing my password to their site and it won't accept it now so I can't even get into my account. After more than a week, nobody from Slate has called me back despite leaving three voicemails and writing them on their site.

I thought that they were still hung over from NAMM but come on, it's February 11 now. How patient am I suppose to be here?

Steven Slate, are you listening?

Try adding them on Skype, that's where I've spoken to them in the past.

Their tag is slate_digital or something along those lines - you'll be able to find them.
Old 17th July 2015
  #230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
It is not too much to ask, but I also don't think that's the point. I didn't download your freebee either. Personally, I very much dislike companies collecting personal data without any justification - except for mailing unsolicited advertising, I suppose.

Then there's that iLok thing. It is a technological straightjacket.

I suggest trusting your (potential) customers a little more. If they like what they hear in a freebee, they will come back with cash in hand. Guaranteed.
Just found this, and wanted to add in a note that we stopped requiring this for a last SXSW promotion. You can create an account without all that info here:

https://www.soundtoys.com/acct/createAccountBasic

As for iLok - many companies have tried and failed to drop support for iLok. We simply are not going to put the time and effort into completely uprooting our licensing system, which has kept our software safe for years, with the risk that at the end of all that development time, our software would be traded around like mp3s on every torrent tracker. If you ever run into any issues with iLok, we are here to help. We're also dropping the requirement for iLok USB keys, so with all Soundtoys 5 products, you'll be able to activate directly to your computer.
Old 17th July 2015
  #231
Gear Guru
I must amend my earlier criticism of Slate, they are trying to make their plug ins compatible with Mixbus and have been proactive about addressing my concerns. I appreciate that.
Old 18th July 2015
  #232
Gear Head
 
J_Jax's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LejonBrames View Post
Worst:
Sknote - This guy is straight rotten and childish lately. Bullies customer online, acts like a dismissive dick when CUSTOMERS enquire about the updates promised from 2 years ago, and no quality assurance for his plugins. And the people who act like it's other peoples problems are just as bad as the ****ty parents that refuse to acknowledge that their kid is an asshole. Never buying from this company again.
Any examples of this? I've seen posts where his words weren't totally appropriate, but I've always given benefit of the doubt because (in those cases at least) it seemed like a bit of a language barrier thing. It's difficult for me to hate SK too much because the prices are so low, and the licensing policy so generous. It's generally not too difficult to get a refund if you're not happy with a plugin, and you can sell your licenses. My one major issue is that he does seem to spread himself thin. It would be nice if he just reeled everything in and gave each product a little more focus.
Old 18th July 2015
  #233
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Just found this, and wanted to add in a note that we stopped requiring this for a last SXSW promotion. You can create an account without all that info here:

https://www.soundtoys.com/acct/createAccountBasic

As for iLok - many companies have tried and failed to drop support for iLok. We simply are not going to put the time and effort into completely uprooting our licensing system, which has kept our software safe for years, with the risk that at the end of all that development time, our software would be traded around like mp3s on every torrent tracker. If you ever run into any issues with iLok, we are here to help. We're also dropping the requirement for iLok USB keys, so with all Soundtoys 5 products, you'll be able to activate directly to your computer.
Thanks Dan for updating us on this!
Glad to see you chiming in.

Marc
Old 18th July 2015
  #234
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
Here we go!
Haha, I forgot about this post but I see it's back because there are so many new plugins it's almost overwhelming.

Anyway, SDC is a GEM and your tech support is golden.
Thanks for helping!

Marc
Old 18th July 2015
  #235
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LejonBrames View Post
Worst:
Sknote - This guy is straight rotten and childish lately. Bullies customer online, acts like a dismissive dick when CUSTOMERS enquire about the updates promised from 2 years ago, and no quality assurance for his plugins. And the people who act like it's other peoples problems are just as bad as the ****ty parents that refuse to acknowledge that their kid is an asshole. Never buying from this company again.

OverToneDSP - Dont let customers know a discount or update is happening. I always have to find out from an outside source. They refuse to get some kind of simple mailing list. IT's kind of absurd. Other than that the plugins are great, but I dunno if I can keep supporting them with this kind of business relations.

Sknote - Yep, his rotteness has made the list twice. I seriously have no idea what's going on with the guy, maybe a family member died recently and he's just not taking it well, but he seriously doesn't know how to conduct himself to paying customers. Seriously, I used to be one of his most loyal, outspoken customers. I can't stand behind him any longer.

Best:

IK - I think it's already been explained enough why they're awesome, so I wont rehash on this. Keep up the good work guys.

Hornet - Awesome developer, awesome guy, nice as hell. Has been on top of every bug I've had, trying to figure it out. Let me switch out a plugin for a different one when the one I had just wouldn't work on my set up.
Hey LB,

I haven't seen activity that has prompted SKnote to act in such ways.
I just bought their SDC plugin and had questions as well as I tried to help him out on something and he's very open and on point for my matter.
Maybe Q can smooth out your needs on this.

Marc
Old 18th July 2015
  #236
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

So I guess I should update my list for 2015...

Here we go,

Best for 2015

1. Waves - Dam & WOW, what a year for Waves! I can finally say, WUP made me smile for once. Why you say, because, on March 1st, they turned all/most of my RTAS/Native plugins into TDM (Twice as much $ than RTAS) for Free or rather for $200 for my Max WUP.
I had a pretty big bundle of plugins, about 60+ plugins from Waves. About half of them were already TDM but, I had about 3k of plugins not TDM and that was a great feeling.
I was happy to update WUP as I felt and I'm sure everyone else that has been holding out to update their WUP updated March 1st that uses Pro Tools Mix and/or HD!
Huge biggups to Waves for that. Not only that, but can I say WOW again as they have been doing these incredible discounts on all of their highend plugins. I'm getting plugins that were $300 to $500 for now, $99 or even $49 and sometimes $29 a pop.
I just got the Multiband Linear Compressor for $29 bucks. That's crazy as it really is a great plugin! Thanks Tony by the way for making it a better price even!
Waves, I have to say, this year, you guys have killed all other plugin companies in my book with the upgrades and updates and amazing sales/deals...kudos!

2. Slate Digital - I have to say, VMR as revitalized the plugin frenzy. What a great idea/product that not only improves workflow but, sounds outright incredible!
They have been on top of updates this year for the most part "Cough Cough" but the energy that they have brought to the plugin platform is unmatched!
I do now know not to get their plugins until after a month (1/2 the price) but dam, after I test them I can't help it. I need it right then.
Again, as for Updates, they have been on it for new products but horrible on old products.
Check the Worst List... Not all good....
I do commend Steven for sticking to his guns and backing up his so called rhetoric about digital being as good as analog hardware. Despite what you think, he does prove it by not only talking about it but will be the first to share audio test for all to give an opinion.
What other company on this forum does that? NONE!!! He takes it raw from users here and comes right back to prove or to share the facts. I really like that about him and Slate and agree about 98% of the time! Kudos to Slate and his team!

3. Plugin Alliance - They are just on a roll and don't seem to be letting up. They just released about 4 to 5 new plugins and one free (Which I really like but not into the other Gtr Amp plugin things-sorry).
Their plugins are always top notch and their tech support is the same.
Whenever I have an issue, they jump right on it and in the next release, it's fixed (About a week no more than 2).
Don't know how big this company really is but, they act like their as big if not bigger than Waves as they almost have as many plugins out right now. Not only do they do TDM/RTAS/AAX/AAX DSP/VST/AU they also do UAD plugins too for their brand and other brands like Vertigo/SPL/Maag etc...
You don't hear them complaining either. They just get it done. It is amazing how they are doing all this in such a short time.
Not only that but, you get all their plugin versions with one purchase. Hold up...Let me say that again, you get all their plugin versions with one purchase (TDM/RTAS/AAX/AAX DSP/VST/AU - except UAD)
Unlike McDSP/Softube/Avid/Metric Halo and many more that made TDM and/or AAX DSP, they don't charge extra for making other versions!
They still support older versions as well 100%, let me say that again, while other companies have either dropped or made up some excuse/story about not being able to support RTAS or TDM because of AVID or whatever, they Plugin Alliance are still making all versions!
That right there is not just quantity but quality!!!
I as a user appreciates the hard work and will continue to support PA for this move.
I've stopped buying McDSP/Softube because of this even though I can use their VST/AU versions I already own but, it makes me mad for a company to force you to have to change up everything you do because they want to go a different direction and stop updating for their base customers.
Please support these guys! I support PA and will forever support them even when I or if I do go to AAX!!! Thanks Dirk....

OK, now for the Worst in 2015,

1. Avid - Do I really have to say what hasn't been said already by hundreds if not thousands of other/users. This company just doesn't listen to it's user base at all!
They have their own agenda and they figure that they will make you follow or else.
Back in the late 90's early 2000's yes, they could do that because they were ahead of the game, they were the top dog and no one else was doing or could match the power that Pro Tools Mix and/or Pro Tools HD could do. Computers were not fast enough and no one could have latency or match the latency of Pro Tools. They could demand high prices because it made since if you wanted,

1. Low Latency
2. More Plugin Power via PCI/PCI-e Cards
3. Streamlined mixing and editing
4. Highend Converters
5. Incredible expansion
6. Thee Best Plugins TDM by all the major hardware companies
and much more, you had to get a Pro Tools Mix/HD system.

Well, now it's 2015 and computers are so fast that it makes the new HDX look like a Power PC.
Their idea's are outdated and outpaced by even small companies.
UA is becoming the top dog in both Latency and Plugins.
From what I've heard, their all old Avid/Digi employee's. Hahaha
Waves did the most damage to Avid by not supporting AXX DSP and now later showing that they have their own cards now with both latency and power abilities for their plugins. PA is now on board with them as well for their system but still support AAX/AAX DSP (Smart) money from all sides!
Pro Tools does have a better streamlined edit and mix screen/system but it's only time before Apple's Logic figures out what they need to do to take the last of the Pro Pro Tools users.
If Avid would get their face out of their own ass and see, that the users are there, there just all using Pro Tools 7/8/9/10. Apple learned that longtime ago. That's why, when they lowered their updates for Mac OS to $29 then to free and lowered their Logic updates from $500 to $249 and even $149 they exploded. Anybody that owned a Mac and did music, bought it.
Did Apple need to do that, Yes, why? To build the hype for everything else they bring out and keep you buying their products/hardware.
If someone at Avid could just have the balls to step up and say, do we want everyone using Pro Tools Native and Pro Tools HD, let's make upgrading cheaper like $249 for Native systems for all the older versions and $500 for old HD users. Mind you, to upgrade to HD, you have to get all new hardware but, they are so lost, that they don't know how to gain users anymore.
A free version that's limited? Who's idea was that! Get him outta there.... That's so 2005.
Why do you think Logic is so cheap as I'm sure it is not cheap at all to make/update/upgrade etc?
If you make music, want a lot of free plugins/soft synths, free sheet music written for you, use the latest AU plugins and have AU power from Mac then, come get a Mac! What kind? We have all kinds of Mac's for everyone and Logic works on all of them! Oh, don't have enough power to run all the AU you need, well we got a new Mac every year to take care of that for you... Selling 101 draw them in (Free OS) and keep feeding them small fish (Free Updates to $129) and every now and then they want the bigger fish (iMac/Mac Book/Pro $1k) and you also sell whale (Mac Pro Tower $3k).
Maybe one day, they'll stop and learn from someone who is really good at it! In fact, the best in the world!

2. Slate Digital - Yes, I know.... They are also the best but, I'm sorry, they lack in one area....
Updates and fixes. Sure, VMR for AU/VST & AAX users have been wonderful but for RTAS users, painful! I would have just thought it was an 32bit issue like Steven mentioned before if I wouldn't have gotten Blue Cat's Patchwork and ran both VST and AU 32bit plugin inside Pro Tools with a 32bit wrapper plugin to only see that 32bit plugins work great! It's just that RTAS versions suck majorly!!!!
Also, been promised the VBC mono version for over a year now and was even told it was done, just needed to be beta tested. That's a long beta testing.
We were also told that, the reason for the delay was because there were 2 teams, 1 working on new plugins and 1 team working on old plugins. After admitting that it was a little white lie and that they were just under staffed (He did apologize - Kudos for that as that takes a real man to step up and do) but, then he said he hired a lot more people to get everything done faster and better, but still no progress in site for VBC mono or VMR RTAS but promises of new products is a definite (NOT GOOD).
FG-X came out for 64bit and it is more cpu friendly... great. Guess RTAS versions won't see any of the new progress. My FG-X takes up 45% of cpu (1 instance) and the VCC use to take up 25% and he admitted they (the plugins) could be written better and updates were going to show that.
VCC 2.0 now takes up 5% in RTAS when it works. Hope FG-X will see the same progress.
Sorry, I like Slate digital plugins as they are really good but the excuses does have me looking elsewhere.... Thanks God for companies like Waves, SKnote, Klanghelm and PA who are coming with a vengeance to take over the plugin field or at least keep them honest about RTAS (CNN)!
Steven, I want you too win, I believe in your plugin vision and I think you with Fabrice's help designing the most original plugins out (VCC/FG-X/VMR). What is killing you are the super year long updates. Promises that your team is working on it and then, 2 or 3 new plugins later 8 months down the line "It's still coming" is still NOT GOOD!


3. Lennar Digital's Sylenth - Either this soft synth is going to have the most sounds of any keyboard ever in the history of time x 2 or it's going to be the most amazing upgrade/updated synth ever made. Either way it's been over 3 years and everyone is still waiting for this update. Well, maybe a few people are now but it has to be the most used and most programmed soft synth in dance and pop music ever.
This company has promised a 64bit upgrade for more than 3 years and now. So either he gave up and just said, "Just use the dam 32Lives plugin" or this plugin will have sounds from heaven. Either way, I don't know if it will ever come out but, I do still use and like this plugin.
This is the worst example of making people wait. I think Spectrasonics did the same thing with Omnisphere and now, nobody is talking about that plugin anymore. I really hope this doesn't happen to Sylenth!

Honorable Mention...
Almost best 2015....

1. Klanghelm - One word "MJUC". This plugin is amazing and a game changer. First, 3 plugins in one. Second, $28 bucks. Third, Each model is amazingly great sounding and instance smile forcing good music. SDDR is good as well and that DC1A is great too. I use the VU plugin all the time but the MJUC is in a different cloud space! If he keeps up this type of work, he will be a rich man even at $28 bucks a plugin. I think he is a one man band as well. Thanks Tony!!!

2. SKnote - 3 letters "SDC"! What a great plugin! Now it makes me want to get everything he makes because of this one. Looks incredible and sounds as good.
After looking at his site, makes me think, is he human? Does he sleep? How many plugins has he made already?
I first got interested in this company when I saw his GTS39 plugin and asked was he going to be making RTAS versions.
He said yes, it's coming. Now that was a year ago, and I have been on him about it and he keeps saying it's coming. I'll give him a little more time as I see he's got what everyone has been asking/begging for "Distressor in plugin mode"!
It seems he does listen to what people want and beg for from others plugin companies and it seems like he just says "I'll do it then" and next thing you know, it's here.
I'm going to get the C165a VCA compressor tonight because of the SDC. It's different than the SDC but that's why I'm getting it.
He does have a super fast turn around when you buy his plugins at least he did for the SDC plugin. I was able to get it as soon as I was out of Paypal. That is a major plus!
The one thing that is not good about this plugin creator is that he doesn't have demos for us to try his plugins before buying but, they are so cheap, you can buy it and I hear that, if you do not like it, he will give you a 100% refund.
That is worth the purchase. I'm in love with the SDC and I know it's a beginners love but, this plugin is wooing me pretty good. Great job Q and I can not wait til the Distressor because if it is any where near the quality of the SDC, I'm all in brother!!!

Almost Worst 2015...

1. TC Electronics - Man this company has really let me down. I absolutely love the VSS3 and DVR2 reverb plugins! 2 of the best out period.
The MD3 is masterful at mastering.
TC decided to not do AAX/AAX DSP or update/upgrade any of their TDM plugins.
This is a serious let down. Yet, they keep bringing out new AAX/AAX DSP plugins...HUH???
This is called backwards as_ thinking. You have some of the most amazing TDM plugins out yet, you wont upgrade them to AAX but, you'll bring out sub-par AAX plugins.
Now they have been bought out by Behringer. All man, guess well will never see Pro Audio plugins from them again.

2. Focusrite - They released a plugin bundle called Midnight that was a direct copy of the Focusrite Forte TDM versions but for RTAS/VST/AU. They said that they would not be updating or upgrading the Midnight plugin to AAX which bummed out a lot of people including me because I was thinking of purchasing this plugin because of the amazing sound of the ISA compressors I use to use (Hardware) and Dave is the one that modeled them (Dave from DMG) so I knew they were good.
Well, Focusrite comes out with the all new Red versions for AAX/AU/VST. What???
Then some smart ass goes and test the Midnight EQ vs the all new shiny Red EQ plugin and they both phase cancel with the same settings then, they do the same for the compressor and they both cancel. Huh???
So, it's the same plugin just a different GUI. They repackaged an already great plugin/s to sell it for more and promote that this one can be used with AAX..... WOW, that is some shady stuff if I have ever heard of shady stuff. If I had the Midnight plugin which I still want (Maybe not now), I would be extremely pissed! Why not just update the Midnight Plugin to AAX? Or The Midnight Red series update. They did make it up to the guys that owned the Midnight plugin by giving it to them for free but, this makes me look at them a little different.
For this, they landed in the almost worst category!

I support great companies that help my job get easier!
I love great customer service and great sounding plugins!
I applaud all the plugin companies that have stepped up and came on this post to either apologize and/or say that we will do what we have to, to make you a believer in our company!

I also support plugin websites that help all of us purchase these great plugins...
Biggups to them as well...

1. Plugin Discounts
2. Audiodeluxe
3. Don't Crack

I check out their site when I can or when I get their emails about this plugin or that plugin going on sale.
They all make life a little easier and to that, I say thanks guys!!!

Now let us hear your Best and Worst for 2015!!!

And please, do support your plugin companies by buying their plugins either on sale or full price.
Do not support crack plugins!!! Nobody wins if you do!!!

Thanks guys,

Marc
Old 18th July 2015
  #237
Lives for gear
 
Synth Buddha's Avatar
There are so many good ones that I'd have a hard time picking the best.

As for worst, the first thing that comes to mind is of course Camel Audio. Or should I say Ben Gillett, as Camel Audio is of course now gone. What that guy did to customers who have been supporting him and his company for years and years - leaving us with a version of Alchemy that still feels unfinished (after having promised us a v2 and fixes etc for a very long time) is simply unforgivable. Very, very trashy thing to do. Sure, I'd be fine without a v2. But could he at least have had his team put some effort into fixing a few bugs before leaving us hanging like that?

Hey Ben, if you're reading this, I hope you're gone from this industry. For good. I'll never hand over any money to anything you're ever involved with again, that's for God damn certain.
Old 18th July 2015
  #238
Lives for gear
I would like to add my $.02 for 2015

Best:
1. Waves
2. Harman (Lexicon)
3. A.O.M

Worst:
1. Slate Digital - nice plugins, but horrible "time to market" model. Lot's of promises followed by email after email full of lame excuses.
2. Relab Development - Outstanding reverb but horrible customer service and the company has not upgraded this $349 software after stating over the past 3+ years that it would.
3. Slate Digital / Relab Development. I actually can't come up with a 3rd based on the plugins I use, so I thought I would just reiterate the 1st two :-)
Old 18th July 2015
  #239
Gear Nut
 

I'm not going to list 3 and 3 but for me the best developers have been Fabfilter and U-He.

Fabfilter in particular has fixed bugs just days after I've emailed them … and their plugins are just top notch. The Multiband and Pro-Q 2 plugins took what they do to another level, so I can't wait till they update the other plugins to that new standard.

As far as the worst developers I can think of … I don't know, I don't use any plugins from companies I dislike, or that have a reputation for being buggy. For instance I stopped installing Arturia synths years ago since they were so unstable (I barely used them in the first place, and U-He stuff smokes what they did from every angle).
Old 20th July 2015
  #240
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Hey LB,

I haven't seen activity that has prompted SKnote to act in such ways.
I just bought their SDC plugin and had questions as well as I tried to help him out on something and he's very open and on point for my matter.
Maybe Q can smooth out your needs on this.

Marc
I find that Quinto also tries humor sometimes and that sometimes translates badly. I also have seen some people go after him in bad ways, one exchange on KVR was nasty and he was justified in his response. His plugs are always evolving and that frustrates people. I feel that his work is superior and sometimes visionary. Have always gotten a cheerful refund and prompt feedback, if needed.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump