The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
3 Best/Worst Plugin Companies To You - 2014 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 28th October 2014
Gear Head
Best: Waves, Voxengo, Stillwell

Honorable mention: scuffham, IK, Blue Cat

Can't say who my worst are since if they are bad I don't use em LOL
Old 28th October 2014
Lives for gear

weird thread, but if we're talking about stability and support (because the sonics are a subjective matter of taste in most cases), these are my thoughts:

STABILITY

rock solid: waves, soundtoys, avid, massey, softube, valhalla, izotope, antares, eventide

occasionally iffy: slate, NI and IK samplers (NI/IK plugs are solid, never had a problem)

buggy as fvck: arturia (sounds good, but uber patience required...)

SUPPORT

the best support i've gotten over the years has been from IK, waves, and antares, the the worst is arturia and NI
Old 28th October 2014
Lives for gear

Very difficult to narrow down to 3 so here are 4 best ones.

Waves , very good customer support.
Xfer, for a small dev remarkable support.
Fabfilter, very reliable and top notch communication
Uhe, just brilliant.
Old 28th October 2014
Gear Nut

I agree that it's hard to narrow down 3,

best/
- Waves, UAD, Slate (for sound quality and stability since I've never had an issue with Slate.)

worst/
- URS, Arturia(stability), sknote (although there is a lot of love for them here, I only used their tape emulator and thought it was horrible.)
Old 28th October 2014
Gear Nut

best/
- Waves, UAD, Slate (for sound quality and stability since I've never had an issue with Slate.)

worst/
- URS, Arturia(stability), sknote (although there is a lot of love for them here, I only used their tape emulator and thought it was horrible.)
Old 28th October 2014
Gear Maniac
Best:
Slate digital, PSP audioware and Native Instruments.
Old 29th October 2014
Here for the gear

Wink

Best:
1. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Exponential Audio. Seriously great reverbs, and excellent customer service. Michael has responded to my emails almost immediately after sending him questions, etc.... Check out his stuff if you haven't yet.

2. DMG Audio. Great stuff, and the best EQs for me. Great workflow and flexibility. Automation works flawlessly, and EQs just sound great! Dave is also incredible with customer service, and responds very quickly to questions, etc....

3. Avid. For me, the Avid Pro series is top notch. Pro limiter and compressor are my go to dynamics plugins. Automation always works without a glitch. I also appreciate that these plugins have multi-channel support (as I work in post).

4. Isotope. Very creative, useful, and "out of the box" modern plugins. RX is simply amazing. Insight gives so much information in an easy to read interface. Etc, etc, etc....

Worst:
1. Waves. Really no forward thinking. Plugins have not been updated in forever. Some pretty gui's, but much more form over function. Enough with the emulations. Enough with bad copies of great gear (ie, WNS vs Cedar).
---with that said, there are a few waves plugins I do still like (h-delay, dorrough meters)
Old 29th October 2014
Lives for gear

Best:
UAD - WAVES - SLATE DIGITAL - EVENTIDE - BRAINWORX
Worst:
The worst.
Old 29th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
No, it allows for one authorisation of exactly one computer *at a time*.
I don't known about you, but one computer at a time is more than enough for me, especially when that can be any one computer.
Old 29th October 2014
Lives for gear
Best : Tokyo Dawn Labs, U-He, Klanghelm, Airwindows

Fantastic plugins and equally great support/philosophy.
Old 29th October 2014
Gear Maniac

My 2014 worst ;

Arturia ; I found their support is beyond pathetic....., (and that was twice in 2014 , with one occasion being very recently)

I am (sort of) glad that It was only a single V.I plug-in I purchased from them, and after finding out (twice) actually how pathetic their support really was ..., I'd shudder to think if I was at their mercy for a whole Arturia package

My 2014 Best ;

Slate - hands down ..., and Realitone (V.Is) were also equally excellent IMO

Villans in 2014;

Native Instruments , for recently selling me a full priced - Komplete 9 Ultimate

..., for which N.I sent me an email with "upgrade options" soon after my K9U purchase - to have my K9U which included "Session Horns" - to be upgraded to "SESSION HORNS PRO" (which I did purchase BTW)

..., and also to upgrade their supercharger plug-in to the new SUPERCHARGER "GT" (which I did also purchase )

>>>>>>> Then N.I shortly after my full priced K9U purchase (with add-ons) , N.I announces K10 Ultimate including these upgrades (that I was recently offered and paid for)
..., but heres the part that really stinks >>>> N.I would NOT offer me any DISCOUNTED price reduction what so ever towards an upgrade to K10-U - their advise to me was to try and sell my session horns pro and GT supercharger, and they also refused my suggestion of a refund (for S.H.P & S.GT) ei; If I followed through and purchased the K10U upgrade from K9U.

- seeing I recently paid more than half of K10-U's asking price just for SH Pro , and Supercharger GT ., I think a big discount offer from N.I is in order IMO
Now their current full Upgrade price for me has no value , and I feel hoodwinked.

Last edited by seafoam_green; 29th October 2014 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 29th October 2014
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam_green View Post
>>>> N.I would NOT offer me any DISCOUNTED price reduction what so ever towards an upgrade to K10-U - their advise to me was to try and sell my session horns pro and GT supercharger,
That seems like good advice to me. I don't see a problem.

NI, somewhat similar to Waves, sell individual softwares but also bundles. One needs to plan ahead a little... Are you likely to want just one plug-in, or perhaps much more?

Personally, I never buy bundles.
Old 29th October 2014
Gear Addict

Worst -

iZotope
iZotope
iZotope

Best -

FXpansion
Camel Audio
Rob Papen
Old 29th October 2014
Lives for gear

I suppose the folks who keep saying Slate is "hands down" the best are not PT users. The ONLY logic I can find behind that statement. And even then I still have to scratch my head, because there's enough negative Slate threads/posts at GS to start a whole new site...
Old 29th October 2014
Tui
Gear Guru

Let's be fair. He just released a new - email.

Old 30th October 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
I suppose the folks who keep saying Slate is "hands down" the best are not PT users. The ONLY logic I can find behind that statement. And even then I still have to scratch my head, because there's enough negative Slate threads/posts at GS to start a whole new site...
Hi Raysoul , actually I am a pro tools user , and I do understand and sympathise with your point re - vcc-fgx ..., (which are coming eventually , and I cant wait + I am currently using vcc inside of bluecats patchbay anyway).

While ignoring the ugly threads you mention ...., I am patient and understanding of their situation because I know how they are a small company who were on the verge of cracking many groundbreaking projects when they were forced into the AAX updates, and have been under pressure ....., but please -I dont want to enter into an argument about that.

..., why I said hands down - was I have all the other slate stuff also (incl Raven) and every time I contact slate for their support ,its almost an instant and totally professional response I get from them, even to the point where they will talk me through the whole procedure via skype.

With Slate - Never am I left waiting , never is the advice given by them an open ended answer that requires ping pong responses to get the reply your after like many others ive experienced.

I am on the other side of the world from the US on opposite time slots ..., so skyping has been difficult , but the guys at slate have even had me skype them at times (to them) would be approx 9 - 10 PM at night - thats how accomodating they have been

....., thats is why I am giving credit where credit is due
Old 30th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_fuzz View Post

best/

worst/
yeah the sknote tape emulator sucks, but their rev250 reverb, their eq, and gts compressor are pretty great sounding.
Old 30th October 2014
Gear Guru
SK Sta Level and Stripbus are seriously good also
Old 30th October 2014
Lives for gear

stripbus nintendo gui really throws me off. For that reason I was biased against it and never really tried it. The need to better 3rd graphics. I do like the gui of their eq and rev250
Old 31st October 2014
Lives for gear

When I list worst it's not because they are bad. They just give off a negative vibe with some things. They are all good enough for my money in the worst list I still buy from them.

Best

u-he So many updates for great synths and no policy to trip you up. They are fully on the customer side. Gave me Zebra HZ for free.
DMG Audio Great piracy protection that I don't notice is there, great plugins and updates every few months. The more DMG plugins you own the cheaper the rest are.
Cytomic I told Andy the worse case scenario with his pirate protection and he made it clear on the forums he would help us out if this happened.
Valhalla DSP Great plugins at wacky prices. Lots of algos and new algos added for free.
VIR 2 When I reinstalled Electri6ity a disk was no good so emailed support they gave me a download link the next day.

Ik Multimedia I had enough for a new cheap plugin but not enough for the minimum credits they wanted me to buy.
Support said ---------------CENSORED---------- That made me happy and I agreed not to tell anyone what he said.
Soundtoys Won two plugins and a shirt from them. Youtube tutorials are fun. Their plugins are well thought out and the best sound in those types of effects.

Worst

Image Line Because they don't allow you to transfer licences.
Ableton Support said there are no plans to add VST3 support and I don't think we ever will. In other words we don't want you using Roland plugins or any VST3 only plugin in the future.

On the brink

Slate Digital
They bring out fixes often for all plugs but not FG-X. They announce plugins coming out in two weeks when really all they have is the GUI working. I swear there is no algo at this stage as there are no sound demos. I think he has now changed this policy which is why he's in the Brink list. VMR coming in two weeks over five months ago made me save money for it when I could of spent it on Booze what we call in the UK pissing your wages up the wall.

Slate is in best if he makes FG-X compatible with mixes using more than 3Gb of RAM. I got ran in circles by support when I reported the bug. No thanks for reporting the bug we will pass it on just "your computer is not good enough or the plugin is installed wrong" several times so I still don't know if Steve and Fabrice know about it . Steve says FG-X 2 is coming at no extra cost.
So when it's out Slate Digital is in the best list if the bug is gone. I can tell from emails and the forums Slate are working a lot on FG-X update. We get so many coming soons though. Just tell me when it's released. If he gives me the beta of VCC 2 and the free version of VMR I will move Slate into best straight away I think Slate has changed in the last few weeks. So he's on the brink of going in the best.
Old 31st October 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
stripbus nintendo gui really throws me off. For that reason I was biased against it and never really tried it. The need to better 3rd graphics. I do like the gui of their eq and rev250
You'll probably love his new Strip release when it's ready. When is the operative word, but I'd give it a try in it's present incarnation since there's a lot there to play with, and will be expanded in the new version.
Old 31st October 2014
Lives for gear

I actually hope they really improve it as I really do like their plugs, but I will fully admit part of the allure for me with plugs is a beautiful gui.
Old 31st October 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
Sonivox must rate as one of the worst. I have dozens of VST and VSTIs on my DAW, all free and almost all easy to install. Got a $49.95 Sonivox product and it's been nothing but a headache.

From trying to place the order, onward...problems. Now so far I can't get the license authorization, and of course, the plug-in doesn't work. So I have more phone calls to the company and more frustrations coming my way, no doubt. Nice to vent, thanks, haha.
Sonivox is the only company that never replied to my request for support, and it was license authorization.

Quickest response: SIR Audio Tools. I like Sir2 and the new StandardEQ.
Old 1st November 2014
Lives for gear

Three best are ones that delivered the vst versions of classic studio hardware and pro tools effects.

Lexicon, Eventide and others...

Those that didn't.... Roland never made a Fantom VST (and they didn't make a new MV yet...) Kurzweil hasn't ported the Rumor yet...

It's all good, no losers in the plugin game, no fair to name ones that haven't ported INTO the format yet!!
Old 4th November 2014
iZotope is on the way to get one of the worst, with their new "upgrades"
Old 4th November 2014
Can we please keep the iLok discussion out of this thread? There are already 4 very recent threads about it already.
Thanks.
Old 4th November 2014
Lives for gear
I have a love hate relationship with NI.

I always swear I'll never buy another one of their products, they always drop support for them at some point, the support is patchy and often they're just plain mean :-)

The only problem is their products are just so darn great.

This year alone, I've bought from NI - Maschine MKIi and Komplete 9 - then upgraded it to Ultimate in their "summer sale"

Doh.

Best for me would be,

Slate
Softube (very nice people)
DMG
Old 7th November 2014
Lives for gear

Best:

Xfer
Exponential Audio

Worse:

Wavesfactory (terrible support)
Old 7th November 2014
Lives for gear

Best:

Xfer
Exponential Audio

Worst:

Wavesfactory (terrible support)
Old 7th November 2014
Lives for gear

Best - Slate Digital, DMG Audio (Dave is a genius!) and Softube. There are many more (u-he, Soundtoys, IK, Fabfilter, Kush (if pusher preset system worked!).

Worst - iZotope (for one reason only, Ozone 6), Waves (politics, WUP and the tons of 15 - 20 year old rip-off plugins that lose out to your average free offering nowadays).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search