The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
3 Best/Worst Plugin Companies To You - 2014 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Goodman View Post
Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvanda View Post
I get the feeling that a lot of people who complain about WUP don't actually own any Waves plugins
I do own waves plug ins all tho I am trying to sell them. If I drop a couple of grand on plug ins I don't want to keep paying to upgrade them. Bad business IMO.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Well you'd pay to upgrade a lot of things... Cubase, Windows, basically-every-piece-of-software-on-the-planet. Plug-in upgrades people seem a bit tetchy about for some reason, I'd rather pay to upgrade them (if I actually have a requirement to do that) than Waves retire old plugins and stop development. Would your opinion be different if say you bought FabFilter Volcano 1, then they release Volcano 2 and stop dev on ver. 1, you have to pay to upgrade, you get more features, but if the sole reason is that you need an AAX version you're paying for it regardless of the additional features. Very few things would you pay for and expect lifetime support, research, development, hundreds of man hours behind the scenes, etc, at no additional cost. It's like buying a DVD player and expecting Sony to switch the drive out to Blu-Ray just because you've spent a load of money on it and don't want to keep paying to upgrade it.
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Goodman View Post
It's like buying a DVD player and expecting Sony to switch the drive out to Blu-Ray just because you've spent a load of money on it and don't want to keep paying to upgrade it.
Or is it more like buying a video game that is updated for free because they found problems with it?
Old 20th March 2014
want to put in my plug for Soundtoys customer service. Dan helped me out w/ getting me a new license on a free product! hardly
a good use of his time, but he helped me anyway!!

oh and Massey rules.

marty
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamHat View Post
Or is it more like buying a video game that is updated for free because they found problems with it?
One is update and one is an upgrade.
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonkified View Post
Honorable mentions: Kush Audio, Slate, Cytomic - sound great, but where in the world is AAX?

Thanks for the honorable mention, and thanks to everyone for the amazing support, I had no idea we were on so many people's top3, it's humbling :-)

FWIW, we dropped the UBK-1 64-bit AAX (Native & DSP) today. The other plugs are in the pipeline, but I only have one guy to do all the AAX work so it takes time, and AAX was generally a clusterf**k in terms of development.

Generally, the companies that got it done the quickest were the ones that do their own coding because they are coders, or they're big enough to have coders on staff.

For those of us who design analog boxes in a cave and have no appreciable dsp skills, things move a wee bit slower... but we do get there!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Maniac

Best: Fabilter (great customer service), Massey (great demo system), SKNote (good communication).

Worst: Waves.
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Maniac

Best: Fabilter (great customer service), Massey (great demo system), SKNote (good communication).

Worst: Waves.
Old 23rd March 2014
Here for the gear

Best: ToneBoosters, Valhalla, HoRNet

Worst: FXpansion
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Best - Valhall

Worst - Tritone digital
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Maniac

Best - Spectrasonics: world class products, great attitude

Worst - Steinberg: total ****e
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZJETSON View Post
best UAD - there plugz are really good!

Worst UAD - They basically charge you for updates. They just call it revision
I was wondering why UAD renamed my 1176LN and LA-2A plugins to a "legacy" designation. What does that mean?
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Head

Best: UAD UA 610 & API Channel Strip with Unison preamp integration technology.

Worst...has yet to come.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Favorites - FabFilter, iZotope, Softube, NI, Algorithmix, Spectrasonics, G Force (still love IMPoscar), Valhalla, Slate and Fxpansion

PITA - Waves, Arturia, EW (Play is the worst sample interface ever made), TC, and anything that cannot be easily uninstalled on a mac.

Liked but don't use anymore - UAD, YellowTools, Waldorf,
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Best NI

Worst Nomad Factory for that stupid don't crack slogon!!! Actually had some good plugins(some)...don't crack killed their marketing... We kept telling them...
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Thanks for the honorable mention, and thanks to everyone for the amazing support, I had no idea we were on so many people's top3, it's humbling :-)

FWIW, we dropped the UBK-1 64-bit AAX (Native & DSP) today. The other plugs are in the pipeline, but I only have one guy to do all the AAX work so it takes time, and AAX was generally a clusterf**k in terms of development.

Generally, the companies that got it done the quickest were the ones that do their own coding because they are coders, or they're big enough to have coders on staff.

For those of us who design analog boxes in a cave and have no appreciable dsp skills, things move a wee bit slower... but we do get there!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Thx Greg for dropping in and showing love and explaining how and what your company does when creating plugins.
I'm sure AAX is hell, and I as I'm sure many others appreciate you still doing RTAS for those of us that have not made the move to PT 10/11.

Thanks,

Marc
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

A lot of discontented fxpansion users. I love their software mostly - just their business practises" a wonder if they're watching?
Old 24th March 2014
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinderArts View Post
Liked but don't use anymore - UAD, YellowTools, Waldorf,
Yeah, YellowTools was great. I still own their Majestic bass library, which sounds fantastic. However, it also is 32-bit only, so I tried to install the "update" by Magix who now distribute the YellowTools libraries. What a nightmare: I had to download the entire library again, and after installation Logic crashed every time when opening the new player. I wrote to Magix support and included my license number. They wrote back stating the crashes were perfectly normal and expected (!), since I didn't have a license number! Unbelievable. Most incompetent tech support ever. I subsequently deleted all Magix files from my system and bought the NI Scarbee Rickenbacker instead.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Top 3:
HorNet, ToneBoosters, SKNote - fabulous products for little money

Bottom 2:
Soundtoys - for wanting me to install the iLok manager for a free plugin
Anyone who thinks that intermittently playing a burst of static at 0dBFS is a great way to demo a plugin
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbird View Post
soundtoys wants a street address, a telephone number, and other personal info for a freeware plugin....sorry but that puts them closer to the bad side to me...because they do things like that.
Just want to poke my head in here (after spending the last few months deep in design and development for little primal tap). Even though we give these plug-ins away for a couple of weeks, they're far from 'freeware', and soon become part of a paid product.

I put as much time and attention into developing this temporarily 'free' product as any of our other products. It's an incredible amount of work, and a labor of love for myself and everyone on our team. Hopefully creating an account on our website isn't too much to ask.

- Ken
Old 24th March 2014
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBToys View Post
Hopefully creating an account on our website isn't too much to ask.
It is not too much to ask, but I also don't think that's the point. I didn't download your freebee either. Personally, I very much dislike companies collecting personal data without any justification - except for mailing unsolicited advertising, I suppose.

Then there's that iLok thing. It is a technological straightjacket.

I suggest trusting your (potential) customers a little more. If they like what they hear in a freebee, they will come back with cash in hand. Guaranteed.

Take NI for an example: All they require for demos and freebees is an email address to deposit the links to the downloads.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Yeah, YellowTools was great. I still own their Majestic bass library, which sounds fantastic. However, it also is 32-bit only, so I tried to install the "update" by Magix who now distribute the YellowTools libraries. What a nightmare: I had to download the entire library again, and after installation Logic crashed every time when opening the new player. I wrote to Magix support and included my license number. They wrote back stating the crashes were perfectly normal and expected (!), since I didn't have a license number! Unbelievable. Most incompetent tech support ever. I subsequently deleted all Magix files from my system and bought the NI Scarbee Rickenbacker instead.
how do you like the Scarbee Rickenbacker?
Old 24th March 2014
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz View Post
how do you like the Scarbee Rickenbacker?
It's fantastic. Makes me want to buy a real one.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBToys View Post
Just want to poke my head in here (after spending the last few months deep in design and development for little primal tap). Even though we give these plug-ins away for a couple of weeks, they're far from 'freeware', and soon become part of a paid product.

I put as much time and attention into developing this temporarily 'free' product as any of our other products. It's an incredible amount of work, and a labor of love for myself and everyone on our team. Hopefully creating an account on our website isn't too much to ask.

- Ken
Quote:
It is not too much to ask, but I also don't think that's the point. I didn't download your freebee either. Personally, I very much dislike companies collecting personal data without any justification - except for mailing unsolicited advertising, I suppose.

I suggest trusting your (potential) customers a little more. If they like what they hear in a freebee, they will come back with cash in hand. Guaranteed.

Take NI for an example: All they require for demos and freebees is an email address to deposit the links to the downloads.
....and thats exactly it. What could possibly be more personal than wanting to know where someone lives?

If a person doesnt have a product coming i cant see how this would be relevant. You may as well be asking for the VIN number off of my truck..... there is probably less risk in giving out a VIN.

The main problem is that the ONLY thing that can come from it is BAD. I can think of NO benefit, but 10 potential problems without even a seconds thought.

Ilok doesnt bother me. Everyones got to have copy protection and IMO none is any worse than another....until it cost me more money.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Ni offesr the best copy protection and they trust there customers.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

nothing forces anyone to get an excellent, temporarily free plug-in.
welcome to WhineSlutz.

(i've been a SoundToys customer for years, and never received any unsolicited mail)
Old 24th March 2014
Azu
Gear Nut

Quote:

So the reason of the moaning is possible unsolicited advertising through mail.
NI could do the same thing when asking for your mail.

Never received unwanted mails from any of these companies...and if it where the case i would happily trade cleaning my mail for some of this great products.
But its not the case. I only get great products.
Old 24th March 2014
well there is also a potential security risk with this information being held by companies like this. just look at companies like Sony who have lost the private data of 100,000s of people through online hacking
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

TBH I would just put my name and an address (but not MY address) problem solved. If you are that worried about giving out your address, use a fake one (oh and don't EVER get anything delivered to your address I suppose unless you trust amazon or any seller on ebay etc etc with your data more than soundtoys)
If it's free but there are conditions, I can take it or leave it tbh. My choice.
If I offered my music as a free download but wanted in return a database of potential clients for purchases and so kept their contact info, I'd be pissed off if someone thought that was wrong of me and didn't just not download my free album, but felt it was something to complain about.
Not everyone is selling data.
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

funny about email paranoia stuff, With all my aax upgrades i had to find out about through PTexpert or here.
almost all never sent an email blast to their users.really
so much for collecting/using info

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search