The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
3 Best/Worst Plugin Companies To You - 2014 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Best -

Valhalla - great products, great prices, Sean feels like a user first, developer second

Slate - for the great products. Not so great is the model of announcing products ahead of time. Steven "Check out my new VMR!". Us "When's it out?. Steven "No idea, I only just had the idea now." It's like announcing your newborn baby the minute you get an itch in your nut-sack. * note - I will no doubt end up buying it because I am sure it will sound great like his other products. I just think the unnecessary hype adds nothing.

URS - ditto for Valhalla

But seriously, most developers are great so it is hard to single out only a few

Worst -

Arturia - I love the fact that when everyone started going ape about their customer service, they sent someone on to KVR to defend themselves. However, evidently, that person then thought "I'm getting too old for this sh*t" and hightailed it out of there. They have never been seen since to defend their nonexistent customer service. This is a pity because when SEM V works, it is actually a really nice sounding soft synth. * note - hopefully this goading will prompt them to appear in this thread to answer their critics.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegel View Post
My top 3:

Slate
UAD
Waves

I don't have a bottom 3 because obviously I don't use their plugins if they are that bad.
Good one!!!
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Antares Harmony Engine Evo! They want to charge me for the 64 bit version for those unnatural sounding harmonies!

My 20 year old DigiTech Vocalist sounds way more natural and its a digital code like the Evo. So a 64 bit version with no better sounded voices is just a port!

Maybe Slate can make a good human voice emulation plugin? And when its launching it say BABY WHY YOU DO THIS TO ME, YOU CAUGHT MY I E I E I'S SO I CANT SEE!!!
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmontano View Post
Best -
Hornet plugins , great little utilities at awesome prices
Thank you! this means the world to us, we just try to make useful stuff that everybody can afford

Saverio
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoRNet View Post
Thank you! this means the world to us, we just try to make useful stuff that everybody can afford

Saverio
Your tools are all about keeping the mind focused on music, what you guys do are the things that make plugins special and unique.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothjazz View Post
Soundtoys :D

Because they do things like this:

https://www.soundtoys.com/sxsw2014/&rc=405-6058-631
soundtoys wants a street address, a telephone number, and other personal info for a freeware plugin....sorry but that puts them closer to the bad side to me...because they do things like that.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmontano View Post
Best -
fxpansion for raising the bar for drum vsts with bfd3
Steinberg - love Cubase and Halion
Hornet plugins , great little utilities at awesome prices
OK now I'm interested in these Hornet plugins. I don't want to hijack this thread, but which are your favorites? Have you tried Sybilla, and if so, what did you think?

Which reminds me to add ToneBoosters to my favorites list. Good sound, inexpensive, easy copy protection, nice developer, regular updates.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Nut

Good ~ Waves, Softube, Slate, SoundToys, PSP, Eareckon i.e. great service and stability

Bad ~ Fxpansion (expensive transfer costs, lack of updates), IKM as there is currently no reward system for current customers i.e. upgrades from T-Tracks Grand or newer plugins (though I have contacted Peter, of which he states they wll be looking into it).
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Best: UA - best sounding
Worst: UA - No Win AAX 64 this late in the game
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Best thread on GS: Other threads because many of them contain something of interest

Worst thread on GS: This one 'cos it encourages **** talking

Amidointirite?
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsam View Post
Best thread on GS: Other threads because many of them contain something of interest

Worst thread on GS: This one 'cos it encourages **** talking

Amidointirite?
Yes, because nothing good ever comes of providing feedback right?

Best comments in this thread - those providing praise and criticism to various developers that could be used to either improve or stay the course

Worst comments in this thread - those complaining about the thread despite the fact that they could have deduced the content of the thread by the thread title itself and not clicked.
Old 15th March 2014
Best:

uHe - (Undisputed Champion) Zebra2 and Diva could cover everything I do. Urs is here and on KVR answering my questions in person. Gives away free software (TyrellN6, Zebrallete, etc) that sounds better than plenty of crap that costs >$100. It may be coincidence. Perhaps I am just getting better, but suddenly when I started using Satin, I started getting a lot more compliments on my mixes. Suddenly there is more room, more depth, kind of a big change.

Valhalla: Could charge double or triple and everyone would still buy up his plug-ins. Say Valhalla three times and Costello will be there in the thread at some point. These plugins deliver too. They all sound great, and easy to use. If I have an idea in my head about how the reverb should sound for a particular instrument, I can always get it just right. Get compliments on my use of reverbs.

Soundtoys: can't comment on customer service but then again, have never had a problem with anything. They sound better than any delay, and phaser, any filter, any anything. Can dial in complex delays and filter modulation that would take a lot longer using other similar plugins. Microshift , holy cow.

FabFilter: Best limiter. Best gate. Best multiband compressor. Best clean EQ. Twin2 is no slouch. Their compressor is a mainstay in my mixes for sidechain duties in mid-side mode.

Softube: best analog modeled EQs and saturation. CL1B and their FET compressor are all over my stuff.

Audio Damage: because no one has mentioned them. Cool little plug-ins at a great price. When I bought one that wasn't working properly in LogicX, the developer gave me a free plugin, and emailed back and forth for a couple of weeks until he fixed the problem.

Worst:

Waves: There are a couple I like. RenComp. API2500. But they are the only developer to give me **** when trying to use their plugins on more than one system. Very difficult to get it done, and took quite a while, and still doesn't work properly. Hate their business model of charging outrageous prices and then having "sales" which is the only time anyone would ever consider buying anything.

Arturia: I'm sorry, a lot of people think the V Collection is great, but I don't. I try to make use of them because I own them, but there is really never a time I can't work up a patch in Diva or Zebra that sounds a lot better. The GUI's are horrible on the CS-80 and Jupiter. They have a lot of work to do in future updates, if they don't abandon the whole project and focus on their hardware lineup. I probably am going to sell it. Luckily got a good deal on it.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

best;

-Toneboosters; great stuff, no bugs, great prices and frequent updates
-Rob Papen; I had an issue and they solved it in one day, plus free products for clients like the great new RP-Amod.
-Klanghelm, Valhalla, Voxengo, Tone2, Hornet, good stuff and communication
-Waves; great value if you buy on sales, had good experience with their service.

worst

-Emu; bye bye emulator X, I will miss you, give my regards to the soundcard
-Waves, the great value for money will come to haunt you, therefore I keep their stuff at a minimum and that doesn't feel right. I guess it's (I won't say the word) not a problem if you got a big bundle, but with just a few singles bought on sale it (the w*p) is out of proportion.
Hope they will see the light one fine day.
-Steinberg/Yamaha, not all customers are as dumb as you think they are.
-Native Instruments; Kore
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Best: Valhalla, Cytomic
Old 15th March 2014
FFH
Gear Nut

Best:
UAD
Valhalla
Sonimus
Worst:
Skynote (Holds the record for the longest "Coming Soon" in the world.)
Sonnox
Anyone not making products for OSX.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

PSP: just seem like nice humble people and their stuff is usually great.
Slate: not that humble and the plugins can be unstable and buggy. Sometimes the sound quality really can't be denied though. Wouldn't wanna mix without VTM at the moment.

Valhalla: probably gets more love than any company around here. I'll probably be alone saying this but I can't get VRoom to sound anything but thin and grainy, especially transients get really ugly tails a lot of the time. VVV is my goto however, but it's less 3D than my old Roland in my rack.

Fabfilter: ProQ has made mixing easier. That's worth a lot.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by apartment dog View Post
-Steinberg/Yamaha, not all customers are as dumb as you think they are.
I will always love my Cubase, but this is a lesson that they should consider. The digital recycling gets a bit questionable.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Best: Slate, DMG, Kush

Worst: Acustica Audio (Nebula). If it wasn't for the forum community, I would still be trying to figure out how to load a preset.
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Nut

I'm really surprised to see Waves making most of the "Worst" list. Most of their stuff is "okay", but the CLA Comps, C6 and Bass Rider are usually in most of my chains.

IK Multimedia has been a company to watch. I'm diggin' their recent bus comp.

Can't really think of a "worst" company. Most plugins I seek out are ones that have been recommended to me.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Just wanted to see what your thoughts were on the best/worst Plugin Companies that actually listen or don't listen to customers here or at other forums.
This means with overall customer support problems via phone and/or email/forums.
Also, please say why you feel this way. Hopefully, most of them (Plugin Companies) can come here to either say thanks or comment to dispute and/or defend/apologize as to why.
Of course, customer support is the most basic but most important tool to be successful in any business.
Applying this criteria the WORST without any serious competition must be URS.

Not once have I EVER had a reply to emails I've sent them.
Ghost ship....

Other companies (which I will not name) at least engage in email discussion when you contact them about something you are not happy about.
You end up agreeing to disagree but at least there is dialogue.
Old 17th March 2014
Here for the gear

Audiobro has pretty good customer support. As far as bad . . . Arturia stuff is always a nightmare to install/register. Don'y know about their support, but it's not too encouraging when the products are sloppy to start with
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delitzsch View Post
I'm really surprised to see Waves making most of the "Worst" list. Most of their stuff is "okay", but the CLA Comps, C6 and Bass Rider are usually in most of my chains.
I agree, Waves make great sounding plugins, that sound really analog, and their support is amazing. They replied to some emails in 20 min on a sunday.
If you can get them for cheap, then they are well worth it.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluttypat View Post
I agree, Waves make great sounding plugins, that sound really analog, and their support is amazing. They replied to some emails in 20 min on a sunday.
If you can get them for cheap, then they are well worth it.
Until your WUP runs out.
Old 19th March 2014
Best: Valhalla, U-HE, NI, Waves, UAD
Worst: IK Multimedia, Crysonic
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

I have very few plugins that I use but the IK Multimedia ones I have have been excellent and over 3 new installs (new computer and user changes and it has gone smoothly)
I use the EQ and Comp that come with the custom rack and amplitube (for guide tracks) . They sound excellent to my ears.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamHat View Post
Until your WUP runs out.
Why?
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Head

Best: UAD, SoundToys, FabFilter, Sonimus
Worst: too many
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Spectrasonics.

Because after ALL these years, they still take care of me if I need replacement discs or help. Just wish they would release more stuff...
Old 19th March 2014
I get the feeling that a lot of people who complain about WUP don't actually own any Waves plugins
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Addict

Best:
1) Propellerheads
2) Toontrack
3) Slate

Worst:
none for 2014...yet

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search