The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
3 Best/Worst Plugin Companies To You - 2014 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 19th December 2016
  #331
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
One reason I don't like I-lok is the instance issue. I have a dual DAW system, so if I only have one instance of an I-lok I have to pick what DAW gets to use it.

I may test out the Bluecat routing plug as a work around for this.
I don't understand your situation (dual DAW?)

But most developers grant you two activations (=licenses), so you can run two DAW with that plugin at the same time. Why would you have to choose which DAW is using "it".

I have two DAWs (two computers, one in the studio, one at home - two iLok dongles). And all my iLok-plugins are activated on both dongles = on both computers = they can run simultaneously.

One developer I know of, that give you only one activation per buy is Flux:::
I had to buy that one plugin, I wanted from them, twice. Quite pricey
Old 19th December 2016
  #332
Here for the gear
 

I won´t ever have the time to know and try every company and software on the market, so I´m not able to tell
who is the best or worst but here are my favourites:

- Steinberg
They simply make the most important tools for creating, shaping and controlling sound and music. Cubase, Wavelab, Halion.. so impressive and excellent pieces of software.
The steinberg devs are really professionals, the marketing guys the extreme opposite.
- Rob Papen
One of the most underrated companies. Their plugins are so powerful and carefully crafted.. brilliant.
Rob and his entire team are very nice and helpful people, I hope to see many more innovative and useful plugins from them in the future.
- Soundiron
They know exactly what they do, amazing instruments and infinite sound sources and material to get your job done and much more..
Their customer service is also perfect.
- TwistedTools
Very innovative and modern software if you´re into "hi-tech" sound design.
- SampleLogic
They create very powerful and cutting-edge sound libraries. Perfect for cinematic music production.
I wish they would allow sample import, this would open a heaven´s gate for sound designers.
- Xfer Records
Another great company with amazing tools and potential.
I once asked Steve for help and he replied within a minute.

- Zero-G, Izotope and Output are for me the most aggressive advertisement mail spammers of all time.
Although they might produce really good stuff and I´m interested in new products and products on sale, I couldn´t stand their aggressive marketing anymore and had to unsuscribe.
I´m pretty sure they will loose a lot more customers in the future if they continue the spam.
Old 23rd December 2016
  #333
Gear Maniac
 
Quasar's Avatar
Not qualified to say "best", but can say favorite, which is based on a combo of high quality VIs and plugs, non-invasive copy protection, fair pricing and great customer service:

Indiginus

Impact Soundworks

ToneBoosters

Orange Tree Samples

Bolder Sounds

Soniccouture

MeldaProduction

ValhallaDSP

Soundiron

Worst are everyone who require dongles/3rd party monitoring drivers, which means they are not products that I will consider, regardless of price or quality.
Old 23rd December 2016
  #334
Lives for gear
New year coming up

Best:

Goodhertz: clever, effective, useful, innovative, unique

Tokyo Dawn labs: Innovative. Excellent tool to hype ratio

Klanghelm: A miracle, like a little oasis, like the quiet car on Amtrak. Wait you mean i just buy it and install it and it works really well?


Worst

Slate--I can't hear you! Too much hype! Constant Gobbling noise as well. Do I sound exactly like CLA yet?

SKnote--lots of new products, all of which have weird glitches that never get fixed. Inexpensive, and worth every penny

Softube--for going with Gobbler
Old 24th December 2016
  #335
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB+J View Post
Softube--for going with Gobbler
OK, I give up. Why is that so bad? As a Softube owner how does that affect me? I don't see it.
Old 24th December 2016
  #336
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB+J View Post
Softube--for going with Gobbler
The good news is that you can still download standalone installers at https://www.softube.com/index.php?id=mydownloads
Old 24th December 2016
  #337
Lives for gear
 

Best:

1.Acustica-Audio
2.Tokyo Dawn labs
3.DMG Audio

Worst:

1.SKnote
2.Slate Digital
3.Avid
Old 24th December 2016
  #338
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
OK, I give up. Why is that so bad? As a Softube owner how does that affect me? I don't see it.
I have two softube plugins I like a lot.

To get to my account with softube, I now HAVE to register with Gobbler

why is that bad?

1. Gobbler initially offered itself as a backup service. Then it lost the data of thousands of people because it didn't pay its storage bill. And they lied about it. There's a thread about it here. So: not trustworthy.

2. Gobbler's app does not work on my computer--not sure why, have tried updating, have wasted time on it, still doesn't work.

3. I didn't choose Gobbler--softube chose it for me, also slate chose it for me. Now to access the plugins I already bought--for, say, updates--I have to go through Gobbler. See points 1 and 2.

4. Gobbler is a storefront masquerading as a "service." It's there to manage subscription sales, and forcing me into Gobbler is a way of pressuring me into subscribing. If you like the subscription model you aren't bothered by this. I don't like the subscription model and did not choose it.

So bottom line: an unreliable and annoying layer of sales and "registration" and data sharing has been placed between me and products I already bought.
Old 24th December 2016
  #339
Tui
Gear Guru
 
Tui's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgimian View Post
The good news is that you can still download standalone installers at https://www.softube.com/index.php?id=mydownloads
I just tried this. In order to get to my installers, not only do I have to create a Gobbler account, I also have to give them my iLok ID. Why?

Gobbler knows this is intrusive and doesn't feel right. So, they posted an explanation/justification:

"Why link accounts?
Marketplace uses the PACE licensing platform to manage subscription authorizations. Connecting your accounts will allow us to provide you with the best user experience. Gobbler will not have access to your PACE password, or be able to make changes to your perpetual licenses. To authorize your subscriptions with the Gobbler App, you'll need to have an iLok User ID linked to your Gobbler account.
We really want you to feel comfortable with us so here is our CEO's email - [email protected]. If you have further questions send him a note. He's more than happy to give you further details. Your trust in us is important and we know we have to earn that."

No, Gobbler, I do not trust you.

Softube: Thanks for nothing. See you later.
Old 25th December 2016
  #340
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB+J View Post

So bottom line: an unreliable and annoying layer of sales and "registration" and data sharing has been placed between me and products I already bought.
Thanks for explaining. I didn't know about this. May I suggest that we complain as loudly as possible? I will.
Old 25th December 2016
  #341
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustmedia View Post
I don't understand your situation (dual DAW?)

But most developers grant you two activations (=licenses), so you can run two DAW with that plugin at the same time. Why would you have to choose which DAW is using "it".

I have two DAWs (two computers, one in the studio, one at home - two iLok dongles). And all my iLok-plugins are activated on both dongles = on both computers = they can run simultaneously.

One developer I know of, that give you only one activation per buy is Flux:::
I had to buy that one plugin, I wanted from them, twice. Quite pricey
The MIDI Daw is Sonar to to MIDI work and host soft synths (VST3's like BFD). But I don't do the Audio work there. But Audio does need to be slung and sub mixed real time before sent to Soundscape

For Audio I use Soundscape because it runs native with drivers for the converters/MADI and for the simplicity and non destructive nature of the Audio editing. It works great as the tape machine. Lot's of SSL EQ and compression are available without using any CPU power. All on MX4 cards, and it sounds wonderful. I can also use VST2's with it.

I sling 32 tracks of Audio from Sonar to Soundscape for the E-drums.

I would Like to use Lexicon PCM in both platforms. Sure I can use as many instances I would like, but only with a single host. Even w/ two MX4 cards, running at 96K I have to watch my routing counts to maintain 24 IO converters and 32+ins from Sonar.
Old 25th December 2016
  #342
Lives for gear
 
GeneHall's Avatar
While I'm hardly qualified to say who's best and who is not, this has been my experience in 2016

Best
1. UAD - continually delivering top quality products and a simple seamless authorisation system
2. KUSH UBK - Remarkable plugins, it's a better experience when buying, the subscription service via Gobbler has been tedious and constantly a source of interruption..including sending me service interruption notices 3 days after having paid the month in advance. One more plugin purchase from KUSH and I'm dropping Gobbler permanently. I will never ever put myself through another experience with that company again. I seriously doubt I will ever crack a new project open ever again that does not contain at least 2 KUSH plugins.
3. Overloud - Between their beautiful modelling software TH3 and the extraordinarily superb Breverb 2 plugins, these guys have become one of my favourite builders. Always helpful with any support needs and always managing to produce high quality plugins that are extremely user friendly
(4.) Soundtoys - Because they are Soundtoys and they do everything right.
(5) PSP - Because they are PSP and they have always done things properly and still deliver some of the best bargains and quality to be found, barr none.

Worst:
While I have no first hand complaints about any plugin' subjective quality or taste, I do think there are plugin manufacturers whose customer service and authorisation processes make them less than worth any hassle , especially when there are so many quality builders who also know how to treat customers and provided excellent support and service. Without naming any of the companies whose perspectives towards customer relations have turned me off, it did help me to realise I can do so much more with so much less than I thought possible.

Last edited by GeneHall; 25th December 2016 at 06:50 AM..
Old 25th December 2016
  #343
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshalev View Post
Worst:

1.SKnote
2.Slate Digital
why sknote and slate digital?
Old 26th December 2016
  #344
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltercruz View Post
why sknote and slate digital?
Promises,promises,promises
Old 26th December 2016
  #345
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshalev View Post
Promises,promises,promises
I don't own either of their wares, but from what I can see, there might in fact be a lot of promises, however there's also a ton of good stuff that's been released out there by each of the two.
Old 5th May 2017
  #346
Worst : Softube

I don't need Gobbler account to deal with the subscriptions, I need the plugin installers that i already bought.

Kush and Exponential Audio use Gobbler to their subscriptions but they do not force to make Gobbler account.
Old 5th May 2017
  #347
Lives for gear
 

Worst 3:

IK Multimedia: messy site, strange "jam-point" system

Sonnox: see https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...l-creator.html

Softube: one word explains all. Gobbler.

Honorary mention: Celemony, abondoned their customers, finished user Forum



Best 3:

Loops de la Crème: most sympathetic one man company, Julien very responsive, always friendly

Sonic Charge: great, innovative products, always willing to serve

Audio Ease: willing to help, even when its users bad

Honorary mention: AAS, friendly Canadian

NOTE: I haven't found necessarily correlation between the quality of the products/customer service.
Old 5th May 2017
  #348
Lives for gear
I truly must be missing what's so terrible about Gobbler, to me it's just another account. Perhaps someone could enlighten me and others?
Old 5th May 2017
  #349
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgimian View Post
I truly must be missing what's so terrible about Gobbler, to me it's just another account. Perhaps someone could enlighten me and others?
Is that so.
What's your opinion, where do you need an additional operator between the end-user, developer and authorizing company (PACE)?
And are you willing to give to that additional operator your iLok password?
If you don't care, I guess that Gobbler is for you.
Old 5th May 2017
  #350
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_O View Post
Is that so.
What's your opinion, where do you need an additional operator between the end-user, developer and authorizing company (PACE)?
And are you willing to give to that additional operator your iLok password?
If you don't care, I guess that Gobbler is for you.
Just to be clear, I wasn't attacking or disrespecting anyone in my post. I am asking a genuine question as I never understood the problem, so thanks for explaining your concern. You're right, my iLok account is indeed linked to my Gobbler account and that is indeed a bit concerning.

I just re-linked my account and see that it does the following:

Gobbler will be able to:
* Manage your licenses for you (activate or deactivate) within their application. <- this is a huge concern
* Support license management of other participating publishers' software.

Gobbler will not be able to:
* See, store, or change your password.
* Edit your account in any way.
* Change your licenses without your permission.

Has anyone posed this question to Softube?
Old 5th May 2017
  #351
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgimian View Post
Just to be clear, I wasn't attacking or disrespecting anyone in my post. I am asking a genuine question as I never understood the problem, so thanks for explaining your concern. You're right, my iLok account is indeed linked to my Gobbler account and that is indeed a bit concerning.

I just re-linked my account and see that it does the following:

Gobbler will be able to:
* Manage your licenses for you (activate or deactivate) within their application. <- this is a huge concern
* Support license management of other participating publishers' software.

Gobbler will not be able to:
* See, store, or change your password.
* Edit your account in any way.
* Change your licenses without your permission.

Has anyone posed this question to Softube?
If you do a search "Gobbler" in Forums such as the Gearslutz or the Kvr, you will soon find out that there's plenty of discussion concerning this subject. And yes, e.g. I have contancted to the Softube several times, no effect.
Although you can read about those Gobbler rules, just do a test to yourself: if some new, unknown operator says "write here your bank account user and password/data, we link your account to our system, but don't worry, we don't missuse your information", would you say, OK, I will, right away. Or would you have second thoughs.
The iLok account may be worth if several 1000 dollars.
Old 5th May 2017
  #352
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgimian View Post
Just to be clear, I wasn't attacking or disrespecting anyone in my post. I am asking a genuine question as I never understood the problem, so thanks for explaining your concern. You're right, my iLok account is indeed linked to my Gobbler account and that is indeed a bit concerning.

I just re-linked my account and see that it does the following:

Gobbler will be able to:
* Manage your licenses for you (activate or deactivate) within their application. <- this is a huge concern
* Support license management of other participating publishers' software.

Gobbler will not be able to:
* See, store, or change your password.
* Edit your account in any way.
* Change your licenses without your permission.

Has anyone posed this question to Softube?
If it's a concern for you and you work online, you can block Gobbler with a firewall. On Windows, you change the settings, and on Mac you can either block Incoming Connections in System Preferences or buy an app to extend to Outgoing. I use Radio Silence, $9. Even if there is a link, I won't be affected.

I kind of understand a certain degree of Orwellian fear, but this practice has not pierced my threshold. Safeguards do exist. If non-public personal information were at stake, I'd change my stance. However, it's a User ID, nothing more.
Old 5th May 2017
  #353
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiKLover View Post
If it's a concern for you and you work online, you can block Gobbler with a firewall. On Windows, you change the settings, and on Mac you can either block Incoming Connections in System Preferences or buy an app to extend to Outgoing. I use Radio Silence, $10.

I kind of understand a certain degree of Orwellian fear, but this practice has not pierced my threshold. Safeguards do exists. If non-public personal information was at stake, I'd change my tune. However, it's a User ID, nothing more.
Its not Orwellian at all. Its pure common sense. Do yourself the "Gobbler test" (see above).
Old 5th May 2017
  #354
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_O View Post
Its not Orwellian at all. Its pure common sense. Do yourself the "Gobbler test" (see above).
I don't need to as I block Gobbler if working online, and as stated the only info shared is a User ID.
Old 5th May 2017
  #355
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiKLover View Post
I don't need to as I block Gobbler, and as stated the only info shared is a User ID.
If you know how to register the Softube product, with the reg.number gotten from the dealer purchase, without giving Gobbler both your user and password of the iLok account, please explain it here.
I was thrown away (see the last screen shot) when I refused. I have paid Softube plugin I can't use.



Old 5th May 2017
  #356
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_O View Post
If you know how to register the Softube product, with the reg.number gotten from the dealer purchase, without giving Gobbler both your user and password of the iLok account, please explain it here.
I was thrown away (see the last screen shot) when I refused. I have paid Softube plugin I can't use.



The last Screenshot only asks for a User ID, as stated three times now. This practice does not pierce my threshold.
Old 5th May 2017
  #357
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiKLover View Post
The last Screenshot only asks for a User ID, as stated three times now. This practice does not pierce my threshold.
You got this wrong. The last screen shot shows how I was thrown away because I didn't want to give my iLok account password. See all the screen shots, its authentic, cronological documt of an attemot to register my Softube plugin.

The normal (how this SHOULD HAPPEN)
iLok protected product registering procedure is, when you buy from the dealer:
1. You get the product code with the purchase
2. You register the product to the developer site and give at the same time your iLok USERNAME
3. The developer sends your registration to the PACE
4. The PACE inclyudes the license to your iLok account
5. You find your license in your iLok Manager.

In the Softube's case this is not possible.
You have to LET THE GOBBLER DO THE AUTHORIZATION.
You have to give your iLok PASSWORD to the Gobbler.

But where do we need the Gobbler, once we have the PACE?
Old 5th May 2017
  #358
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_O View Post
You got this wrong. The last screen shot shows how I was thrown away because I didn't want to give my iLok account password. See all the screen shots, its authentic, cronological documt of an attemot to register my Softube plugin.

The normal (how this SHOULD HAPPEN)
iLok protected product registering procedure is, when you buy from the dealer:
1. You get the product code with the purchase
2. You register the product to the developer site and give at the same time your iLok USERNAME
3. The developer sends your registration to the PACE
4. The PACE inclyudes the license to your iLok account
5. You find your license in your iLok Manager.

In the Softube's case this is not possible.
You have to LET THE GOBBLER DO THE AUTHORIZATION.
You have to give your iLok PASSWORD to the Gobbler.

But where do we need the Gobbler, once we have the PACE?
You are authorizing on PACE's site, not Gobbler's. You only enter your User ID on Gobbler's site.
Old 5th May 2017
  #359
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiKLover View Post
You are granting authorization on PACE's site, not Gobbler's. You only enter your User ID on Gobbler's site.
I would do that in the PACE site, INSIDE my PACE account.
Now, if you look at the screen shot above, its Gobbler who ask this information.
If the Softube had wanted to do this in the correct way, if they really will have this strange Gobbler operator with, Softube should direct the customer to his iLok account, and the customer does all linking from his account, not by letting some Gobbler do it.
This requires of course deal with the PACE, that they create that option to the PACE site/client account.

Now, in the PACE site there is no information about the Gobbler. How transparent is that?
Old 5th May 2017
  #360
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_O View Post
I would do that in the PACE site, INSIDE my PACE account.
Now, if you look at the screen shot above, its Gobbler who ask this information.
If the Softube had wanted to do this in the correct way, if they really will have this strange Gobbler operator with, Softube should direct the customer to his iLok account, and the customer does all linking from his account, not by letting some Gobbler do it.
This requires of course deal with the PACE, that they create that option to the PACE site/client account.

Now, in the PACE site there is no information about the Gobbler. How transparent is that?
You were redirected to PACE's site. Also, per PACE's Privacy Policy:

Protection of your Personal Information

"The personal information that you provide in connection with registering yourself as a user of PACE products or services or registering a PACE product, such as your login password, is classified as Registration Information. Registration Information is protected in several ways. Access by you to your Registration Information is available through a password and unique User ID selected by you. We recommend that you do not divulge your password to anyone. In addition, your registration Information resides on secure servers that only selected PACE personnel have access to via password. PACE strives to prevent unauthorized parties from viewing such information when it is transmitted to PACE."

PACE would not allow Gobbler to obtain your password via this process. You are not entering your password on Gobbler's site. Again, you were redirected and authorization was given on PACE's site. Furthermore, in their Terms of Use Section:

"Vendors will only be provided access to enable them to determine which licenses for their products reside on your iLok, but not any other product licenses you might have from other Vendors."

For the fifth time, you only give Gobbler your User ID. Additional concerns should be directed to PACE.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump