The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
3 Best/Worst Plugin Companies To You - 2014 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 20th December 2015
Lives for gear

Uad worst?
Also, I can't see wup making waves a worst either. They make some outstanding plugs.
IMO

3 best. Hmmmm. I can probably think of 10 but.......
1. Klanghelm
2. Kush Audio
3. Uad

Not sure if I have 3 worst. I normally demo 1st. If I don't like...I don't buy. I did have a problem installing Amber eq by Acustica. Never got it working. Slate could go on both lists. I guess I was kind of hating cause I hate sales pitches and he's a marketer
But his rack is really damn good. Ending up purchasing 4 slate plugs this year. Waited way way too long for vcc but can't deny how good it is. Will probably purchase all plugs available for the rack. Sknote also has some nice plugs that could land him on the best list as well. Few others. Blank.....
Old 20th December 2015
Tui
Gear Guru

Best:

NI
Eventide
Softube

Without those three, I just couldn't do what I'm doing right now. I'm so grateful, in fact, that I want to walk over to their HQs and thank them personally.

Yes, NI has somewhat patchy tech support. The first person that answers your ticket - usually after a delay of a few days - may not seem very knowledgable or caring. But, in my experience, eventually any real bugs get reported up the chain and dealt with for the next update. That happened to me on a couple of occasions with Kontakt.

Worst... Ah well.

BTW: Why are we posting in a thread about 20*14*..?
Old 27th December 2015
Deleted User
I think waves need to stop wup for those with less than the ones with larger bundles. I have bass rider, ssl 9000, cla compressor and ADT. 300.00 yearly isn't a deal. If you buy waves singular plugins even on sale isn't a sale. Not saying they are bad sounding plugins but when they are out of date Ill take the loss.
Old 28th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpinkbirds View Post
The worst:::
CAMEL AUDIO. I can't download the exe for the products I paid for anywhere
You can full on blame Apple for that. They shut all that down after purchasing Camel Audio.
Old 14th January 2016
Lives for gear
...Honestly after trying everything listed above I vote for anything PSP Audioware. Best quality to value ratio.

Everything else mentioned are great but you will aways find debates happening Slate vs Uad etc. which always ends in "A" is better than "B" indefinitely. When in reality "A" was better than "B" in that one instance. This definitely stagnates creativity itb. Endlessly A B'ing, finding the perfect emu when we should just grab something and go.

In most cases you can't compare PSP's offering to the competition because they sort of stand on their own. Great sounding eqs, compressors with tons of utility, and all the bells and whistles needed to just grab something and keep moving. So what it should boil down to is how much am I spending for quality with the least amount of hassle and PSP wins in that department. They can be had for as low as $30 secondhand.

My mixes
5% Fabfilter Saturn (I use it everywhere!)
30% UAD (Pres and Compressors only, added bonus to use on the way in)
65% PSP Audioware
Old 28th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
You can full on blame Apple for that. They shut all that down after purchasing Camel Audio.
Actually that wasn't really necessary in my eyes. I mean they informed everybody more than 6 months ahead, in different online forums I read about it, so all user had plenty of time to do their own backup (I did). Still, Apple could have just took over the old files and left them online for download purposes only. No biggie.
Old 28th January 2016
Lives for gear

Top 3:

Waves
Soundtoys
UAD
Old 28th January 2016
Lives for gear
Top 3:

1) Slate
2) Fabfilter
3) Uad

Bottom 3

1) Spectrasonics
2) Spectrasonics
3) Spectrasonics

My hatred began after the surprise transfer fee of $50 when i wanted to sell one of their plugins.
Old 5th April 2016
Gear Head

Top 3:

Airwindows
Motu MasterWorks
Motu Plugins DP9
Old 9th April 2016
Lives for gear

Top 3:

1. Plugin Alliance
2. Cableguys
3. HoRnet

Honorable mentions: Slate, Kush, Xfer records

Worst 3:

1. UAD
2. UAD
3. Wavesfactory
Old 10th April 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto View Post
... sending Arturia a tech support ticket is akin to peeing in the wind….
Sorry to report this is still true. I've held back from sharing here, but they've lost a good customer. As an owner of 4 of their products I expected better service. The fact that they've ignored my communications is infuriating. I go back to the initial release of the analog factory, and will never break bread on another product with their name. Anyone who asks... I'll suggest they bark up another tree.
Old 10th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Judah View Post
Sorry to report this is still true. I've held back from sharing here, but they've lost a good customer. As an owner of 4 of their products I expected better service. The fact that they've ignored my communications is infuriating. I go back to the initial release of the analog factory, and will never break bread on another product with their name. Anyone who asks... I'll suggest they bark up another tree.
yeah, they are no bueno at that for sure. I definitely point people away from their stuff as a result of their rudeness. So they have not only lost me as a customer, but hopefully others as well, and maybe someday they will learn.
Old 10th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry to report this is still true.

I feel your pain trust me. If you really need a solution, try to find Ben from Arturia here. You can look at similar Arturia complaint threads here and find Ben and PM him.

He heads up the Arturia Beta testing, and unlike Arturia support, he will try and help you.
Old 10th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post

I feel your pain trust me. If you really need a solution, try to find Ben from Arturia here. You can look at similar Arturia complaint threads here and find Ben and PM him.

He heads up the Arturia Beta testing, and unlike Arturia support, he will try and help you.
yeah, ben has been active on some of these threads, and I feel for him, he seems to be a straight up guy working for a customer be damned company.....
Old 1st June 2016
Here for the gear
I have to also disagree about MOTU. I have DP9 and MachFive 3 and they are the two most stable things I own. I'm on a Mac.

My two cents:

Best:
iZotope
NI

Worst:
Nothing so far
Old 2nd June 2016
Lives for gear

My big three right now...

FabFilter (An unmatched UI, unique yet insanely intuitive controls. Sounds great and CPU hit is crazy low)

iZotope (Music Production Bundle is chock full of goodies. Their all-in-one workflow are a pleasure to work with, especially Ozone. So much to love about iZotope)

Waves (huge library of plugins, lots of duds, but lots of unique gems in there too. And plenty of great sales!)

My not-so-faves...

Anything that requires iLok. I like to fly peripheral-free.
Old 2nd June 2016
Deleted User
Best: Plugin Alliance, Klanghelm, and equally Tokyo Dawn and Toontracks

Worst: Companies I just don't use anymore.
Old 2nd June 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Update - finally got in touch with someone and they took care of the problems I was having. The person I worked with, Jerome, is a class act.
Old 3rd June 2016
Lives for gear

Updated for 2016??

Best:
1. Xfer Records -- Steve Duda
2. u-he
3. UAD

fxpansion is in the running, and I love Slate Digital and Valhalla as well. All terrific.

Worst:
1. Over the years I've had the most difficulty with Arturia. Here's hoping they are already improving.
Old 3rd June 2016
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto View Post
yeah, they are no bueno at that for sure. I definitely point people away from their stuff as a result of their rudeness. So they have not only lost me as a customer, but hopefully others as well, and maybe someday they will learn.

Sorry to hear that. I had 4- 5 times contact with their support. Always fast and kind. It's interesting how experiences are so different. I wonder how that can be?
Old 5th June 2016
Best:
U-He
Soundtoys
Klanghelm
Sonimus

Worst:
I don't work with stuff i think its not good
But i had a bad experience with Fxpansion: Im thinking on their high re-sale fees and and how they treat customers. But i must admit that I love BFD3 sound!
Old 5th June 2016
Lives for gear

BEST
1. Plugin Alliance - free forever updates and even new formats. Great value and fast customer service! This is the company that I am most in awe of with the way they operate!
2. Softube - fantastic plugins, free forever updates, great customer service.
3. McDSP - fantastic plugins and customer service. They even gave me complimentary licenses of v5 HD when I upgraded to v6 to ensure TDM compatibility (v6 dropped TDM support) when I run live sound on an SC48! Much props for that!

WORST
Companies with cumbersome license transfer policies, nickel and diming, poor customer service, and IP rip offs. You know who you are!
Old 22nd August 2016
Lives for gear

Best:

PSP Audioware -- just this weekend got another reminder of why they top my list. I was taking advantage of their Xenon sale offer and ran into a process glitch--I emailed PSP about it last night and they had it fixed by the time I woke up this morning. Their policy of discounting prices based on how many plugs you already own is also a brilliant way to foster customer loyalty. Last but not least, the plugs are excellent and unique.
Valhalla -- great reverbs, great prices, and Sean's erudite and generous participation in this forum speaks for itself.
Audioease -- prices are a little steeper than the others, but they deliver quality to match, and their customer service rivals PSP's.

Honorable mention: Stilwell, MOTU

Worst:

Native Instruments, just for replacing their wonderfully usable and great-sounding standalone Hammond organ VI, B4, with a "Vintage Organs" instrument that runs only in The Most Ugly, Unwieldy, Opaque User Interface Ever Devised by Humans, also known as Kontakt.

I don't really have any other bad experiences. I'm neutral on UAD--love the plugs, hate their refusal to drop the dongle.
Old 22nd August 2016
Gear Guru
I would like to give a shout out to Soundtoys. They didn't work with Mixbus. I complained to CS and Dan Rome got back to me and promised to look into it. He followed up and told me they'd have an engineer freed up to check it out. Voila! the latest update of Mixbus works. Great service and classy company.
Old 22nd August 2016
Gear Maniac

PSP audioware is my go to. They're customer support is great.
Klanghelm is really good as well.
Old 22nd August 2016
Gear Head

Acustica Audio..

I have used waves, uad, ik, fabfilter, none of them come close to acustica audio... they all missing that depth and 3d sound...
Old 22nd August 2016
Gear Maniac

Best: (in no particular order)

- Native Instruments (their products are of such high quality, their prices reasonable, their upgrade paths generous, their christmas freebies actually good, their customer service responsive)

- FabFilter (same as NI: their products are of such hight quality, their GUIs and workflow amazing, their discount system good)

- Valhalla (great quality products, great customer service, props for being present here on GS)

- Slate (great quality products, great customer service, props for being present here on GS)

- DMG Audio (incredible products, great customer service, props for being present here on GS)

Worst:

- Avid (Bad pricing policy, bad customer service, product development zenith was many years ago)

- Waves (I can't be bothered with the fiftieth useless signature series, not innovative, how many compressor plugins can one company possibly release until they think it's enough?, they never ever expand/update existing plugins - once released, that's what it is, no features will ever be added even if the plugin could be made better in future iterations)
Old 23rd August 2016
Lives for gear

Best: Apple, how they've really come to the plate with updates starting at 10.1 with Drum Machine Designer, updated (and fully, properly) functioning VCAs, the refreshed, vector-based GUIs & dbx compressor model, and most importantly Alchemy in 10.2

UAD -- recent entrant here, Classictunz pushed me over the edge, and top rate service and customer contact from Gannon. I was already in the market for a new interface. Some of the more recent compressors that are really good such as the Manley Vari-Mu, as well as some the staples such as the Neve 33609 (if you can really call it as such,) are high on my list. I'm still having good fun demo'ing products to fill out the discounted bundle purchased during the initialization process.

KVR & Xfer are tremendous at supporting customer and the promotion of acquiring knowledge.

The worst: hard to say, no god-awful experiences. I get ticked off at how heavily Iris 2 has been discounted after I shelled out 250 USD, only to see it for less than 100 USD a year later. I suppose some Ozone Advanced users are saying the same. I'm ticked too, and I own Standard.
Old 23rd August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Middleton View Post

Worst: .... The Most Ugly, Unwieldy, Opaque User Interface Ever Devised by Humans, also known as Kontakt.
With you on that one.
Old 23rd August 2016
Nice topic ... but I guess the main focus should be on the end product sound quality rather than stability and support and updates because once the quality is there everything gets sorted out.
I would have to mention the best ones are in no specific order

Soundtoys (Great Tone and versatility)
Slate Digital (Except the VCC ...)
Cytomic (The Drop has got fantastic filters)
Waves (The Greg Wells Bundle is amazing)
Plugin Alliance (Try the Millenia Compressor if you don't believe me)
u-HE
Native Instruments
Acon Digital

Peace !

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search