The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Messe 2014: Toontrack announces EZdrummer 2, (Available May 6th) Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 12th March 2014
News Desk Editor

Messe 2014: Toontrack announces EZdrummer 2, (Available May 6th)

Today Toontrack announced the second generation of the world's most successful drum production software; EZdrummer 2.

"This is not just an update or a new digit added to the logo, it’s a completely new program, overhauled down to the tiniest detail”, said Peter Knutsson, Toontrack’s CEO. “The release of EZdrummer 2 will not only be a milestone in the history of our company, it will be the day we add a new meaning to what the music industry commonly refers to as a ‘drum sampler’.”

EZdrummer 2 introduces a host of revolutionary songwriting features, the market’s most intuitive user interface, a completely remodeled audio engine, a new mixer with easy-to-use effect chains, two all-new mas- sive sound libraries as well as a selection of percussion. “The whole design approach behind EZdrummer 2 was to erase any technical barrier standing between song- writer and creativity,” said Erik Phersson, Toontrack’s head of development. “Looking back, it’s amazing how many extremely powerful features we managed to incorporate and still retain the overall ease of use. EZdrummer 2 is truly a marvel of how interaction design, smart functionality and cutting-edge sounds can work in perfect symbiosis.”

Toontrack also reported that coinciding with the release of EZdrummer 2, the entire line of sound library expan- sions (EZXs) will be modernized with completely new effect chains and graphics optimized for EZdrummer 2. With the 20 currently available titles spanning anything from jazz to extreme metal, the EZdrummer user base has access to by far the most extensive and versatile catalogue of drum sounds on the market.

“We are extremely proud to not only introduce a breakthrough in drum production software, but at the same time renew the whole EZdrummer Line. This is without a doubt the most massive launch we have ever undertaken”, said Peter Knutsson, Toontrack’s CEO.

Quote:
IMPORTANT INFORMATION
On May 6 2014, EZdrummer will no longer be available for purchase. It will be replaced by EZdrummer 2.

EZdrummer 2 is a completely new program including a host of groundbreaking songwriting tools, new drum and percussion sounds, a much improved audio engine and much, much more. Read the full press release here.

If you purchase EZdrummer now you will automatically receive a free upgrade to EZdrummer 2 (available on release). This offer expires on May 6 2014.

All audio and MIDI content from the currently available version of EZdrummer will be converted into a regular EZX expansion (available May 6, 2014). This as well as all other available EZX expansions will be modernized with new graphics and effect chain presets optimized for EZdrummer 2 (available May 6, 2014).

WELCOME TO AN ENTIRELY NEW EZDRUMMER LINE!

Official world-wide release date: May 6, 2014. List price: $179, €139.
Upgrade price: $99, €79.

Link : https://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=7
Attached Thumbnails
Messe 2014: Toontrack announces EZdrummer 2, (Available May 6th)-10013879_305359369614838_1462914498_n.jpg   Messe 2014: Toontrack announces EZdrummer 2, (Available May 6th)-1010589_305359289614846_1213553658_n.jpg  

Last edited by Grahamdwc; 20th March 2014 at 02:41 AM..
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Alright alright alright ;-) So this is the Game changer? Nice update , looking forward to download this one ;-)
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Funny, I have been wondering when Toontrack upddates EzDrummer and Superior. I guess Superior will be next?
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Nut

When I first saw this, I was nonplussed. I really like Toontrack's drum samples, but I want to pick and choose and layer from different kits. This means either using their crippled (and aside from one recent update, seemingly abandoned) Beatstation software or the needlessly complex X-Drum remapping in SD2. Figured I'd just wait until SD3 is announced and keep my fingers crossed that they'd have a better layering implementation...

But then I actually read the specs =

"Enhanced flexibility with the ability to use separate elements from the EZX libraries"

Hooray!

And perhaps even better =

"Improved loading times" and "Real time sample rate conversion"

Hopefully they got the EZ load times down to the Superior levels (I know that sounds really weird to bring something "down to the Superior level"... but SD loads kits a million times faster!)...

So looking forward to this update!
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Is this really what they consider a game changer??
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

This is just what EZDrummer needed.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Addict

EZdrummer 1 is on sale until today. I wonder if there will be a grace upgrade period.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Addict

EZ drummer 1.5
Old 12th March 2014
Here for the gear

Well hello beautiful
Old 12th March 2014
Here for the gear

I like Toontrack for writing. They're midi libraries seem to be the most well thought out, even though they could still use some work. The picture of the new arranger looks promising. I'm digging it and can't wait to see what they do for SD3!
Old 12th March 2014
Here for the gear

I like Toontrack for writing. They're midi libraries seem to be the most well thought out, even though they could still use some work. The picture of the new arranger looks promising. I'm digging it and can't wait to see what they do for SD3!
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Love it.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
I like Toontrack, but this is not really a game changer.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Addict

Yeah, not a game changer - but that new gui looks sweet
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear
I like EZDrummer, maybe better than superior drummer, which I also have but which i find more annoying to use and I get no better results. Both of them could use an interface upgrade. I'll probably buy this
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

I'm kind of excited by this and I've always been a superior user. Although it probably means theres a big update coming for superior drummer as well. There's a lot of great sounding drum libraries on the market now, and logic/garageband even come's with some really good one's included. Toontrack is still king when it comes to MIDI files and I'm still a big fan of bouncing down audio files and treating the drums like real audio tracks.

Toontrack have come a hell of a long way since they started out, so I'm guessing this will be a great product for what its worth.
Old 13th March 2014
Administrator

OP Updated!
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

With the percussion things top right of screen, it looks like they have borrowed some ideas from NI. I really don't like this arranging "drag midi blocks here" field that's lifted directly from the EZKeys series.

I can't believe anyone would prefer to do their drum programming in this field rather than the DAW of their choice.

I just hope that superior is not heading the same way, because that's what I'm using. Give me a new superior where I quick and easy can use any drum from my toontrack libraries and I will pay top dollars. Die X-drum die.
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Leaf View Post
I can't believe anyone would prefer to do their drum programming in this field rather than the DAW of their choice.
It's a great feature for those who want to create drum parts and do not have a supported DAW
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

This looks really cool. I cannot wait to see more, especially a demo video of the new features mentioned!
Old 13th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Leaf View Post

This is honestly just a pure guess, but I imagine you can still drag your midi into a DAW track. It would be crazy if you could not. I prefer working in a DAW too.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmontano View Post
EZdrummer 1 is on sale until today. I wonder if there will be a grace upgrade period.
Yes, and it looks like it might be cheaper to by a second EZDrummer now, then get the free upgrade, than to just upgrade at the release price.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Something that I wish Toontrak would change is allowing the user to store the samples in the hard drive of their choice...like Superior does. As it stands, if you install EZ Drummer in your C drive, your samples have to automatically go in the C drive too.

I have an SSD C Drive and don't like to put samples in it.

Anyone know if this will change?
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
This is honestly just a pure guess, but I imagine you can still drag your midi into a DAW track. It would be crazy if you could not. I prefer working in a DAW too.
Yes, I'm sure you can. What I meant was that if the gamechanger is some drumedit light within EZdrummer (and some other dull changes) then we can all go back to sleep.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
Something that I wish Toontrak would change is allowing the user to store the samples in the hard drive of their choice...like Superior does. As it stands, if you install EZ Drummer in your C drive, your samples have to automatically go in the C drive too.
I have my EZ drummer libraries installed on a separate disk. I don't remember how I did it, but I don't think it was anything unusual than doing a custom install.

If that doesn't work for you, you can change the library location in the registry.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post

I have an SSD C Drive and don't like to put samples in it.

Anyone know if this will change?
You can already do this using Toontrack's EZmover utility. I have all my EZXs on an external drive and it works great. It's a little quirky because it works like their standard installer but when it asks where you want to install the files, it actually means "where do you want to move them to" and if you don't select a new directory, it responds with a very terse "rtfm"-type warning. But it does exactly what you're looking for nonetheless!
Old 14th March 2014
Here for the gear

I think the new audio engine and user interface will be worth it alone. Hopefully the loading time issue will be resolved too!

Dolphin are offering the free upgrade from EZdrummer:

EZdrummer 2 announced by Toontrack | Dolphin Music
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny91 View Post
I think the new audio engine and user interface will be worth it alone. Hopefully the loading time issue will be resolved too!

Dolphin are offering the free upgrade from EZdrummer:

EZdrummer 2 announced by Toontrack | Dolphin Music
Just for the sake of clarity, I believe the free upgrade is only for new EZDrummer 1 customers, older users will have to pay the upgrade fee.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Just for the sake of clarity, I believe the free upgrade is only for new EZDrummer 1 customers, older users will have to pay the upgrade fee.
That is correct, as stated on their site. People who buy EZ Drummer 1 between now and release date will get the free upgrade.

For existing EZ Drummer owners, the upgrade is $99. Note that that is MSRP. Between their sales, and dealer discounts like at audiodeluxe.com, the upgrade could be much cheaper.
Old 14th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yutaka View Post
I have my EZ drummer libraries installed on a separate disk. I don't remember how I did it, but I don't think it was anything unusual than doing a custom install.

If that doesn't work for you, you can change the library location in the registry.

You can determine where EZdrummer1 installs at the time of running the EZdrummer installer (on PC). Manually moving wont work for PC. Manually editing your registry is something you shouldn't do unless you know exactly what you're doing.

SoundMover is for Mac users only

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search