The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Messe 2014: Toontrack announces EZdrummer 2, (Available May 6th) Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 30th March 2014
Lives for gear

If they're working on SD3 they'd be sure not to reveal it so they can sell more copies of the new EZD. Seeing how so many on GS "need" the newest, latest everything (preorder! preorder!) I suppose it makes it easier for Toontrack and others to vacuum up cash from early adopters... then sell them the new superduper uniquely-featured superior SD3 when it comes out too. Not my money, go for it!
Old 30th March 2014
Sorry BS.
They are not currently working on Superior 3, black and white fact, end of story.
Old 30th March 2014
Lives for gear

Did Toontrack said they EOLed SD or that no work whatsoever is being done on an SD update? Where are you getting your very definitive information?

Last year one of Toontrack's techs said on its forum that "there are no imminent plans for the next iteration of Superior" and this month a forum moderator when asked about SD3 said, "Looks like mum's the word. I don't have any information on new products." "No imminent plans" and "mums the word" does not equate to "They are not currently working on Superior 3, black and white fact, end of story" so who told you there's no work being done on SD3?
Old 30th March 2014
Yeah, I have a couple of Toontrack products.
They are not working on Superior 3 right now.
I can't say when they will start…. in one month, in six months, in one year? I have no idea.
But it would take a while to do the work.
You are guessing.
It is the truth that they have no current plans to release a Superior 3. That could change, but as we speak about EZD2, no there is no S3 in the pipeline.
Old 30th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
They are not working on Superior 3 right now.
I can't say when they will start…. in one month, in six months, in one year? I have no idea....It is the truth that they have no current plans to release a Superior 3.... no there is no S3 in the pipeline.
I asked you specifically how you came to believe so rigidly that, as you claim, "They are not currently working on Superior 3, black and white fact, end of story." Repeating your blanket pronouncements does not make them more believable, especially since there's apparently no public Toontrack assertion that says what you say.
Old 30th March 2014
Whatever.
You're guessing, and advising someone on their purchasing decision based on zero facts.
carry on if you must, but I've told the truth as it stands.
Old 30th March 2014
Lives for gear

What garbage, chrissso. Toontrack isn't making the claims you are, and I quoted people working for Toontrack who decidedly did not corroborate what you claim, and it's compounded by you avoiding supporting your claims... more than once.
Old 30th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry BS.
They are not currently working on Superior 3, black and white fact, end of story.
So Chris, is the plan to phase out SD and have EZ be the only product? I suspected they would migrate towards that. Ideally they would do the same as Vienna Instruments does and sell each kit with all articulations and bleed, and allow the user to either pay less for a limited set (EZ) or more for the fully unlocked set (SD). Or, essentially allow the engine to function like Logic X - a less-featured EZ mode for newbies, and more in-depth engine for tweakers.
Old 30th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
So Chris, is the plan to phase out SD and have EZ be the only product?
I have no inside information on that, but I personally doubt it.
EZdrummer sells a lot more than Superior though.
They see EZdrummer as a songwriting tool, hence the emphasis on the new song creator feature. They still see Superior as the pro drum tracking style product - the software alternative to having a real drummer in your studio.
Old 30th March 2014
Lives for gear

I'm pretty sure we won't see SD3 for at least 2 more years.
Old 30th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
I have no inside information on that, but I personally doubt it.
EZdrummer sells a lot more than Superior though.
They see EZdrummer as a songwriting tool, hence the emphasis on the new song creator feature. They still see Superior as the pro drum tracking style product - the software alternative to having a real drummer in your studio.
Thanks for your input, Chrisso.

I have SD2 but to tell you the truth i could really benefit from the EZ2 Songwriting featrues right now. And i really can imagine that the EZ line sells much better. This is absolutely ok.

My point is that there is probably no plans for a upgrade from SD2 to EZ2. Because i will not pay the full price just because i have SD2 and not EZ1.

Maybe we can convince them that a songwriting tool and having a real drummer in the studio is not a contradiction. And i cannot say now that i will really upgrade to a possible SD3. With all that possibilities right now i ask all the time myself do i really need that? And i ahve to say yes to EZ2 - already convinced.

And what i would make it even more easier to buy EZ2 immediately is that if SD3 is out and i have both EZ2 and SD2 that this upgrade will be honored somehow. But i think it could get to complicated. Another idea would be to let the SDX run for SD2 users inside of this EZ2. But i cannot estimate the administration efforts and it is Toontracks right to earn money efficiently.
Old 30th March 2014
Lives for gear

Evilaci, what would be a fair price for a crossgrade? You can buy EZdrummer 1 right now for $149, which gets you the free upgrade to 2, which includes 2 new expansion packs built in. Or you can wait for a sale snd get it for less at some point.
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear
The new browser is SO GOOD it is a shame that Superior can't have that feature!

I have Superior and EZ already with quite a few expansions...

If I were a buyer today - EZ2 is the product to get. Feature set is huge over the older ones...
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpchartrand View Post
Is this really what they consider a game changer??
I did not see "Game Changer" in the press release
https://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=7
Old 31st March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
The new browser is SO GOOD it is a shame that Superior can't have that feature!

I have Superior and EZ already with quite a few expansions...

If I were a buyer today - EZ2 is the product to get. Feature set is huge over the older ones...
I agree. The search function in that video seems amazing. I also have EZ and Superior… When this comes out Ill be willing to bet that i do all of my composing in EZD 2 then drag the MIDI to PT and then switch to Superior 2 for use of the SDX's.
Old 31st March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Evilaci, what would be a fair price for a crossgrade? You can buy EZdrummer 1 right now for $149, which gets you the free upgrade to 2, which includes 2 new expansion packs built in. Or you can wait for a sale snd get it for less at some point.
The same like EZ1 Users get.

Sale of course i can wait. But "I" have no problem to pay the official prices if i need sth now.....

Please dont missunderstand this a whining. I´m really looking forward to seeing the upcoming videos for EZ2. At least until the EZ2 announcement i had the Rock Warehouse on my wishlist.
Old 6th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Great! Do you know how the new EZ drummer will do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Modisette View Post
You won't have this problem anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by *$%($*(@!!
<SNIP>
One thing that's always been missing for me with EZ drummer and sd2 is a way of keeping track of where the grooves came from in the library. When I go back to a project I often have no idea where I got the grooves from and have to hunt around, just another thing to take you out of the workflow... One workaround is to name the midi regions in the daw (logic pro x for me) but I always forget to do that in the heat of battle. Addcitive Drums has it's favorite pane, which lets you save grooves which is helpful for when you come back later....
Old 6th April 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
I did not see "Game Changer" in the press release
https://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=7
The "game changer" bit was part of Toontracks pre announcement build up.
Old 6th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Will EZ2 be able to use third party midi? I have a lot, groove Monkee, etc. I think the info was that the tap to find function won't be able to access third party midi (at least for now) but will I be able to use third party grooves at all with EZ2?
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by *$%($*(@!! View Post
will I be able to use third party grooves at all with EZ2?
You can now of course. So if they eliminated it for EZ2 that it would be a huge loss.

I'm taking it for granted they don't do something like that.
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear
I even wonder if there will be a SD3!
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
I even wonder if there will be a SD3!
If they even hinted there would be an SD3 I would hold off buying EZD2. However I'm probably the only one who would do that.
Old 8th April 2014
Gear Maniac

The other thing that's always been missing for me with Ez2 is e producer presets that you can get for SD2, I use those a lot, some really usable stuff there that let's me get the right vibe for a track. I wonder is EZ2 might have presets like SD2?
Old 8th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
You can now of course. So if they eliminated it for EZ2 that it would be a huge loss.

I'm taking it for granted they don't do something like that.
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by *$%($*(@!! View Post
The other thing that's always been missing for me with Ez2 is e producer presets that you can get for SD2, I use those a lot, some really usable stuff there that let's me get the right vibe for a track. I wonder is EZ2 might have presets like SD2?
Those producer presets are pretty extreme!

I always find them too OTT.
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Maniac

I must be an extreme kind of guy. Who doesn't know ****e about producing drums. SD2 often sounds a little flat to me straight out of the box... Not always...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Those producer presets are pretty extreme!

I always find them too OTT.
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

I'm not sure there is anything wrong with extreme. I suppose it's all in your expectations. What I feel wrong with Toontrack drum producer packs is the QUANTITY of these packs when you purchase them. The quality is just fine, but for the price, I would expect a lot more.

I purchased the Charles Feelgood pack and like them, but for me it's not worth the price. I'll never purchase another pack unless they combine every producer pack and Audiodelux discounts it.

Funny how Toontrack never mentions the number of presets included in these packs.
Old 9th April 2014
They should be free IMHO.
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

I would love a SD3 with a layout where you could mix kits without having to use X-drum...dauym that would be nice..Or even be able to load in wav-files.
Old 29th April 2014
The EZdrummer 2 page is up. With loads of info, demos, videos and lots of nice pictures of the studio and drums.
EZdrummer 2 | Toontrack

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search