The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Messe 2014: Toontrack announces EZdrummer 2, (Available May 6th) Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 14th March 2014
Here for the gear

If you can mix and match from EZX's to make custom, layered kits, etc, it's a pretty brainless update... if not gamechanging. With the variety of the EZX libraries, depending on how quickly you can get a custom kit layed out, this would be my goto for songwriting and getting the sound more or less in place. I'm pretty sure the new arranger won't keep you from dragdropping parts into your DAW etc. That would be backwatering to the extreme.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

I should have mentioned I'm on a PC. I dont want to mess with the registry. is there any way to move the samples to my D drive and keep the program on the C drive? You can do this with superior but last I checked with EZ you had to keep the program with the samples.

if anyone knows of a solution other than going in the registry I would love to know how.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

You won't kill your computer by doing some changes in the registry, especially when it's just changing a path.

You have to keep the program with the samples when EZD is concerned. It's not a big deal at all. And yes, the only way to do it is changing the registry. So buckle up! Simple change, you have to edit two keys:

HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Toontrack\Superior\EZDrummer\HomePath

HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Toontrack\Superior\EZDrummer\SoundPath
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
You won't kill your computer by doing some changes in the registry, especially when it's just changing a path.

You have to keep the program with the samples when EZD is concerned. It's not a big deal at all. And yes, the only way to do it is changing the registry. So buckle up! Simple change, you have to edit two keys:

HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Toontrack\Superior\EZDrummer\HomePath

HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Toontrack\Superior\EZDrummer\SoundPath
Thank you. Any idea why Toontrak originally didn't allow the user to place their samples where they wanted to? As mentioned, they did allow it with Superior. I will look into this as an option even though I'm not experienced when going into Windows registry.

My specific issue is my SSD C drive is quite full, and if you own most of the EZ packs, that is a substantial amount of samples that really should be on the sample drive. I might wait until I get definite word from Toontrak that they are not going to change this with the new series.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

greggybud, I have looked at my install, and apparently I just installed the whole ezdrummer package on another drive, while the VST and toontrack solo are installed on regular locations on C drive. It works fine, and keeps the sample on another drive.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Addict

Mix and match from different libraries?

Only thinking about all the room/phase issues that would accour gives me an headache.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Nut

Looks like some FAQ's were posted.

EZdrummer 2 - FAQ
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yutaka View Post
greggybud, I have looked at my install, and apparently I just installed the whole ezdrummer package on another drive, while the VST and toontrack solo are installed on regular locations on C drive. It works fine, and keeps the sample on another drive.
If you mean installing all of EZ drummer on my D drive yes of course I could do that. But it would be the only application in my drive..the D drive that is reserved for samples only. All my other applications are on my C drive. sort of breaks up the consistency of keeping all programs on 1 drive.

This isn't a huge issue. I could buy a larger SSD for the C drive. I think I will wait it out and see if this has been changed.
Old 16th March 2014
Here for the gear

Now I totally understand how it would suck to be the guy who buys 1st version on May 5th and then have to pay for the upgrade May 6th. BUT, I strongly feel that $100 for an upgrade on a product that WE ALL helped make popular is a slap in the face. It might not feel like a strong slap to some, but to others it feels like a restraining order slap. Idk. Maybe they should think of a way to give people free upgrades if they have purchased X-amt of midi packs and expansions? Rather than saying hey, give us $100 instead of $180 for the upgrade. Gee...thanks? So are these discounted expansions even worth it right now? Or should we wait?

Last edited by ej7smith; 16th March 2014 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: site I saw with discount price was wrong
Old 16th March 2014
Not another Gearslutz moan about not getting something free.
Why did you buy those EZdrummer sample packs and midi-files, as a loyalty program, or to use them in your music?
If it's the latter you've probably had your money';s worth.
Incidentally, EZdrummer 2 is all new drum recordings by one of the top record producer's from America in arguably London's best studio.
You're paying for the new software program and the new recordings, then you get free new versions of all your old EZdrummer expansions. OK?
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny91 View Post
Dolphin are offering the free upgrade from EZdrummer:
Everyone is offering a free upgrade if you buy EZD1 now. It's even noted in the original post in the thread.

That said, it was tough slogging through that video and Toontrack's breathless copy ("revolutionary songwriting features.... truly a marvel of how interaction design, smart functionality, and cutting-edge sounds can work in perfect symbiosis") just to see what was different about EZD2. New engine (we'll have to see what that actually changes), swapping in sounds from different libraries, UI design tweaks and... what else? Doesn't seem like an immediate must-have upgrade, so I'll wait for other people to be the guinea pigs and report back.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Just bought EZ drummer 1 a few day ago. A free upgrade would be cool!
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Addict

Ezdrummer was on sale before the announcement so those that bought probably aren't in much of a worse position than buying this week because the price went up. I'm sure third party retailers will have the upgrade for less than 99 making it pretty much a wash cost wise if bought before the 13th.
Old 16th March 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmontano View Post
I'm sure third party retailers will have the upgrade for less than 99 .
From what I've heard you will probably be looking at $149/€129 for the full version and from $89/€69 for the upgrade through third party resellers.

Graham.
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Not another Gearslutz moan about not getting something free.
Why did you buy those EZdrummer sample packs and midi-files, as a loyalty program, or to use them in your music?
If it's the latter you've probably had your money';s worth.
Incidentally, EZdrummer 2 is all new drum recordings by one of the top record producer's from America in arguably London's best studio.
You're paying for the new software program and the new recordings, then you get free new versions of all your old EZdrummer expansions. OK?
Totally agree.

Im a superior user and I only purchased EZdrummer about 2 months ago because it was always on sale for so cheap and I thought it would be nice to have for quick mobile work. I bought EZdrummer for $79…. half price... and I don't expect a free upgrade considering there is a new drum library included.

Even Steven Massey's plugin upgrade prices are going up. I just paid $30 or so, for AAX versions of my massey plugs… I remember being extremely happy that my AAX update for Superior and EZkeys was free.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear
I just bought the superior drummer crossgrade, and now I'm sorry I did. I don't actually like superior drummer that much--having the extra pieces of kit is nice, but it's buggy on my mac and pieces of kit tend to drop out randomly. And the X drum thing is not very useful, and the interface is a squint for me.

Wish I'd know about this upgrade before I pulled the trigger
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Having the samples on a separate hard drive helps a lot with Superior Drummer. Don't know if you have it set up that way.
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB+J View Post
I just bought the superior drummer crossgrade, and now I'm sorry I did. I don't actually like superior drummer that much--having the extra pieces of kit is nice, but it's buggy on my mac and pieces of kit tend to drop out randomly. And the X drum thing is not very useful, and the interface is a squint for me.

Wish I'd know about this upgrade before I pulled the trigger
Buggy on Mac? Sounds like you need to update to the latest version of Superior… that or turn off cached mode in Superior.
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Addict

I hope all the EZXs are updated to 24bit. I really don't like that nasty 16bit sizzle as the sound trails off, especially on softly played stuff. It's put me off buying more EZXs.
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Nut

I just set up a new computer and I am in the process of installing all of the EZX libraries.

I am a Windows PC user and you can set up the resources for EZdrummer where you want them. The only drawback is that along with the samples, it also stores the graphics and midi in the same folder trees.

Once you set this up it will automatically install the EZX libraries in the same way.

In this new computer I have my resources on my Samples (F:\ drive. My ezdrummer.dll lives in a VST Plugin folder on my Win7 C: drive.

FWIW, I can't recall any way to move an existing EZdrummer library without hacking the registry and I'm not sure that method is possible or advisable. FWIW, I'm an early adopter of EZdrummer and I've been on the betatest team for something like 7-1/2 years so hacking the registry is not something I fear. That said, I usually do a complete uninstall and begin the drudgery of installing ALL of the libraries using the available installer.

If you want to move your libraries and you think you will buy the EZD2 upgrade, I would wait till you have EZD2 and then uninstall all EZDrummer and it's libraries and then start fresh.
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Modisette View Post
In this new computer I have my resources on my Samples (F:\ drive. My ezdrummer.dll lives in a VST Plugin folder on my Win7 C: drive.
This is exactly what I want! But I was told it was not possible to separate the samples from the program...when doing the initial install! Is this not correct?

However it is possible to separate the samples from the program in Superior.

I could simply reinstall everything except the .dll to my sample drive, even though that would be the only program that exists in the sample drive as opposed to my C drive. But as you suggest it might be best to wait at this point.

My only point for all this is to free up my C drive memory. I have most all EZ drum packages, and those samples take up a lot of space on my SSD.
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear
I have both SD2 and EZ drummer samples on a separate drive and the program on the C drive. I set it up this way when I installed everything.

If you've already installed EZ + samples on your C drive and it won't recognize EZX packs that are in another place, just reinstall EZ drummer and set it up correctly. From there, you can just drag the samples/midi content of the EZXs to that folder and the program will see the new samples.
Old 20th March 2014
Here for the gear

Old 20th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
This is exactly what I want! But I was told it was not possible to separate the samples from the program...when doing the initial install! Is this not correct?

However it is possible to separate the samples from the program in Superior.

I could simply reinstall everything except the .dll to my sample drive, even though that would be the only program that exists in the sample drive as opposed to my C drive. But as you suggest it might be best to wait at this point.

My only point for all this is to free up my C drive memory. I have most all EZ drum packages, and those samples take up a lot of space on my SSD.
I can't speak too much to specifics for EZD2 because of non-disclosure but the reason I wanted to advise you to wait till EZD2 is out was because of my recent experience putting the samples where I want. I KNOW that you can do it in EZD2 in the installation dialog. It's been a while since I did it in EZdrummer and I can't remember the specifics of how I did it and I can't reinstall EZD to verify it.

I will say that my EZD installation was split before I installed EZD2 on my old machine and nothing bad happened when I upgraded. But my advice is to sit tight, be patient and be safe.
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks Dave. I suppose I could delete just one of the EZ Drummer packs and reinstall, and see if I get the option of placing all the samples on my D Drive. I thought I tried this once but was not given the option.

However Blacklion in this post says you can separate it.

I can easily wait a bit longer and then make the decision.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks Dave. I suppose I could delete just one of the EZ Drummer packs and reinstall, and see if I get the option of placing all the samples on my D Drive. I thought I tried this once but was not given the option.

However Blacklion in this post says you can separate it.

I can easily wait a bit longer and then make the decision.
To clarify, is it that you installed EZ Drummer onto your C drive and you bought some sample packs, now wanting everything on the D drive?

In that case, uninstall EZ drummer reinstall the EZ drummer program so that the core samples are on the D drive. From there, you can drag the sample packs onto the D drive and register them from the standalone toontrack player.

If its the other way around and you have EZ drummer installed on the C drive with the core samples on the D drive, the installer should automatically route you to the D drive for samples.

I had them separated from the get go, and every EZ pack just goes straight to my D drive. I register from the toontrack player and everything works as it should.

Edit: Either way, the EZ packs are just folders of samples and midi so you can move them as you please, as far as I know. The installer just puts the folders wherever you directed the original EZ Drummer samples to.
Old 21st March 2014
If one of the beta testers advises waiting……that's exactly what I would do.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post
To clarify, is it that you installed EZ Drummer onto your C drive and you bought some sample packs, now wanting everything on the D drive?

In that case, uninstall EZ drummer reinstall the EZ drummer program so that the core samples are on the D drive. From there, you can drag the sample packs onto the D drive and register them from the standalone toontrack player.

If its the other way around and you have EZ drummer installed on the C drive with the core samples on the D drive, the installer should automatically route you to the D drive for samples.

I had them separated from the get go, and every EZ pack just goes straight to my D drive. I register from the toontrack player and everything works as it should.

Edit: Either way, the EZ packs are just folders of samples and midi so you can move them as you please, as far as I know. The installer just puts the folders wherever you directed the original EZ Drummer samples to.
Yes. I purchased EZ Drummer many years ago and installed it to the C Drive. Over the years I have purchased additional EZ drum packs, and I have most of them today. I didn't realize how much room they took up until my SSD C Drive was getting full and thought to myself all the samples should really be on the D Drive which contains only samples.

So it can be done...just reinstall EZ Drummer program and it will give the option of where to place the samples? Once that is going, then move all the EZ packs to the same location in the D Drive as the EZ Drummer samples? I'm going to assume each EZ pack resides inside the EZ Drummer folder like it is now? I'm off-line, but will then have to re-register EZ Drummer plus all the EZ packs.

I might wait Crisso. It's just one of those issues I need to finally correct. I was told by a Toontrak administrator that you could not keep the samples in a different drive than the program, however maybe he thought I wanted to MOVE the samples to another location once EZ Drummer had already been installed.

Either way, I'm glad Dave is indicating this may be improved with EZD 2.
Old 21st March 2014
Pip
Lives for gear

I have the same issue, I recently upgraded to win 7, cubase 7.5 and and had to reinstall everything I was advised to keep programme and expansions together on my c drive hopefully ver 2 will have a utility to move them onto my sample drive.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:

So it can be done...just reinstall EZ Drummer program and it will give the option of where to place the samples? Once that is going, then move all the EZ packs to the same location in the D Drive as the EZ Drummer samples? I'm going to assume each EZ pack resides inside the EZ Drummer folder like it is now? I'm off-line, but will then have to re-register EZ Drummer plus all the EZ packs.

It can be done...that's the way I've had it since I purchased a couple years back. On my D drive I have a "toontrack" folder. Can't remember if I made it myself or it was created through the installer. All the samples (EZ + EZ packs + SD2 and SD2 packs) are in that folder. I guess since I installed that way, all the EZ pack installers are directed there automatically.

Not sure if you'll have to re-register all the EZ packs after moving them, but its simple enough through the standalone toontrack player. If you're planning on getting EZ2, you could wait as Chrisso suggests.

I'm sold on EZ2, btw. Much more useful...I hope that Superior gets an update soon or that you can use the superior packs in EZ2.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search