The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD Sale Prices - How does the current sale compare to the Holiday Sale / Other Sales Equalizer Plugins
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

I think it's fine and dandy to point out that volume boosts can be deceptive. Just don't announce to someone that it's the merely the volume bump they're preferring when you have less than no idea what they're doing, what they're hearing, what they know, what their experience is, etc.

And for the record, I think default volume bumps are extremely cheap, cheesy, annoying, tacky...pick your adjective. UAD, Slate, Waves...whoever. Enough of the sneaky, default boost.
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbird View Post
Yeah well us guys that have been doing this for more than two minutes already knew that...but then you seem more interested in having a "real cool" avatar and matching screen name than making any sense.

The fact that adding anything into the signal path is going to change the perceived volume is NO groundbreaking piece of science. There were no "facts" discovered. No illicit findings. People were not "making a big thing out of it" as you say. Its common sense. Its not even necessary to discuss. Most people dont even need to be informed of it, but in your world "everyone was making a big thing about it until science finally discovered it."

How many mixes have you done where youve recorded the instruments yourself? If youve ever done any critical listening you would know that level matching is the very first step. Not some unearthly finding that we just uncovered with the arrival of plugins. lol noobs.
You are so off the mark my friend. I've been producing for a long, long time and before that I was a professional musician since the late 60's. But in the interest of charity I will not get into a p!ssing contest with you.

I will just say though that in the early day of the UAD 1 a lot of people were fooled into thinking that the UAD pultec added something special just by adding it into the chain when it was no more than a volume boost. It was then and still is an illusion if you don' know.
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think it's fine and dandy to point out that volume boosts can be deceptive.
Of course

Quote:
Just don't announce to someone that it's the merely the volume bump they're preferring when you have less than no idea what they're doing, what they're hearing, what they know, what their experience is, etc.
Exactly.

Quote:
I think default volume bumps are extremely cheap, cheesy, annoying, tacky...pick your adjective. UAD, Slate, Waves...whoever.
Yeah but if you are buying the product without understanding something so elementary, then you deserve whatever consequences arise....and yes when used as a marketing tactic...desperate or grasping for straws are the descriptions that stand out in my mind.

Quote:
You are so off the mark my friend. I've been producing for a long, long time and before that I was a professional musician since the late 60's
Friend talk is cheap, and on the internet, EVERYBODY is a "pro".

Quote:
I will just say though that in the early day of the UAD 1 a lot of people were fooled into thinking that the UAD pultec added something special just by adding it into the chain when it was no more than a volume boost.
Then i show you a lot of amateurs that dont understand what they are doing. This is ELEMENTARY. This is equivalent to setting the clean and distorted channels on your amp to comparable levels. This is something that you dont need to tell people. If it isnt blatantly obvious to a person whether something is louder or sounds better then they will NEVER be a good mix engineer.
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yeah but if you are buying the product without understanding something so elementary, then you deserve whatever consequences arise
I agree. And I'm not worried that anyone who knows anything about audio will be tricked by a default volume bump. I'm just turned off when companies try.

And to be fair, it's possible that the real Pultec eqp-1a does give a little volume bump and that's what they modeled. I don't know, I haven't used an original.

But, for example, when Waves CLA76 is instantiated, there's a huge volume bump, and an 1176 (a HW version of which I use everyday) has Input and Output controls (unlike the eqp-1a) so that huge volume spike isn't "modeled", it's put there by design.

And THAT is stupid.
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Then i show you a lot of amateurs that dont understand what they are doing. This is ELEMENTARY. This is equivalent to setting the clean and distorted channels on your amp to comparable levels. This is something that you dont need to tell people. If it isnt blatantly obvious to a person whether something is louder or sounds better then they will NEVER be a good mix engineer.
Quote:
Friend talk is cheap, and on the internet, EVERYBODY is a "pro".
Indeed
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
I agree. And I'm not worried that anyone who knows anything about audio will be tricked by a default volume bump. I'm just turned off when companies try.

And to be fair, it's possible that the real Pultec eqp-1a does give a little volume bump and that's what they modeled. I don't know, I haven't used an original.

But, for example, when Waves CLA76 is instantiated, there's a huge volume bump, and an 1176 (a HW version of which I use everyday) has Input and Output controls (unlike the eqp-1a) so that huge volume spike isn't "modeled", it's put there by design.

And THAT is stupid.
Yeah i dont even like when gain is increased on compression presets. Its always a burden even tho mathematically it should make sense.

Quote:
Indeed
I dont want to get into it either, but i found Raysouls initial comments a bit intrusive as Ragan seemed to, and when Raysoul didnt like his reply, which was fully warranted IMO, he started name calling, and then you came along and +1'd him. (not the name calling im sure) and Ragan might be a lot of things but arrogant aint one of them.
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I dont want to get into it either, but i found Raysouls initial comments a bit intrusive as Ragan seemed to, and when Raysoul didnt like his reply, which was fully warranted IMO, he started name calling, and then you came along and +1'd him. (not the name calling im sure) and Ragan might be a lot of things but arrogant aint one of them.
Ok
Old 22nd May 2014
Lives for gear

Can still remember when that Massive Passive got reduced down to $199. That with my $50 voucher made it a no-brainer! :D
Old 2nd June 2014
Lives for gear

The sale period begun yesterday and I purchased EMT 250 Reverb
Old 2nd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Race View Post
Can still remember when that Massive Passive got reduced down to $199. That with my $50 voucher made it a no-brainer! :D
Really? I was never impressed by this plugin at all. add in the amount of DSP it burns up and i think its one of UAs worst of the new bunch. No offense. I was really let down by this.

Quote:
Do you have the EMT 140? If so, do you feel the 250 is redundant? The 250 was one of the first things i demoed, so its been a while.
Old 2nd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you have the EMT 140? If so, do you feel the 250 is redundant? The 250 was one of the first things i demoed, so its been a while.
I dont have it. To my ears the 250 sounds very good and its simple to use so I decided to buy it. Also it has been used on many of my favourite records
Old 2nd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
I dont have it. To my ears the 250 sounds very good and its simple to use so I decided to buy it. Also it has been used on many of my favourite records
Okool. Thanks.
Old 2nd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Really? I was never impressed by this plugin at all. add in the amount of DSP it burns up and i think its one of UAs worst of the new bunch. No offense. I was really let down by this.

[..]
I think the UAD Massive Passive is awesome. When it was launched, it was a gamechanger imho. I know a studio friend of mine and myself had smiles on our faces when using it for the first time. We had no other EQ plugin available that sounded the same. It was the first time a plugin EQ made us feel as if it was hardware. heh
Old 2nd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've got both. They're totally different animals. The 250 is cleaner and sort of more lush in a way. The 140 is dustier, smokier and vibier. I use the 250 a lot for its delays/choruses. It's awesome for that.
Old 2nd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando View Post
I think the UAD Massive Passive is awesome. When it was launched, it was a gamechanger imho. I know a studio friend of mine and myself had smiles on our faces when using it for the first time. We had no other EQ plugin available that sounded the same. It was the first time a plugin EQ made us feel as if it was hardware. heh
I saw some ytube clips, and the guys shooting it thought it sounded pretty similar to the hardware...at the time i was checking it out on dell desktops, so i couldnt even really offer an opinion.

I ended up demoing after that, and i wanted to like it, i just couldnt find anything about it that stuck with me. add in that heavy DSP load and........
Maybe it was the source material. Maybe it was just one of those things, but i remember looking at it and being surprised that i still had 2 days left on the demo, and then never gave it another thought. ha!

I think my demo has been reset on that one. Maybe i'll take it for another spin...I need another EQ like i need another hole in my head.

Shootouts can be tricky/a pain when your studio rig is not connected to the net. I need to find a better solution...or just connect my DAW to the net
Im not doing a lot right now, so maybe its time to figure that one out.

Quote:
I've got both. They're totally different animals. The 250 is cleaner and sort of more lush in a way. The 140 is dustier, smokier and vibier. I use the 250 a lot for its delays/choruses. It's awesome for that.
I thought Levi would probably know, but i KNEW you would. Thanks.

Ive thought about picking up VVV and/or Ubermod instead. Any ideas or thought on how VVV and the 250 compare?
Old 2nd June 2014
Finally, I'm done with each time using / demo'ing the Ampex ATR-102 plug-in for only 2 weeks. $199 is a reasonable price I guess so I'm gonna grab it.

About the Massive Passive. Since I bought it, it irritates me that I can only use it in the final stage (the stereo mastering part). Because it won't work in a Small Process Buffer Range mode. And yes I prefer that one in each project otherwise all the automation edits won't respond properly. And because it needs huge dsp power. Don't have the money for a Quad.
Old 2nd June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Second this.

The first time I slapped it on my master bus and make some tweaks... I actually smiled. I never smiled for EQing before that moment. Things felt alive as I tweaked.

Only other plug that does that for me to that level of "mmmm" is Decapitator
Old 2nd June 2014
Lives for gear

I was planning on the Pultec, and the 610 collection...

But the EMT 140 for $99!

Looks like I'll be demoing the Trident and Harrison EQs, any opinions on them?

Don't think I can pass up the LA-3A for $79!

Plug lust is in effect!
Old 2nd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoubleyou View Post
Trident and Harrison EQs, any opinions on them?
I would rather get the Softube version, but UAD's Harrison is definitely one of the best EQs available. If you are Michael Jackson and/or Bruce Swedien fan, you gotta have it!
Old 2nd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't think I can pass up the LA-3A for $79!
Ok now this plugin is one i have no love for. I honestly think you are throwing money away here. You know what you want more than i do, but i cant understand how you dont already have a compressor that does what this one does.

I have a $100 coupon sitting, so i think this ole cat is going to skip the 1073, live with the IK73, pick up the SPL Transient designer for $29 and maybe the EMT 250.

Leevi, do you remember if the 250 was any less on black friday? This is the lowest i recall seing it but i may be mistaken. Id be willing to wait until then...or if you have a thought on how it compares to VVV.
Old 2nd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Leevi, do you remember if the 250 was any less on black friday? This is the lowest i recall seing it but i may be mistaken.
Yes, I think you are right and that is one of the reasons why I decided to purchase it now. I think it is pretty good deal for 150 bucks.
Old 2nd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, I think you are right and that is one of the reasons why I decided to purchase it now. I think it is pretty good deal for 150 bucks.
God luv ya
Old 2nd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Decent choice. The 250 can hit the spot nicely in certain situations. I have the EMT 140, 250, Lexicon 224 and Dreamverb. By far the one one that consistently impresses me the most is the Lexicon 224. In fact, I don't of know of any other software verb that touches it, certainly nothing I own or have demoed. I have all the Valhallas, which are great, but IMHO the UAD Lex 224 is king in every way.

Bottom of the pile for me is Dreamverb. Has its uses I'm told but, what they are escapes me. Teach me to buy without demoing

It.s down to $249 at the moment. Recommended.
Old 3rd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark blue man View Post
Decent choice. The 250 can hit the spot nicely in certain situations. I have the EMT 140, 250, Lexicon 224 and Dreamverb. By far the one one that consistently impresses me the most is the Lexicon 224. In fact, I don't of know of any other software verb that touches it, certainly nothing I own or have demoed. I have all the Valhallas, which are great, but IMHO the UAD Lex 224 is king in every way.

Bottom of the pile for me is Dreamverb. Has its uses I'm told but, what they are escapes me. Teach me to buy without demoing

It.s down to $249 at the moment. Recommended.
The price of Lexicon is a bit too hefty for me...Also I had drooled for EMT 250 for a while now.
Old 13th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark blue man View Post
By far the one one that consistently impresses me the most is the Lexicon 224. In fact, I don't of know of any other software verb that touches it, certainly nothing I own or have demoed.
Try the direct competitor, the Lexicon Native Reverb plugins which are the exact same code and architecture of the original, put in plugin form by Lexicon themselves, not copied or emulated like from UAD.

To the other guys - MANLEY MASSIVE ALL THE WAY!!! Yeah the CPU load is high, but are you really supposed to have it on when mixing? I've always considered it a mastering tool more than a mixing tool, I do arrangement and mixing, get the master bus sounding nice, and thennnn when everything is pretty much set slap this baby on, make some minor adjustments and feel everything come to life.

I'm digging this sale. I've been waiting on the EMT140 for awhile now, it's such a nice plate reverb. But should I get the EMT140 reverb or go with the Harrison EQ?

I have a $50 coupon, so either one would be $50. Hard choice to make, I might have to flip a coin for it.
Old 13th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugo View Post
Try the direct competitor, the Lexicon Native Reverb plugins which are the exact same code and architecture of the original, put in plugin form by Lexicon themselves, not copied or emulated like from UAD.

To the other guys - MANLEY MASSIVE ALL THE WAY!!! Yeah the CPU load is high, but are you really supposed to have it on when mixing? I've always considered it a mastering tool more than a mixing tool, I do arrangement and mixing, get the master bus sounding nice, and thennnn when everything is pretty much set slap this baby on, make some minor adjustments and feel everything come to life.

I'm digging this sale. I've been waiting on the EMT140 for awhile now, it's such a nice plate reverb. But should I get the EMT140 reverb or go with the Harrison EQ?

I have a $50 coupon, so either one would be $50. Hard choice to make, I might have to flip a coin for it.
Without too much listening, I would imagine it being easier to model a digital based device as Lexicon 224 than EMT 140, especially when considering how old plugin release the latter is.

Harrison is a really nice EQ! Bruce would call it as "dynamite" Hopefully they'll re-model it in the future though.
Old 15th June 2014
I recently picked up a Octo Custom card at a great price and it came with a $750 voucher and the Helios plug in for free. I went with:

Free:
API 500 Series
Magnetic Tape Bundle
Ocean Way Room

Voucher:
EMT 140
EMT 250
Roland RE-201
1176 Collection
LA-2A Collection
Pultec Collection
Fairchild Collection
DBX 160

And spent $99 on the Harrison. I think for $99 it's a must own.

Would still like to pick up the Precision De-Esser, Cooper Time Cube, SPL Transient Designer, Roland Dimension D,
and MXR Flanger/Doubler but probably not until next sale.
Old 15th June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan View Post
I recently picked up a Octo Custom card at a great price and it came with a $750 voucher and the Helios plug in for free. I went with:

Free:
API 500 Series
Magnetic Tape Bundle
Ocean Way Room

Voucher:
EMT 140
EMT 250
Roland RE-201
1176 Collection
LA-2A Collection
Pultec Collection
Fairchild Collection
DBX 160

And spent $99 on the Harrison. I think for $99 it's a must own.

Would still like to pick up the Precision De-Esser, Cooper Time Cube, SPL Transient Designer, Roland Dimension D,
and MXR Flanger/Doubler but probably not until next sale.

I'm trying to pick my 3 now... how did you select a bundle (magnetic tape) as one of your FREE choices? I don't have any bundles listed
Old 15th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree, my favorite software EQ and one of the few software Eqs I'll actually use. It really lets you manipulate the signal without that bitter after taste I find in so many other software EQs
Old 16th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan View Post

Free:
API 500 Series
Magnetic Tape Bundle
Ocean Way Room
So UA will let you take a plugin bundle as one of the 'free' plugins that are part of the Custom pack? That's sweet!
Top Mentioned Products
Sample Magic Boost Universal Audio 1176 Classic Limiter Plug-In Collection Universal Audio API Vision Channel Strip Plug-In EMT 250 Show More
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search