The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NI Maschine vs Ableton Push? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 3rd April 2015
Lives for gear

My least favorite:
Maschine - childish sequencer, poor user tagging.
Push - Lack of third party VST browsing.
Old 3rd April 2015
Lives for gear

Push worst: lack of control over the drum rack mixer
Old 4th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
My least favorite:
Maschine - childish sequencer, poor user tagging.
???

What makes you think Maschine's aequencer is "childish"?

Maschine doesn't have poor user tagging. A lot of people just don't realize that Maschine 2 handles things differently in that you just save things which goes into the user area where you can tag away to your heart's content. Maschine 2 is a new software that was a complete rewrite and works differently than version 1. That doesn't mean that it's something to complain about as if it's a bug or a missing feature.
Old 4th April 2015
Lives for gear

Nobody here is complaining, stop being so sensitive, people are just expressing their opinion to the posted question about their least favorite Maschine and Push feature.

Even though I owe you zero explanations for my opinion:
1. The uber basic sequencer can't even automate mutes or much else, lol, with so many very serious limitations, in 2015 it is a childish sequencer.
2. Ok, how do I change the tag of a sound from any NI sound pack, without having to copy the sound?
FWIW, I never used version 1, I'm expressing my opinions from 2.0 up.

I use Maschine and Push daily, enjoy both, but both have a lot of room to grow.
Old 4th April 2015
Lives for gear

@Will The Weirdo when did you buy Maschine?
Old 4th April 2015
Lives for gear

I've been using Maschine for about 6 months now.
Old 7th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
1. The uber basic sequencer can't even automate mutes or much else, lol, with so many very serious limitations, in 2015 it is a childish sequencer.
Nice try. So... how many things are you suggesting that Maschine's sequencer can't automate? You're obviously referring to the fact that it doesn't record the mute function, which is one thing as opposed to the way you make it sound by saying "can't even automate mutes or much else". The reality is that Maschine can automate pretty much everything from its sequencer.

Quote:
2. Ok, how do I change the tag of a sound from any NI sound pack, without having to copy the sound?
That's not how it works. Learn to use the tools for how they are meant to work. You don't put custom tags on factory content. If you want to add your tags, you save a sound which puts it in the user content area and you can tag away.
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear

It's like I went backwards 15 years in sequencing with Maschine, lol, and you should read up on the NI Maschine newsgroup if you think the sequencer is up to par. I love what Maschine can do, I also just understand what it is lacking.
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's like I went backwards 15 years in sequencing with Maschine, lol, and you should read up on the NI Maschine newsgroup if you think the sequencer is up to par.
That forum you're talking about probably only represents less than 1% of NI's customers. The Maschine and NI userbase in general is huge and most never participate in forums. And it only takes a few bitter old farts who spend all day complaining on forums instead of making music, namely "theinvis" and "Tooshka", to stink up the place about how "all the grooveboxes from 15 years ago were so much more advanced".

I've used probably every groovebox ever made and Maschine is definitely the most powerful IMVHO. All of the other hardware units had less functionality than Maschine. Maybe one or two did something that Maschine doesn't, like the step jump on the new electribe. But overall I find Maschine not only well spec'd, but very fast to use when coming up with good sounding grooves. The fact you can use pretty much unlimited tracks and effects alone puts it's above the others I feel. I guess it depends on what is important to you, Maschine does things for me I could never do with the others. Being able to select notes by ranges and edit or transpose them, apply swing globally to some sounds, or groups of sounds, the ability to change note length for all notes in a part or group, and of course scale and the awesome chord functionality are all things none of the above do.

Really though, what makes Maschine so great is more than just a sequencer to me, it's the combination of sequencer and sound design and how quickly I can get my ideas sounding exactly the way I want.
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear

I'll say it again, when I put Maschine's sequencer next to and modern DAW sequencer, it's childish in comparison. Hell, with all the drag and drop or touchscreen abilities in the newer DAW's sequencers, I'm almost speechless how you are so against my simple opinion, lol. If you feel otherwise, good for you. Keep doing what you're doing and I'll just use the modern adult sequencers we already have available to us today.

As a groovebox Maschine is tops but as grooveboxes were never that powerful, it's not really saying much.

Again, Maschine is a fantastic tool, with some serious groovebox-esque deficiencies.
Old 8th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by coven View Post
Nice try. So... how many things are you suggesting that Maschine's sequencer can't automate? You're obviously referring to the fact that it doesn't record the mute function, which is one thing as opposed to the way you make it sound by saying "can't even automate mutes or much else". The reality is that Maschine can automate pretty much everything from its sequencer.

That's not how it works. Learn to use the tools for how they are meant to work. You don't put custom tags on factory content. If you want to add your tags, you save a sound which puts it in the user content area and you can tag away.
Can you record a basic audio track into Maschine's sequencer yet????? I could care less about automation - I want to be able to track audio in the sequencer which will save me the hassle of using Maschine within another DAW.

If it still can't record audio, then this debate is a waste of time - it's still a severely neutered Daw.
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nobody here is complaining, stop being so sensitive, people are just expressing their opinion to the posted question about their least favorite Maschine and Push feature.

Even though I owe you zero explanations for my opinion:
FWIW, I never used version 1, I'm expressing my opinions from 2.0 up.

I use Maschine and Push daily, enjoy both, but both have a lot of room to grow.
I agree, Mashine is childish and I own a Maschine. It bothers me how childish it is.

I'm still waiting for it to grow up! The main thing I like is how fast it load Komplete sounds. Besides that, it's very frustrating for a guy that own Cubase and Logic...
Old 1st June 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Good luck with that as Push is horrible at browsing, period. Your "struggle" was probably typical user error. Maschine's integration with Live is quite seamless actually. Oh, and Maschine is a very flexible tool so there are several different ways to integrate it with DAWs to cater to different workflow preferences.

I find touchAble to be a far superior and comprehensive Live controller than Push. Maschine's Live template is no slouch either.

If one was to compare Maschine (used with its software) and Push (used with its software), the only one that actually works more like external hardwrae vs. a controller would be Maschine, hands down (or hands on if you prefer).

What utter nonsense.

Maschine works great in a DAW. It's often dismissed by people who don't even realize you can or have the capability to choose which one of several ways it can be used inside DAWs.

Has Anyone here used Conductr?
www.conductr.net
Old 6th August 2015
Gear Maniac

I'm very tempted by Maschine 2 over Push for conrolling Ableton. I can sequence from an iPad using Touchable, so I just need 16 velocity pads that can interact with Ableton's drum rack well (and those Drum Synths). Does the Live template for Maschine work well with the Drum Rack?
Old 6th August 2015
Lives for gear

Lots of lolability in this thread

I have had analog synths, analog sequencers, used several daws, owned drum machines and I can tell you there is no better sequencer than maschine using maschine studio hardware controller. I used an elektron analog four before and it sounded awesome but it was a traumatic experience at best having to work with the tiny screen.

In terms of maschine vs. ableton with push. I haven't used ableton but everyone seems to love it. Honestly if cash is there I would get both. I am currently married to logic so no ableton for me.
Old 6th August 2015
Lives for gear

Hi,

I don't think it is too far fetched to eventually see NI make a new generation of Maschine Studio's that have an Audio Interface, SSD, run a Custom version of Windows, and do everything from beats, mixing, recording, effects, hosting VSTs, and even Mastering all in one super cool Maschine

Why Not ?

i.e. VST hosting in Maschine was not initially possible, but was added via a later update, then came version 2.0, with more features, then 2.2, and 2.3 adding more features, so ... I wouldn't be surprised if the evolutionary path of Maschine would eventually make it a fully functional DAW. I could even imagine a video output for connecting your monitor directly to it, and couple of USB ports to connect your favorite keyboard/synth controller.

Anyways, I'm just beginning to work with Maschine Studio ver. 2.3 and so far, I like it a lot, although I'm still in the learning phase, I can already see it become my primary, Go To Rhythm production tool. I'm currently just using it in Standalone Mode, just to focus on learning the ins and outs of working with Maschine HW and SW, eventually I will use it as a VST in Cubase Pro 8.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 15th November 2015
Quote:
Good luck with that as Push is horrible at browsing, period. Your "struggle" was probably typical user error. Maschine's integration with Live is quite seamless actually. Oh, and Maschine is a very flexible tool so there are several different ways to integrate it with DAWs to cater to different workflow preferences.
Glad you had an easy time with it. It's the one plugin that was never seamless for me.

Push. Plugged it in. I was making music.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search