The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Softube Console 1 WOW!!!
Old 26th February 2014
Softube Console 1 WOW!!!

This is what I´ve been waiting for my whole life...
I have been searching the market for DAW mixers/controllers for a long time but none of them works for me. Too much to think about, to many places to look and not simple enough. Basically I just want Eq, comp and fader like a real console. And of course the sound!

I got the "Console 1" this morning and after one day of mixing I´m totally blown away. I´m mixing soo much faster and I use the mouse like 50% less.
I dont need to go thru different menu´s and hassle around to be able to tweak the sound. It´s just there in front of me!
I press the channel I want to go to and boom. Hands on directly, nothing comes between my intuition and execution.
That has always been my biggest problem when mixing in the box that It takes me like 1,5 hours to just get the balances and fundamental right wich totally ruins my feeling for where I intuitively want to go with the song. It now took me like 20mins.

I´m very happy of how everything sounds aswell. Don´t wanna compare to other "SSL 4K" as I don´t really care, but It really sounds good.
The drive function together with the character switch sounds amazing and is really usefull to have on every channel. Allso to have an Enveloper and gate on every channel made me use it on everything and made go like -Why didnt I do this before?
Seems to be very CPU friendly.

There is some minor things that they need to fix though. In logic and Pro Tools it doesnt name the "console 1" tracks after the arrange channel tracks. So you have to do this manually in the console 1 plugin.
Allso if you want to put a new track between let´s say track 8 & 9 It doesent place itself between 8 & 9 in the Console plugin, so you have to do that manually aswell.
This allmost made me not buying it. I´m happy I did since it didn´t really bother me much even though I put tracks all over the place when I work.

Just wanted to share my impressions. This thing is so extremely cool.
Im in Love!!r
Thank you Softube!
Old 26th February 2014
Thanks for the report. I've never heard of this thing until I read your post. I'm a OTB guy but I think I could deal with the workflow of something like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Krotkiewski View Post
This is what I´ve been waiting for my whole life...
I have been searching the market for DAW mixers/controllers for a long time but none of them works for me. Too much to think about, to many places to look and not simple enough. Basically I just want Eq, comp and fader like a real console. And of course the sound!

I got the "Console 1" this morning and after one day of mixing I´m totally blown away. I´m mixing soo much faster and I use the mouse like 50% less.
I dont need to go thru different menu´s and hassle around to be able to tweak the sound. It´s just there in front of me!
I press the channel I want to go to and boom. Hands on directly, nothing comes between my intuition and execution.
That has always been my biggest problem when mixing in the box that It takes me like 1,5 hours to just get the balances and fundamental right wich totally ruins my feeling for where I intuitively want to go with the song. It now took me like 20mins.

I´m very happy of how everything sounds aswell. Don´t wanna compare to other "SSL 4K" as I don´t really care, but It really sounds good.
The drive function together with the character switch sounds amazing and is really usefull to have on every channel. Allso to have an Enveloper and gate on every channel made me use it on everything and made go like -Why didnt I do this before?
Seems to be very CPU friendly.

There is some minor things that they need to fix though. In logic and Pro Tools it doesnt name the "console 1" tracks after the arrange channel tracks. So you have to do this manually in the console 1 plugin.
Allso if you want to put a new track between let´s say track 8 & 9 It doesent place itself between 8 & 9 in the Console plugin, so you have to do that manually aswell.
This allmost made me not buying it. I´m happy I did since it didn´t really bother me much even though I put tracks all over the place when I work.

Just wanted to share my impressions. This thing is so extremely cool.
Im in Love!!r
Thank you Softube!
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Addict

Woo-haa! We're getting these rave reviews from very happy Console 1 owners coming in from all over the world, and it's just amazing. Thanks all!

Cheers,
Henrik
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Did ya hear the critical voices as well?
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
Did ya hear the critical voices as well?
We certainly did. But first, we never expected to be able to please everybody. And second, the happy voices outnumber the critical ones by far, so we're completely fine with that.

Thanks,
Henrik
Old 26th February 2014
Hey Henric!
I think it was you who showed me the unit at DLX last week right?
Thank you for that demo!

Most of the complaints that we forwarded to Henrik last week he was already aware of and said that they were working on it.
I hope they are.
But still, nothing comes even close on the market to what this unit offers with or without the faults.

//Ted
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hey Henric!
I think it was you who showed me the unit at DLX last week right?
Thank you for that demo!

Most of the complaints that we forwarded to Henrik last week he was already aware of and said that they were working on it.
I hope they are.
But still, nothing comes even close on the market to what this unit offers with or without the faults.

//Ted
Yes, that was me. Cool to hear you went back and bought one! Thanks again for the kind words.

Cheers,
Henrik
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softube View Post
We certainly did. But first, we never expected to be able to please everybody. And second, the happy voices outnumber the critical ones by far, so we're completely fine with that.

Thanks,
Henrik
I would never buy from a hardware developper who has or confirms such an attitude. Most people love it, why make it better.
Old 26th February 2014
DSK
Lives for gear

Hurry up with the Win version.. I'm starving over here for the C1!

I've hit my head on the wall with frustration over the past few projects individually adjusting eq and compression over dozens of vocal tracks.

Like the OP said.. really kills the vibe especially if you also produce/ compose while you mix to go through all the mouse hassle.
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
I would never buy from a hardware developper who has or confirms such an attitude. Most people love it, why make it better.
Sometimes you have an interesting style of pushing people into a reaction and then interpreting said reaction to fit with your own projection it seems. I don't see him saying 'why make it better' anywhere.
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Maniac
I want one !!
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Sometimes you have an interesting style of pushing people into a reaction and then interpreting said reaction to fit with your own projection it seems. I don't see him saying 'why make it better' anywhere.
Not to mention the hubris of "I have a complaint/suggestion and if you just do as I suggest, the product will be better."
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear
So is this a Mac only system or does it work on Windows as well? I can't seem to find the system requirements online.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
If you have followed the Console 1 discussions and my replies to it, you would know that we take suggestions, comments and critique very seriously and do our best to implement whatever improvements can be made. It would honestly be plain stupid of us to not do so. One of many examples is the auto make-up gain for the compressors that we implemented after a lengthy discussion right here on Gearslutz. There are many more features that are based on ideas from people posting in the forums and people we meet at trade shows, that we are working on and that will be part of future updates to the software.

My comment was addressing the critique where people simply don't like the concept, or don't find it useful in their workflow. There's little we can do to change that—different strokes for different folks. We're just happy there are plenty of people who DO find it useful.

Cheers,
Henrik
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
Hurry up with the Win version.. I'm starving over here for the C1!

I've hit my head on the wall with frustration over the past few projects individually adjusting eq and compression over dozens of vocal tracks.

Like the OP said.. really kills the vibe especially if you also produce/ compose while you mix to go through all the mouse hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnBoy View Post
So is this a Mac only system or does it work on Windows as well? I can't seem to find the system requirements online.
Getting the Windows version done is our top priority. We won't even attempt to estimate when it will be out, though. Because every time we've tried to predict the future, we've failed miserably. But it's our top priority and it will be out as soon as possible.

Thanks for pointing out the system requirements aren't online (OK, it's in the manual that you can find here, but it could certainly be a lot more obvious).

Thanks,
Henrik
Old 27th February 2014
Henric since I have you here.

I find the History function to be quite useless because as soon as you choose to go back a few steps you cannot return to what you just had. I really miss a "Compare" function.
I allways want to check if the change I did was better or worse.
Allso the History function is way to detailed. It shows you every little touch you do. For example If I want to take the treshhold from 0 to -40 After turning it halfways I have to release the knob in order to get the full turn of it and that makes the history function think that that little millisecond stop was a desicion. Imagine when you tweak alot of knobs simultaniously. There will be like 30 different decisions recorded in the history and It´s very hard to find your spot where you were before.
So what I´m saying is I really miss a before and after change. A-B compare.

I allso wish that the overall response in the software was a bit quicker. I remember we spoke of this at the store.

But still It´s one of the coolest things I´ve ever bought and I´m even more In love now!
I don´t even have to look at the console anymore I´ve kind of learned where the knobs are and I just go for them without looking. REAALLLYY COOOL!
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Addict

How could you NOT put scribble strips on this thing!? I can appreciate that you want to squeeze as many channel selection buttons in as possible, but without names appearing , this thing will not be in my studio unfortunately.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Henric since I have you here.

I find the History function to be quite useless because as soon as you choose to go back a few steps you cannot return to what you just had. I really miss a "Compare" function.
I allways want to check if the change I did was better or worse.
Allso the History function is way to detailed. It shows you every little touch you do. For example If I want to take the treshhold from 0 to -40 After turning it halfways I have to release the knob in order to get the full turn of it and that makes the history function think that that little millisecond stop was a desicion. Imagine when you tweak alot of knobs simultaniously. There will be like 30 different decisions recorded in the history and It´s very hard to find your spot where you were before.
So what I´m saying is I really miss a before and after change. A-B compare.
That is not a bad idea at all. I'll add it to the list of feature requests.

Quote:
I allso wish that the overall response in the software was a bit quicker. I remember we spoke of this at the store.
First, most people really like the slightly slow and sexy response from the graphics—we actually get a lot of positive comments on just that. But with that said, we are looking into a few graphical optimizations, among those to at least be able to have a swifter response.

Quote:
But still It´s one of the coolest things I´ve ever bought and I´m even more In love now!
I don´t even have to look at the console anymore I´ve kind of learned where the knobs are and I just go for them without looking. REAALLLYY COOOL!
Very glad to hear, thanks!

Cheers,
Henrik
Old 27th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilddyr View Post
How could you NOT put scribble strips on this thing!? I can appreciate that you want to squeeze as many channel selection buttons in as possible, but without names appearing , this thing will not be in my studio unfortunately.
That worried me at first too but after trying it I dont need that. It's on the computerscreen and I did scribble tape it aswell like you would on a console.
In fact Im kind of glad that there Isnt any digital screens saying stuff on the console. I had that allready with the Euphonix controllers and it just confused me.

The beuaty of this whole thing is the simplicity. I have the channels in order just like you would on a real console, Kicks on ch:1-3 Snare on ch:4 and so forth.. I learn it after 15mins. No biggie.

HAve you tried it?
Try it!!!!

Mjauuuu
//Ted
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softube View Post
Getting the Windows version done is our top priority. We won't even attempt to estimate when it will be out, though. Because every time we've tried to predict the future, we've failed miserably. But it's our top priority and it will be out as soon as possible.

Thanks for pointing out the system requirements aren't online (OK, it's in the manual that you can find here, but it could certainly be a lot more obvious).

Thanks,
Henrik
Well I look forward to it, because I'm really interested in this product, even though I don't typically use Softube plugins, I could live with an SSL 4000 emulation with that kind of workflow. My poor, poor computer screen weary eyes would thank me.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

$1000 for a midi controller and plugin strip, NO THANKS. If it actually had DSP power to run the plugin strip, like a UAD card, I'd be sold.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Maniac

I've been wanting something like this for a long time (i.e., dedicated knob for knob plugin channelstrip controller). Only problem is I don't want it to take over my screen. I just want to open the plugin with my mouse and then tweak the dials, not take over my whole workflow. Am I misunderstanding how this thing works, or can I use it this way?
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowrange View Post
I've been wanting something like this for a long time (i.e., dedicated knob for knob plugin channelstrip controller). Only problem is I don't want it to take over my screen. I just want to open the plugin with my mouse and then tweak the dials, not take over my whole workflow. Am I misunderstanding how this thing works, or can I use it this way?
Well you can drop the plugin on the track and control the plugin without having it open..
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Maniac

How does it know which instance to control?
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
How does it know which instance to control?
Those buttons across the top
Old 27th February 2014
I'd love to see a proper video review of this with demonstration.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

When I brought the focusrite LiquidMix a few years back, I was looking for this type of workflow. Turned out the hardware controller was far too coarse, the track selector was clunky and - the killer - stability was awful, completely unusable if paying clients were in the room (not to mention some dodgy artefacts in some of the models).

This, on the other hand, looks like the concept done properly (though obviously using native algorithmic processing rather than hardware based convolution).

The thing that puts me off is around the channel fader being left out of the equation. Sure there's the volume knob on the control surface, but this doesn't give the the same control as a 100mm fader post insert hooked into the DAWs automation. I can see that the concept may not have worked trying to control a DAW's 'native' fader at the same time as a the plugin on a given channel. But in terms of workflow, it seems a bit incomplete to have most of what you're doing in terms of track selection, eq and comp without also having your hand on the channel fader.
Old 27th February 2014
Quote:
Well you do open it like it was any plugin but instead of opening the plugin by clicking on the plugin with the mouse you just klick on the button far up left that says "Display ON". Its so easy cause then I dont need to find the channel with the mouse all the time. I just reach for the console like you would with a real one. And I allso like it taking up the screen because i then stop looking at the music and start listening instead.

What I think people dont understand about this thing is that this is not just another DAW controller that controls you channels with all sorts of trix. It is a virtual mixing desk with hardware controls. You reach for the "Console 1" in exactly the same way you would reach for a real SSL mixing desk. You use the console channels for balance, Eq & dynamics and the sound. When you want to patch in something more lets say a Pultec EQ you just reach for your Rack and start tweaking or if "In the box" you reach for a Pultec plugin in the DAW´s channels like normal... Very simple.

It doesent control the DAW´s channel faders it only controls It´s internal faders for the Virtual SSL console.
So if you want a controller that controls your DAW look elsewhere! But if you want something that´s getting you alot closer to the analog workflow and sound without fooling around with alot of buttons and menus this is definitely it.

Good luck everyone
Kuacckkkk
Old 27th February 2014
Correct me if I'm wrong but the "fader" knob doesn't control the faders in Pro Tools right? So if I want to use another plugin/hardware after console 1 I can't automate the volume after that plugin?

Would probably still do all rides using another control surface with actual faders but it would be sweet if I could do basic levels quickly with console 1.

Ahh... You just answered my question!!! Don't you think that would be pretty sweet if you could though?
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
What I think people dont understand about this thing is that this is not just another DAW controller that controls you channels with all sorts of trix. It is a virtual mixing desk with hardware controls. You reach for the "Console 1" in exactly the same way you would reach for a real SSL mixing desk. You use the console channels for balance, Eq & dynamics and the sound. When you want to patch in something more lets say a Pultec EQ you just reach for your Rack and start tweaking or if "In the box" you reach for a Pultec plugin in the DAW´s channels like normal... Very simple.

It doesent control the DAW´s channel faders it only controls It´s internal faders for the Virtual SSL console.
So if you want a controller that controls your DAW look elsewhere! But if you want something that´s getting you alot closer to the analog workflow and sound without fooling around with alot of buttons and menus this is definitely it.

Good luck everyone
Kuacckkkk
B-b-but... it IS just a daw controller, actually a very limited daw controller that only works with one plugin... it sends midi CC just like any midi controller correct?

This exact same thing can be accomplished with any controller and a few minutes of mapping. I'm just sick of companies <DELETED BY MODERATOR> customers for $1000 for a damn midi controller and plugin strip.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search