The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Softube Console 1 WOW!!!
Old 13th October 2020 | Show parent
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
Aaaah, that sound of the DRSQ4, it's absolutely integral to my mixing setup
What's your take on the aliasing issue if you compare the Phoenix sound to the BCA or ACA. I know it's not the same harmonic distortion profile, but knowing what that particular Class A transformer coupled analog drive sounds like, do the C1 strips with their well into audible range aliased harmonics sound full of artifacts by comparison? I was sort of shocked they're as high as they are. I have many times used the drive on a bunch of tracks and wanted even more from it but then listened to the full mix and thought I went too far and it was unpleasant sounding. So I'd go back and reduce a lot of the drive or take it off and then it would sound much better. I always thought it just meant I overdid it, but now I wonder if the aliasing on numerous tracks ultimately became too much.
Old 14th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Yeah, sure! Levels will impact it, no doubt. I'm just saying that it's there even at low or moderate levels.

I'll reiterate, this is not a problem to die for. The aliasing in this case is something you can minimize in different ways. I just mentioned it because I would love it to be cleaner so I can use the drive more, that's all.
We really have to lobby softube to propose those with dsp uad onboard as an option , they will benefit from upsampling on the platform , unless uad changed some recentely lol ...

Let s say you re calibrated at -18dbfs drive at 12 , what are the aliasing levels ?

By the way good news for the zener , lately it has been my busses channel , don t forget that you can load that channel and use over componenet ( in my case the germanium as comp) and the weiss for the master (curious to know if anybody cheked this one drive ....)
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Fader and Studio One issues

I've had the Fader (paired with my original C1 I've had for about 4 years) for a couple of months and a major issue I'm having is the fader levels in Studio One and the OSD "jittering" in level when they're set to around -7 to -10 db. The physical faders on the unit aren't moving, just in the DAW. If they're set outside that -7 to -10 db range they are fine and stable. This also causes the auto display to be on at all times as it thinks I'm touching the controls on the Fader unit. I've just been disconnecting the Fader and using the old C1 when it starts happening.

Anyone else dealing with this mess? I'm finally starting to get some responses from Softube support via email but it's moving very slowly.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yizetti View Post
I've had the Fader (paired with my original C1 I've had for about 4 years) for a couple of months and a major issue I'm having is the fader levels in Studio One and the OSD "jittering" in level when they're set to around -7 to -10 db. The physical faders on the unit aren't moving, just in the DAW. If they're set outside that -7 to -10 db range they are fine and stable. This also causes the auto display to be on at all times as it thinks I'm touching the controls on the Fader unit. I've just been disconnecting the Fader and using the old C1 when it starts happening.

Anyone else dealing with this mess? I'm finally starting to get some responses from Softube support via email but it's moving very slowly.
I haven't had any problems in osx/cubase you don't say what you're on-I'm sure you've tried uninstalling/reinstalling updating firmware for the fader if needed. I think they're super-overwhelmed with the response from fader one so be patient they will def get to you. I think most audio companies are overwhelmed now as well as Fender etc. from everyone finally starting their Covid music careers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydeluxe View Post
I haven't had any problems in osx/cubase you don't say what you're on-I'm sure you've tried uninstalling/reinstalling updating firmware for the fader if needed. I think they're super-overwhelmed with the response from fader one so be patient they will def get to you. I think most audio companies are overwhelmed now as well as Fender etc. from everyone finally starting their Covid music careers...
To be fair, Softube's responding super late if at all started before Covid. It didn't help they introduced bugs in previously functioning stuff while releasing more and more stuff. I'm currently waiting for a reply for about six weeks, I started the ticket in 2019, no solution in sight. Just sayin.
I like what they do, but on this end, I gave up. Thinking about selling my C1, I hate the feeling to have invested a lot in them and being tied a bit to their ecosystem when they don't have their end in check and are in over their heads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustusarnone View Post
What's your take on the aliasing issue if you compare the Phoenix sound to the BCA or ACA. I know it's not the same harmonic distortion profile, but knowing what that particular Class A transformer coupled analog drive sounds like, do the C1 strips with their well into audible range aliased harmonics sound full of artifacts by comparison? I was sort of shocked they're as high as they are. I have many times used the drive on a bunch of tracks and wanted even more from it but then listened to the full mix and thought I went too far and it was unpleasant sounding. So I'd go back and reduce a lot of the drive or take it off and then it would sound much better. I always thought it just meant I overdid it, but now I wonder if the aliasing on numerous tracks ultimately became too much.
Usually I don't care for anything I don't hear immediately. I didn't hear something in the C1 drive that bothered me. But I noticed mixes can get harsh easily. To your question: All I can say is I always want more when I hear the crunch on the Phoenix, which is not the case with C1. ;-)
Lives for gear

Quote:
To be fair, Softube's responding super late if at all started before Covid. It didn't help they introduced bugs in previously functioning stuff while releasing more and more stuff. I'm currently waiting for a reply for about six weeks, I started the ticket in 2019, no solution in sight. Just sayin.
I like what they do, but on this end, I gave up. Thinking about selling my C1, I hate the feeling to have invested a lot in them and being tied a bit to their ecosystem when they don't have their end in check and are in over their heads.
I see what you mean-hope you get help soon
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

How successful have you been with mixing blind with Console/Fader 1?

The day job and the black mirror is getting to the point where I don’t even want to mix, as the thought of another screen is ruining the vibe.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
How successful have you been with mixing blind with Console/Fader 1?

The day job and the black mirror is getting to the point where I don’t even want to mix, as the thought of another screen is ruining the vibe.
Black Mirror?
Gear Head

Volume/Select knob no longer working

I don't know what's up but my Volume/Select knob isn't working anymore.
I haven't used my Console 1 in a while (until now) but my Volume/Select knob is no longer functioning when I turn it... The LED doesn't move. Midi isn't being sent (from just that one particular knob) either.

If I open the plugin instance 'graphic' I've been able to move the graphic knob & the hardware knob's LED light will follow around the knob (although, then I tried again & it didn't). All the other knobs still function properly, it seems.

But now I can't control output volume or, more importantly, customize the channels swapping other Softube plugins.

Everything was fine before & I haven't changed my Ableton template (with C1
instances on every channel).

I just updated everything Softube as well...even reinstalled Softube Central.
I'm on mac btw....& the On-Screen Display does connect with it fine.
I have no idea
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazy_Rider View Post
Black Mirror?
Slang for the screens that rule our lives... also a good Netflix series.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Slang for the screens that rule our lives... also a good Netflix series.
Yeah watched them all massive Charlie Brooker fan...
Gear Head

C1 + Nucleus + Cubase = Awesome

Just a heads up for those hoping to create a good analog console workflow. I finally discovered a great combination of items that work perfectly together:

- Cubase 10.5 (OSX)
- SSL Nucleus (V1 or V2, I have V1)
- Console 1 (sitting at the top of the Nucleus within easy arm's reach as a global channelstrip)

Cubase is the ONLY DAW I've used with MCU protocol designed to take full advantage of the above configuration. Selecting a track on the Nucleus now selects the same channel on C1 (could not get this to work in Reaper, Logic or Pro Tools), yielding an excellent console-style workflow with centralized channelstrip and plugin control via the C1. Turning DAW Control mode off reserves C1's Output control for internal plugin gain-staging, leaving my Nucleus faders/pan alone as I prefer.

If anyone out there has a Nucleus and is trying to make it fly, I was shocked to discover how great it works with Cubase, as I'd heard otherwise on the internet. Combined with Softube Console 1 this is a home run. Here's a pic of the setup...
Attached Thumbnails
Softube Console 1 WOW!!!-img_20201104_224045.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I’ve tried using my C1 in midi mode (without the C1 software running) to control 3rd party plugins in Logic. But when I move a pot the parameter I have mapped to moved up/down in approx. 2db increments. Can anyone confirm this behaviour? Or know a way to fix it?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I’ve tried using my C1 in midi mode (without the C1 software running) to control 3rd party plugins in Logic. But when I move a pot the parameter I have mapped moves up/down in approx. 2db increments. Can anyone confirm this behaviour? Or know a way to fix it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by muchasgracias View Post
Just a heads up for those hoping to create a good analog console workflow. I finally discovered a great combination of items that work perfectly together:

- Cubase 10.5 (OSX)
- SSL Nucleus (V1 or V2, I have V1)
- Console 1 (sitting at the top of the Nucleus within easy arm's reach as a global channelstrip)

Cubase is the ONLY DAW I've used with MCU protocol designed to take full advantage of the above configuration. Selecting a track on the Nucleus now selects the same channel on C1 (could not get this to work in Reaper, Logic or Pro Tools), yielding an excellent console-style workflow with centralized channelstrip and plugin control via the C1. Turning DAW Control mode off reserves C1's Output control for internal plugin gain-staging, leaving my Nucleus faders/pan alone as I prefer.

If anyone out there has a Nucleus and is trying to make it fly, I was shocked to discover how great it works with Cubase, as I'd heard otherwise on the internet. Combined with Softube Console 1 this is a home run. Here's a pic of the setup...
Looks great!
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by muchasgracias View Post
Combined with Softube Console 1 this is a home run. Here's a pic of the setup...
Nice setup-

I've got something similar going with X-touch/Qmap and C1 in studio one, it's a great workflow. I had two artist mix + dock in PT in the past and with C1 this setup is way better for what I do. It also has track follow, and MCU+ with qmap (custom plugin mapping, better aux send functions, more integrated functions like packing folders etc).

here's some pics
Sad state of DAW controllers in 2020

Ergonomically very similar to yours- love it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Nice setup-

I've got something similar going with X-touch/Qmap and C1 in studio one, it's a great workflow. I had two artist mix + dock in PT in the past and with C1 this setup is way better for what I do. It also has track follow, and MCU+ with qmap (custom plugin mapping, better aux send functions, more integrated functions like packing folders etc).

here's some pics
Sad state of DAW controllers in 2020

Ergonomically very similar to yours- love it.
So qmap would allow the x touch to follow expanded and collapsed folders in studio 1? I’ll have to look into it if that’s the case, that’s one of the things I don’t like with the x touch in s1 that I like in logic, although the console 1 integration is better in s1.
Lives for gear

CONSOLE 1 USERS: do not update to UAD 9.13 otherwise your C1 instances using a 1176 will be messed up.
Gear Addict
Quote:
CONSOLE 1 USERS: do not update to UAD 9.13 otherwise your C1 instances using a 1176 will be messed up.
The same with the la-3a, but as usual nobody cares.
Thanx for the heads up, guys. Already had updated UAD, glad I rarely use anything else inside C1 than its own channelstrip stuff any more.
Quote:
Thank you so much for this information.
Hope they can fix it.
I would like to have the mixknob feature
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufino1 View Post
So qmap would allow the x touch to follow expanded and collapsed folders in studio 1? I’ll have to look into it if that’s the case, that’s one of the things I don’t like with the x touch in s1 that I like in logic, although the console 1 integration is better in s1.
Yeah, I forget because I haven't spent much time with S1 without qmap, but I think it works that way as well as long as you click the remote button in the mixer.

With remote unchecked, the daw mixer and the control surface don't sync for folder collapse/expand, or scene selection. With remote checked they do (I think, I always have it checked). The button is at the bottom left of the mixer.
Gear Addict
Just wanted to put this out there. I know there are issues and everything isn't perfect when reading some of the comments about C1, but I absolutely love it. Every time I use it I realize how much more fun I have mixing compared to before. Was playing around with it over the weekend and just having a ball using it. Also it sounds so freaking good.

I'm hoping the American class A goes on sell for Black-Friday.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Logic Pro X 10.6 out and nothing new about console 1 full integration...
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodic dreamer View Post
Just wanted to put this out there. I know there are issues and everything isn't perfect when reading some of the comments about C1, but I absolutely love it. Every time I use it I realize how much more fun I have mixing compared to before. Was playing around with it over the weekend and just having a ball using it. Also it sounds so freaking good.

I'm hoping the American class A goes on sell for Black-Friday.
ACA will be on sale next week (from 23th) - at least according to the pics on the Softube site
Gear Addict
Quote:
ACA will be on sale next week (from 23th) - at least according to the pics on the Softube site
I saw that. I'm hoping so
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevi View Post
Logic Pro X 10.6 out and nothing new about console 1 full integration...
Yes, I noticed that and am disappointed... Currently demoing Cubase and enjoying it for a smooth workflow/cooperation between Console 1 and my SSL Nucleus... wish Logic could work similarly as it's my favorite DAW for GUI, speed, etc.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
I wish it was fully integrated with Logic as well, but I don't see it happening.
I think it is something to do with Audio Units compared to VST's.

I've thought about purchasing Studio One, but I am so use to Logic I don't want to have to learn another DAW.
I've also thought about using logic for tracking and doing basic edits and then exporting into Studio One for mixing. This way I could use what I know, but at the same time really utilize Console-1. I am hesitant to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodic dreamer View Post
I wish it was fully integrated with Logic as well, but I don't see it happening.
I think it is something to do with Audio Units compared to VST's.

I've thought about purchasing Studio One, but I am so use to Logic I don't want to have to learn another DAW.
I've also thought about using logic for tracking and doing basic edits and then exporting into Studio One for mixing. This way I could use what I know, but at the same time really utilize Console-1. I am hesitant to do so.
I'd say get a demo of Studio one and Cubase and try that editing in Logic/mixing in another DAW workflow with both of them as they are both fully integrated and you may find in practice one is easier to handle than the other.
📝 Reply