The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UR44 Steinberg said to have shipped - any reviews here?
Old 28th January 2014
  #1
Lives for gear
 

UR44 Steinberg said to have shipped - any reviews here?

Wondering about things like latency, how much volume the headphone outputs have.

Also just checked the price:
- UR44 (with more Pre-s, I/O, etc.) - $300 US on Steinberg website.
- UR28M (less Pre-s, older, etc.) -$399 US on the same site.

With less features, and older, does anyone know why the UR28M would cost more?

If anyone has received a unit, please let us know - thanks!
Old 28th January 2014
  #2
If the UR44's drivers are anything like the UR22, then latency will not be an issue. RME HDSP9632 on my desktop PC, UR22 with the laptop, and I'm seriously impressed with the UR22.

The UR28M offers features like SPDIF and monitor control options.
Old 30th January 2014
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfeltdawn View Post
If the UR44's drivers are anything like the UR22, then latency will not be an issue. RME HDSP9632 on my desktop PC, UR22 with the laptop, and I'm seriously impressed with the UR22.

The UR28M offers features like SPDIF and monitor control options.

Thanks, Heartfeltdawn!

It's just surprising to me that the "cost" of the UR28M's S/PDIF, monitor control options and 2-track input would be $100 more than the UR44 - especially since the UR44 offers 2 extra preamps and 5-pin MIDI connectors.

But what do I know?

Thanks again!
Old 30th January 2014
  #4
Lives for gear
 
norbury brook's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfeltdawn View Post
If the UR44's drivers are anything like the UR22, then latency will not be an issue. RME HDSP9632 on my desktop PC, UR22 with the laptop, and I'm seriously impressed with the UR22.

The UR28M offers features like SPDIF and monitor control options.
Yes, I'd agree. Used my Ur22 for a bunch of gigs in December for the first time with my live keyboard rig and laptop, ran faultlessly at 64 sample buffer.

Sounded great, midi in worked great from my Roland RD, what's not to like.



MC
Old 1st February 2014
  #5
Here for the gear
 

My take

I got a UR44 this week. I'm not impressed. In fact, I'm waiting for a return authorization from Steinberg. I use Logic and am not interested in changing, but Steinberg seems to be pushing Cuebase by crippling this device when used with other DAWs. I couldn't even get the MixFx software to recognize the UR44. At the end of the day it did very little and just isn't going to work for me.
Old 1st February 2014
  #6
Deleted User
Guest
Hmm, I'm thinking of buying one. I use Cubase, but I don't want to be locked in to a DAW because of an interface. When you say that it's crippled for other DAWs, is that with regard to the fx in the unit? I believe that they only appear in the Cubase mixer, and they are VST only. But, can't you still use them for a singer to hear some reverb, regardless of DAW?

Also, how is the unit otherwise, i.e. latency, any pops and clicks, overall sound, preamp quality?

Thanks.
Old 6th February 2014
  #7
Here for the gear
 

I have one and love it.

Pros:
Built like a tank, making it truly portable.
4 mic pres, which is great for drummers (me).
Simple to use, almost idiot proof.
Very good sound quality.
Integration for Cubase users is outstanding, but also very usable in other DAWs. I'm using it with Cubase and Logic Pro X with great success on both.
Great DSP effects, including 4 Yamaha amp simulators.

Cons:
For all of the outputs on it there are only two mixes available. A third would have been nice.
Not bus powered so you need to be near an outlet.

I have had two Focusrite Saffires, which have more features, including more robust mix control software, but I prefer the UR44. It is just easier to set up and get to the business of recording. While I like the "color" of the Focusrite mic pres, the Yamaha D-Pres have a greater gain range and are really clean even at peak levels. The morphing channel strips offer a good range of color right out of the box.
Old 23rd January 2015
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemdsn View Post
I have one and love it.

Pros:
Built like a tank, making it truly portable.
4 mic pres, which is great for drummers (me).
Simple to use, almost idiot proof.
Very good sound quality.
Integration for Cubase users is outstanding, but also very usable in other DAWs. I'm using it with Cubase and Logic Pro X with great success on both.
Great DSP effects, including 4 Yamaha amp simulators.

Cons:
For all of the outputs on it there are only two mixes available. A third would have been nice.
Not bus powered so you need to be near an outlet.

I have had two Focusrite Saffires, which have more features, including more robust mix control software, but I prefer the UR44. It is just easier to set up and get to the business of recording. While I like the "color" of the Focusrite mic pres, the Yamaha D-Pres have a greater gain range and are really clean even at peak levels. The morphing channel strips offer a good range of color right out of the box.
How much gain does the 44 have? I'm looking to purchase something I can plug other preamps into and get good conversion and enough gain for a sm7b.
Old 23rd January 2015
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesisgk View Post
How much gain does the 44 have? I'm looking to purchase something I can plug other preamps into and get good conversion and enough gain for a sm7b.
I have owned a UR44 for over a year using Cubase and Studio One with zero problems. The built in software does work with S1 and you can use the reverb for listening plus it has a gain section with Comp/Eq that gave me plenty of headroom for my RE20.

If you want lots of gain on your sm7b, the Cloudlifter (I think that's the name) does wonders giving you 20db of gain and is a passive device phantom powered that just hooks up between your dynamic mike and the input. Good luck!

Also I turned the UR44 on, the day it came and have never turned it off with no issues at all.


www.soundcloud.com/tkeefe
Old 23rd January 2015
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesisgk View Post
How much gain does the 44 have?
+52dB of gain on the Mic inputs. Specs.
Old 25th January 2015
  #11
Gear Maniac
What about rtl for guitars playing amp Sims? Is latency noticeable?
Old 27th January 2015
  #12
Lives for gear
 
djshire's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemdsn View Post
I got a UR44 this week. I'm not impressed. In fact, I'm waiting for a return authorization from Steinberg. I use Logic and am not interested in changing, but Steinberg seems to be pushing Cuebase by crippling this device when used with other DAWs. I couldn't even get the MixFx software to recognize the UR44. At the end of the day it did very little and just isn't going to work for me.
Does anyone know if this is still a problem?
Old 27th January 2015
  #13
Lives for gear
 
sardi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemdsn View Post
I got a UR44 this week. I'm not impressed.
One week later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemdsn View Post
I have one and love it.
Hmmmm...

Old 27th January 2015
  #14
Gear Addict
 
rkwyent's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post
One week later.



Hmmmm...

Lol. A drastic change of heart in 5 days. Im ready to hear this explanation....
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump