The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM 2014: Bitwig Studio to be launched on March 26, 2014
Old 22nd January 2014
News Desk Editor

NAMM 2014: Bitwig Studio to be launched on March 26, 2014

BITWIG STUDIO is a new and innovative music creation, recording, and performance software that supports all three major computing platforms: Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. Combining traditional arrangement sequencing with modern performance-oriented clip launching workflows, BITWIG STUDIO is the ultimate solution for realizing all your musical ideas across every stage of production.

BITWIG STUDIO offers a state-of-the-art audio engine under the hood, with full multi-processing support, a unified modulation system, 32/64-bit VST plugin bridging, and VST plugin crash protection.

BITWIG STUDIO comes with over 50 included devices. Conventional Instruments (Polysynth, FM-4, Organ, Sampler and analog-style Drum Modules) and FX (Delays, Equalizers, Compressors), as well as Container devices (to build parallel instrument or effect chains), Note FX, and Modulator devices (additional controllers like LFOs, envelope followers and step sequencers for modulating any other device). Extend this collection with your favorite VST effects and instruments, and use them side by side with BITWIG STUDIO internal devices.

Bitwig Studio features
  • Cross-platform DAW (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux).
  • Intuitive non-linear sequencing for the studio and beyond.
  • Full multi-core and multi-processor support.
  • VST 2.4 support with built-in 32/64-bit bridging and plug-in crash protection.
  • Proprietary time-stretching technology.
  • Multi-display support for up to 3 displays.
  • Tabbed document interface for multiple projects open at once with drag-and-drop between them.
  • Over 50 included devices, including conventional Instruments (Polysynth, FM-4, Organ, Sampler and analog-style Drum Modules) and FX (Delays, Equalizers, Compressors), as well as Container devices (to build parallel instrument or effect chains), Note FX, and Modulator devices (additional controllers like LFOs and step sequencers for modulating any other device)..
  • Unified Modulation System: Use Macro Controls, Note Expressions, LFOs, and Envelope Followers to modulate any device parameter, including nested internal devices and even VST plug-ins.
  • Advanced layered editing.
  • Note and Audio expressions, including per-note Micro-Pitch Control.
  • Dynamic Object Inspector: Select multiple notes or events and edit them together with the interactive parameter histogram, easily adding variations as you go.
  • Automatic sample slicing to both Sampler or Drum Machine.
  • Multiple audio events per clip: Automatically cut up samples and rearrange them on the fly in the Detail Editor.
  • Dedicated Device Panel Mappings with color-coded knobs and buttons for an overview at a glance.
  • Support for various MIDI controllers out of the box.
  • Sound Content: Over one thousand presets and sounds, 3 GB of factory content: Drum Machines (808, 909… Percussion), Acoustic Drums, multi-sampled instruments like Wurlitzer, Rhodes, Vibraphone, Marimba, Acoustic and Electric Bass, Sampled Drum and Instrument loops, Various Sound FX, and additional partner content.
  • Open Controller API: Create and customize functionality for virtually any MIDI controller, including scripting access to nearly every feature of BITWIG STUDIO.
  • Upon release, Bitwig Studio will be available to purchase for $449.99 USD (MSRP)/$399.99 USD (MAP)/329 EUR. The download version will cost $399 USD/299 EUR.

Bitwig will showcase its debut product during the Winter NAMM 2014 in Anaheim (Hall C, Booth 5000).

Bitwig staff will be available for product demonstrations, and to answer questions regarding BITWIG STUDIO. Attendees will get a first look at the possibilities using the Open Controller API included in BITWIG STUDIO, which allows for custom controller integration above and beyond standard static midi control templates.

Bitwig’s partners Nektar, Livid Instruments and Novation are among the first to offer products that not only work with standard note and controller input, but offer a deeper integration within BITWIG STUDIO. Dedicated mixer control, clip launching, step-sequencing, device navigation and dynamic device parameter mappings – Bitwig’s Open Controller scripting API offers unprecedented possibilities to integrate hardware and software. The API, documentation and the scripts are accessible to everyone, from the end user to third party companies.

Link : Bitwig | Bitwig Studio
Attached Thumbnails
NAMM 2014: Bitwig Studio to be launched on March 26, 2014-bitwigstudio.jpg  
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear

Let's see the controllers!
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear

Ugh at that price... Ableton Live crossgrades?
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear
At that price? I think it's super reasonable - after a demo of course I've drunk the cool aid.
Look at the histograms! Look at the in clip editing with midi and audio in the same clip - no ridiculous disconnect between arrangement and session - that dichotomy killed me in live.
Again I don't think its a total logic type replacement as I found out with live - they have their place but this looks like a creative dream to work with
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear

Have you seen how much Logic costs, lately? And the content it comes with? I would not call Bitwig price competitive, it strikes me as being the result of "how high can we get away with" thinking.
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear
Oh I highly doubt that - they've been cained from pilar to post for the delays so the goodwill and excitement from people like me was starting to wane into nebula territory.
Apart from logic - which is owned by the largest company on the planet - another daw with what bitwig is offers at a similar price?
Old 22nd January 2014
Deleted User
Who wants an app whose Wig is based on a Byte, Id rather have a ByteWig app myself, it would rock 8 times as hard!! LOL
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear
It's a shocking name - bought to you by moogs phatty team.....
Old 22nd January 2014
Deleted User
Looks like a cross between Ableton and a standard DAW to me. Have to investigate it more, looks pretty cool
Old 22nd January 2014
Gear Nut

I'm excited to finally check this out for myself! Ableton Live has some phenomenal ideas but it always lacked a few key features I needed, hopefully Bitwig can fit the bill.
Old 22nd January 2014
Gear Addict

I'm definitely interested, with that price. I'll have to think about upgrading to full reason or bitwig in the near future.

Is there someone who has a device list?
Old 22nd January 2014
Gear Addict

I'm definitely interested, with that price. I'll have to think about upgrading to full reason or bitwig in the near future.

Is there someone who has a device list? No pitch corrector/auto tune?
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear

For Linux!

But only Ubuntu 12 for now.
Old 22nd January 2014
Gear Addict
there price is fine. if it performs better than ableton im in!
Old 22nd January 2014
Gear Addict
also when are you gonna release a demo version?
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear
Demo on release date - the pitch correction is built in at clip level - have. Look at the vids on their site. Modulation anyone? I love the lfo features
Old 22nd January 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake View Post
Have you seen how much Logic costs, lately?
Logic is owned by Apple. I can't see at all why you would compare the 2 on price.
You do understand you have to buy a Mac in order to use Logic?
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswitch View Post
Logic is owned by Apple. I can't see at all why you would compare the 2 on price.
Yes. Logic still offers a hell of a lot for the price. And it is possible to by used / refurbished Macs, you know?
Old 22nd January 2014
Gear Nut

Bitwig and Logic, completely different set of users and environment
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear

Looks awesome! And GOD so sick of people bitching about prices - get a better job then.

Hmm, this could have me switching from Cubase. It looks great, whereas Ableton is the ugliest thing to grace a computer screen, ever.
Old 22nd January 2014
Gear Addict
one other thing i can't really get from your description. hows the outboard implementation? i still run a lot of outboard gear and i love the "external instrument, external efx" containers in ableton. do you deliver something similar?
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi View Post
one other thing i can't really get from your description. hows the outboard implementation? i still run a lot of outboard gear and i love the "external instrument, external efx" containers in ableton. do you deliver something similar?
Yeah I'm trying to get this info too
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
Looks awesome! And GOD so sick of people bitching about prices - get a better job then..
Snobbish much? There is no better job than one you cannot be fired from.

As it happens I'm finding - as time goes on - I'm more reluctant to further invest in software. The update cycle is wearisome, activation issues tiresome (thank goodness I never invested in any products protected with iLok), and as a result hardware looks more tempting by the day.
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear

Daaaamn. Just watched the Audio Clip manipulation and just with this feature, I'm already seeing the fun/possibilities unlocked. For sure this is gonna give #Ableton a big run. And the Bounce Fx is great feature. Real real extensive features that you wish your DAW would have. Can't wait to give it a try ;-)
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake View Post
Snobbish much? There is no better job than one you cannot be fired from.

As it happens I'm finding - as time goes on - I'm more reluctant to further invest in software. The update cycle is wearisome, activation issues tiresome (thank goodness I never invested in any products protected with iLok), and as a result hardware looks more tempting by the day.
Looks like bitwig isn't for you my friend, any reason your still in this thread?
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzwald View Post
Let's see the controllers!
What controllers?

ns
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswitch View Post
A weird argument. R u buying a pc in order to use bitwig? What if u already have a Mac? People usually have a computer long before the daw.

Been seeing people on gs talking about bitwig for quite some time. It looks like Live. What's different?
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
Looks like bitwig isn't for you my friend, any reason your still in this thread?
Because for the occasions I use Live, I would like to know if Bitwig is in anyway more efficient and reliable. It also offers Linux users a professional option for music production. Maybe these things are worth the price, but priced as it is, Bitwig Studio has a lot to prove.

As it happens, I would like this to be good software. It certainly looks like it improves on Live in many ways.
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear

The only DAW that I don't have is the door to dimension 4
and I'm not buying into Bitwig at that price.

Cheers
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear

Am I wrong or does it leave out Audio Unit support? Although I know most plug-ins are also available as VST's I still wonder why they've opted out of AU's?

Is this geared towards more PC/Linux users?

R.
📝 Reply