The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Replacement for Abbey Road RS124 compressor plugin Dynamics Plugins
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

Replacement for Abbey Road RS124 compressor plugin

Hi everyone,
Still super bummed out about AR's decision to discontinue the RS124. It's the one compressor that I've never found a replacement for. What are some options I should be thinking about?

Let me say what I find especially useful about the RS124, so it'll be clearer as to what I'm looking for. I mainly use the 124 as an RMS compressor. I love the slow attack/release envelope. I have a podcast that I do every week for a client which features a live band as well as an open dialogue in the same room, and I use the 124 on the 2-bus, where it works beautifully. It brings up the low level detail when people are talking in the room without a mic, and it smashes down the live band to keep things fairly even between band/dialogue sections of the night so that I don't have to do much volume automation.

That's one way I use the 124. There are other ways I use it on different projects, but it's a HUGE timesaver for me in just that one application.

What are other options for a good RMS compressor - slow attack, slow release. Any thoughts?
Old 15th January 2014
Sorry can't help you with that. The RS124 is unique... That it's discontinued doesn't mean you can't use it anymore?
Old 15th January 2014
Plugins | vladg/sound

Try the Molot it's free slow compressor, also check out

Tokyo Dawn Labs | Tokyo Dawn Records

They have a RMS compressor.
Old 16th January 2014
Gear Nut

I like the DC8C2 (has rms adjustment) compressor, Molot rms comp is nice also. Recomp has an rms adjustment also but I haven't used it much. I'm a PC Windows VST guy. Sometime slow rms leveler is very cool. Haven't heard the RS124 legend though...
Old 16th January 2014
Gear Addict

I'm with you markham. Nothing sounds like the RS124 with the fuse button engaged. It can turn a wimpy timpani hit into a monster explosion without sounding overcooked. Sad to lose it to future upgrades in DAW.
Old 17th January 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for the thoughts so far. I'll give the Klanghelm a try. I've also wondered about dipping my toes into Compassion. It's such a shame, really. The RS124 is such a special compressor, as far as I'm concerned. Still frustrated with AR for not finding a way to continue its development or have another partner re-model the hardware.

Any other thoughts from anyone?
Old 17th January 2014
Don't be absurd. You can still use the plug in. Besides, it is being kept alive and in circulation by Softtube.
Old 17th January 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Buddha Rats View Post
Don't be absurd. You can still use the plug in. Besides, it is being kept alive and in circulation by Softtube.
Where did you get this info? They picked up the brilliance pack, and that's it, AFAIK. And sure, we can still use the plugin, but for how long? The notion that we can remain an island of archaic software doesn't hold up anymore. Compatibility is a major key to success in our changing business.
Old 17th January 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by markham View Post
Thanks for the thoughts so far. I'll give the Klanghelm a try. I've also wondered about dipping my toes into Compassion. It's such a shame, really. The RS124 is such a special compressor, as far as I'm concerned. Still frustrated with AR for not finding a way to continue its development or have another partner re-model the hardware.

Any other thoughts from anyone?
Markham, have you tried the UBK-1 from Kush? The Splat and Crush modes have pretty darn slow release times and you might be able to mimic some of the behavior.
Old 17th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think he is referring to the fact that it will remain 32bit, and everything is obviously making the glacial shift to 64… so at some point it will be extant, and without sometimes futzy "bridges" etc, he is preparing himself for the inevitable.
Old 17th January 2014
Gear Head

Maybe Softube can do the 64 bit version?!
With Brilliance Pack was the same.
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm certainly not trying to be absurd. I recently picked up the upgrade to Logic X, and since it's 64-bit only, it's not very fun for me to work with 32-bit plugs. Eventually, there will be no more 32-bit DAWs to work in, and as lestermagneto said, I'm just trying to prepare for that day. I'm not being bitchy about the situation. Just asking about similar alternatives people have found helpful, because I haven't found any that do what it does.

And no, Softube is *not* keeping it alive and in circulation. Perhaps you're thinking of the Brillance Pack, which they coded for AR?
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynedelario View Post
Markham, have you tried the UBK-1 from Kush? The Splat and Crush modes have pretty darn slow release times and you might be able to mimic some of the behavior.
Yeah, I've got the UBK-1, and I love it. Great compressor. I haven't been able to get it to do what the 124 does so effortlessly: gentle, but colorful, compression that doesn't fall apart with crazy-high dB reduction. I'll give the UBK-1 another go in that application and see if I can get it to behave closer to what I'm looking for.
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear

I agree it's a great comp that nothing else sounds like. Just in case the Softube guys read this and bring it back to life, it would be nice if you added some input and output gain controls to it as well.
It has a funky gain structure which I know is part of the emulation but if someone took the sound of the RS124 and put it in a more modern design with a HPF and a mix knob, it would be amazing and would probably sell very well. From what I've read it seems the gain issue kept a lot of people from using it.
Yeah, I'm over 32 bit as well and my rig has never been happier.
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markham View Post
I'm certainly not trying to be absurd. I recently picked up the upgrade to Logic X, and since it's 64-bit only, it's not very fun for me to work with 32-bit plugs.
A few times lately I've read Logic X owners talking about the problems with being 64 bit only.

Why not switch to a different DAW? Why stick with a DAW that hampers you?
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear

All DAWS will eventually be 64bit and the DAW isn't the problem. It's one plug in that sounds unique and it's a shame to see it go.
Old 18th January 2014
Gear Addict

Another plug worth mentioning is the Plug & Mix Retro Compressor. It has a max release of 2 seconds and a max attack of 20ms. Also has a blend knob to help with transparency. Worth trying I suppose.
Retro Compressor | Plug & Mix
Old 18th January 2014
Just use a 670 fairchild on setting 4 and call it a day.
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWave View Post
Maybe Softube can do the 64 bit version?!
With Brilliance Pack was the same.
Softube picked up the brilliance pack as they were the ones who developed it in the first place. They've already been asked about taking over the other Abbey Road plug-ins but as they would have to code them from scratch they would rather just work on new products. Makes sense..

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
I agree it's a great comp that nothing else sounds like. Just in case the Softube guys read this and bring it back to life, it would be nice if you added some input and output gain controls to it as well.
It has a funky gain structure which I know is part of the emulation but if someone took the sound of the RS124 and put it in a more modern design with a HPF and a mix knob, it would be amazing and would probably sell very well. From what I've read it seems the gain issue kept a lot of people from using it.
Since the RS124 was developed by Frank Filipanits at Cool Stuff Labs it may be worth hassling them instead of Softube. They have made some amazing stuff (RS124, UBK-1, NI Solid Mix, URS Strip Pro etc.) and I don't understand why they don't release plug-ins under their own name.

Frank Filipanits was also behind the NI Supercharger and I flucking love that thing!

Personally I won't switch over to using 64-bit DAWs and plug-ins until it's necessary.. which will be when developers stop releasing 32-bit builds of their plug-ins. I just have too many old, abandoned plug-ins that I still love and use.. RS124 included. ****, I still use the Emagic EVP73 occasionally and that thing's ancient! The only problem I ever had was when I was still on a 32-bit OS and I started running into memory allocation problems when using large sample libraries in samplers. Simply switching to a 64-bit OS and sticking with the 32-bit build of the DAW and plug-ins fixed that problem for me..

If I was still a Logic user I would be pretty pissed off about the lack of a 32-bit build. But then I jumped ship long ago when Apple got involved...

Cheers..

RB
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear

I'm actually sticking with Logic 9 in 32-bit build, anyway. My computer doesn't like Mavericks or Logic X. Nevertheless, I'm still on the hunt for an RS124 replacement, just to plan ahead. It's really an awesome software comp.

And honestly, I'm not that pissed at Apple for the lack of a 32-build of Logic X. They gave developers plenty of time to know what was coming. 64-bit is the future. I just wish more devs were on top of it.
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear

maybe compassion from dmg audio ?
this thing is quite deep and capable.
Old 18th January 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Black View Post
Frank Filipanits was also behind the NI Supercharger and I flucking love that thing!
For me the NI Supercharger is the first compressor to come close to some of the things that makes the RS124 so special.
Old 15th September 2015
Here for the gear

Hi.
The Klanghelm MJUC (in Mk1 mode, timing = 2,3 or 4, or Mk3 with slow attack/release) comes close to RS124, though it's a little more coloured.
And the Mk2 can make a good replacement for RS124 plugin FUSE mode (more "brutal" than Mk1 and Mk3)

Last edited by xabilon; 15th September 2015 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: add precision
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

^^^I was going to say MJUC too.

It can sub in for *many* compressors.
Old 1st January 2016
Gear Addict

With the SSL X-Comp you can come extremly close to the RS124.
Old 13th February 2016
Lives for gear

Does anyone know if the RS124 will work with 32 Lives or any other bridge plugin? I just love that suite of plugs but I am going to Logic X from 9 in the next couple weeks.
Old 13th February 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by skythemusic View Post
Does anyone know if the RS124 will work with 32 Lives or any other bridge plugin? I just love that suite of plugs but I am going to Logic X from 9 in the next couple weeks.
Yeah, i use all the Abbey Road plugins in 64 bit with 32 Lives and they work perfectly.
Old 20th May 2016
As mentioned above it does work with 32 Lives. I initially took a look at it and didn't think it would work since it was for audio units and I'm using Pro Tools 12. The key is after 32 Lives has wrapped it, you load it in Pro Tools in DDMF Metaplugin. Here's a short video I put together showing the RS124 as well as the URS Channel Strip Pro running in Pro Tools 12:

Last edited by seawell; 20th May 2016 at 09:11 PM..
Old 21st November 2017
Lives for gear

It seems like maybe the plug was discontinued because of the hardware reissue or something? It was also basically my favorite comp plugin :(
Old 21st November 2017
Lives for gear

Stillwell's Major Tom has an RMS mode, as well as a feed forward/backward switch. Given Chandler's relationship with Plugin-Alliance, I imagine we're more likely to see the RS124 resurface there than at Softube.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search