The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Replacement for Abbey Road RS124 compressor plugin
Old 15th June 2019
  #61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggysane View Post
Unless it's a crazy coincidence, it looks like Royal Compressor is the answer to the mystery

Yeah I think so. Any confirmation about that ? Maybe he was refering to another company...
Old 15th June 2019
  #62
Not sure Mercado_Negro was refering to the United Plugin Royal Compressor because there's no threshold on this on and he said there's one on the plug is testing. Could be great if was able to confirm this or not...
Old 15th June 2019
  #63
Lives for gear
 
Mercado_Negro's Avatar
No guys, that's not the one I was talking about. It's actually a company everyone loves

Btw I see lots of people like the Royal Comp, it's been well received which is great for a new company.
Old 15th June 2019
  #64
Gear Head
So I was going to get the Royal Compressor but is the "company everyone loves" going to be a better comp and should I wait? Thanks!
Old 16th June 2019
  #65
Lives for gear
 
javahut's Avatar
Yeah... but the Royal Compressor is nothing like the RS124 that Abbey Road made. If it even is one at all. The Royal honestly just sounds like very aggressive compressor settings, with a few fixed attack/release times, certainly no functional hold, and some distortion/harmonics... and a GUI that looks like an old RS124. It definitely doesn't do what the Abbey Road RS124 did.

So I look forward to this new "mystery" plugin being released.
Old 16th June 2019
  #66
Lives for gear
 
Mercado_Negro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
Yeah... but the Royal Compressor is nothing like the RS124 that Abbey Road made. If it even is one at all. The Royal honestly just sounds like very aggressive compressor settings, with a few fixed attack/release times, certainly no functional hold, and some distortion/harmonics... and a GUI that looks like an old RS124. It definitely doesn't do what the Abbey Road RS124 did.

So I look forward to this new "mystery" plugin being released.
This is exactly how I felt about it.
Old 16th June 2019
  #67
M2E
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

So I'm guessing this is what Slate is talking about "Everything is going to change" on the 18th... Just guessing of course.

Marc
Old 16th June 2019
  #68
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
So I'm guessing this is what Slate is talking about "Everything is going to change" on the 18th... Just guessing of course.

Marc
He said that it's the company everyone loves (I'm a Slate Everything Bundle subscriber for years BTW). Based on his previous announcement threads it's Acustica for sure
Old 16th June 2019
  #69
Lives for gear
No offense, but I’m guessing that if this is a Slate thing, then maybe we should get back on topic and keep looking.

I’m not much of a Waves fan, but I really do think the newer TG strip covers most of the original Abbey Road plug-ins fairly well, and the Brilliance pack is still available.

I think Chandler or Softube should recreate the RS124 plugin.
Old 16th June 2019
  #70
Here for the gear
 

I don't think everybody loves Slate or Acustica, my guess would be Soundtoys and who doesn't love toys right
Old 16th June 2019
  #71
Gear Addict
 
Sybille's Avatar
 

I'm still using the original plugin (with radix and metaplugin) and it's a great plugin but it's not something you can use everywhere.

Honestly it really enhances the signal, it has nice thick harmonics to it but if you're working on delicate materials, this is definitely not recommended, the fact you can't control the attack and set it to slow for example makes this plugin a little bit of a one trick pony.

That's such a shame, if it does comeback from a new company I really hope we'll be getting more flexbility with controls.
Old 16th June 2019
  #72
Lives for gear
 
Mercado_Negro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybille View Post
I'm still using the original plugin (with radix and metaplugin) and it's a great plugin but it's not something you can use everywhere.

Honestly it really enhances the signal, it has nice thick harmonics to it but if you're working on delicate materials, this is definitely not recommended, the fact you can't control the attack and set it to slow for example makes this plugin a little bit of a one trick pony.

That's such a shame, if it does comeback from a new company I really hope we'll be getting more flexbility with controls.
It will be VERY flexible
Old 17th June 2019
  #73
Gear Addict
 
Sybille's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
It will be VERY flexible
Can't wait to know, then
Old 17th June 2019
  #74
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cihan Baris View Post
I don't think everybody loves Slate or Acustica, my guess would be Soundtoys and who doesn't love toys right
Soundtoys is probably the most universally beloved plugin developer there is.
They also haven't had a major release in a while.
I still doubt it's them but fingers crossed.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
No guys, that's not the one I was talking about. It's actually a company everyone loves

Btw I see lots of people like the Royal Comp, it's been well received which is great for a new company.
Thanks for your answer Mercado !

My guess would go for Softube, they are the ones who coded the brilliance pack and they also have done an awesome job with the UAD Chandler Limited plugs.

Any release date estimation ?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #76
pho
Here for the gear
I'm wondering how a FabFilter RS124 would look like.
The Pro-RS!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #77
Gear Nut
 
dznyc's Avatar
 

I finally got around to upgrading to High Sierra, only to find that apparently, the RS124 isn't supported (and can't be wrapped by 32 lives) in this OS.

Super disappointing, but this thread gives some hope that something's coming!!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #78
M2E
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznyc View Post
I finally got around to upgrading to High Sierra, only to find that apparently, the RS124 isn't supported (and can't be wrapped by 32 lives) in this OS.

Super disappointing, but this thread gives some hope that something's coming!!
Hey dznyc, this is not true. I've done it and it worked great. Using it in Pro Tools and Logic Pro. Are you on a Mac?

Thanks, Marc
Old 4 weeks ago
  #79
M2E
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Reason I ask if you're on a Mac now that I think about it is because of people doing the Hackintosh type computers.

I'm on an old Mac Pro was 4.1 and updated to 5.1 4 core. Using Pro Tools 11 HD.
I also use PTHD10 on another drive ala Maverick for recordings.

Hope that clears up any miscommunication.

You can do it and theres still hope.

Marc
Old 4 weeks ago
  #80
Gear Addict
 

I think if its an official Abbey Road RS124 it would be Waves.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #81
M2E
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pali View Post
I think if its an official Abbey Road RS124 it would be Waves.
Abbey Road worked with Cool Stuff Labs to create a original RS124 plugin for TDM/RTAS then later VST and AU.

http://coolstufflabs.com/latest.html

Hope this clears that up for ya.

Now Waves has a licensing deal with Abbey Road so we'll see if the do a plugin to this unit.

Thanks, Marc
Old 4 weeks ago
  #82
Gear Nut
 
dznyc's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Reason I ask if you're on a Mac now that I think about it is because of people doing the Hackintosh type computers.

I'm on an old Mac Pro was 4.1 and updated to 5.1 4 core. Using Pro Tools 11 HD.
I also use PTHD10 on another drive ala Maverick for recordings.

Hope that clears up any miscommunication.

You can do it and theres still hope.

Marc
Hi Marc,
Thanks for your response. This is very encouraging. I’m on a Mac Pro 6,1. I wasn’t able to get it validated in logic, I keep getting an “unable to open” error during validation. I wrote to Sound Radix and their response was “Thanks for your email. I'm afraid that Abbey Road RS124 is not compatible with macOS High Sierra and therefore won't work with 32 Lives either.”. I had assumed that was that, but I’ll keep working on it today. Thanks again!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #83
Gear Nut
 
dznyc's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Hey dznyc, this is not true. I've done it and it worked great. Using it in Pro Tools and Logic Pro. Are you on a Mac?

Thanks, Marc
Well, thanks to you, Marc, I went in and worked on this again and was able to get the RS124 to wrap and validate properly in Logic!!

What a relief. Still confused as to why the makers of 32 lives would tell me it wouldn't work, but I'm just happy to have it back.

Thank you again!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #84
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznyc View Post
Well, thanks to you, Marc, I went in and worked on this again and was able to get the RS124 to wrap and validate properly in Logic!!

What a relief. Still confused as to why the makers of 32 lives would tell me it wouldn't work, but I'm just happy to have it back.

Thank you again!
Yes, I too had kept my old AR RS124 plugin on life support via 32 Lives and initially had a problem in High Sierra -- and experienced your same sense of relief when I got it to work again.

But I'm now being forced into Mojave and I suspect I've reached the end of the line for AR RS124 via 32 Lives. In any case -- it's on borrowed time. Depressing!

It's beyond perplexing (and maddening) why someone hasn't re-issued this plug-in @ 64bit s. Disappointing to hear several people say that Royal Compressor does not compare. I note in the Fuse Audio threads, people are always begging Ray to do one. And I can't imagine why Waves -- who seems to have become Abbey Road's exclusive plug-in licensee -- hasn't done an officially licensed one. ????

To me it's the best -- and most unique -- of all the legendary Abbey Road gear (at least based on the existing plugin emulations -- I've never used any of the actual gear.) I particularly liked having the choice of 3 separate RS124's that were modeled for the plug-in.

Can't imagine a legitimate RS124 plugin wouldn't make good money for some developer. Come on...all you great developers out there....SOMEBODY!!!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #85
Gear Maniac
 

still using mine with 32 Lives in Mojave. works great. I grabbed a couple Liverpool hardware units just in case it ever stops, so I bake in much more than I used to if I'm tracking, but that happens less and less and I mix more and more from other folks, so I'm glad it's still here!!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #86
Lives for gear
 
vze26m98's Avatar
 

I believe it’s Chandler that has the lock on the 124:

https://chandlerlimited.com/rs124-compressor/

Then there’s Chandler relationship with PA to contend with.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #87
Gear Nut
 
dznyc's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vze26m98 View Post
I believe it’s Chandler that has the lock on the 124:

https://chandlerlimited.com/rs124-compressor/

Then there’s Chandler relationship with PA to contend with.
That Chandler piece is beautiful.
Admittedly though, when it was first announced, it was the first time I'd ever hoped that a hardware piece nailed the vibe of a software plug in.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #88
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgkeys View Post
still using mine with 32 Lives in Mojave. works great.
Relieved to hear -- thanks for letting me know!

Nonetheless...I fear the RS124/32 Lives workaround's days are numbered...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #89
M2E
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

I have a feeling PA is going to release a new one soon. Just a weird feeling.

Marc
Old 3 weeks ago
  #90
Gear Maniac
 
4fmb's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznyc View Post
I finally got around to upgrading to High Sierra, only to find that apparently, the RS124 isn't supported (and can't be wrapped by 32 lives) in this OS.

Super disappointing, but this thread gives some hope that something's coming!!
It *is* super disappointing, yes. The RS124 is the only reason I can remember at the moment that I'm still on Sierra on my studio MacPro. On everything else, I've gone to High Sierra and everything (else) is smooth!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump