The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Snow Leopard vs Maverick, that is the question
Old 27th February 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

So it's been about 10 months since the last post on this thread, and I'd really be interested in knowing if opinions have changed for the better regarding upgrading from Snow Leopard to Mavericks, or better yet - to Yosemite. I've held off all this time upgrading from 10.6.8, but it really has reached the point where one is locked out from using a large percentage of music software if still using SL.

So a simple question: is it safe and advisable to upgrade to Yosemite, or least to Mavericks for music production?

Last edited by sjmarano; 27th February 2015 at 07:24 AM..
Gear Maniac

Mavericks is great guys...Yosemite is a different story...
Old 27th February 2015
Lives for gear

Interesting that I would see this thread at this time. I was thinking of upgrading to 10.7 from 10.6.8, is it really that bad?
Lives for gear

I went from Snow Leopard, to Mountain Lion, and recently to Mavericks for the new Logic update.

I always check out a new OS on an external drive for a few weeks to ensure compatibility.

Old 27th February 2015
Lives for gear

I held on to the Snow Lep as long as possible. Logic 9 was relatively stable although the gui was sluggish at times and I was able to run some old software like the Sound diver editor for my Virus C.
I had pretty much given up in 32 bit plugs because the Logic bridge always seemed to crash. This is on a 2008 Mac Pro, 16gb ram. So I was thinking it must be time for a new computer.

I decided to cleanly install Yosemite and Logic X on a separate, new WD 2tb black, that way I could try it out but still be able to work. I spent several weeks reading up on optimizing Yosemite, which mainly consists of turning off the Notifications and any of the energy saving apps that are more geared toward laptops.

I am blown away at how much better Yosemite and Logic X are! I haven't had any system related crashes and maybe one Logic crash that was the fault of a 3rd party plugin. The overall speed and response is so much better, it feels like I have a new computer. Logic X takes some getting used to but there are so many great new features that I use everyday. 10.1 is a solid, feature rich app.

Yosemite integrate my iPhone and iPad seamlessly. If I add a contact on my phone, it's automatically on all my devices. Love this.
I wouldn't install over an old system and I'd keep 10.6.8 as a working rig but I couldn't be happier. I've read horror stories but most seem to be wifi related on laptops which don't apply to me. Do some research, buy a new drive, take it for a spin! I'm glad I waited until the bugs were worked out of Logic X but its very inspiring working with the new software and all the sounds and features. Did I mention the plugin control in the free ipad app?
Lives for gear

Yosemite running fine here with all of my audio apps. Like guavadude says, install to a secondary drive and play with it for a few weeks.
Old 28th February 2015
Lives for gear

I'm on Mountain Lion, my bud is running a very similar Yosemite setup without audio problems (but with a known Yosemite WiFi connection bug). I'm planning to finally upgrade when 10.10.3 comes out (the first pre-release was sent to developers three weeks ago).
Old 28th February 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Wow, I must admit that so far all of these very positive responses come as a very pleasant and true surprise. A VERY different outcome than I was expecting based on the overwhelmingly negative comments that I had read here and elsewhere a little over a year ago about the 'horrors' of upgrading from 10.6.8 for those who use the Mac for music production. Frankly, I thought that at best I would receive mixed recommendations about upgrading to Mavericks, and decidedly negative feedback about upgrading to Yosemite. But these comments about positive experiences with Yosemite are very unexpected. The 'cynic' in me suggests that I hold off a little bit and allow others here on the forum to respond...

Last edited by sjmarano; 28th February 2015 at 05:51 AM..
Old 28th February 2015
Lives for gear

All software seems to react a little differently for all users and hardware. The only way to tell if it works for you is to try it, on a separate drive. There are "enhancements" like Notification Center that are trying to make the desktop experience more like an iPhone, but I have an iPhone so I don't need my desktop repeating every Calendar event and notification that shows up on the phone. I suggest running an OS as lean as possible. If I had all the extra filler apps running in the background, I bet the screen response would be sluggish.

Now I will say that the 10.10.2 update did not install correctly and I've read other users having the same issue. It downloads but won't complete the install. I'm going to wait for the 10.10.3 update and see if that cures the issue before I do anything drastic. So it's not all sunshine and unicorns but for me, it's a ton better than the older OS I was clinging to.
Old 28th February 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Thanks, Guavadude. If I may ask, besides Logic have you (or others you know) had any experience with other DAWs under Yosemite (e.g. Ableton)?
And on the sound side, have you had experience with applications like Kontakt, Omnisphere, Alchemy running under Yosemite?
Old 28th February 2015
Lives for gear

I dint have Alchemy but all the others mentioned have been rock solid.
Get the latest versions and latest drivers of everything.
I dont use any 32 bit bridges as I've found them to cause crashes but you really just need to dive in and start trying stuff out. Don't be in a hurry and don't corrupt your current system and rig.
Old 1st March 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Thanks for the help, Guavadude. Excellent advice, and I really appreciate it.
Old 2nd March 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
All software seems to react a little differently for all users and hardware. The only way to tell if it works for you is to try it, on a separate drive.
This.

Speculation is seemingly useless, especially with regards to Yosemite. Personally, I find Logic Pro X 10.1.1 with Yosemite 10.10.2 (updated from Mavericks) to be the most stable since Snow Leopard. Perhaps even more stable overall, both in and out of Logic, as Mavericks was giving me some crashes. On the other hand, my first atempted clean install of Yosemite was a disaster...I lost contact with the App Store and couldn't even get the updates, much less Logic installed!
Old 2nd May 2015
Here for the gear

I have been using a 2006 Mac,it has snow leopard 10.6, and 2gb & 250gb on the hard drive, and I use the pioneer ddj sr with Serato dj,and I don't have any problems, now I currently have a 2007 Mac with mountain lion and 2gb and 250gb on the hard drive, and serato discontinued mountain lion, my question is I'm going to install snow leopard to my 2007 Mac, but which version should I use? Thank you sincerely Julio, @ [email protected]
Old 2nd May 2015
Lives for gear

If you're installing Snow Lep then use 10.6.8. That's a very stable system.
If possible, you should install more ram.
📝 Reply