The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audient ID22 v SPL Crimson
Old 29th May 2020
Here for the gear
As for sound quality, in the end, it seemed to simply come down to personal preference.
Old 9th July 2020
Here for the gear
Have an Audient iD22, Crimson V3 comes tomorrow from Thomann.

User @ donaldtrump RAVED about how much he preferred the Crimson to the iD22, especially with Focal Alpha 80's, which I have.

We shall see...The Audient sounds fantastic!

Last edited by Nigel; 10th July 2020 at 06:32 PM..
Old 9th July 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Have an Audient iD22, Crimson V3 comes tomorrow from Thomann.

User @ donald Trump RAVED about how much he preferred the Crimson to the iD22, especially with Focal Alpha 80's, which I have.

We shall see...The Audient sounds fantastic!
I'm interested in hearing your opinion. I demoed them both back a few years ago. I thought the Audient was slightly clearer but a little antiseptic sounding, quite like the RME I'd been using. I preferred the Crimson and have been using one ever since.
Old 10th July 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I'm interested in hearing your opinion. I demoed them both back a few years ago. I thought the Audient was slightly clearer but a little antiseptic sounding, quite like the RME I'd been using. I preferred the Crimson and have been using one ever since.
I agree. I love the Audient, it's clear, detailed, wide, interesting. The Crimson's high end is easier to listen to at high levels, and there's a dimension to the sound, the lower mids especially, that is inviting.

Apples and oranges, really. I've had the Audient a few weeks and can keep it another two months. Going to put the Crimson through its paces for now and observe it more. So far, my God, it's "musical" for lack of a better word, and the Audient is perhaps a tad more "exact."

Is there a subjective/objective technical lexicon of terms available here somewhere? Don't want to distort perception with bad language.
Old 10th July 2020
Here for the gear
I was monitoring via 1|2>XLR>Alpha 80's and 3|4>1/4" to RCA>Yamaha YST-SW120 on the Audient.

For the Crimson, I have to use 3|4>1/4" to RCA>Y-cables>Alpha 80's and Sub.

The Focals have XLR and RCA, and the RCA is at -10 db.

Possible to compare these two configurations honestly or will the differences negate objectivity to any degree? Please advise, sage slutz!!!

Don't want to misperceive based on misinformation!
Old 10th July 2020
Here for the gear
Crimson DI's sound so good, natural, inviting, inspiring, love them. Like folks say, the "console" sound. Can't wait to get to tracking!
Old 10th July 2020
Lives for gear
I used iD22 for years at home and occasionally took it to studio and work with it. The feature set is good, loved the function keys, but didn't love the digital level control, which felt too stepped for me.

Soundwise I was pretty happy it felt nice and safe to work with. However when I used it at the studio with good speakers more often and for longer times I began to feel like there was something strange happening in the highs. Like there would be something ringing or resonating, and once I got sensitive with it, it was hard to ignore. Could be just my unit though and a smallish thing that still felt like problem. On one occasion I did a transfer from analog tape to PT using Lynx Aurora adc, then moved the files to my PC and had a listen through the tracks. While it was not too scientific, the difference was not small! Audient seemed congested and kinda castrated in comparison. Lynx was more open, a bit more midrangey (I think it has a bit aggressive mids, some hear it flat etc..), and the highs and lows sounded more like what we had on tape. The Audient sounded like it had filtered lows and again I felt the weird action in the highs. I was supposed to mix the album itb using my iD22 and it felt so wrong. I ordered myself a Crimson and have been more than happy with it. Love how it sounds, easily the best small unit imo!
Old 10th July 2020
Lives for gear
So most are commenting on the DAC part of the interface and I think here, the filters used are what COULD be causing "ringing". But how would one compare the ADC part of the Audient or Crimson? I suppose it's harder to judge unless you use a separate DAC to playback stuff recorded with both ADC's?
Old 11th July 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Crimson DI's sound so good, natural, inviting, inspiring, love them. Like folks say, the "console" sound. Can't wait to get to tracking!
Yeah, I feel the same way, particularly recording bass guitar. I've never had such a good sound from ANY other DI.

And yeah, it's difficult describing sound, tone and timbre but I speak about the same language you do with this stuff.

Thanks for getting back.

Jim
Old 11th July 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
So most are commenting on the DAC part of the interface and I think here, the filters used are what COULD be causing "ringing". But how would one compare the ADC part of the Audient or Crimson? I suppose it's harder to judge unless you use a separate DAC to playback stuff recorded with both ADC's?
You sir are correct. I never got around to tracking with the Audient. I do have some fairly rad guitar kit, so-to-speak. Tube amps with NOS glass tuned, Mesa-spec V30's, and a Sytek MPX-4Aii with two JFET channels. I could record some stereo guitar overdubs to one of my tracks with each interface's DAC and upload them here if it'd please the slutz and as reference for Audient and SPL should they lurk here.

That being said I do like the Audient and am not technical enough to objectively assess converter/preamp quality, only identify what works to my taste. I asked them a question via their website and their President emailed me back with his CELL PHONE # (I had questions about the capacitor mods/problems). The device also matches my Sytek and MacBook Pro for a really clean, integrated look. Not to mention the fact that these people are working with UK/EU tax/corporate environments which is a whole level of contrived resistance we here in the states have difficulty imagining. Mercy merci!

Anyone else notice a drop in volume when engaging the Phonitor matrix on the Crimson 3? Listening to Tool's "Invincible" from the long-awaited "Fear Innoculum" at 24/96 is really something with my 30 y/o Sony MDR-V6's. I'm not sure I'll ever turn it off! Amazing quality! Great to have this level to check against my Focals while my g/f sleeps. Man holy **** this is great!

Seems SPL added value (talk back mic/Phonitor Matrix) and elevated the V3 to another price tier, at $999 vs $499 for the iD22 so at this point it should be considered and reported for future customers to both brands. Hats OFF to both companies as they are putting food on the table for humans living under taxing governments (UK/De/Chi)! Bravo!

Let's not forget Audient's software package, which is significant. ARC is rad, and would be WAY COOL if SPL had something similar!
Old 11th July 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
You sir are correct. I never got around to tracking with the Audient. I do have some fairly rad guitar kit, so-to-speak. Tube amps with NOS glass tuned, Mesa-spec V30's, and a Sytek MPX-4Aii with two JFET channels. I could record some stereo guitar overdubs to one of my tracks with each interface's DAC and upload them here if it'd please the slutz and as reference for Audient and SPL should they lurk here.

That being said I do like the Audient and am not technical enough to objectively assess converter/preamp quality, only identify what works to my taste. I asked them a question via their website and their President emailed me back with his CELL PHONE # (I had questions about the capacitor mods/problems). The device also matches my Sytek and MacBook Pro for a really clean, integrated look. Not to mention the fact that these people are working with UK/EU tax/corporate environments which is a whole level of contrived resistance we here in the states have difficulty imagining. Mercy merci!

Anyone else notice a drop in volume when engaging the Phonitor matrix on the Crimson 3? Listening to Tool's "Invincible" from the long-awaited "Fear Innoculum" at 24/96 is really something with my 30 y/o Sony MDR-V6's. I'm not sure I'll ever turn it off! Amazing quality! Great to have this level to check against my Focals while my g/f sleeps. Man holy **** this is great!

Seems SPL added value (talk back mic/Phonitor Matrix) and elevated the V3 to another price tier, at $999 vs $499 for the iD22 so at this point it should be considered and reported for future customers to both brands. Hats OFF to both companies as they are putting food on the table for humans living under taxing governments (UK/De/Chi)! Bravo!

Let's not forget Audient's software package, which is significant. ARC is rad, and would be WAY COOL if SPL had something similar!
Yeah, recording some guitar through both ADC's would be great. May be you can split the signal, and record the same take through both interfaces at the same time? As you will be using the line inputs on the interfaces (from the Sytek), it's possible there will be some level discrepancy, but they should be small and the files could be normalised afterwards. I'd like to hear them to see if i can detect any differences in the ADC's.

I like the idea of a built in talk back, but I simply connect another mic up for that, so the Audient definitely seems like the the best value.
Old 11th July 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Yeah, recording some guitar through both ADC's would be great. May be you can split the signal, and record the same take through both interfaces at the same time? As you will be using the line inputs on the interfaces (from the Sytek), it's possible there will be some level discrepancy, but they should be small and the files could be normalised afterwards. I'd like to hear them to see if i can detect any differences in the ADC's.

I like the idea of a built in talk back, but I simply connect another mic up for that, so the Audient definitely seems like the the best value.
It is literally half the cost at this point, with a DAW, synths, loops/samples, Produce Like a Pro videos, and other goodies.

I've got fairly discriminating taste at my age and my needs are different, so I value accordingly. That said I got the Audient for $400+ ship and the SPL for $600+ ship.

No way to record both at the same time, but I can make two takes this weekend. Takes will be different unless I figure out re-amping but I come from old-school and tons of takes just means more practice. I'd be using the JFET channels (butter on guitars) of the Sytek with either 57's in a Fredman config or one 57 and an LDC. Will need to experiment and get back to you.

Last edited by Nigel; 11th July 2020 at 12:57 PM..
📝 Reply