The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Multi-Client Asio Audio-Interfaces under 400$
Old 20th December 2013
Here for the gear

Multi-Client Asio Audio-Interfaces under 400$

So, the RME Audio-interfaces are known for great multi-client asio's, but are there good viable alternatives for smaller home studio/amateur needs?

If possible around 200-300, but above 500 is just too much for what I can spend.

I've sniffed around some:

Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6

and

STEINBERG UR28M

Both are multi-client from what i've read, are there more/better?
Old 20th December 2013
Lives for gear

TC Electronic Interfaces are multiclient.
Old 20th December 2013
Lives for gear
It's been a while but I'm pretty sure MAudio interfaces are multi-client. I know the Firewire410... I would assume Profire would be too.

They aren't the greatest on Earth but.. they are not bad at all. Lots of people love the Profire.
Old 20th December 2013
Here for the gear

I heard about the M-Audio ones too, but I have no idea if that's for sure and which. But like the Steinberg I always get mixed feelings when looking up on reviews of M-audio interfaces and get totally lost on decision making.

The TC Electronics don't seem to have any USB connected ones, or i'm just looking wrong. I don't have firewire sadly, lessens my choice even more.
Old 20th December 2013
Lives for gear
Do you have an expansion slots to install a Firewire card?

See if Roland interfaces are multiclient.. I've never looked into that
Old 20th December 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
Do you have an expansion slots to install a Firewire card?

See if Roland interfaces are multiclient.. I've never looked into that
I haven't thought about that. I do have plenty of room for a firewire card, but since I never even thought of that I don't know what a cheap 25 one vs an expensive 70 one differs.

Is firewire better for handling multi-client interfaces over usb?
Old 20th December 2013
M-audio Profire 2626 driver (ASIO for Win 7 64bit) supports multi-client. It is now less than $400 new. If you have a PCIe slot, you can install FW controller card with a TI chipset (take a look at the ongoing Echo audiofire threads as well).
Old 20th December 2013
Lives for gear
Firewire is better for bandwidth, but that's really it.

From a driver standpoint, it's really Company A vs. Company B's drivers that determine how well the interface performs from a multi-client driver standpoint.

The firewire interfaces are "usually" better in terms of driver performance just "in general", but there are several examples of USB interfaces that have better driver support than a firewire interface. it's really dependant on how well the company writes drivers, as opposed to the protocol.
Old 20th December 2013
Here for the gear

Which brings me back to the question, are the ones I picked a bad decision? Since USB seems rarer, but more handy in my case. But if the Multi asio's are rubbish then I might have to put some time in to researching firewire pcie cards/interfaces.

Edit: The Scarlett 2i2 seems to be multi-client aswell and i've seen alot of good reviews about that one
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

I was looking at the Steiny as a replacement for my konnekt 6, from reading around it sounds like an excellent sub £300 interface and is probably my next one but i've got a pcie soundcard i couldn't use until recently and overall it's good enough for my needs for now and the drivers are solid.
Old 28th January 2015
Lives for gear

The following is based on my experience as a Windows user.

From my own experience, Native Instruments sound cards have always been true multiclient (I own two). In fact, I think they may have been the first company to offer true multiclient ASIO drivers.

All RME sound cards are also true multi-client.

By 'true' I mean any number of applications can use the ASIO driver and send/receive audio from the audio interface simultaneously. RME use to claim multiclient capabilities for their early drivers (a few years ago) but they were not. Now they are. I am able to use my Fireface 400 as my system audio device and also run several DAWs all using the sound card at the same time.

In my opinion multi-client is super important, not only for audio interfaces but also for MIDI controllers. It amazes me that most manufacturers who supply multi-client drivers don't even mention it in the specification, when for many of us this would be a deal-breaker.

Personally, I would steer clear of Steinberg in general as a company. They offer crappy support, their forum sucks and their products are usually designed to work with Cubase. They are also very good at raping your wallet. If you want reliability and quality go for RME.

Last edited by Scoox; 28th January 2015 at 02:41 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search