The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic Weirdness Audio Interfaces
Old 24th November 2003
Gear nut

Logic Weirdness

Coupla problems, that could be both my relative newness to OSX and 6, or they could just be things that suck.

First and worst, while using OSX/6, my Logic Control begins to lose certain functions, that are still available through the keyboard. Upon restarting the program, I get a message about midi services not being available, requiring me to restart the whole machine in order to get back to work. Annoying.

Next is the problem when I leave the machine for a few minutes, Logic on or not, and if the screensaver mode has engaged, I lose the connection to my 1224, requiring a reboot of the machine, again. Pretty annoying.

Next and more strange is the startup in 6.0 works great as far as finding and using my 1224, no lag or uncertainty, but when I start 6.3, the program says it rebuilding paths or references (don't remember which) and then I have to go into the MOTU control panel to get the program to work. Even worse, once I've done that under 6.3/OSX, then 6.0 does not work in either OSX OR when I go back to OS9, unless I go back and reset the control panel again. Super annoying. And yes, I need OS9 for all the plugs and settings I have.

Any of this ringing any bells, or am I doomed.....

Thanx - WB
Old 24th November 2003
Jam
Lives for gear

A couple of suggestions I would guess from the symptons you are using a PCI 324 card these seem to be more problematic than the 424 if anyone knows of a solution please let me know. But most of friends are using 424s now. There is a more recent version of the usb midi driver on emagics site ( V 1.3 ) than on any disks. Give that a go.

Jam
Old 24th November 2003
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Jam
A couple of suggestions I would guess from the symptons you are using a PCI 324 card these seem to be more problematic than the 424 if anyone knows of a solution please let me know. But most of friends are using 424s now. There is a more recent version of the usb midi driver on emagics site ( V 1.3 ) than on any disks. Give that a go.

Jam
Hmmm, I probably should mention that the machine is a G4/400 bumped up to 800 with an upgrade chip. The 324 has worked flawlessly all along, so I don;t think it's a hardware issue, tho' it certainly could be ( and feels like) an OS problem.

But there is definitely some issue with the different versions of Logic that is also happening, anyone else seen stuff like this?

Thanx for the reply!
Old 25th November 2003
Gear maniac

i'm running 6.3 under os 10.2 on a dual G4.

i have had occasional losses of functionality in the logic control but they get fixed by rebooting logic.

haven't seen the other stuff.

sorry to be dense but maybe you can turn screensaver off to fix at least that problem?
Old 26th November 2003
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally posted by nbutter
i'm running 6.3 under os 10.2 on a dual G4.

i have had occasional losses of functionality in the logic control but they get fixed by rebooting logic.

sorry to be dense but maybe you can turn screensaver off to fix at least that problem?
In my case I have to reboot the machine to get the control back, sometimes twice for it to take.

I think the screensaver issue has more to do with disk spindown and re-connection than the screensaver.....

I have to say, I'm decidedly underwhelmed by Logic on OSX so far....moving back so I can get work done I think.....which leads to a new problem - Here's the new problem!
Old 27th November 2003
Gear nut

BTW, I don't mean to seem ungrateful for the responses, I just don't think they are the heart of it, though I'm starting to think that there is an issue with this 324 thing....
Old 27th November 2003
Gear nut

Sorry to come down on you...but....

with an attitude like that, don'y expect a lot of pointers here.....

You have a problem you cant figure out and post it here...

Someone takes the trouble of thinkong along and say what he thinks could be wrong.

You have NO idea what is happening with your system, but you DO know it is not what he is suggesting. I would say...disable that screensaver, and see what happens...if the problem remains....fine...but now you can say you tried...
Old 27th November 2003
Gear nut

Don't be sorry, be clear, where is the part with the attitude?

And what makes you think I didn't try it already and that's why I think it's not the problem, especially when I first pointed out tht I think the disconnection to the hard drives is part of the problem?

Now you might be seeing a little attitude.

Thanx for jumping in with the help tho!thumbsup
Old 28th November 2003
Gear nut

ok...i think i deserved some sarcasm.....

maybe i overreacted.....

but things like:

Quote:
I think the screensaver issue has more to do with disk spindown and re-connection than the screensaver
kinda reflects the idea of what i posted before.

I cant be of any help i'm afraid because i use other gear. I use a digi001 on winXP with ptle 6.1......so thats why i cant give some truely usable input to you....

The only "real" tip would be to remove or disengage the screensaver alltogether, as you only get in trouble when your system goes into screensaver-mode...dont get in that mode ever...and problem solved....

On windows, you can set stuff to power down. Maybe your cpu is poweroing down, or the PCI-card itself, or some USB or firewire connection you use for your midi-port....who knows...
Old 28th November 2003
Gear nut

Np - I tend to get to the bottom quick as possible.....it looks mean sometimes I guess...

Quote:
Maybe your cpu is poweroing down, or the PCI-card itself, or some USB or firewire connection you use for your midi-port....who knows...
This is definitely part of what's up, I'm just nosing around looking for solutions to it...

As far as the screensaver, I don't have a seperate screensaver, it's just the OSX one that's built-in, and I turned it off right away...

WB
Old 28th November 2003
Gear nut

Quote:
As far as the screensaver, I don't have a seperate screensaver, it's just the OSX one that's built-in, and I turned it off right away...
And that whas not in the earlier postings...maybe simply because i jumped on your back before you even could type it...

Lets just forget all this.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search