The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD Shadow Hills Compressor is awesome Dynamics Plugins
Old 22nd September 2014
7+1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo View Post
One of the bottom lines on this is the average listener couldn't tell the difference if you used hardware or the plug in. The average listener couldn't care less. If you have high end clients willing to pay large hourly fees and you want to impress them with racks full of stuff, then it might be reasonable to spend 8 grand on a comp. If not I would recommend the plug.
L.
Let me guess... The guitars in your avatar are all Seagull acoustic guitars and japanese Strats and Les Pauls... Because the average client or listener couldn't care less or tell the difference...
Old 22nd September 2014
Lives for gear

When I jumped into the UAD platform recently I was rather hopful that this would impress.
Unfortunately it didn't do it for me.
Some aspects were very good but the overall sound I didn't like.
Still looking for a great Mix buss / mastering style (colour) compressor.
Maybe the Fairchild will do it ? Will have to download a newer UAD version a try sometime.
Old 22nd September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7+1 View Post
Let me guess... The guitars in your avatar are all Seagull acoustic guitars and japanese Strats and Les Pauls... Because the average client or listener couldn't care less or tell the difference...
I would be a proponent of buying the best tools that you can afford. But is there really a $7000 difference in the sound between the SH Comp and the UAD plug in? Maybe to some, but most of my clients are musicians. They couldn't tell a Shadow Hills comp from a Panasonic DVD player. They don't care how I get the sound they like, they just want me to get it. If I thought the SH comp was a good buy I'd recommend it. I don't think it is. It's a real money loser if you buy it new. But as I said, if you have clients paying big dollar and you have large cash flow, then it doesn't matter. I'd guess a large majority of people on this board have smaller project studios or bedroom setups. The UAD would probably be a better and more affordable option. For the person dealing with a steady stream of platinum selling artists, the hardware is probably preferable. And Seagull actually makes some decent sounding acoustics. I saw a guy on stage one night with a $400 model that sounded just about as good as several other people who were playing 400 and 800 series Taylors at that show. Just because it doesn't cost thousands of dollars doesn't mean it's not very useable in many situations.
L.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search