The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sampletank 3 countdown...
Old 21st November 2013
Gear Nut

Sampletank 3 countdown...

according to the ik multimedia reps Sampletank 3 will drop in 2013? your thought? i just cant believe Sampletank 3 is dropping in 2013 without any fanfare. i received my Guitar Center Holiday flyer and no word for Sampletank 3. i think more like NAMM 2014 announcment of Sampletank 3 and the app will actually be released at the end of the first quarter 2014. what are your thoughts?
Old 21st November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBlakey View Post
i just cant believe Sampletank 3 is dropping in 2013 without any fanfare
it took so damn long for that update that nobody is even thrilled.

cats been wanting that update for YEARS.

same thing as the DETOX album; after a while you just quit giving a ****.
Old 21st November 2013
Lives for gear

besides, you would be hard-pressed to find anybody that said that Sampletank was their 'go to' instrument...
Old 21st November 2013
Lives for gear

besides, you would be hard-pressed to find anybody that said that Sampletank was their 'go to' instrument...
Old 21st November 2013
Lives for gear
**** I got started on Sampletank Free. That was a long time ago.

I will always hold Sampletank dear for that, and can't wait to see how IK handles a virtual instrument this gen.

And I need my Tron sounds back.
Old 21st November 2013
I will not be looking forward to this, might check it out though for fun.
Old 21st November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
**** I got started on Sampletank Free. That was a long time ago.

I will always hold Sampletank dear for that, and can't wait to see how IK handles a virtual instrument this gen.

And I need my Tron sounds back.
^^^ Trons are FTW...mad slept on. Squids Tron Library and the Sampletron library are so dope. (G-Force M-Tron Pro + the expansions are better tho). I suppose you either love Trons or hate em tho.

I love ST btw....It will always have it's place. All the OG IK instruments for that matter.
Old 21st November 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Dutches View Post
^^^ Trons are FTW...mad slept on. Squids Tron Library and the Sampletron library are so dope. (G-Force M-Tron Pro + the expansions are better tho). I suppose you either love Trons or hate em tho.

I love ST btw....It will always have it's place. All the OG IK instruments for that matter.
I have always wondered about the M-Tron stuff, I figured I did not want to double up.

Yup. I don't even talk about the Tron stuff. You dig deep in there and there are some absolute gems, but since anyone can get them if they find em, I just usually stay quiet
Old 21st November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have always wondered about the M-Tron stuff, I figured I did not want to double up.

Yup. I don't even talk about the Tron stuff. You dig deep in there and there are some absolute gems, but since anyone can get them if they find em, I just usually stay quiet
haha yea...I've notice people who have given the Tron stuff test runs are wayy turned off by them, for whatever reason. People seem to stay far away. Works for me.

The M-Tron libraries are, IMO, easier to work with, they sit in the mix better. The GUI is cleaner and the controls are more intuitive. I also like that you can split the keyboard with 2 different patches in M-Tron
Old 21st November 2013
Here for the gear

I went to 64 bit DAW a while ago but keep a beat up older macbook just for Mellotron and Philharmonik. Some sick weird sounds in the Tron.
Old 22nd November 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Dutches View Post
The M-Tron libraries are, IMO, easier to work with, they sit in the mix better. The GUI is cleaner and the controls are more intuitive. I also like that you can split the keyboard with 2 different patches in M-Tron
Sampletron has 16 channels though. I haven't really needed to split. It would be convenient but I'm so used to separating channels anyway.
I hear you on sitting in the mix, sometimes I dirty up everything else just to get it to glue!
Old 24th November 2013
New Sample Tank?
Not sure it'll work. They took beyond forever to update it. There's so much more out now. It better be mind blowing.

Sent
Old 24th November 2013
M2E
Lives for gear

Their competition is Nexus and I have to say, Nexus is killing it right now.
Incredible sounds all the way around. Best soft synth out period!

It will be interesting for both new users but especially for existing users.

Marc
Old 24th November 2013
Lives for gear
While Sampletank is obviously due for an update, I must say that Mellotron is STILL incredible.
Old 25th November 2013
Gear Addict

SampleTank 3 at 2014 NAMM

Stopped by the IK forum. Peter announced this. Think link will only work if you're signed in, but anyway..

IK Multimedia Forums • View topic - IT'S OFFICIAL! SAMPLETANK 3 WILL BE SHOWN AT NAMM 2014!

IT'S OFFICIAL! SAMPLETANK 3 WILL BE SHOWN AT NAMM 2014!
Postby Peter_IK » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:08 pm

I suppose if you're into all that social media stuff, maybe its announced on the defacebook tweeter things but I didn't find it on IK's site news, just Peters announcement in the forum
Old 25th November 2013
nice this is good news. hopefully it comes out in 2013 like they said it would be all year long
Old 25th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Their competition is Nexus and I have to say, Nexus is killing it right now.
Incredible sounds all the way around. Best soft synth out period
what about Omnisphere? c'mon, now
Old 25th November 2013
^^^^He's right. Nexus & Sample Tanl are samplers/sample players.

Omnisphere is a Synth that has presets but has the components to create anything from scratch.

So Nex/S-Tank is like buying bisquits from the grocery store. 2 companies compete.

Omnisphere is an actual baker with raw ingredients. No competition.

No wrong or right just a matter of necessity in your personal work flow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
Old 25th November 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drethe5th View Post
New Sample Tank?
Not sure it'll work. They took beyond forever to update it. There's so much more out now. It better be mind blowing.

Sent
Without a doubt.

This is what has me VERY curious.
A second rate rompler would not be a good look for IK right now. It has to stand up to not only what's out there, including Motif Sonic 2 (Halion).... it also has to keep quality standard with it's other stuff. I think they do NOT want to throw something cheap out there, it would reflect upon the entire line and brand imo.

We know they model and emulate, we do not know what their current sampling capability is.
Old 25th November 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyLe ForMatz View Post
it took so damn long for that update that nobody is even thrilled.

cats been wanting that update for YEARS.

same thing as the DETOX album; after a while you just quit giving a ****.
This

Quote:
and this

Quote:
Originally Posted by drethe5th View Post
New Sample Tank?

Sent
and definitely this lol

Quote:
We know they model and emulate, we do not know what their current sampling capability is.
I'm sure the quality will be on point with whatever they sample. Miroslav Philharmonik is still an impressive set of string samples. It's not nearly as playable as the newer LASS, EastWest, etc libraries or anything but... for just blunt string samples, it's really difficult to beat. It still sounds extremely good.

I personally am not really interested in SampleTank3. I've been waiting for a VST that can truly rival a hardware Motif rack... which I don't think Nexus or Kontakt's stock library are quite there yet. So.. i've just opted to pony up and grab the Motif rack in a few months. I don't anticipate Sampletank being able to be that "one stop shop" I'm looking for... where I could literally produce everything just off of one unit.
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
i've just opted to pony up and grab the Motif rack in a few months
Motif rack ain't kinda out-dated / played out?

didn't that thing come out like a decade ago or something crazy?
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

I've been 64 bit for over a year, it would have to do something compelling for me to pay for an upgrade.

It's been replaced by Kontakt for me, there are so many great sounding libraries in that format.

If it the same library rehashed why bother.

Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Motif rack ain't kinda out-dated / played out?

didn't that thing come out like a decade ago or something crazy?
Not in my opinion. Sounds are sounds, especially when there's a lot of bread and butter stuff in it. The only thing that gets outdated is the mind! Lol

Sent from my SGH-T999
Old 26th November 2013
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoubleyou View Post
If it the same library rehashed why bother.
It is nowhere near a "rehash" of anything. It is a major upgrade. The combination of high-quality samples made with supreme instruments and world class musicians, the finest recording equipment and studios, and IK master expertise in sound programming make the SampleTank 3 sound collection far more than some ordinary collection that you may find bundled elsewhere simply for the sake of having impressive numbers, but an exquisite selection of thousands of instruments hand-crafted one by one with countless hours of passionate craftsmanship work, according to the purest Made in Italy tradition.
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
Not in my opinion. Sounds are sounds, especially when there's a lot of bread and butter stuff in it. The only thing that gets outdated is the mind! Lol

Sent from my SGH-T999
Exactly...I never understood this logic. How is a sound dated? Are guitars dated? Strings? Drums?

I guess it makes sense if you are trying to sound like everybody else at the current moment...
Old 26th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
It is nowhere near a "rehash" of anything. It is a major upgrade. The combination of high-quality samples made with supreme instruments and world class musicians, the finest recording equipment and studios, and IK master expertise in sound programming make the SampleTank 3 sound collection far more than some ordinary collection that you may find bundled elsewhere simply for the sake of having impressive numbers, but an exquisite selection of thousands of instruments hand-crafted one by one with countless hours of passionate craftsmanship work, according to the purest Made in Italy tradition.
I bought all VI libraries some time ago as I had an impression that there will be a free Sampletank 3 and also old libraries can be used in ST3.

So how is it?
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

It boggles the mind that in this day and age people would be excited about ST3. ST2 was OK I guess, but was really not that spectacular....certainly not in comparison to Omnisphere. Also, someone mentioned that Nexus 2 was the best vsti ever? Really? If that were true I would be one depressed person..... and have to pull out my old Korg M1 again.
Old 26th November 2013
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacCartney View Post
I bought all VI libraries some time ago as I had an impression that there will be a free Sampletank 3 and also old libraries can be used in ST3.

So how is it?
There will not be a free version upon release, this was also the case with SampleTank 2.
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
It boggles the mind that in this day and age people would be excited about ST3. ST2 was OK I guess, but was really not that spectacular....certainly not in comparison to Omnisphere. Also, someone mentioned that Nexus 2 was the best vsti ever? Really? If that were true I would be one depressed person..... and have to pull out my old Korg M1 again.
Sampletank and Omnisphere shouldn't be compared.

If you're comparing them, no wonders why your mind is boggled

Anyways, after reading what the rep just said (did you read it?), I am even more excited.

I have not bought anything from IK since, maybe Fender.

So to me this, is like UAD releasing a synth.
Old 26th November 2013
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
what about Omnisphere? c'mon, now
Sorry, don't own that one but, I have played it on a few occasions and yes, it is good but Nexus is today's sounds.
Omnisphere sounded good, big and wide but, the sounds weren't up to date but then again, that was about 2 years ago when I had a chance to mess with it.
Back on topic, IK is a great company and I own a lot of their plugins if not all of them.
The sounds in ST3 will have to come up a long way.
For me to upgrade/update, it will have to be better than Nexus/ANA/Akai MPC Ren Synths/Logic Pro New Instruments.
I'm dialing back this year/next year and getting rid of stuff that just doesn't get used anymore.
Tired of buying the same thing over and over.

I do love the Philharmonik and SampleMoog and SampleTron.

I miss them but, let's see what they do.

Marc
📝 Reply