The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mac Mini i7 2.6 with profire 610?
Old 9th November 2013
Gear Head
Question Mac Mini i7 2.6 with profire 610?

Hi everyone,

I really want to switch from pc to mac. The only option I can afford is mac mini. I'm planning to order it from apple store next week (i7 / 2.6). Anyway, there's one thing I'm concerned about which is my M-audio Profire 610 interface.

I had some problems with Profire drivers and firewire chipset compatibility on my pc. I got it all solved but wouldn't like to come across similar issues again with new machine. Is any of you using these two together? Would you please share your impressions?

ThX

Jakub
Old 9th November 2013
Gear Maniac
I've used my profire 2626 with a Mac mini through the thunderbolt-to-firewire adapter, and it works fine on OS 10.8.4. However, it's not qualified with 10.9 yet, and M-audio has been just ridiculously terrible at updating drivers in a timely fashion. So unless you can buy a new Mac mini and put 10.8 on it, I wouldn't expect that you can get it to work anytime in the near future.
Old 10th November 2013
Gear Head
Thx a lot for reply, very helpful info

I'll ask Apple if they can provide me with a mac mini with 10.8.4. installed instead of the newest version.

M-audio is acting strange towards their customers by not keeping drivers up to date.
I'll consider getting a different audio interface. Although I really like profire 610 , all this drivers/compatibility issues are getting very annoying. As I mentioned I'd had a problems with drivers on pc before.

btw. how do you find mac mini for music/audio production?
Old 10th November 2013
Gear Head
I forgot to ask, why have you used thunderbolt-to-firewire adapter when mac mini does have a firewire slot??? Isnt it compatibile with m-audio hardware?
Old 11th November 2013
Gear Maniac
Oh whoops you're right - it's not a thunderbolt-firewire adapter, it's a firewire 800-firewire 400 adapter. I've got so many things hooked up to my computer that I can't keep them straight anymore. .

As for the Mac mini in general, I think it's absolutely great. I had Mac mini server for about a year and then upgraded to a new miniwhen the ivy bridge processor model with usb 3 came out last year, and both have performed incredibly well - stable, fast, and very quiet unless you're really taxing the CPU, which doesn't happen often. And that's working 50+ hours per week on them many weeks. I bought 8gb RAM upgrades for both from OWC and installed them myself, took all of 5 minutes. So, highly recommended.
Old 11th November 2013
Gear Head
All clear now Thx a lot. Can't wait to get my mini...
Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdk View Post
Thx a lot for reply, very helpful info

I'll ask Apple if they can provide me with a mac mini with 10.8.4. installed instead of the newest version.

M-audio is acting strange towards their customers by not keeping drivers up to date.
I'll consider getting a different audio interface. Although I really like profire 610 , all this drivers/compatibility issues are getting very annoying. As I mentioned I'd had a problems with drivers on pc before.

btw. how do you find mac mini for music/audio production?
M-Audio and Air, were recently sold by Avid to inMusic, and no doubt are being re-orged.

I need drivers for my old Midiman branded Midisport 2x2. driver support stopped at 10.6.8.

Old 12th November 2013
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoubleyou View Post
M-Audio and Air, were recently sold by Avid to inMusic, and no doubt are being re-orged.

I need drivers for my old Midiman branded Midisport 2x2. driver support stopped at 10.6.8.

Damn, I hope they will get their **** together quickly
Old 12th November 2013
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoubleyou View Post

Have you tried just plugging the midiman into your mac? I have a midisport 4x4 hooked up to my Mac mini and it works flawlessly - I think the drivers are just automatically part of the OS now.
Old 12th November 2013
Gear Nut

It'd be great to see new drivers for these profire interfaces. I'm also looking at the new mini with 10.9 and I would like to be able to utilize 2x ADAT ports like those on the profire 2626.
Old 6th February 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase90 View Post
It'd be great to see new drivers for these profire interfaces. I'm also looking at the new mini with 10.9 and I would like to be able to utilize 2x ADAT ports like those on the profire 2626.
Any luck with this since then? I'm looking to move to 10.9 now using my Profire 2626. It'd be interesting to know how your setup worked out. Pro Tools?
Old 7th February 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kasika View Post
Any luck with this since then? I'm looking to move to 10.9 now using my Profire 2626. It'd be interesting to know how your setup worked out. Pro Tools?
It should work for you. I have mine running fine on 10.9.5. It's also compatible with pt10 (I believe).

My setup has changed a lot since that post. New computer, etc.. But I think you'll be fine.

Pro Tools 10 Approved Audio Interfaces and Peripherals
Old 8th February 2015
Lives for gear

We use the profire at college w iMacs tb to fw800 adapter w fw800 to 400 cable. No problems at all. Running Logic Pro X
Old 8th February 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_gant View Post
We use the profire at college w iMacs tb to fw800 adapter w fw800 to 400 cable. No problems at all. Running Logic Pro X
Yes. They run fine. Avid - as you guys probably know - sold off M-Audio. This means driver updates for legacy products won't continue for much longer. That said, they're up to date Mac OS 10.10, which is very nice and wise of them to do.

I called their engineering dept and pled with them to please keep supporting the 2626. I suppose many other people made noise too. Such a cool unit. It's still a relevant interface.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search